Disneyland's 60th Birthday: Rumors, Speculation and News

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I saw Magical last May and was not impressed with is (compared to Wishes) - the only "saving grace" was Dumbo

Nland316

Apparently, someone on Micechat said that some pieces of Tokyo's old Jubilation parade were spotted on site behind the parade warehouse. Specifically the Peter Pan float. I'm curious to see if this at all has anything to do with either a daytime or nighttime parade for the 60th.

wdrive

Apparently, someone on Micechat said that some pieces of Tokyo's old Jubilation parade were spotted on site behind the parade warehouse. Specifically the Peter Pan float. I'm curious to see if this at all has anything to do with either a daytime or nighttime parade for the 60th.

Hmm, is interesting. I'd rather they did't use old parade floats but if they are, old Tokyo floats would definitely be my choice.

Nland316

So much has changed since that article was written, so it's hard to tell. At least the TRON ride got shelved. Oy.
I loved the Tron concept!! Tomorrowland couldn't have had a better franchise that fit into the area more perfect. It could've carried a pretty impressive aesthetic throughout the land as well. Hopefully Star Wars is postponed long enough for a 3rd park, and a Tron attraction is brought back up for Tomorrowland, even if it's unlikely at this point. Anyways, back on topic lol.

GiveMeTheMusic

I loved the Tron concept!! Tomorrowland couldn't have had a better franchise that fit into the area more perfect. It could've carried a pretty impressive aesthetic throughout the land as well. Hopefully Star Wars is postponed long enough for a 3rd park, and a Tron attraction is brought back up for Tomorrowland, even if it's unlikely at this point. Anyways, back on topic lol.

It's more on theme than Star Wars, but it's a lame duck property. If they insist on using franchise IP for new attractions, why bother with TRON and Monsters? The Legacy movie was a flop. Previous to the TRON attraction a groundbreaking Iron Man E-ticket was proposed. That's a no brainer - would easily be the next Indy for Disneyland and the IP couldn't be more popular.

Regardless, I think TRON is just a bad idea.

What is important is that the Iron Man ride was meant to be the centerpiece of the 60th. Now no rides are under construction, and won't be until 2016 at the earliest. I'll never understand Disney.

Meanwhile, up the road, the Boy Who Lived is about to disrupt the LA theme park market. Just like in Florida, Disney is going to let their market share be forcibly decreased. Anyone who thinks Disneyland won't lose money to USH is nuts - tourists on a limited schedule will make time for USH where they might not have before.

Also, USH has been executing a detailed, multi-year plan. DLR can't even nail down what they're doing in 10 months for a marketing promo.

They'd be wise to get their act together soon, and that includes a third gate, IMO.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
It's more on theme than Star Wars, but it's a lame duck property. If they insist on using franchise IP for new attractions, why bother with TRON and Monsters? The Legacy movie was a flop. Previous to the TRON attraction a groundbreaking Iron Man E-ticket was proposed. That's a no brainer - would easily be the next Indy for Disneyland and the IP couldn't be more popular.

Regardless, I think TRON is just a bad idea.

What is important is that the Iron Man ride was meant to be the centerpiece of the 60th. Now no rides are under construction, and won't be until 2016 at the earliest. I'll never understand Disney.

Meanwhile, up the road, the Boy Who Lived is about to disrupt the LA theme park market. Just like in Florida, Disney is going to let their market share be forcibly decreased. Anyone who thinks Disneyland won't lose money to USH is nuts - tourists on a limited schedule will make time for USH where they might not have before.

Also, USH has been executing a detailed, multi-year plan. DLR can't even nail down what they're doing in 10 months for a marketing promo.

They'd be wise to get their act together soon, and that includes a third gate, IMO.

Amen, sister. I love the DL fans who don't believe Disneyland will be affected at all when Potter opens. They're delusional.

JediMasterMatt

Amen, sister. I love the DL fans who don't believe Disneyland will be affected at all when Potter opens. They're delusional.

They will be affected by West Potter; but, I don't think they will really care much.

I do believe that DLR resort is still at the saturation point for what they believe they can comfortably handle, especially with Disneyland.

This is why the still participate in the CitiPass that encourages people to visit other attractions.

If West Potter can take some people away, it will be offset by the increase of those visiting the area to visit Potter anyway.

It's not like Orlando where the real Potter threat is people sleeping at a non-WDW resort.

When Anaheim moves forward with the 3rd gate or if somehow they figure out a way to keep people from hopping out of DCA and back into Disneyland, they will likey start caring about holding guests captive in SoCal. At that point, I think the CitiPass participation stops and you will see more than the 5 day ticket come back in play as they try to hold guests captive at DLR.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
When Anaheim moves forward with the 3rd gate or if somehow they figure out a way to keep people from hopping out of DCA and back into Disneyland, they will likey start caring about holding guests captive in SoCal. At that point, I think the CitiPass participation stops and you will see more than the 5 day ticket come back in play as they try to hold guests captive at DLR.

Okay, but there is no set time for this. Meanwhile, USH has plans to open up new things next year and 2016, the biggie (Potter) opening up in 2016. There's been no mention of a third gate or new attractions for DCA from Disney. Can't say the same for USH, who's got plans that will apparently take twenty years to finish, maybe even less.

phillip sugarman

Disney is probably waiting for the right moment to make a big announcement on new attractions like the D23 Expo next August. During that time they will have everything going good for them with the 60 year anniversary celebration for Disneyland most likely over the entire summer and the D23 Expo in August. All of the buzz will be on Disney at that time so they could announce Star Wars Land and Monstropolis Land and not have to spend extra money to promote them by creating another event. Because of Universal commitment to growth at the parks, I could see many projects announced at the expo such as concept art for the Frozen ride at Epcot, possibly a Star Wars Land at every park, maybe a new Marvel attraction at Disneyland, and the new projects that Hong Kong and Tokyo are doing. Possibly they will announce all of the attractions for Shanghai Disneyland at the expo. If anything I don't see a third park green lighted for Disneyland until they add the car trolley system and add more parking at their resort. I could see a third gate getting started at Disneyland when they finish up Monstropolis and Star Wars Land, so they could use all of their resources to build the park which will most likely make California Adventure and Disneyland, stagnant until it is finished.

GiveMeTheMusic

Honestly, it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if D23 comes and goes with no announcements. If Frozen goes into Epcot, it will start construction this fall/winter, so it will be announced prior to D23. Star Wars stuff, it's hard to say - that has gone through so many iterations already who knows where it will be in a year.

If Disney was smart, a Frozen E ticket would be under construction at DL. That they are dragging their feet on Frozen is mind-blowing. They already have Marc Davis' Snow Queen ride plans - tweak them to be themed around the movie - instant high capacity family attraction. Or build something else, but for pete's sake, do it. It has been almost 20 years since DL's last major addition, the park is ready for expansion.

I just don't get the kick the can down the road mentality, but that's what present day Disney does when no one is forcing them to do otherwise (like in Tokyo, Hong Kong or Shanghai).

And Monstropolis needs to die. Worst idea ever.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Honestly, I'm sick of speculating what may or may not happen in the next couple of years for DL.
It's driving me crazy. Rumors about an Iron Man ride, nope, that got scratched, now a TRON ride is going into Tomorrowland, nope, that's not happening either, Star Wars is coming to Disneyland, more Marvel in Disneyland, Monstropolis is going into Hollywood Land at DCA, nope, not happening, wait, it might be happening, third park this, third park that... I've had it. It's enough to make one's head hurt.

It feels good knowing USH will be opening Springfield and the new tram tour next year. All I would like to know is if these BttF rumors are true.

TP2000

I think it's a good thing Universal Studios Hollywood is really stepping up its game. They are suddenly investing/adding more new rides and attractions than Disney did with DCA in the extreme makeover of 2009-12. If USH can be a really snazzy, modern, enticing theme park experience it helps the entire SoCal marketplace, and that helps Disneyland. For the last 20 years Universal Studios Hollywood was a place locals would go only once every five years or so, and often with out of town visitors.

But this massive USH expansion and investment will also pull off some of the locals who visit Disneyland as AP's just to hang out. Not for the OC or San Diego market, because the freeways are so horrible getting up through LA County. But for the LA County residents, and Ventura County and into the San Gabriel Valley; those folks can make USH their "local" park and go hang out and wander around like they currently do at Disneyland. This is good news for Disneyland as they struggle with record AP levels.

Knott's Berry Farm has tried to improve, and their redone Log Ride and Mine Train rides turned out great. But they'll never be able to pull off a Cars Land or Potterland style attraction or expansion at Knott's. Knott's has just become a more pleasant and cleaner version of the simple and cheap theme park they've always been. They won't compete for the mega-dollars available when you open a Cars Land or Potterland type experience. But Knott's is a nice stop for tourists on modest budgets, or locals who can't afford a Disneyland day or AP.

A massively revamped USH, however, will have the ability to reconfigure the visiting patterns of SoCal tourists and locals alike. And that's a good thing for Disneyland in the long run.

lazyboy97o

I really do not think there is going to be as massive a paradigm shift in the Southern California theme park market when the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens. The Disneyland Resort is just not as overly dependent on an impenetrable bubble. That Resort is still in the theme park business and not the hotel business.

Figments Friend

I saw Magical last May and was not impressed with is (compared to Wishes) - the only "saving grace" was Dumbo

Agree. I saw it in early May and also felt it was nothing overly special.
Dumbo was fantastic, as is seeing Tink, but the rest of the show was just...eh.

Looking forward to a new production for the 60th.
The BEST fireworks presentation i have seen to date is what was done for the 50th.
The original un-edited version of 'Remember..' was nothing short of AWESOME.

MDactor1980

So, my awareness of DLR is still in the newbie phase (due to my pending visit in 2015), but I see even on the West Coast, there is still a lot of back and forth about Disney vs. Universal. Darn. Was hoping to avoid some of that...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom