Animatronics

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Yeah, Ellen looks bad.

Good idea including pictures. I'm 30yrs old and have gone to disney more times than I could possibly count. I have no memory of Journey before what it is now! I do remember that shot you posted but nothing else. I think I'm going to have to do some youtubing for the older attractions. I was talking to my dad about this the other day. He loves Disney also but has no memory of Horizons or the original UoM.

thom1414

What's funny, is that whenever I watch the Horizons ride/any Disney ride on YouTube, it just pales in comparison. The attractions are built in 3 dimensions, as are all of the animatronics, and are meant to be seen in person. It simply does not work in 2D. You have to experience the ride to enjoy it, and the nice part is you will easily catch things you haven't seen before because of the 3 dimensional aspect of the ride. (I don't mean 3D like with glasses, just using your eyes and seeing the Hall of the Presidents. We see everything in 3D. Which is weird if you think about it.)

Universe of Energy is LONG overdue, imo, for removal. Would love to see something like Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction, or something else there. (you could combine the entire area of UoE and Wonders of Life for one serious amount of space) One of the coolest parts of the original UoE was the pre show. I have never seen anything like it since, and watching it on Youtube gives you an idea of what it was like, but seeing it in motion was very cool. It was better than the actual show, imo.

It is very interesting to me: the memories of any ride, particularly Disney/Epcot can be hugely misinterpreted. We remember things the way we want to, not the way it was. There are SO many people here that insist that Disney bring back Journey Into Imagination and Horizons, and trust me, I would love to go on those rides again, but I feel that those individuals are wrong. As a great person once said, you "keep moving forward". It's true, there are times when attractions return (Captain EO, Tiki Birds) but those are huge exceptions. Me? I LOVE Mission Space and Test Track. Did I love Horizons and World of Motion? Sure! But parks move forward, and we are all lucky to have the memories of our current favorites, as well as the older rides.

Sorry to go on, it just seems this place can get strangely negative, and I think that hating on the parks is a waste of time.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

What's funny, is that whenever I watch the Horizons ride/any Disney ride on YouTube, it just pales in comparison. The attractions are built in 3 dimensions, as are all of the animatronics, and are meant to be seen in person. It simply does not work in 2D. You have to experience the ride to enjoy it, and the nice part is you will easily catch things you haven't seen before because of the 3 dimensional aspect of the ride. (I don't mean 3D like with glasses, just using your eyes and seeing the Hall of the Presidents. We see everything in 3D. Which is weird if you think about it.)

Universe of Energy is LONG overdue, imo, for removal. Would love to see something like Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction, or something else there. (you could combine the entire area of UoE and Wonders of Life for one serious amount of space) One of the coolest parts of the original UoE was the pre show. I have never seen anything like it since, and watching it on Youtube gives you an idea of what it was like, but seeing it in motion was very cool. It was better than the actual show, imo.

It is very interesting to me: the memories of any ride, particularly Disney/Epcot can be hugely misinterpreted. We remember things the way we want to, not the way it was. There are SO many people here that insist that Disney bring back Journey Into Imagination and Horizons, and trust me, I would love to go on those rides again, but I feel that those individuals are wrong. As a great person once said, you "keep moving forward". It's true, there are times when attractions return (Captain EO, Tiki Birds) but those are huge exceptions. Me? I LOVE Mission Space and Test Track. Did I love Horizons and World of Motion? Sure! But parks move forward, and we are all lucky to have the memories of our current favorites, as well as the older rides.

Sorry to go on, it just seems this place can get strangely negative, and I think that hating on the parks is a waste of time.
Hating isn't really the word. As you stated correctly, we don't always remember what we really saw. Many of us remember a theme and what we felt it was like and that is the comparison we carry forward. Imagination is a good example. The very beginning was jaw dropping with Dreamfinder and Figment, the song was riveting, but, after you left that part it was really pretty much a snore. Horizon's was the same thing, after about the third time you saw it, it wasn't much. Most people only remember the smell of oranges and that the theme music for CoP was incorporated in it. As old and "dated" as Energy is, (I don't think so, but many do), it was so much better after it became Ellen's that there is no way to tell you how much better it was.

As much as I do like TT, I do kinda miss World of Motion. There were a bazillion AA's, it was funny and had a great song with it. I wish that one was still there. Captain EO... give me a break. That show sucked when it was first there and just because M. Jackson is dead did not improve it. I enjoyed HISTA always and was upset when it disappeared especially to be replaced by E.O. In the Land, the addition of Soarin was a vast improvement over the old "you are what you eat" show. That was just silly. We remember it fondly because most were pretty young when they first saw it. I was in my late 30's. I was amused but not impressed. Mission: Space was a huge improvement over Horizons. Like I said, Horizons is remembered nostalgically, not for its content. Wonders of Life was a novel pavilion. I loved Body Wars and Cranium Command, but to be honest I was much more impressed with the preshow for Cranium, then the actual show. I heard a commercial for something the other day and there were the words... "What are you waiting for, an engraved invitation?" Those of you that saw it, know what I'm talking about. I can still hear 'General Knowledge' saying it. The fact that they just abandoned that pavilion is a much bigger problem then just changing the shows. It shows Disney's lack of pride in the parks. You don't leave a building that was a show building unused unless you don't really care.

Seas wasn't hurt by the addition of NEMO. In fact, it probably helped breath some life back into it. Spaceship earth has managed to remain pretty much intact. Only a few changes in the script and narrators. The ending always left a lot to be desired, but, what are they supposed to do with a part of it that for all purposes, is you falling over backwards off a cliff. It's hard to concentrate on anything else.

All those words to say that the people that are complaining about WDW still love the place. What they hate is the management that has abandoned the Walt Disney philosophy in an attempt to make profits bigger and bigger. It has worked to this point, but, it isn't a lasting way to run and nurture a business. It is not planning ahead and insuring that people go back time after time, year after year. Those, so called, haters simply hate to see a spectacular idea and location become a place that looks like it's about to have a going out of business sale out front.

loveofamouse

Original Poster

I agree with you. I notice a lot of that on these boards. For example, Stitch. Stitch gets A LOT of hate. Fact of the matter is, though, AE was losing crowds. The last few times I did it, it was walk on. People often did it once, peed their pants and swore never to do it again. lol. People felt it was too scary for kids. In comes Stitch. Now, while the hot dog smell sucks, the attraction is nice. It entertains. It pulls in crowds. When it comes to Journey, I only remember that one scene. I remember nothing else. Yet, I wasn't a baby when it left so that must be all that was memorable for me. I still enjoy UoE with Ellen. I just think the AAs could use some cleaning and love, maybe a few bits of new tech. I noticed that they did paint the vehicles. I remember them to have been brown. Now they are a pretty blue.

The Body pavilion isn't abandoned. I've seen pics on the web. The whole inside was rethemed and is used during F&G and FW for classes and seminar-type things. I'll see if I can find that site again...

Goofyernmost

here:

http://www.yesterland.com/erasing.html

This page has pics detailing how the pavilion slowly changed over the past few years. It's not a dusty, old abandoned building. It's just going a different life now
True, but when you factor in what it's original life was, this is close to being dead. Just because they have left the props up does not an attraction make. It is used for "special" occasions only whereas it once was a vibrant, interesting attraction that was open everyday. Closing an actual attraction to be used as a place to chow down or get sloshed, especially in a pavilion that once heralded healthy lifestyles, is just plain lazy and not worthy of support.

thom1414

It's funny, when walking into Wonders of Life for the first time, I was blown away by the size of it! It was massive. I was thinking it was going to be this little, throw away tent with a motion ride in it. I was wrong, thats for sure.
I do think that it is important for Parks to have gathering spaces, espeicially for special events and conventions. the only thing is, Epcot alreday has The Odysee. Not the newest building, but large enough to handle large numbers of visiting guests. I really do feel that the WOL building should be used as an anchor for a new E-Ticket atraction. The building is made for it.

thom1414

I agree with you. I notice a lot of that on these boards. For example, Stitch. Stitch gets A LOT of hate. Fact of the matter is, though, AE was losing crowds. The last few times I did it, it was walk on. People often did it once, peed their pants and swore never to do it again. lol. People felt it was too scary for kids. In comes Stitch. Now, while the hot dog smell sucks, the attraction is nice. It entertains. It pulls in crowds. When it comes to Journey, I only remember that one scene. I remember nothing else. Yet, I wasn't a baby when it left so that must be all that was memorable for me. I still enjoy UoE with Ellen. I just think the AAs could use some cleaning and love, maybe a few bits of new tech. I noticed that they did paint the vehicles. I remember them to have been brown. Now they are a pretty blue.

The Body pavilion isn't abandoned. I've seen pics on the web. The whole inside was rethemed and is used during F&G and FW for classes and seminar-type things. I'll see if I can find that site again...

The original Journey into Imagination was a beautiful ride. There was this paper carosel that was amazing. Tons of effects. What's funny is that my first visit was Oct 82, the month the park opened and the JII ride wasnt open yet. But all the Imagine Works games and stuff was open, so we did those. As you got to paint on the screen with a digital pen (which was amazing back then!) I got to paint Dreamfinder. Except, the image was in black and white, and I had no idea who he was. I thought he was Santa! That ride really solidified who that character was.

Stitch gets TONS of hate, agreed. Technically, an amazing expierence. I never get a real chance to see the animatronic as well as I want to in that ride, though. Will try hader on my next trip. But you must understand: I LOVED LOVED LOVED Alien Encounter. It was totally original, and nothing else was like it. And damn was it scary. Out of place at Tomorrowland? Possibly. But I am really glad I got a chance to go on it.

Disney Shib

I really only have one answer...
5. Which do you think needs the most love? That poor malnutrition Polar Bear on the Maelstrom ride. Homeboy need a dozen penguins or something. So sad.

loveofamouse

Original Poster
True, but when you factor in what it's original life was, this is close to being dead. Just because they have left the props up does not an attraction make. It is used for "special" occasions only whereas it once was a vibrant, interesting attraction that was open everyday. Closing an actual attraction to be used as a place to chow down or get sloshed, especially in a pavilion that once heralded healthy lifestyles, is just plain lazy and not worthy of support.

I understand your point. I just pointed that out cause I thought the building was just rotting away unused all this time. I was surprised to see that it's not.

It's funny, when walking into Wonders of Life for the first time, I was blown away by the size of it! It was massive. I was thinking it was going to be this little, throw away tent with a motion ride in it. I was wrong, thats for sure.
I do think that it is important for Parks to have gathering spaces, espeicially for special events and conventions. the only thing is, Epcot alreday has The Odysee. Not the newest building, but large enough to handle large numbers of visiting guests. I really do feel that the WOL building should be used as an anchor for a new E-Ticket atraction. The building is made for it.

Epcot could definitely use a little more to pull people into that park, esp the younger crowds. I'll admit, as a child/teen, epcot was boring. Most kids aren't looking for education while on vacation, esp not OBVIOUS education. lol. Now, as an adult, I find the countries more interesting, but I do feel more could be done with them. Basically, each country is shops and eating. Very little info on each country. The front of the park is education, some more loosely than others. It seems like they aren't sure where to take EPCOT. Nemo isn't educational. Soarin isn't either, really. Yet, we still have UoE and SE. Innovations is all about the technology emerging currently. I'm not really sure where to classify TT lol. There are several dead or dying buildings at EP with AAs also going unloved. Even SSE has some AAs that could use a boost

Disneydreamer23

1. What is your favorite Animatronic throughout the four parks?
Johnny Depp- Pirates of the Carribean

2. Which do you find most impressive or complex (not technically, your opinion)?
Ursula ( Little Mermaid Ride)

3. Which animatronic SCENE do you find most impressive or complex or is your fav?
Country Bears

4. Which RIDE do you think has the best/most/impressive animatronic?
Dinosaur The one that chases you

5. Which do you think needs the most love?
YETI YETI YETI

6. Which do you think is the most creepy?
Trolls on Norway

Goofyernmost

More a complete show that is the American Adventure.

2. Which do you find most impressive or complex (not technically, your opinion)?
Johnny Depp... Pirates of the Carribean

3. Which animatronic SCENE do you find most impressive or complex or is your fav?
Not one scene, but all of the Carousel of Progress.

Again I need to say American Adventure or for just a ride, I haven't seen it in person, but the ones on the SDMT seem pretty good via You-Tube.

Almost all of them.

None of them really creep me out.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Just for fun:

1).
cranium_command2006bh.jpg

2).
obama-hop.jpg
(I don't care for the live one though)

3).
0.jpg

4).http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/06/5792045862_cb88de74b01.jpg

5).
13617808384_769bc9987f_z.jpg

6).
10n%202075.JPG

JIMINYCR

1. Favorite throughout 4 parks? .... POTC Dog w/ jail cell keys
2. Most Impressive or complex?.... ( This was in the Past ) Lucky the Dinosaur. Walking, moving, interacting. That blew me away. Should have found a way possible to make this an ongoing feature.
3. Most Impressive Scene.... Tiki room finale
4. Which Ride ... American Adventure, Took a tour and saw the intricate mechanics behind the scenes. To coordinate all the features animatronics in one show... WOW.
5. Needs Love?.... YETI, Was fortunate to see the working model before it broke down.
6. Most Creepy?.... Munchkins in GMR :in pain:

morningstar

Just for fun:

I have a soft spot in my heart for the brontosaurus in Energy, although it's hard to choose among those dinos. The brontosaurus is my favorite because it comes so close.

Agree on the Wicked Witch.

Original Journey Into Imagination scene on the turntable. Moving along with Dreamfinder's ship, and the interaction between Dreamfinder and Figment. You know I never really stop to think that they aren't real, which I can't really say about Pirates and Haunted Mansion.

Maybe the Tiki Room, since it's nothing but animatronics, and more and more keep coming alive where you didn't expect them.

Again I will cite the Tiki Room. The mechanisms click and whir too much, which breaks suspension of disbelief, and interferes with the music.

The Country Bears.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom