What camera bag to bring? & WHAT CAMERA GEAR

xracer4844

Original Poster
Hello everyone...first post and first time going to Disney. We are going in October and we are SO EXCITED. I am probably going to bring my Sony Nex mirrorless system with me for around the park, but I know if I don't bring my Canon 50D I will regret it.

I want to buy a bag that is small and compact enough that it won't be in my way, and it can come onto all of the rides with me. Also would be nice if I can store my phone and some other junk in it. With the nex system NO PROBLEM. It doesnt really take up any space at all. The rest of the gear can stay in my room. When I bring the canon I will most likely just have one lens or two lenses MAX. I know I want to carry minimal.

What bag would be good for this? I have a lowepro pro messenger 200aw. But this bag is MASSIVE. I always pack everything in this bag for the airport. Filters, Bodies, 4 or 5 lenses, etc. I am thinking for the park, every day bag, I like the Ape Case Envoy compact. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/903060-REG/Ape_Case_ac520_or_Envoy_Compact_Messenger_Case.html It seems nice and small, easy to open and close. Easy to see into for bag checks.

What does everyone else use?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
One word of warning with backpacks. If you are visiting in the summer, they get seriously hot on your back. Doesn't help that they are typically black.

NowInc

Also, if possible, make sure if you go LowePro, that you get an AW model. The AW stands for All Weather. It tends to rain here in Florida. Randomly. A Lot. The AW cover can really save your butt in a pinch (also is hands on water rides)

xracer4844

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! My family has had a place in Naples for years, so I know what to expect with weather. I wanted something AW as I have a couple of bags from Lowepro with this feature. I carried the small lowepro apex bag for two weeks across poland and the ukraine and i used that rain cover almost every day!

Do you prefer that back pack over a messenger style bag? Is it a lot more convenient?

NowInc

My preference for the sling comes from the ability to get into the bag to swap lenses or put the camera away without having to take it off. I think bestbuy carries them (and many others). Its always a good idea to try them on and see which fits you best..as we are all different sizes :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the replies! My family has had a place in Naples for years, so I know what to expect with weather. I wanted something AW as I have a couple of bags from Lowepro with this feature. I carried the small lowepro apex bag for two weeks across poland and the ukraine and i used that rain cover almost every day!

Do you prefer that back pack over a messenger style bag? Is it a lot more convenient?
I like the backpack because in crowds it does not make you any wider. Having a bag hanging at the side causes it to get hit by people walking by in tight quarters.

I also like the way the Lowepro backpacks have the opening flat against your back - meaning it can't be opened by anyone. As NowInc says, you can also spin them around to the front and do lens changes without removing the bag.

MissM

I really like my Tenba Discovery mini in sage: http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-Discovery-637-322-Photo-Daypack/dp/B005DPJ51C/

Comes with a waterproof cover (which I have used several times and it worked flawlessly) and I like that it's not black. I also have enough room for things like sunglasses, wallet, cell phone in the top compartment and my camera and a lens or two in the bottom. Plus, you can easily fit a small umbrella or water bottle in the side pocket.

It's become my go-to bag when I don't want to carry a lot of lenses but I only carry one bag. (i.e. not a purse and a camera bag which I know is more of a girl issue.)

xracer4844

Original Poster
it seems like everyone prefers back packs for disney! is there lots of room on the rides for them? Does each ride have room to put the bag somewhere? Do they have rules about it?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
it seems like everyone prefers back packs for disney! is there lots of room on the rides for them? Does each ride have room to put the bag somewhere? Do they have rules about it?
I've taken a backpack on nearly every WDW ride, no issues.

Universal however will not let you take bags, and it's a real pain.

Clamman73

I used the Lowepro 202aw last fall and it worked out well...With it being a sling type, I just bring it to the front when I get into a ride, but it keeps the opening of the bag right there on top, so you can have easy access to the camera and it can be put away quickly.

Since I have a G6 and it's light and small enough, I had a wrist strap on it, but sometimes would add another strap (it's one of those emergency rope bracelets that I found at Walmart) around the wrist strap and Lowepro strap to make it like a rapid strap. I'm thinking besides Space, Expedition, Thunder, I don't really take the bag off my shoulder.
camerastrap.jpg

NowInc

I have brought a bigger bag on every single ride at WDW without ever having an issue :)

dadddio

I'm a big fan of the Tamrac Adventure 7 backpack. It has a good size area for camera gear and a separate area for other park-needed stuff.

Dragion

The OP and I are on the same Disney Cruise Ship ;)

I'm going to visit WDW & Universal at the end of August and I'm planning to bring the Sony A6000 with the
10-18mm, 35mm & 18-105mm.

I have the Lowepro AW202, but find it to large for my set up.
Since selling off all my Nikon gear and now converted to Sony mirrorless, this bag is no longer compatible.

I purchased the Sony LCS-EMF for this trip,but now I think that it might be a very tight fit for this combo.

I will be carrying a backpack for the usual family stuff, so would it be better to just keep the additional lenses in it and carry the camera on my Carry Speed swing strap with what ever lens I plan to use?

Any advice will be helpful.

Sorry OP for crashing in on your thread, but since we are both asking the same question I thought this will get our answer easier.

KeithVH

I would also say stay away from a traditional backpack. If you need to carry a lot, a sling is better but the 202 may be too big. Maybe a Tamrac Velocity?

Although, if I was really pressed, based on the OPs original spec, if you can find one, I would strongly suggest a LowePro Offroad. Repeat, if you can find one. It is a beltpack with compression straps and a shoulder strap. Customizable with removable lense side cases. It holds a lot. And with the straps right, you can even slow jog and not feel anything will fall off you. Stays secure. The belt takes a lot of load off the shoulder strap and allows you to control where the pack is. I can fit 2 bodies and 3 lenses in this sucker but it's no bigger than a foot square and 8 inches deep.

xracer4844

Original Poster
Sorry OP for crashing in on your thread, but since we are both asking the same question I thought this will get our answer easier.

No Problem!! I am thinking about getting this bag for Disney. I realistically plan on carrying my sony mirrorless with an 18-55 and a 16mm. I also have an external mic. for the camera and I may do some video. Im also going to bring my Canon 50D with a 50mm and a 10-24 wide. The rest of my crap can stay in the hotel. I always end up bringing everything and I end up using 20% of it. I brought so much stuff earlier this year to costa rica, that I got frustrated and didn't want to bring my camera a lot of the time.

This bag has a small compartment in the back to stash camera stuff when not in use - it has the rain cover which I love on the lowepro bags, and the whole upper compartment has enough room for personal things.

I tend to carry my dslr with a black rapid strap when I travel because it is so convenient. The Sony weighs nothing so it stays around my neck. I feel like the 50mm will be good enough for lots of shots and low light, and my 10-24 will be fine for everything else.

Dragion

That looks like a wise choice.
I too have a Sony ECM-XYST1M, but wasn't planning on bringing it...trying to keep the load light as possible.

Since I only have the Sony A6000 I wouldn't require anything to large.
I was considering this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._LP35188_PEU_Fastpack_100_Backpack_Black.html
Looks like a smaller version of my AW202.

While going through the parks, I plan on just carrying the camera on my CS sling strap.
I want a bag just in case it starts to rain for protection...plus to hold the other lenses that isn't being used.
Any suggestions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom