If You Were CEO of Disney for a decade

towerofterror8

Original Poster
What would you change? Would you add new lands, attractions, parks, and resorts? Or simply strive to have what is existing be top notch and give a better experience?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I would only want to work on EPCOT (because I would obviously be tired be the end of a decade's worth of re-working the park)

Spaceship Earth's ending
I'd tear down Mission: Space and re-build a new Horizons ride (I dislike M:S. My opinion!)
Work on the WoL pavilion building
Re-open CC and BW and add brand new mini-attractions in the rest of the pavilion.
Work on the landscape that's blocking the WoL view
Re-film Ellen's Energy Adventure, upgrade the AAs and work on decor in the theater and pre-show
I guess I'd keep Nemo's area the same. Not much you can do there.
Upgrade the film for Soarin', think of a different interactive game to put in there (so i'm not slapped by others)
Upgrade the AAs in the Living with the Land show-scenes, add more show scenes to the barn film area
Close Circle of Life and replace it with a new AA show similar to music style of Food Rocks and AA style of KK
Bring Dreamfinder back to Imagination
Scrap EO (even though I enjoy it) and put a 3D Phineas & Ferb ride there similar to what Minion Mayhem is at U.
Re-open the upstairs ImageWorks as a new sit-down restaurant with Dreamfinder & Figment meet & Greets
A brand new Illuminations show (not saying its old or boring, but what if it was updated?)
Make both Innoventions buildings 2 brand new rides instead of an interactive playground. More rides! :D
Add a Ratatouille ride to France
Expand Maelstrom making more of an actual story plot with the trolls and upgrade AAs and fix things
Upgrade Impressions de France film
Put a Chinese movie ride to replace the 360 show (do we really need two in one park?)
Try to somehow make 3 cabelleros less annoyingly noisy (I do love this ride though)
American Adventure.. Honestly replace the AAs with new even more realistic ones to make it more superb!!
O' Canada's film I actually quite enjoy
Add some more rides to World Showcase rather than keeping it like a giant outdoor shopping mall for money.

psukardi

If you're giving me the keys to the kingdom for a 10 year chunk, you might not like what you get.

First - I'm not building anything new until the old stuff gets fixed. That means makeovers and rolling closures of rides. Sorry folks - ride is closed.
Second - I'm hiring outside consultants to find what's wrong with rides and then I'm looking to find ways to implement those changes. It might mean tinkering with a queue, changing some things, but from start to finish the story has to be told.
Third - Cast Members. I'd look at the standard cost of living and comparison of wages across the sector & make them more competitive. I want the best and brightest to work for me and if that means I have to give a 5% bump across the board so be it. However, that means I'll be more likely to fire people too because CM's are the front line of my product.
Fourth - Flattening the management structure. I can get some of the money for #3 by removing middle management that does nothing on a day to day operation.

Once that's fixed and my house is in order it's time to get into the parks.

1. Magic Kingdom - We are going to do something about those strollers. I'm tired of that eye-sore that it's become. Likewise we are going to find a way to have a path for the ECV's kind of like a bike path on roads in major cities. No longer will walkways be 10 wide full of skooters blocking the way.
1A. Rides - It's time to fix a few things & get back to basics. Tomorrow land needs love: We're going to partner with TESLA and get something going here for the cars & or the people mover. Also, we are going to bring back Mr. Toad's Wild Ride & Alien Encounter. Tough Toenails to soccer mom's that are afraid their precious snowflake might get scared.

2. EPCOT - Time to fix the big giant Ball & rock it old school. Make the narrations a bit "smarter" , not going to dumb down to the audience. We can keep the current layout but lets make the story a bit more compelling. Next it's off Figment - We are finding the money somehow to fix this ride.
2a. World Showcase - You're fine - not messing with what works.

3. MGM - The Big Hat is gone. I'm getting a bulldozer and a wrecking ball & getting that thing out of dodge.
3a. Time for some good street performers. We have the budget and I'm sure we can find some good street performers to do more improv type stuff.
3b. Great Movie Ride - Update where applicable - maybe find a way to get some newer stuff in there. Can we update the queue?
3c. Backlot Tour - Gone! Stunt Show - Gone! Indiana Jones - Time for a makeover
3d. Get a RFI for plans to build some new rides - wow me - I'm not committed but I'm listening.

Hopefully that's realistic.

JIMINYCR

As CEO I ....
Unlock the Imagineers files that have been sitting stagnant forever, look them over and start building some unique attractions. Give them free reign to develop and engineer something no one else has. Bring in young talented, hungry talent with fresh ideas.
Stop building rooms and build a park that will draw guests looking for thrills. Excitement. Give them fast, wild, wow, throughout this park. Leave MK for the youngsters, this park draws the teens + adults.
MK... bring back some of the extinct attractions that we miss. Focus on the older cartoons, films, and characters that built Disney. Disney flicks playing on screens throughout the park. MK focuses on the beginning
EP... build a couple of new countries, scrap Michael Jackson, every country has a ride.
DHS... Make it pure Hollywood & Disney films. From the front gate to the back its all about the actors, movie stars, entertainers, movies and glitter. Street characters and skits everywhere. Bring in a Magic shop. Hat is gone. Open a 1930s 40s Big band club that swings
AK... Scrap the crappy carnival amusement area and build a jurassic park with animatronic Dinosaurs that thrill the kids. Develop a ride on a river boat
DTD ... Mostly Entertainment like we used to have instead of shops.

bethymouse

Build Carsland, Star Wars Land, Pixar Place expanded at DHS.... anything really to make it a better experience there.
Get Avatarland up and running ASAP.
Add a country or 2 to EPCOT with new ride experiences.
Keep MK the same. It has had enough upgrades for now!
Stop building DVC resorts!:eek:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Do what Uni did when building Diagon Alley - have kids give you feedback on new attractions or updates to existing ones.

AK:
Cancel AvatarLand. use the land and make the Pride Lands. with a dark ride for Lion King. and a roller coaster.
Return Tarzan to Animal Kingdom.
Expand Kali River Rapids and make it longer.

DHS:
tear down the studio backlot tour and build Monstropolis. take down the Great Movie Ride and add a child's version of tower of terror. using Carl's house from Up in Pixar Place. take down The Legend Of Jack Sparrow and add an Planes walkthrough of the Planes.

MK:
update the Jungle Cruise and corporate Jungle Book into it.
A Princess and The Frog dark ride in Liberty Square. Update Mickeys PhilarMagic with new scenes.
Meet Jim Hawkins and Ben from Treasure Planet. and the diner from the movie as a sit down restaurant in Tomorrowland.

Epcot:
Add a Ratatouille ride in France.
Add a Phineas and Ferb ride for captain EO. drop mission space and make a walle themed ride.

rob0519

As CEO of Disney you would be responsible for:
Media Networks (6 companies)
Parks and Resorts (11 companies)
Walt Disney Studios ( 7 companies)
Disney Consumer Products (3 companies)
Disney Interactive (1 company)

If you spent 10 years trying to do nothing but fix WDW as the previous posters have suggested, the corporation would fall down around you. Perhaps a better position would be President of Parks and Resorts for those only interested in WDW.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I would only want to work on EPCOT (because I would obviously be tired be the end of a decade's worth of re-working the park)

Spaceship Earth's ending
I'd tear down Mission: Space and re-build a new Horizons ride (I dislike M:S. My opinion!)
Work on the WoL pavilion building
Re-open CC and BW and add brand new mini-attractions in the rest of the pavilion.
Work on the landscape that's blocking the WoL view
Re-film Ellen's Energy Adventure, upgrade the AAs and work on decor in the theater and pre-show
I guess I'd keep Nemo's area the same. Not much you can do there.
Upgrade the film for Soarin', think of a different interactive game to put in there (so i'm not slapped by others)
Upgrade the AAs in the Living with the Land show-scenes, add more show scenes to the barn film area
Close Circle of Life and replace it with a new AA show similar to music style of Food Rocks and AA style of KK
Bring Dreamfinder back to Imagination
Scrap EO (even though I enjoy it) and put a 3D Phineas & Ferb ride there similar to what Minion Mayhem is at U.
Re-open the upstairs ImageWorks as a new sit-down restaurant with Dreamfinder & Figment meet & Greets
A brand new Illuminations show (not saying its old or boring, but what if it was updated?)
Make both Innoventions buildings 2 brand new rides instead of an interactive playground. More rides! :D
Add a Ratatouille ride to France
Expand Maelstrom making more of an actual story plot with the trolls and upgrade AAs and fix things
Upgrade Impressions de France film
Put a Chinese movie ride to replace the 360 show (do we really need two in one park?)
Try to somehow make 3 cabelleros less annoyingly noisy (I do love this ride though)
American Adventure.. Honestly replace the AAs with new even more realistic ones to make it more superb!!
O' Canada's film I actually quite enjoy
Add some more rides to World Showcase rather than keeping it like a giant outdoor shopping mall for money.
It's... IT'S BEAUTIFUL! :happy:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
As CEO of Disney you would be responsible for:
Media Networks (6 companies)
Parks and Resorts (11 companies)
Walt Disney Studios ( 7 companies)
Disney Consumer Products (3 companies)
Disney Interactive (1 company)

If you spent 10 years trying to do nothing but fix WDW as the previous posters have suggested, the corporation would fall down around you. Perhaps a better position would be President of Parks and Resorts for those only interested in WDW.

Did not know that. Yes president of the parks would be where my post was coming from.

thomas998

What would you change? Would you add new lands, attractions, parks, and resorts? Or simply strive to have what is existing be top notch and give a better experience?

Would start by getting the company in order... which means selling off ESPN and ABC. They drain way too much money off for things like football and other sports that aren't key to Disney... Then it would be time to open some new parks outside of Anaheim and Orlando... A large true resort in South America modeled after WDW and one smaller park similar to DL in the middle of the country... And then move to open small party places in major cities where you would have a couple of dark ride copies and meet and greet places in a place designed to hold birthday parties providing cake and pizza... nothing major but enough that it would promote the brand and generate interest in the main parks.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Would start by getting the company in order... which means selling off ESPN and ABC. They drain way too much money off for things like football and other sports that aren't key to Disney... Then it would be time to open some new parks outside of Anaheim and Orlando... A large true resort in South America modeled after WDW and one smaller park similar to DL in the middle of the country... And then move to open small party places in major cities where you would have a couple of dark ride copies and meet and greet places in a place designed to hold birthday parties providing cake and pizza... nothing major but enough that it would promote the brand and generate interest in the main parks.

Disney Chucky Cheeses....... :eek:

The Incredible Schmulk

As President of Parks Operations, I would raze pretty much all of Hollywood Studios. The time in American culture when people cared about the inner workings of a studio system enough that a park that simulated the behind-the-scenes experience was feasible has been over for more than a decade now. It's nostalgia of nostalgia... Meta-nostalgia. It's time to move on.

I would replace the park's current layout and myriad examples of wasted space with a more traditional hub and spoke design that celebrated heavily-themed lands based on the company's properties (Star Wars, Pixar, whatever they're allowed to use of Marvel, Pirates, etc.). Sure, Epcot needs a lot of TLC and would maybe be better served with a returned focus on EPCOT Center, but Hollywood Studios is a shambles. I think it would take a full ten years to bring it back from the brink of obsolescence and insignificance. It needs the California Adventure treatment, twice over.

Last edited:

ElvisMickey

I was going to take a detailed shot at this but I only get an hour for lunch lol. Let's just say it would begin by reverting back to the question, "What would Walt do?" and applying those answers to change what's been wrong for the last several years and decisions made going forward. Innovate, take chances, spend money and invest in the parks!There is a reason why we all fell in love with this company to begin with and it has nothing to do with DVC, Magic Bands, Olaf cupcakes or a lame, unproven franchise like Avatar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom