Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

stevehousse

Good bump! I was just thinking of rereading it to since we r trying to plan a trip soon... Some advice please...

Probably going 3rd week of April, 19-25, Sunday-Saturday. Was thinking no parks on travel days and getting 4 day tickets with 1 day in the middle to go to the beach or Hollywood or something? Still trying decide on what exactly to do...is 2 full days in each park good enough to see everything?

Anyone know what kind of crowds to expect? Easter is super early next year (March) so I thought that might be a good time to go, plus I have to schedule around my sisters cheerleading tryouts for sophomore year...

my wife, our 3 kids (6,3,6 months), and my sister all have never been to DL, only I hve twice but under the age of 5. It's seriously been about 25 years since I have been there!

Any advice on staying at the Carousel Inn and Suites hotel across the street. We woukd get a connecting suite if we stayed there. Any other hotels you would recommend that are walking distance to DL (very close proximity we r looking for) that can accommodate all 6 of us would be much appreciated! I just pray no attractions that are only at DL are not down for a refurb when we go :(

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Crowds should be moderate, but always prepare for heavy crowds on some days - they're just inevitable.

I would also consider moving your trip to May if possible - it looks like that's when the 60th celebration with all of its new offerings is supposedly kicking off.

stevehousse

Crowds should be moderate, but always prepare for heavy crowds on some days - they're just inevitable.

I would also consider moving your trip to May if possible - it looks like that's when the 60th celebration with all of its new offerings is supposedly kicking off.
Ya unfortunately we wanted to go in May but my sister had all her cheerleading try ours and finals that month so we pushed it back a few weeks...

Figments Friend

I went to DL in early May this year, thinking it would be a good time as it was a couple of weeks after the Easter crush, Spring Break, and before Mothers Day mania and the eventual Memorial Day crush.

I was surprised to find it quite busy.
I would probably not go in May again based on what i experienced crowd-level wise, but i was told later that was a bit of a unusual happening.
The weather was also a surprise...very hot for that time of year.
Again, it was a fluke....but felt it worth noting.

The 60th kickoff will likely draw in a lot of locals and other visitors wanting to experience the start of the celebration.
This would lead me to believe it will be busier then normal...so if it was me choosing to go then, i would likely go later in the year.

Cosmic Commando

I was scanning back through this thread the other day, and I don't believe we have posted this picture here!

dlrepcotcomparison.jpg

That is Epcot side-by-side with the entire DLR at the same zoom level. Perhaps the best way for a WDW vet to visualize what DLR is like is to start with this picture. Imagine Epcot, only in place of Future World is a Magic Kingdom with more rides. In place of World Showcase is a beefier Hollywood Studios. Disneyland and DCA are that close to each other. Roughly where the Boardwalk and Y&BC are, are where the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel are. Instead of the Boardwalk restaurants and shops, you have a Disney Village Marketplace sized Downtown Disney there with the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel. Walking from the back of DCA to the back of Disneyland is roughly the same distance as walking from the American Adventure to the resort bus stops at Epcot.

RMichael21

That's very typical and average for July in SoCal. It's nearly statistically impossible for it to rain in July (and June, August and September) in coastal Southern California.

anaheimvsorlandorainfallSmall.jpg
Exactly. We were there from July 6th through 13th and there was never a single dark cloud or rain drop.

teacherlady19

We were at DL one year on the day after Thanksgiving (typically a crowded day), and it was raining. The crowds were (amazingly) light until later in the afternoon when the sun finally did come out. By then, we were almost done.

Donna

seahawk7

Just curious about what you DL veterans think about the talk of putting Star Wars Land in Toontown's place. I'm sorry if I'm going off topic but I really want your opinions.

seahawk7

I know, that's why I was letting you know. It's called "Star Wars in Disneyland", or something like that. Shouldn't take too long to find.:)
I think I found it. I posted there so I guess will see. Thanks for responding. I'm really curious about this topic because I am passionate about DL since I consider it the HOME park and it should be preserved. So anyway, thanks.

TP2000

I was scanning back through this thread the other day, and I don't believe we have posted this picture here!

dlrepcotcomparison.jpg

That is Epcot side-by-side with the entire DLR at the same zoom level. Perhaps the best way for a WDW vet to visualize what DLR is like is to start with this picture...

@Cosmic Commando that is always such a perfect photo to describe to the East Coasters what Disneyland is all about. Thank you so much for bringing it to this thread!

And remember kids, there are almost as many rides, shows and attractions in that two-park Disneyland Resort complex as there are in the entire WDW four-park complex. And there are also as many parades, water shows, and night spectaculars in the Disneyland Resort complex as there currently are at WDW's four park complex. And it's all within easy walking distance.

Like they say at Ripley's Believe It Or Not, it's... strange but true!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom