Big Thunder Mountain's worth.

STITCHGEFAN

Original Poster
yes... too many mountains in MK. Get rid of Space Mountain and Splash, too, right? Oh, and don't stop there - too many spinning rides. Why do we need Aladin, Dumbo and Astro Orbiter? /sarcasm :banghead:

Woah someone's had a big nibble on this. I love the other two mountains, my favourite in MK and arguably Disney as a whole.

Having two mine train themed rides in one park seems pointless. On my experience, children express the most enjoyment after riding BTM, but with 7 Dwarves likely to become more popular with that age group, I thought BTM might be ready for its last ride so to speak.

Clearly I'm in the minority, which is fine. Just try not to nibble too hard when I whisper Anna's Frozen Frontier. ;)

MikeTaylorSound

7DMT was created to replace Snow White's Scary Adventures. Think about that demographic.
BTMRR was created because some people can't handle Space Mountain, but like roller coasters.

The Empress Lilly

Everytime we go my family and whoever we go with are underwhelmed by BTM, so much so that we haven't been on it the past two occasions. Guess it's just us!
No, you're quite right. Thunder was a family coaster. But as other coasters have become ever more elaborate and intense, Thunder has relatively slid from family to kiddie coaster. So Disney ought to have build a faster new family coaster in the MK! Then, maybe then, Thunder might feel obsolete. As it stands, Thunder is still a great ride, a fine kiddie coaster that scrapes by on the strength of its theme. ( But bring back the caves, the story is an earthquake!). Whereas Dwarf is a toddler coaster, that could possibly somewhat scrape by as a good ride if it had show scenes, but these were scrapped at the last minute.

lazyboy97o

Woah someone's had a big nibble on this. I love the other two mountains, my favourite in MK and arguably Disney as a whole.

Having two mine train themed rides in one park seems pointless. On my experience, children express the most enjoyment after riding BTM, but with 7 Dwarves likely to become more popular with that age group, I thought BTM might be ready for its last ride so to speak.

Clearly I'm in the minority, which is fine. Just try not to nibble too hard when I whisper Anna's Frozen Frontier. ;)
What children enjoy most only matters if you're trying to run a kiddie park.

DfromATX

I admit I kinda thought the mine train appeared similar to Thunder, but I haven't ridden mine yet so what do I know...

Boardwalker

I didn't read all the posts, honestly too long and Zzzzzzz..... What, oh sorry. This may have been mentioned, if so disregard. Disneyland has a nice BTM, can we copy it please?

JIMINYCR

SM & BTMRR on one side.... 7DMT & SM somewhat close proximity on the other side. Balances the park out. Guests flock to either side, helps with the flow of crowds. No reason to abandon any of them. The more things to spread out and occupy guests the better.

STITCHGEFAN

Original Poster
No, you're quite right. Thunder was a family coaster. But as other coasters have become ever more elaborate and intense, Thunder has relatively slid from family to kiddie coaster. So Disney ought to have build a faster new family coaster in the MK! Then, maybe then, Thunder might feel obsolete. As it stands, Thunder is still a great ride, a fine kiddie coaster that scrapes by on the strength of its theme. ( But bring back the caves, the story is an earthquake!). Whereas Dwarf is a toddler coaster, that
could possibly somewhat scrape by as a
good ride if it had show scenes, but these were scrapped at the last minute.

What children enjoy most only matters if you're trying to run a kiddie park.

The pair of you make my point. 7DMT is a kiddies coaster, with BTM gradually being regarded similarly, rid it, or ideally, redevelop it into a more intense ride for a different audience.

GeneralKnowledge

A world without a possum to smack is a sad world. Unless SDMT has a possum dangling within reach of the mine car then they could never get rid of BTMRR.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
Thunder Mountain is a bit longer than Mine Train and more thrilling as well. I think they're both great rides in their own respect but they're pretty different.

MikeTaylorSound

It would be great if they ditched the Liberty Belle and built a coaster with a splash down... there's plenty of room for some great turns and twists all around the water! It would definitely expand park capacity. Case in point, we've been on the Liberty Belle a total of 2 times in the last 7 trips, which includes multiple visits to MK.

Let's be honest, the Liberty Belle is the weakest of the 3 attractions in Liberty Square and probably 2nd (or tied for 2nd with Tomorrowland Speedway, Swiss Family Treehouse, and Aladdin's Magic Carpets) to Disney's Great Mistake overall in the Magic Kingdom. My DW might like it, but I think this is the next place to upgrade. The extra draw would be enormous compared to a Stitch replacement or Speedway upgrade.

The Empress Lilly

The Liberty Belle is to FrL/LS what the PeopleMover is to Tomorrowland.
amour4.gif

On top of that, the ship is both attraction and landmark. It should sail even if nobody were on it. Two ships, preferably.

erasure fan1

They are similar because they both have to do with a mine. As far as worth goes, big thunder still has plenty. It is a great coaster for kids getting out of the barnstormer stage but not ready yet for something like Everest or rock'n roller coaster. Its also good for people who are not fans of huge thrills and its great for families. If the 7DMT wasn't over before I finished sneezing and had a slightly higher thrill rating, then I could maybe see it. But as it stands, I see no reason to change anything.

Rambler

Have pass for 7D ride in a few weeks, was told by recent visitors it might be worth at least one ride to see what is new, they thought once was enough. My wife and I do Big Thunder several times a visit, but are disappointed in the speed now...slower than in the past (making it kid friendly?)so not as thrilling. If the speed was back up and the rocks shook inside the tunnel like they used to, it would be so much better than it is now.

AintNoOtherMan

Big Thunder Mountain is a good ride (not my favorite, but I don't dislike it) , and I haven't been on the 7 Dwarves Mine Train yet, so my opinion may not be the best... However, i don't see BTMRR leaving for several years. It pulls in huge lines (when it's up and running, which doesn't feel like super often), and there are bigger problems than that in the parks right now... It has at least another decade left tbh...

(I wouldn't mind it going, if they put a genuinely better ride in its place, tbh...)

Walt Disney1955

I would say that Thunder Mountain fits with the Frontierland theme perfectly don't you think? It's always been one of my favourites. It is a pretty unique coaster as well, it loads pretty fast (I think), it is themed well, it has lots of turns and ups and downs and its been there since 1980. It is meant to feel like a runaway train and it does. No, leave it as it is, it's fine, and a classic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom