The Great Movie Ride

seahawk7

Original Poster
I'd hope not. I still want the tour guides up front and with some interactive scene from them as well. I could see them being interactive with maybe a Pirates or a Indiana Jones scene!
How about a separate Movie Ride for Disney movies and keep the Great Movie Ride classic movies?That would bring another attraction to HS. I would like to see some Steamboat Willie screen time in the line for the Disney Great Movie ride.

seahawk7

Original Poster
The Godfather all day.

The easy answer: because Hollywood Studios is about movies, not about Disney. It's the exact same premise as EPCOT Center. Disney didn't invent the Internet, and can hardly even design a functional website, but the generalized idea of the Internet is included in Spaceship Earth, rather than just an ad for Disney.com.

The harder answer: because Disney's films don't exist in a vacuum. There are no Disney-only movie theaters unless you're on a Disney Cruise Liner. Disney doesn't wall itself from other movie studios, unable to look out and see the competition. Some of these movies influenced Disney. Once upon a time, Indiana Jones was a licensed property. Its success paved the way for adventurers like Captain Jack Sparrow to take the box office by storm in later years. Others are simply a reflection on our culture: Alien squares in on fears; westerns are "the" American genre. Others still have become cultural icons on a scale which few Disney films have been able to achieve, such as The Wizard of Oz. These can't be ignored by a park claiming to be about "Hollywood."

Moreover, how much of Disney is truly Disney? The only all in-house properties worth speaking of (outside of the Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm buyouts) are Mickey and the gang, Lilo and Stitch, and Pirates (but only the first one). Tron is pushing it, I think. Everything else is either ripped from pre-existing mythology, fairy tales, legends, and novels. Disney only made the movie Mary Poppins, not Mary Poppins. If Disney builds a ride based on a movie they didn't make, it's more or less same thing as producing a movie based on characters they didn't make.

On the map and on the signs posted throughout the queue: "May be frightening for small children."
Oooo I forgot about the Godfather! What scene would you like to see?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The Godfather all day.

The easy answer: because Hollywood Studios is about movies, not about Disney. It's the exact same premise as EPCOT Center. Disney didn't invent the Internet, and can hardly even design a functional website, but the generalized idea of the Internet is included in Spaceship Earth, rather than just an ad for Disney.com.

The harder answer: because Disney's films don't exist in a vacuum. There are no Disney-only movie theaters unless you're on a Disney Cruise Liner. Disney doesn't wall itself from other movie studios, unable to look out and see the competition. Some of these movies influenced Disney. Once upon a time, Indiana Jones was a licensed property. Its success paved the way for adventurers like Captain Jack Sparrow to take the box office by storm in later years. Others are simply a reflection on our culture: Alien squares in on fears; westerns are "the" American genre. Others still have become cultural icons on a scale which few Disney films have been able to achieve, such as The Wizard of Oz. These can't be ignored by a park claiming to be about "Hollywood."

Moreover, how much of Disney is truly Disney? The only all in-house properties worth speaking of (outside of the Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm buyouts) are Mickey and the gang, Lilo and Stitch, and Pirates (but only the first one). Tron is pushing it, I think. Everything else is either ripped from pre-existing mythology, fairy tales, legends, and novels. Disney only made the movie Mary Poppins, not Mary Poppins. If Disney builds a ride based on a movie they didn't make, it's more or less same thing as producing a movie based on characters they didn't make.

On the map and on the signs posted throughout the queue: "May be frightening for small children."

Producing a movie on a story they didn't make is very much different from operating a theme park with lands themed to anything DISNEY. Epcot doesn't have any attractions themed to something that isn't a theme park original or from a Disney film. There are no harry potter, jurassic park, or back to the future in there. Figment, CC and everything are theme park originals. So they're Disney. Epcot is totally different from Hollywood Studios as well, given it's history.

Sure when HS opened up it was named MGM Studios. But noooow, since it is Disney's Hollywood Studios, I'm pretty sure it would make more sense to theme the movies in TGMR to Disney.

I'm not saying that this is how it should be. I'm saying that this is my personal opinion for this ride. If you guys think it's fine to have other movie companies' works in it, that's fine. Those are your opinions. I just personally don't like that idea.

seahawk7

Original Poster
A small scene in the Don's office would be nice. Iconic, and relatively easy to build.
They could use that area where they have James Cagney. They could keep James Cagney and put in The Godfather, and maybe add a Goodfellas scene. It could be a tribute to mobster movies.

tcool

*Bump*

So my idea for a GMR remake would be...

Finding Nemo (Riding the EAC)(Footlight Parade Area)
The Little Mermaid (Under the Sea)(Singing in the Rain Area)
Mary Poppins Update
Nightmare Before Christmas (This is Halloween)(Gangster Area before shoot-out)
Lion King (Hakunna Mattata)(Gangster Area Shoot-Out)
Pirates of the Caribbean(Western Area before bank)
Guardians of the Galaxy (Something PG)(Western Shootout to before Alien Tunnel)
Big Hero 6 (Team Fights against Kabuki Masked Man) (Alien Tunnel)
Indiana Jones Update
Maleficent (Driver comes back)
The Love Bug (Monster Movie)
Tarzan (1999) (Tarzan)
Beauty & the Beast (Beauty & the Beast) (Casa Blanca)
Fantasia Update
Snow White & the 7 Dwarves (Munchkins)
Frozen (Let It Go) (Emerald City)
New Update to Video at end

seahawk7

Original Poster
*Bump*

Mary Poppins Update
Indiana Jones Update
Tarzan (1999) (Tarzan)
Fantasia Update
You're hired!

Matt7187

*Bump*

Mary Poppins Update
Indiana Jones Update
Tarzan (1999) (Tarzan)
Fantasia Update
That would be great if it was great disney movie ride. And I'm not being sarcastic, maybe a trackless ride going through the animated ones on that list in animation courtyard?

TBH, it just needs leveled inside. The whole ride is gone. Keep the track and vehicles, but every show scene is gone. Even the scenes that I would still want (Mary Poppins, Alien, and Wizard of Oz) are far beyond repair. They need restarted. And the order isn't very logical to me. If you are going through musicals at the start, why is wizard of oz at the end? Anyways, here is my list: and ps, this will have a lot of warnings for kids not to ride.
-Charlie Chaplin for Footlight Parade
-Forrest Gump on his bench for Singing in the Rain
-Anchorman 1's battle for Mary Poppins
-Animal House for James Cagney because Animal House
-Godfather for 1st part of mobster section
-Goodfellas for 2nd half
-Silence of the Lambs in tunnel
-Psycho in 1st part of western
-The Birds in 2nd part (where you hear over the loudspeaker that there is an alien creature running around)
-Bada$$ alien vs. predator redo where it once was just alien
-Indiana running from boulder where it once was Indy pt 1
-Star wars vader vs like battle in 2nd half of Indy
-The Matrix where "horror was"
-Inception where Tarzan was
-Casablanca stays
-Mary Poppins and Singing in the rain where Fantasia was
-Wizard of Oz stays too, but the witch gets attacked by the stay puft marshmallow man from ghostbusters and you keep moving
-Original finale put in play with updated movie

Thoughts?

seahawk7

Original Poster
That would be great if it was great disney movie ride. And I'm not being sarcastic, maybe a trackless ride going through the animated ones on that list in animation courtyard?

TBH, it just needs leveled inside. The whole ride is gone. Keep the track and vehicles, but every show scene is gone. Even the scenes that I would still want (Mary Poppins, Alien, and Wizard of Oz) are far beyond repair. They need restarted. And the order isn't very logical to me. If you are going through musicals at the start, why is wizard of oz at the end? Anyways, here is my list: and ps, this will have a lot of warnings for kids not to ride.
-Charlie Chaplin for Footlight Parade
-Forrest Gump on his bench for Singing in the Rain
-Anchorman 1's battle for Mary Poppins
-Animal House for James Cagney because Animal House
-Godfather for 1st part of mobster section
-Goodfellas for 2nd half
-Silence of the Lambs in tunnel
-Psycho in 1st part of western
-The Birds in 2nd part (where you hear over the loudspeaker that there is an alien creature running around)
-Bada$$ alien vs. predator redo where it once was just alien
-Indiana running from boulder where it once was Indy pt 1
-Star wars vader vs like battle in 2nd half of Indy
-The Matrix where "horror was"
-Inception where Tarzan was
-Casablanca stays
-Mary Poppins and Singing in the rain where Fantasia was
-Wizard of Oz stays too, but the witch gets attacked by the stay puft marshmallow man from ghostbusters and you keep moving
-Original finale put in play with updated movie

Thoughts?
My only thought is you and @tcool should work together! I mean, why can't we have two GMRs?

orlando678-

And maybe that we first see like a slide projector or the circle carthay theatre and then we hear the intro song of Snow white and the seven dwarfs. Then we get a small drop into the slide projector screen and then are in the Snow white and the seven dwarfs scene. This could be useful since the ride at Mk is closed. The AA characters should be very advanced though.
Other ideas:

Ariel singing part of your world on the rock- The Little Mermaid
Bella note spaghetti diner- Lady and the Tramp
Cruella de vil trying to crash into our boat ( maybe this scene could look like the gangster scene from the GMR)
and so on and so on :)

seahawk7

Original Poster
And maybe that we first see like a slide projector or the circle carthay theatre and then we hear the intro song of Snow white and the seven dwarfs. Then we get a small drop into the slide projector screen and then are in the Snow white and the seven dwarfs scene. This could be useful since the ride at Mk is closed. The AA characters should be very advanced though.
Other ideas:

Ariel singing part of your world on the rock- The Little Mermaid
Bella note spaghetti diner- Lady and the Tramp
Cruella de vil trying to crash into our boat ( maybe this scene could look like the gangster scene from the GMR)
and so on and so on :)
Great ideas! The Cruelly de vil idea is genius!

orlando678-

Maybe the circle of life scene from the lion king could be cool. also the 101 dalmatian scene would be funny if they have hidden audio animatronic puppies.

orlando678-

ChampDisney I really like the Wonderful World of Disney movies name but maybe we can name it Wonderful World of Disney Animation. (Unless people would like to add real life disney movies)

Thanks Seahawk7 :)

orlando678-

Maybe others have ideas for scenes too?

-I was thinking of the lantern scene from Tangled with floating lanterns everywhere. Since we already are in a boat this could be the perfect fit.

-Maybe the I wanna be like you monkey temple scene from Jungle Book

-Probably Let it go or for the first time in forever will be needed.

orlando678-

Scenes which we have already:

- drop into the screen
- Snow White and the Seven dwarfs: not sure which scene to use
- The Little Mermaid: Part of your world on the rock
- 101 Dalmatians: Cruella de Vil trying to crash into our vehicle
- The Lion King: Simba is raised by Rafiki with the Circle of life
- Tangled: I see the light boat scene
- Jungle Book: I wanna be like you and Ka trust in me
- Frozen: Let it go or For the First Time in forever

Extra ideas:

- Beauty and the Beast: Tale as old as time
- Tarzan: Trashin' the camp
- Aladdin: Never had a friend like me
- Dumbo: Pink Elephants on Parade
- Fantasia: Sorcerer's apprentice
- Pocahontas: Just around the Riverbend
- Alice in Wonderland: Mad tea party
- Sleeping Beauty: Maleficent battle

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom