"I don't want anymore darn MagicBands!!" help!

LeeSeeBabe

Original Poster
I'm assuming this has been asked, but I've had a difficult time finding anything in the search.

We got our APs for our trip in May. This meant that we received MagicBands originally for that trip, we activated our APs once we arrived for that trip, and then were sent another set of MagicBands after the trip that were linked to our Annual Passes. Ok, so I figured we all set and consolidated with these new ones that were sent.

Now that our next trip is booked for September, all of our materials (online and mailers) are telling us we need to make our MagicBand customizations and get them ordered.... What's wrong with the second set that was sent after our last trip??? Why would they have sent those if subsequent trips wouldn't be linked to them?

Am I able to disregard this request and our current/ most recent MagicBands will be just fine, or do we have to re-customize and get yet ANOTHER set of MagicBands?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Every time you stay onsite or renew your AP you will get new MBs If you disregard they will mail you grey MBs. You can link any of the MBs you own to your account and use them. So if you like you can use a different color each day since you will own 3. Or you can thrown out your old MBs, or your new MBs. As long as you have the ones you are using linked to your account you should be fine.

FrostyNaples

I'm assuming this has been asked, but I've had a difficult time finding anything in the search.

We got our APs for our trip in May. This meant that we received MagicBands originally for that trip, we activated our APs once we arrived for that trip, and then were sent another set of MagicBands after the trip that were linked to our Annual Passes. Ok, so I figured we all set and consolidated with these new ones that were sent.

Now that our next trip is booked for September, all of our materials (online and mailers) are telling us we need to make our MagicBand customizations and get them ordered.... What's wrong with the second set that was sent after our last trip??? Why would they have sent those if subsequent trips wouldn't be linked to them?

Am I able to disregard this request and our current/ most recent MagicBands will be just fine, or do we have to re-customize and get yet ANOTHER set of MagicBands?

Take them each time, they are free, you never know when the ones you use might fail, be lost, etc. Just keep a nice collection going, change the colors up, the customized phrases, etc.

By the end of 2014, we will have 3 trips completed, and due to AP's, 4 total magic bands each. Some labeled with our names, some with our celebrations, and its nice to collect the different colors.

Again, they are included with your resort package, no reason not to get them :)

You can leave them all active, or log into MDE and deactivate those you don't wish to use.

PolynesianPrincess

I don't understand why they send out new ones each time. They should allow an option to click that either "yes" you need to customize one and have it sent to you or "no" you already have some. We got 2 MBs for a split stay in November. Talk about a waste! I'm sure they don't cost a whole lot to make but sending new MBs to people who already have them seems like a waste of money to me.

docdebbi

you are right, IMHO, it is a waste, but it is the way they do it.
This time last year, when the system was just expanding to all resorts, it was really quirky with my split stay of two rooms in each of two resorts. it kept moving people in and out of the rooms after CM would set them up again.
Apparently every time the ressie is reset, new magic bands are issued. we each had about 8- although some of us only 3-4 and some of us 8-10. Ended up with almost 50 magic bands! Inconceivable!!
this Christmas I think I'll link them all together and make some decorations.

And we are going again on a split stay in October (with a different family group). We have 12 more scheduled to be delivered. Oh, and my kids and I are annual passholders so we each got those extra too.

I may start my own magic band store

Rob562

The other aspect about the Bands is that the long-range functionality of the Band has a finite lifespan as the internal battery only lasts a couple years. Since Disney seems to be banking on being able to use long-range readers in the parks to gather crowd-flow patterns and other "big data", having those Bands functioning long-range is in Disney's best interest. It's of no use to them having a park full of Bands whose batteries have died and only work for the tap-to-use functions.

-Rob

dadddio

I suspect that the difference in costs between simply sending the bands out every time and having guests determine whether or not they need new bands is quite small, especially when you factor in the costs associated with dealing with a guest who made the wrong choice.

Biggen

The magic band system is whacky for all the reasons you mentioned. What's crazy is you have too many and I can't even get one. I'm a first time AP holder so my magic bands don't arrive until AFTER we go to the parks the first time.

Disney should really either send out Magic Bands to first time AP holders before they arrive or give us the option to buy them online.

System still a work in progress I guess...

FrostyNaples

The magic band system is whacky for all the reasons you mentioned. What's crazy is you have too many and I can't even get one. I'm a first time AP holder so my magic bands don't arrive until AFTER we go to the parks the first time.

Disney should really either send out Magic Bands to first time AP holders before they arrive or give us the option to buy them online.

I take it your not staying onsite?

We are first time AP's this year too, but before our AP magic bands came in, our resort reservation triggered the first normal magic band order. So we had them even on our first visit as AP holders.

Biggen

I take it your not staying onsite?

We are first time AP's this year too, but before our AP magic bands came in, our resort reservation triggered the first normal magic band order. So we had them even on our first visit as AP holders.

We are staying at shades of green but that isn't counted as a resort unfortunately so it doesn't trigger a magic band order.

LeeSeeBabe

Original Poster
Take them each time, they are free, you never know when the ones you use might fail, be lost, etc. Just keep a nice collection going, change the colors up, the customized phrases, etc.

By the end of 2014, we will have 3 trips completed, and due to AP's, 4 total magic bands each. Some labeled with our names, some with our celebrations, and its nice to collect the different colors.

Again, they are included with your resort package, no reason not to get them :)

You can leave them all active, or log into MDE and deactivate those you don't wish to use.

Great idea with the celebrations!! I wish I had thought of the when we got our FIRST MagicBands (then again, I didn't know we'd have a ga-jillion when it was all said and done). It was our then 3 month old's first trip.... and guess what! She gets one every time we stay onsite too!! She'll be 7 months old this next time around... I wish I had started with her age... that would have been cool.

dadddio

You can buy them once you arrive. You even get a discount.

ABQ

I'm thinking of exhuming an old AOL installation CD burial ground and filling it in with redundant Magic Bands. It would appear WDW is producing them at about the same alarming rate AOL did all those CD's back in the early '90's. I have 4 sets myself already. Dumb!

FrostyNaples

I'm thinking of exhuming an old AOL installation CD burial ground and filling it in with redundant Magic Bands. It would appear WDW is producing them at about the same alarming rate AOL did all those CD's back in the early '90's. I have 4 sets myself already. Dumb!

Not possible, AOL will win on that hands down...

NearTheEars

Running into this issue too. We have our first bands from last year, just renewed our APs and got new ones this week. Now we've booked a short 2 night staycation of sorts and are getting a 3rd set. The bands all show up on the app, so are they automatically linked? Or do I need to do do something further?

Rob562

Running into this issue too. We have our first bands from last year, just renewed our APs and got new ones this week. Now we've booked a short 2 night staycation of sorts and are getting a 3rd set. The bands all show up on the app, so are they automatically linked? Or do I need to do do something further?

Nope, nothing extra to do. If a Band is listed on your profile, it can be used interchangeably with the others for any and all aspects associated with your profile. (Room key, park ticket, room charging, FP+, ect)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom