Guardians of the Galaxy: What do you think?

AllyInWonderland

Because there's a TREE in the movie! Ah-ha-ha-haaa!
tumblr_n8h91iCYYW1sc0ffqo4_250.gif

Disneyfanman

My 21 year old son saw a preview last night. He said it was a full out comedy filled with pop culture references. He thought it was refreshing and fun and wants to see it again.

AllyInWonderland

I just got back from seeing the movie! IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!

My Mom's favorite was Drax, and mine is Rocket, but Groot was so cute! Chris Pratt was really good, but Zoe Saldana was okay.

But that post credit scene?! SO FUNNY!
Did Howard the Duck look weird to anyone else :hilarious:

Disneyfanman

Just got back. An absolute blast! Highly recommended. What I really liked is that each of the main characters is distinctive and endearing in their own way. I thought Rocket owned the movie, but they were all wonderful. It wouldn't have worked without Chris Pratt as Starlord. By the end I was already thinking sequel. I really wanted more.

I kept thinking that the combination of humor, action and oddball characters reminded me of Farscape. It was also fun spotting the connections to the Marvel Universe.

This absolutely has the potential to become a Franchise, and I mean a big one. This was an origin movie and I hope it sets August records. It deserves it.

Tony Perkis

This may be the best Marvel film. I'm a big fan of James Gunn, so i had no doubt it would be a blast. What was refreshing is how much genuine heart and love for the characters the film had.

Gomer

This absolutely has the potential to become a Franchise, and I mean a big one. This was an origin movie and I hope it sets August records. It deserves it.
Looking promising already. Thursday night numbers came in at 11.2 million (besting Captain America for best of the summer). That means it only needs to do 54m Fri-Sun to beat Bourne Ultimatum for biggest ever domestic August opening weekend. Considering revised projections have gone from a 60m opening to more towards 80-85m, it seems likely that this will be the new record holder. If those numbers happen, that would be huge for August and a big win for Guardians, Marvel and James Gunn.

*Edited to fix Thursday night numbers. 11.2m, not 10.2m.

Last edited:

SosoDude

Just got back from watching this movie. It was a very fun ride. Loved the whole vibe that this movie has. Great summer movie and it does a good job laying the groundwork for a sequel and possibly a HUGE Marvel Movie crossover. Soundtrack was awesome, also.

Disneyfanman

Just got back from watching this movie. It was a very fun ride. Loved the whole vibe that this movie has. Great summer movie and it does a good job laying the groundwork for a sequel and possibly a HUGE Marvel Movie crossover. Soundtrack was awesome, also.
LOVED the last bit with the Jackson 5 song! Understated and Brilliant!

Allym146

Just got back awhile ago from seeing it! I really liked it...I cried! I'm such a sap haha. H is a critic and hard to please with movies. His expectations were very high, and although it didn't meet them, he said it came very close!

Bairstow

Awesome movie!
Not quite as good as The Avengers, but darn close and much funnier.
People have been comparing this to Star Wars but I thought it was more like a cross between The Avengers and Heavy Metal.

...at least, certain segments of Heavy Metal.

3850_5.jpg

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Saw it last night and it was VERY enjoyable. Both my wife and I came out quite happy with it. My comparison in terms of comedy/action combination would be something like Hellboy or Buckaroo Banzai. The crowd at the showing we went to loved it and every single person stayed for the entire credits just for the tag at the end.

Gomer

Awesome movie!
Not quite as good as The Avengers, but darn close and much funnier.
People have been comparing this to Star Wars but I thought it was more like a cross between The Avengers and Heavy Metal.

I also don't see Star Wars. Its space opera, but not even close to the same feel. This reminded me of a more mainstream version of Joss Whedon's Serenity (since he masterminds the marvel universe, I guess that makes sense) both in feel and design.

And I mean that as a great compliment. I loved the movie. Its been a long time since we had good Space Opera summer blockbusters. I hope this and the Star Wars resurgence bring the genre back in full force. Like some others have said, I think i still rank GotG below Avengers because of what that movie represented and acheived as part of a greater whole. But right now its locked it at # 2 or #3 of Marvel movies. I need to watch GotG and Cap 2 a few more times before I make that decision.

Gomer

Saw it last night and it was VERY enjoyable. Both my wife and I came out quite happy with it. My comparison in terms of comedy/action combination would be something like Hellboy or Buckaroo Banzai. The crowd at the showing we went to loved it and every single person stayed for the entire credits just for the tag at the end.
Hellboy is another great compaison. The planet Knowhere reminded me alot of the troll market from Hellboy 2. And again, I mean that as a great compliment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom