Moderates

RMichael21

Original Poster
Hello Everyone! For most of our WDW trips, we've stayed at a deluxe resort (usually GF). Because we just did our first trip to DL, a deluxe really isn't in our price point for our next trip, which would probably be in February 2016. What is the best moderate resort for us too stay?

crispy

I have stayed at CSR and POR and liked them both a lot.

I think CSR has more of a deluxe feel and more amenities than the other moderates like a fitness room and a spa onsite. It also has a really great pool area with a Mayan pyramid. The hot tub is also very large which was nice. The buildings surround a lake so it's very pretty and calm. Because this is a convention hotel, there aren't as many kids there so I have always found it to be quieter than the other resorts we have stayed at.

POR is a beautiful, laidback resort. I have only stayed in the Mansion section which we liked a lot. They also have princess rooms which are pretty cool if you have little girls. Those rooms have a lot of neat little touches. They also have a boat to Downtown Disney. I main pool was huge and fun, but it doesn't have the "Wow!" factor of the CSR pool (or any of the other mods to be honest). This resort gets slammed for being large and spread out, but we never had an issue with it and the main buildings never seemed very far away to me.

I think you would like either of those resorts and POFQ is usually highly recommended although I have never stayed there. CBR tends to get mixed reviews and is currently undergoing room refurbishments so you might want to avoid it. It is currently only moderate with full size beds while the others all have queens. That will be remedied in the refurb, but I wouldn't chance it now.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We have stayed at POR, POFQ, and the FW cabins. We loved all 3! The cabins are not for everyone, but they are so quiet and secluded after a hectic day in the parks. Plus it is the only moderate with a full kitchen and private BBQ grill, so you can save some money on dining if you wish. People talk about having to use the internal buses, and then a boat or another bus to get anywhere, but that never bothered us. YMMV.

gooftroop5

We usually stay Deluxe or Villa each trip, but due to budget last year we stayed Moderate. We chose POR and absolutely loved it. We got a really good rate on a Royal Room. The scenery is great. It was quiet even though it was June during a busier time. Everything was in close proximity to our room. The food court was magnificent!

I have stayed at CSR before and did not care for it. Maybe it was because my room was on the exact opposite side of El Centro. I was there for a conference and not with my family though, so maybe things would have been different if I had the whole family with me?

We have also stayed at the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness and we love them too. They are pricier than the regular Moderates, but include a full kitchen and separate bedroom like the Villas. They are very quiet, but are a little more rustic than the Deluxe and Villas. They are pretty spread out, but there is an internal bus.

bethymouse

PORS is a very nice moderate. The restaurant Boatwright's is a nice one.
POFQ is nice as well, but no Table Service restaurant.
I wouldn't consider the cabins a moderate price anymore, sadly.:(

brokedad

They are really all great, kind of depends on the theming that you would like to be in. They all have pros and cons, kind of like the old question of what are we eating for dinner. We have stayed at all of them, and honestly one isnt any better than the next, just watch some vids on youtube.

75disney

We have stayed at all 4 mods and several deluxe. Of the mods, I highly recommend CSR. It really does feel like a deluxe resort. The grounds are spacious and beautiful. Maya Grill is delicious (much better than the table service at CBR and POR). The food court is good. The room decor is soothing and nice. It was so beautiful there that we were disappointed that we didn't have more time to just enjoy the resort. It is now our 2nd favorite resort (CR is still first, after all what can beat being that close to MK with a monorail running through it).

My second choice for a mod is POFQ. It's small size is a plus and the theming is well done. It is very quaint.

Where did you stay in DL? We are planning a trip there for August of 2015 and I can't decide which hotel to stay at. I have only been there once in 1999 before they expanded with the new hotel, park, and DTD.

DizneyPryncess

We love POFQ. If you like a smaller sized resort with a beautiful theme, you'll enjoy your stay there. The ferry over to DTD is a nice perk. :)

The only other moderate I've stayed at is POR, but I preferred POFQ for the smaller size.

Tinkerbell 8

I've stayed at POFQ, POR and CBR and my favorite is POFQ. They do not have a table service restaurant however the resort is very small and quiet so its very relaxing. Taking a stroll along the river is a great relaxing way to wind down after a long day at the parks. Also, the boat to DTD is a great feature and there are plenty of great places to eat if having a table service out of the parks is important to you. But again, it all depends on what type of theme you enjoy the most, I would suggest looking at pictures/videos to get a better idea of the rooms and the resorts. You can't go wrong with any of the resorts in Disney, it just depends on what works for your family.

Weather_Lady

I'd recommend PORS or POFQ, depending on whether you prefer beignets, a food court and shorts walks (POFQ), or a food court and TS restaurant and a more far-flung layout (PORS). Both are recently renovated and have lovely pools, lounges, and the Sassagoula River Cruise to DTD.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a moderate has to offer, and at how similar the amenities are to deluxes (with the notable exception of location; not being situated right next to a park). We stayed in a Deluxe for the first time in May (WL, after prior stays at CSR and PORS), and although it was lovely, the experience didn't feel like a big step up from our prior experiences at the moderates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom