Monorails - because people can't stop talking about it!

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Did they announce it to you? If not, how do you know?
No, but I gathered enough circumstantial evidence, including internal documents and quotes by former CM's to draw that conclusion. I did this research over a period of a few years as part of an investigative journalism piece I was working on and was going to publish. The story remains unfinished and I may finish it some day. If I do, all my sources will be stated as part of the story.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No, but I gathered enough circumstantial evidence, including internal documents and quotes by former CM's to draw that conclusion. I did this research over a period of a few years as part of an investigative journalism piece I was working on and was going to publish. The story remains unfinished and I may finish it some day. If I do, all my sources will be stated as part of the story.

So in other words your sources cannot be revealed as they have not been documented yet.

Are you referring to your notes or is your information just extrapolated from your memory of what a former Cast Member thinks might have been told to them by a bus driver?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
So in other words your sources cannot be revealed as they have not been documented yet.

Are you referring to your notes or is your information just extrapolated from your memory of what a former Cast Member thinks might have been told to them by a bus driver?
My sources can not be revealed because the story (a) is a work in progress, and (b) hasn't been published yet. Yes, I was referring to my notes.

There's a lot more to the story that (believe it or not) I have kept quiet about all this time. Basically, two big infrastructure projects were planned for WDW. Monorail expansion - as well as a new complimentary light rail system - was one project. The second project is what became NextGen and My Magic +. I'm still researching this and don't know what killed the transportation projects. I'll guess it was a variety of reasons, including NextGen eating up the budgets of both projects (and then some).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
My sources can not be revealed because the story (a) is a work in progress, and (b) hasn't been published yet. Yes, I was referring to my notes.

There's a lot more to the story that (believe it or not) I have kept quiet about all this time. Basically, two big infrastructure projects were planned for WDW. Monorail expansion - as well as a new complimentary light rail system - was one project. The second project is what became NextGen and My Magic +. I'm still researching this and don't know what killed the transportation projects. I'll guess it was a variety of reasons, including NextGen eating up the budgets of both projects (and then some).
If you aren't going to reveal your sources and have no intention of publishing your research then shut up about the whole thing. It's tantmount to "Nana na nana I know something you don't know" and is annoying as hell.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
If you aren't going to reveal your sources and have no intention of publishing your research then shut up about the whole thing. It's tantmount to "Nana na nana I know something you don't know" and is annoying as hell.
I do intend on publishing it. Sorry if it's annoying you.

Foltzy

I recall reading that the TTC was out of room for an expansion. And EPCOT monorail would become the new TTC if an expansion to the other parks happened. Which is unlikely because of very high costs

nace888

I recall reading that the TTC was out of room for an expansion. And EPCOT monorail would become the new TTC if an expansion to the other parks happened. Which is unlikely because of very high costs
That was the plan I believe. HOWEVER, if the TTC were to house another beam, it'd have to be next to the inside loop, and do a flyover... But I believe the EPCOT station was plans for a new beam.

bh7812

I love the Monorails. I want to Pilot one, but with Automation on the way, they're not accepting College Program into the Monorail Department. Kinda bummer for me. :S

I love them too! I'm not at all much of a fan of regular trains but monorails I am! I have all the spiels on my PC/hard drive that are floating around, two monorail t shirts-the one that says please stand clear of the doors in Spanish is my favorite one and gets a lot of attention whenever I wear it. I even have two older Monorail Pilot training manuals that I have studied front to back. I got them a few Christmases ago and as I understand it they weren't cheap at all. I have a pilot wings pin-now I just need the official uniform and earn my own wings!

One of my dreams, like you, has been to be a monorail pilot! I looked into going to UCF for college and doing it coming out of high school-my family wanted me to go to school here in Chicago, I wasn't happy about it. Looked into it again 7 years ago-family objected again :(. I've wanted to do this since I was little, the drive and determination hasn't gone away. I really talked to my family about this at the beginning of the summer and they're FINALLY on board with and supporting this. Being well out of college now, I can apply regularly no problem so that's what I'm doing! Im taking my annual Disney trip next month and right now planning to apply while I'm there. I'll do it on a non park day..it'll be easier to do it in person..easier for me, Disney, everyone. Out ahead of my trip I've already started looking into apartments so that if I'm hired I can just go to the apt complex I choose and get a unit.

With the automation coming I know all too well my window of opportunity to do this is getting very short. If I'm going to do this it really needs to be this year. I don't want to grow old regretting I didn't do this so I'm just going to go for it next month and hope for the best. I'm still young and healthy so the job shouldn't be any problem. If I'm hired I want to do at least some classes at UCF so I can make a start towards pursuing a few other dreams too :)

My advice to you would be if you really want to do this, just go for it-apply. With the automation coming we don't have a whole lotta time left to try for it. You could always do some college classes down there, or wait until the automation corms for school..there's definitely some options for you ;) I'd say just go fir it now and worry about school and stuff after you're hired. It sounds like this is as big a dream for you as it is me so don't end up regretting this later. Who knows maybe we'll be co-workers! It'd be nice to see a few of us that have been trying to do this for years be among the few final groups of people to do the job as it is now. Whatever happens to you, good luck!

nace888

I love them too! I'm not at all much of a fan of regular trains but monorails I am! I have all the spiels on my PC/hard drive that are floating around, two monorail t shirts-the one that says please stand clear of the doors in Spanish is my favorite one and gets a lot of attention whenever I wear it. I even have two older Monorail Pilot training manuals that I have studied front to back. I got them a few Christmases ago and as I understand it they weren't cheap at all. I have a pilot wings pin-now I just need the official uniform and earn my own wings!

One of my dreams, like you, has been to be a monorail pilot! I looked into going to UCF for college and doing it coming out of high school-my family wanted me to go to school here in Chicago, I wasn't happy about it. Looked into it again 7 years ago-family objected again :(. I've wanted to do this since I was little, the drive and determination hasn't gone away. I really talked to my family about this at the beginning of the summer and they're FINALLY on board with and supporting this. Being well out of college now, I can apply regularly no problem so that's what I'm doing! Im taking my annual Disney trip next month and right now planning to apply while I'm there. I'll do it on a non park day..it'll be easier to do it in person..easier for me, Disney, everyone. Out ahead of my trip I've already started looking into apartments so that if I'm hired I can just go to the apt complex I choose and get a unit.

With the automation coming I know all too well my window of opportunity to do this is getting very short. If I'm going to do this it really needs to be this year. I don't want to grow old regretting I didn't do this so I'm just going to go for it next month and hope for the best. I'm still young and healthy so the job shouldn't be any problem. If I'm hired I want to do at least some classes at UCF so I can make a start towards pursuing a few other dreams too :)

My advice to you would be if you really want to do this, just go for it-apply. With the automation coming we don't have a whole lotta time left to try for it. You could always do some college classes down there, or wait until the automation corms for school..there's definitely some options for you ;) I'd say just go fir it now and worry about school and stuff after you're hired. It sounds like this is as big a dream for you as it is me so don't end up regretting this later. Who knows maybe we'll be co-workers! It'd be nice to see a few of us that have been trying to do this for years be among the few final groups of people to do the job as it is now. Whatever happens to you, good luck!
My goal (after talking to a College Program lady) is to take at least one class this semester, and apply for CP for next Spring! I intend to go into Monorails, and the lady told me that I could go into Monorails but would not be allowed to drive, only station work, which would be okay for me... with Automation still roughly 2 years away, if I can get into the department as an intern, it's possible I'd be offered a full time position, and then drive trained! I hope this works!

bh7812

My goal (after talking to a College Program lady) is to take at least one class this semester, and apply for CP for next Spring! I intend to go into Monorails, and the lady told me that I could go into Monorails but would not be allowed to drive, only station work, which would be okay for me... with Automation still roughly 2 years away, if I can get into the department as an intern, it's possible I'd be offered a full time position, and then drive trained! I hope this works!

I hope it works too, you deserve the chance to go for this! See I told you there'd probably be some options for you that will still allow you to do this! When I told my Mom about the automation project back at the beginning of June she really didn't believe me and figured I was pulling a fast one or something so I showed her all the articles and posts on here about it. She just sat there dumbfounded saying "I'll be damned... You weren't kidding about this". She just took a very long, deep breath and asked me this is what you really want isn't it? I answered yes. She said the only way my family will be able to even remotely support this is if I have an actual plan on where I'll live, etc before I go ahead and apply. Told her I'd really do research on it and that's what I've done ;) I was also asked what the hell I'll do when the automation is done. Told her give everything Ive got, do my best and maybe get asked to stay for a while. Then I got asked and what if that doesn't happen? I said I'll worry about that when the time comes, maybe look at getting transferred out to Anaheim. I love the Orlando area so fir me this would definitely be a very long term, possibly permanent move. I'm now trying to get her to sit long enough to look at all of it. She's saying she'll do it by the end of this month so I'm holding Mom to that. Trust me, if I could wear both my monorail shirts and pilot wings pin to my interview I'd do it! I'll probably have to dress a bit more professionally if I hope to be hired haha! At the very least I'm going to take one picture of all my stuff with me so they can see how much one chance means to me. So, if I get hired next month I'll start the long several months of station training then pilot training. The pieces and timing to be able to do it are finally "there" so I'm going for it!

Your plan is smart and sound. Right now fight to get into the CP and do a class or two during that. Do well in the stations/platforms then hopefully when the CP is done you'll be asked to stay then you can hopefully get trained for piloting. There's no doubt in my mind you'll make it and we'll be co workers! Good luck to us both, we're going to need it!

nace888

I hope it works too, you deserve the chance to go for this! See I told you there'd probably be some options for you that will still allow you to do this! When I told my Mom about the automation project back at the beginning of June she really didn't believe me and figured I was pulling a fast one or something so I showed her all the articles and posts on here about it. She just sat there dumbfounded saying "I'll be damned... You weren't kidding about this". She just took a very long, deep breath and asked me this is what you really want isn't it? I answered yes. She said the only way my family will be able to even remotely support this is if I have an actual plan on where I'll live, etc before I go ahead and apply. Told her I'd really do research on it and that's what I've done ;) I was also asked what the hell I'll do when the automation is done. Told her give everything Ive got, do my best and maybe get asked to stay for a while. Then I got asked and what if that doesn't happen? I said I'll worry about that when the time comes, maybe look at getting transferred out to Anaheim. I love the Orlando area so fir me this would definitely be a very long term, possibly permanent move. I'm now trying to get her to sit long enough to look at all of it. She's saying she'll do it by the end of this month so I'm holding Mom to that. Trust me, if I could wear both my monorail shirts and pilot wings pin to my interview I'd do it! I'll probably have to dress a bit more professionally if I hope to be hired haha! At the very least I'm going to take one picture of all my stuff with me so they can see how much one chance means to me. So, if I get hired next month I'll start the long several months of station training then pilot training. The pieces and timing to be able to do it are finally "there" so I'm going for it!

Your plan is smart and sound. Right now fight to get into the CP and do a class or two during that. Do well in the stations/platforms then hopefully when the CP is done you'll be asked to stay then you can hopefully get trained for piloting. There's no doubt in my mind you'll make it and we'll be co workers! Good luck to us both, we're going to need it!
I got a feelin you got this bagged! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom