Nanea Volcano feature pool at Disney's Polynesian Resort closing in August for extended refurb

ABQ

Since most of us here are all into mindless speculation, I actually found the concept art for pool refurb and its exciting new water feature. Please keep in mind that this may be proprietary Disney information so use caution.

garden-hose-water_Beth-Kingery_Flickr.jpg
I can't believe they are even daring to consider a red hose. I mean, where's their sense of adventure these days. Red is so booooring, been done before. Sure, they could have gone with an even more boring green or black, but still, this red is weak at best. ;)

Bocabear

LOL Hysterical!
and probably true... I heard Joe Rohde is sending over his stylists to wrap the red hose with sustainable bamboo for an authentic Polynesian experience with a low carbon footprint.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Those construction walls would look so much better if they continued the shrub art all the way up to the top. The blue is extremely distracting.
Yep agreed. Not sure why they think that works.

They originally had them like that at mk on the hub bridge and later changed it to how you describe.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Any idea as to why the refurb will be for so long (2015)? Seems a bit lengthy for a pool refurb. Even if they tear down and start from scratch I would think they would expedite things considering it's a deluxe, monorail resort.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You know, Disney, if you are going to close one of the main pools at a resort, you should do more than just complimentary tickets to one of the water parks. Like, deeply discounted room rates.

Closing the main pool at WL and sending people to the quiet pool at VWL just doesn't cut it, especially since that smaller pool was just for guests staying at VWL......

mm121

super sad to see the volcano leaving. .the resort is going to feel so un poly with the loby destroyed and now the pool theming destroyed

If what I understand is correct, there is some major work to be done regarding the pool. The addition of a hot tub, kids play area and enclosing the pool area being just a few of the things.

excited to see the addition of a hot tub, never understood why poly didn't have one to begin with.

It actually was heavily rumored at one point that the entire resort would have to be closed and entirely rebuilt from the ground up.

im surprised they haven't ever done this, though bay lake tower is kind of doign that, since they tore down rooms then rebuilt on the land to increase density.

Originally they were going to let guests use the Grand Floridian pool as they have in the past when the main pool was closed for maintenance but because of the long time the pool will be down and the increased amounts of guests from the GF DVC using the pool they decided last week to not allow guests to use the GF pool.

I don’t really see the big issue. The East pool will still be available at the Polynesian resort and they will have a temporary bar set up. With all the longhouses closed and half of the longhouses closed that are next to the pool the room count will be less than it was when the resort opened in 1971 by 38 rooms. Back when it opened in 1971 it only had one pool and it was about the same size as the East pool. Guests seem to find a way to survive back then with one pool.

is it true longhouses are closed? haven't heard anything about that.

tikiman

super sad to see the volcano leaving. .the resort is going to feel so un poly with the loby destroyed and now the pool theming destroyed

excited to see the addition of a hot tub, never understood why poly didn't have one to begin with.

im surprised they haven't ever done this, though bay lake tower is kind of doign that, since they tore down rooms then rebuilt on the land to increase density.

is it true longhouses are closed? haven't heard anything about that.

The west side of Samoa and Niue were closed off a few weeks ago. That is the side facing the pool construction.

mm121

The west side of Samoa and Niue were closed off a few weeks ago. That is the side facing the pool construction.

I guess this makes sense especially if they intend to do some work at night time, though i would think most of this work would be done during the day to avoid interrupting sleeping guests, but i'm sure its better to just not use some rooms than to deal with complaints of guests not being able to give their kids naps etc

psherman42

Was over at the Poly today and it was even worse being there than I thought. There are plants blocking the door leading out the back of the GCH and the walkway/stream is being torn up. My earliest Disney memories are from when my family stayed at the Polynesian. I remember the first time we stayed there after this pool open and I was in love with it. It's devastating to see the state of this resort right now. Nothing that I remember and loved about this resort when I was younger is still there.

I wonder if/when Disney will release concept art for the new pool area. I'd love to see their plans.
PS..yes I saw the red hose picture.

mm121

So will they let Poly guests use the GF pool? Not like they check room keys.

theres a difference between simply allowing something vs condoning suggesting something

the primary thing when using other resort pools is that if its one/two people then it doesn't cause a disturbance and no one really cares.

but if they out and out condoned this then thats when people, especially sometimes people from off property come and bring big groups to have parties and things at the resorts.

dgp602

#FAIL - Just close it so guests get the full experience they are PAYING for
Makes sense. I would think that if you actually shut down the resort during the construction and refurbishments, the timeline for completion would be expedited. Jack hammering/demolition could happen around the clock without fear of disturbing guests. Supplies could be brought in without fear of running guests over, etc...
I read somewhere on one of these forums that it only took only 8 months to build the whole resort (ground clearing, grading, building construction, pools, parking lot, everything)! A full court press on Disney's part to conduct the refub and additions without fear of disturbing the guests would seem, on the surface anyway, to have been in everyone's best interest. I haven't seen the construction in person but from what I have read and observed through photos, it looks like a mess. And its almost unfair to charge full price to guests and provide them with that atmosphere.

tikiman

So will they let Poly guests use the GF pool? Not like they check room keys.

They are not allowing Polynesian guests to use the GF pool. One of the GF pools needs a room key to enter and the other one I was told they are giving wrist bands out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom