New Return Procedure at Soarin'

ninjaprincesst

In this case, it is indeed absurd. Disney is trying to come up with a system to keep 240 minute waits from forming.

Does anyone on this website really get in line for Soarin' when it has a 3- to 4-hour wait? Really?

Despite the outrage, I somehow doubt many on this website will actually see a negative impact. Most of us know to either FP+ the ride or rush there in the morning. Neither strategy is impacted.
The thing is , lets say there is a 90 minute standby, you wait in line 90 minutes you can ride and, leave or go to world showcase or whatever, with this card system, you go at noon get a return time of 5, so if youwere going to ride and leave, you can't do that, you want to go to world showcase, you get on the opposite side of world showcase , then you have to rush all the way back to get to go stand in line, if you had just been allowed to wait by 1:30 you could have waited, ridden and be free to do what you want.

Captain Chaos

The thing is , lets say there is a 90 minute standby, you wait in line 90 minutes you can ride and, leave or go to world showcase or whatever, with this card system, you go at noon get a return time of 5, so if youwere going to ride and leave, you can't do that, you want to go to world showcase, you get on the opposite side of world showcase , then you have to rush all the way back to get to go stand in line, if you had just been allowed to wait by 1:30 you could have waited, ridden and be free to do what you want.
Not to mention you have an ADR at 5:00. What then? You already left your CC on file when booking the ADR. You don't show up, you get charged. You do show up, you miss your Soarin return time.

Yea, remember when WDW was magical and you didn't have to freaking plan to the minute?

Tom Morrow

Why now? Likely because of the impact of FP+. I noticed on my most recent trip that standby lines move slower due to an increase in the number of people using FP. For Soarin' this might be why they are trying it. To keep people out of a slow moving and unsatisfying line.
Actually, less people are entering the FP queue now than before FP+, and more importantly, DAS. It just appears to be more because it takes longer to process each Fastpass at the touchpoints.

- the available Fastpasses are constantly adjusted on the fly to match expected crowd patterns. With the old system, they were only adjusted when a ride lost some of it's capacity or was down.
- More Fastpasses are going unused than before because of pre-booking, being assigned three passes, strict return windows, and the fact that you can change your mind and modify a Fastpass selection to another attraction at any time before you use it.
- when a ride has a downtime, that Fastpass is automatically converted into one that can be used at any time for multiple attractions, so less people are waiting out for that specific attraction to re-open to use their Fastpass.
- the amount of people using a disability pass to enter the FP queues has decreased significantly by converting from the old GAC system to the new DAS system.

and numerous other factors.

Last edited:

morningstar

Actually, I find the unplanned Anna and Elsa theory the most plausible. This kind of system was essential there, where they had massive crowds in standby, when probably Princess Fairytale Hall was not designed with such long queues in mind. Soarin' has a big queue area; they could keep the status quo, but they thought since they're trying out the new policy with A & E, they might as well give it a test run on some other rides too.

seahawk7

It's amazing the lengths Disney will go to to think of every possible option besides building new rides. It's just sickening.
I totally agree. If the demand is so high then build more Soarin hang gliders and theaters. We were talking about this on another thread. Instead they want to mess with an INDOOR queue. If I choose to wait in the stand by line and I paid admission to the park let me stand in line. Not only are we having to pay for "experiences" and viewing areas that were free in the past, we potentially are having standing in lines taken away from us. I'm waiting for the Soarin Standing in Line Block Party that for $59, you can stand in line for Soarin while getting tapas or desserts. Shame on you Disney.

G00fyDad

I'll fill that in the 'conspiracy bin'

Disney frequently does different tests on lines, methods, etc. This isn't really unique.

True. I hope you're right about this one. I think it may be blowing up in their faces a bit, but their track record with decisions doesn't give me much hope.

Rinx

Disney is basically taking away the guest's freedom. First of all I think it's absolutely ridiculous how EVERYBODY looks exactly the same wearing the stupid magic band like a little dog collar around their wrist. It's just not right IMO. FP+ takes the whim out of your day at the parks and with this line testing crap we are basically being told what we can and cannot do. Why? All probably for a few more dollars in the gift shops and food courts. I mean we all know Disney is not hurting in any way in that department. It's time for Disney to just BACK OFF and don't break things that don't need fixing!!!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I totally agree. If the demand is so high then build more Soarin hang gliders and theaters. We were talking about this on another thread. Instead they want to mess with an INDOOR queue. If I choose to wait in the stand by line and I paid admission to the park let me stand in line. Not only are we having to pay for "experiences" and viewing areas that were free in the past, we potentially are having standing in lines taken away from us. I'm waiting for the Soarin Standing in Line Block Party that for $59, you can stand in line for Soarin while getting tapas or desserts. Shame on you Disney.

FWIW....

That would sell out daily.

wogwog

Actually there is more to it than dealing with guests.

If the attraction has a three hour line at closing and the attraction stays open the Attraction CMs must be available to operate it. For some attractions that means a minimum of ten CMs and they must be qualified on that attraction. They would get overtime pay and if they worked a certain amount of hours it could even be double-time. Then there is a rule that if two shifts have less than eight hours the entire time for both shifts double-time.

Keeping the attraction open means that maintenance and park cleaning cannot start. Also merchandise must stay open and have CMs available. More overtime.

Then you must keep transportation available. Since the Monorails and watercraft stop early that leaves buses. You will need bus drivers who are limited in the number of hours they can be behind the wheel by DOT regulations.

So controlling the line is important. I'm just not sure this is the way to do it.
This is the thread best guess so far. It is always about the Benjamins when dealing with the present day WDW. Gotta make the Wall Street numbers. A friend who visits the parks very frequently tells me even the beloved Mickey Ice Cream Bar has been hit. The price was recently increased and the size reduced. Nothing is too small to try to squeeze more profit. Remember the Benjamins. Then it all makes sense.

morningstar

That doesn't necessarily push more people into the FP line because they control the number of allotted FP+s.

Presumably the controlled number amounts to more than 3 per person now, since I've been hearing reports of people successfully using the new feature.

landauh

Disney is basically taking away the guest's freedom. First of all I think it's absolutely ridiculous how EVERYBODY looks exactly the same wearing the stupid magic band like a little dog collar around their wrist. It's just not right IMO. FP+ takes the whim out of your day at the parks and with this line testing crap we are basically being told what we can and cannot do. Why? All probably for a few more dollars in the gift shops and food courts. I mean we all know Disney is not hurting in any way in that department. It's time for Disney to just BACK OFF and don't break things that don't need fixing!!!

It isn't the MB (you can always op for the RFID card instead) that make people all look the same. It is the hairdo, clothes, and shoe fads along with iPhones, iPads, headsets, tattoos, etc. As for Disney backing off they should go back to having only a stand-by line with no FP at all. This would allow people to stand in long lines to their hearts-content.

dadddio

Disney is basically taking away the guest's freedom. First of all I think it's absolutely ridiculous how EVERYBODY looks exactly the same wearing the stupid magic band like a little dog collar around their wrist.
Everybody looks the same just because they are wearing similar bracelets? So if Dwayne Johnson is enjoying the park with his family the same day that I am, people are going to confuse my short, fat self with him? They must really be Magic Bands.
It's just not right IMO. FP+ takes the whim out of your day at the parks and with this line testing crap we are basically being told what we can and cannot do. Why? All probably for a few more dollars in the gift shops and food courts. I mean we all know Disney is not hurting in any way in that department. It's time for Disney to just BACK OFF and don't break things that don't need fixing!!!
Loads of guests believe that waiting in a single line for hours is a problem that needs fixing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom