New after hours street party coming to this year's Epcot Food and Festival

cw1982

That's odd. Why not just leave that $50 card out and charge $149?

I could be way off base here, but to me that just looks like a marketing ploy to artificially add value. The same package may not look as attractive without that gift card, even at fifty bucks less, to some people. Plus, this way Disney knows they got fifty dollars more of your money than if they simply crossed their fingers and hoped you'd spend that much on drinks, extra food, etc, while you're there. It's a guaranteed increase on how much they will bring in one way or another.

JohnD

I got the Premium Package. My thinking is this: I would rather have a package for $199 which encompasses several things than pay $199 for a single dinner. Almost everything at the F&W festival has a price tag on it -- from $15 mixology seminar to $299 Party for the Senses "Wine View Lounge".

All told I reserved three F&W specific things:
  • Premium Package (includes $79 Late Night Event, $50 gift card, and $70 for MB, bottle of wine, wine glass, and truffles): $199
  • Parisian Breakfast: $39
  • Mixology Seminar: $15
This is enough for me to have a good "taste" of the festival.

tl77

This runs 9:45pm to 1am? Good luck getting any sleep if you're at the Beach Club or Board Walk while this is going on, you used to be able to hear the faux Beatles at UK pavillion loud and clear if you were at the Beach Club facing Epcot

jakeman

I would think if they offered this on Fri/Sat night that it would be a much bigger draw.
F&W has become a horrifically local event on the weekend. The purpose of the Premium package (which is available only to resort guest) is to draw people away from the weekend and into the week where it is pretty much a ghost town until 7 or 8 at night, and even then very manageable.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Okay, so, some details straight from Disney...

1. The pavilions are, Canada, Greece, Hawaii, Desserts and Champagne.
2. You get 6 complimentary items, hard limit.
3. Drinks are part of your 6. So if you get 3 glasses of wine, that leaves you with 3 food items.

That $79 is looking STEEP.

jakeman

Okay, so, some details straight from Disney...

1. The pavilions are, Canada, Greece, Hawaii, Desserts and Champagne.
2. You get 6 complimentary items, hard limit.
3. Drinks are part of your 6. So if you get 3 glasses of wine, that leaves you with 3 food items.

That $79 is looking STEEP.
Ouch...looks like I'll be having six glasses of ice wine to make sure I get my money's worth.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney is seeing the premium additions as cheaper ways to make money than creating attractions do and as a way to increase the profit margin.

... and unlike building attractions, there is a relatively low up front cost for creating one of these events which greatly reduces the risk. Not saying I like it, but I can see how these are appealing to management.

TheRabbit

F&W has become a horrifically local event on the weekend. The purpose of the Premium package (which is available only to resort guest) is to draw people away from the weekend and into the week where it is pretty much a ghost town until 7 or 8 at night, and even then very manageable.
So if its a ghost town during the week till 7pm...why have this stupid thing from 945-1am? Then they should find something to bring people in before 7. And I wasn't aware that this particular after hours package was only for resort guests.

Wow, a whole new Fantasyland, Avatar, new theater for Lion King, New Test Track, like them or not. Yea no new attractions going up anywhere, it's all money grabbing packages. What??

Disney isn't taking anything away from regular park guests and giving it to these Premium package users. For example they didn't shut down the Monorails at night and now just offering them to package users only. This is another hard ticket event, though smaller in scale, like Christmas, Halloween and even dessert parties. If you think these are pricey then don't attend, but you aren't getting shorted when regular hours are over. I'm not sure what the foreboding is about more of these. They rope off a section and the rest of the park goes about its business.

Disney never said the parks had a curfew or quiet time, if you get a room too close to this that keeps you up, ask to be moved.

TheRabbit

The esteemed @jakeman was referring to the Premium experience for $199, of which, this is a part.
I understand, but I wasn't. My original post was for the street party that was just reported. I apologize to Jake if I didn't clerify. No hard feelings. :) Makes for good debate though! hehe

ABQ

Wow, a whole new Fantasyland, Avatar, new theater for Lion King, New Test Track, like them or not. Yea no new attractions going up anywhere, it's all money grabbing packages. What??

Disney isn't taking anything away from regular park guests and giving it to these Premium package users. For example they didn't shut down the Monorails at night and now just offering them to package users only. This is another hard ticket event, though smaller in scale, like Christmas, Halloween and even dessert parties. If you think these are pricey then don't attend, but you aren't getting shorted when regular hours are over. I'm not sure what the foreboding is about more of these. They rope off a section and the rest of the park goes about its business.

Disney never said the parks had a curfew or quiet time, if you get a room too close to this that keeps you up, ask to be moved.
To a point, I agree with you. They didn't replace an otherwise free (or included with park admission) event to create this. However, and this is going back some time, Epcot used to simply be open later. Now, once Illuminations runs, it's work your way out of the park and aside from Mousegear, most things are all closed up. I'd rather the park on the whole were open till midnight, but I understand that means staffing everwhere, and payroll, even at the low costs they pay CM's, isn't free.

Communicore

I'm excited for this new event. There will be a DJ so that means Stitch will be in attendance. Nothing screams food and wine more than a dance party with Stitch. Maybe the "complimentary" food will include chili and chili dogs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom