Artistic map of the WDW property from 1988

Father Robinson

Original Poster
Screenshot_2014-07-30-15-23-25.png
My wife has kept it all these years, it's quite interesting. Enjoy!

JIMINYCR

Now thats a fun looking map. Had to zoom in to see all the little details. Must have every Disney character ever made somewhere in there. A great souvenir to keep... Love the Mickey hot air balloon and YAYYY... I found Jiminy in the lower right hand corner. Thanks for sharing. By the way, is that Uncle Remus in the corner above the y in Disney? Couldnt really get a clear enough image to tell.

Tom

Beta Return
Maybe this is more 1990ish??? The Swan and Dolphin, and even the Studios are on there...and Typhoon???

Definitely some time between 1989 and 1998....probably earlier in the 90s or else they would have known about DAK and would have slipped some hype in there somewhere. MGM looks very prominent, so perhaps it was shortly after it opened.

MerlinTheGoat

I've got a couple of these "maps" of my own quite similar to these (both slightly different from one another with some minor alterations in scenes, attractions and characters but very much in this same style and almost certainly designed by the same people). They're true treasures IMO, very charming and lovely with a lot of old long dead attractions present on them. Pretty sure they're posters for hanging on a wall, they're massively larger than the maps they hand out for directions at the parks. They may have actually been merchandise for sale somewhere, I don't remember how or where I got them. Mine are pretty similar, though with some slight alterations here and there. In fact, one of mine may be this one. They're from different years. Very early 90's, had to have been between '91-'93 based on when I visited during those years and which attractions were still open. At least one of mine has some of the old Future World rides like Horizons on it.

I'll lay mine out on a surface and take a photo of them to post here. I've actually got a Canon scanner that I might actually be able to use to capture the posters in pretty good quality. Though their large size would require me to do so in smaller individual foot long segments each. I'd have to line them up perfectly and piece them together on the computer using MS Paint or something (they're multiple feet long in both width and height). If there's interest in my doing so, I might make that a project over the next week. No promises as to how it will turn out or if it's feasible for me to do properly. I'll see if I can dig it out and take a photo of one later and you guys can tell me if you think it's worth getting uploaded in better quality (that will take some time). Assuming I don't get in trouble for doing so that is (@wdwmagic do you think I would be safe from any rules here or legal issues with Disney in scanning and uploading these if i'm able?). One has a slight bit of what I believe is water damage on a corner (my home got flooded a few years ago).

Definitely some time between 1989 and 1998....probably earlier in the 90s or else they would have known about DAK and would have slipped some hype in there somewhere. MGM looks very prominent, so perhaps it was shortly after it opened.
Has to be prior to 1995, 20k Leagues Under the Sea is still present and prominent. That ride closed late 1994 and I can't imagine them advertising a shuttered ride. Tomorrowland also has its vintage white NASA motif instead of its current form (which was changed in '94). Splash Mountain also isn't present in the art (which opened in 1992), and I would suspect it would have been advertised in such art for being the latest and greatest thing around. I'm guessing somewhere between '89 and '92 based on the presence of Ariel to the right of Typhoon Lagoon and MGM Studios (both 1989 projects). My copies are somewhere within the same frame of time I believe. One of my posters may be the same as the one posted above in fact (I know the other one is different because it has more of EPCOT prominent). I'll have to take a look. I got mine in the early 90's and it had no trace of Animal Kingdom at that time.

EDIT- I found one of my two posters, the one I found is exactly 100% identical to the one Father Robinson posted from what I can tell. Had to have been sold at WDW at least as late as 1991 because that was my first trip to WDW ever (my mom probably bought it that year). Mine even has the original pricetag in the corner, $1.50 (that seems shockingly cheap compared to merch today and there's also nothing like it sold anymore at the parks as far as I can tell). Sadly I can't find the other one at the moment as it's not where I thought I put it (thought I put both maps in the same place but only found one). I know it's around the house somewhere because I definitely had both of them out just a few months ago while going through some old Disney memorabilia. It's probably in a box somewhere and i'll have to dig around to find it. I'm busy at the moment so it may be some days before I find it. When I do find it, i'll post a picture of it. I know for a fact that it's substantially different from the one above and has a more fleshed out EPCOT in it (though again it's drawn in the same style by I'm guessing the same artist).

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I found my second poster. It appears it was made a few years after the one posted above, Splash Mountain is present on it along with some Beauty and the Beast characters. It has a moderately different style and coloration to it and different layout (though similar overall), and it has some of the classic EPCOT pavilions like Horizons and World of Motion. It's a tad bit smaller than the older one (it also cost 75 cents more than the other one lol). It's also a mild bit more ragged than the others with some small holes and more wear. I'm working on getting both scanned and pieced back together right now. Quality won't be flawless due to my scanner's limitations, but hopefully it's decent enough for most (they'll also likely be rather large in size as my scanner scans images in large sizes, i'll try to see what I can do about that, i'm starting them out at as high quality as possible for editing purposes).

Spike-in-Berlin

I had huge artistic souvenir maps in a similar style from the MK and EPCOT 1984, sadly they are lost, I don't know when and why but for years they were decorating the walls in my room.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Nice to see the "Vacation Kingdom of the World" tagline beneath the resort logo. :) I didn't know they were using that slogan as late as 1990s; such a better fit for WDW than "Where Dreams Come True" IMO.

Vacation kingdom of the world is so much more....majestic, I'll say. Come here, we have everything you could ever want in a vacation destination. Now, it's, come take a picture with a Princess!!!!

FerretAfros

By the way, is that Uncle Remus in the corner above the y in Disney? Couldnt really get a clear enough image to tell.
Looks like it's King Eidilleg (red) and Doli (yellow), members of the Fair Folk (aka fairies) from 1985's The Black Cauldron. Given that this map would have been released a few years later, it seems likely that they might include something from that now-forgotten movie
vlcsnap-7301161.png

JohnD

Nice. In the Studios, the Chinese Theater is huge and central with Earful Tower off to the side. No BAH to been seen. I like these cartoonish maps. They don't always have to be perfect Google-like renderings. (I know, no such thing in 1988).

JIMINYCR

Looks like it's King Eidilleg (red) and Doli (yellow), members of the Fair Folk (aka fairies) from 1985's The Black Cauldron. Given that this map would have been released a few years later, it seems likely that they might include something from that now-forgotten movie
vlcsnap-7301161.png
Thanks, Clearer image does it. The Black Cauldron... a very forgotten Disney film.

Tom

Beta Return
I've got a couple of these "maps" of my own quite similar to these (both slightly different from one another with some minor alterations in scenes, attractions and characters but very much in this same style and almost certainly designed by the same people). They're true treasures IMO, very charming and lovely with a lot of old long dead attractions present on them. Pretty sure they're posters for hanging on a wall, they're massively larger than the maps they hand out for directions at the parks. They may have actually been merchandise for sale somewhere, I don't remember how or where I got them. Mine are pretty similar, though with some slight alterations here and there. In fact, one of mine may be this one. They're from different years. Very early 90's, had to have been between '91-'93 based on when I visited during those years and which attractions were still open. At least one of mine has some of the old Future World rides like Horizons on it.

I'll lay mine out on a surface and take a photo of them to post here. I've actually got a Canon scanner that I might actually be able to use to capture the posters in pretty good quality. Though their large size would require me to do so in smaller individual foot long segments each. I'd have to line them up perfectly and piece them together on the computer using MS Paint or something (they're multiple feet long in both width and height). If there's interest in my doing so, I might make that a project over the next week. No promises as to how it will turn out or if it's feasible for me to do properly. I'll see if I can dig it out and take a photo of one later and you guys can tell me if you think it's worth getting uploaded in better quality (that will take some time). Assuming I don't get in trouble for doing so that is (@wdwmagic do you think I would be safe from any rules here or legal issues with Disney in scanning and uploading these if i'm able?). One has a slight bit of what I believe is water damage on a corner (my home got flooded a few years ago).

Has to be prior to 1995, 20k Leagues Under the Sea is still present and prominent. That ride closed late 1994 and I can't imagine them advertising a shuttered ride. Tomorrowland also has its vintage white NASA motif instead of its current form (which was changed in '94). Splash Mountain also isn't present in the art (which opened in 1992), and I would suspect it would have been advertised in such art for being the latest and greatest thing around. I'm guessing somewhere between '89 and '92 based on the presence of Ariel to the right of Typhoon Lagoon and MGM Studios (both 1989 projects). My copies are somewhere within the same frame of time I believe. One of my posters may be the same as the one posted above in fact (I know the other one is different because it has more of EPCOT prominent). I'll have to take a look. I got mine in the early 90's and it had no trace of Animal Kingdom at that time.

EDIT- I found one of my two posters, the one I found is exactly 100% identical to the one Father Robinson posted from what I can tell. Had to have been sold at WDW at least as late as 1991 because that was my first trip to WDW ever (my mom probably bought it that year). Mine even has the original pricetag in the corner, $1.50 (that seems shockingly cheap compared to merch today and there's also nothing like it sold anymore at the parks as far as I can tell). Sadly I can't find the other one at the moment as it's not where I thought I put it (thought I put both maps in the same place but only found one). I know it's around the house somewhere because I definitely had both of them out just a few months ago while going through some old Disney memorabilia. It's probably in a box somewhere and i'll have to dig around to find it. I'm busy at the moment so it may be some days before I find it. When I do find it, i'll post a picture of it. I know for a fact that it's substantially different from the one above and has a more fleshed out EPCOT in it (though again it's drawn in the same style by I'm guessing the same artist).

Nice work, Watson!

I have a large map of the MK from sometime in the 80s. We have a large format scanner at work, so I'm going to scan it, once I find it. It's very cheesy and cartoony, but has a legend and list of attractions. My brother and I wore it out, laying it out and looking at it for hours at a time when we were kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom