If I could improve Walt Disney World....

mharrington

True, but I believe that's just a m&g right? Easily replaceable, and for all we know it could very well be a placeholder for another attraction awaiting $$$

I have found information on Pete's Silly Sideshow: it will be in the red tent and be special meet-n-greet for most of Mickey's friends in a circus setting, but not Mickey himself, who is still on Main Street. Here are some pictures below:
ait119058SMALL.jpg

pss380923.jpg

pss480731.jpg

pss610746.jpg

pss598075.jpg

So, how can I do Mickey's Fun House now? I have some ideas for scenes, based on the pictures above, but how can both this meet-n-greet and my dark ride coexist? Even if I could scrap the meet-n-greet, where would all the characters go?

mharrington

I think a Pinnichio ride would be good in Fantasyland

I don't think that there is the room for it. I had created one for Fantasyland (a great one, too), but that was long before the Fantasyland overhaul as it came to pass had closed off any logical access point to it. Any path to the very back behind the expanded area and before the railroad track would be way too small for regular foot traffic.

mharrington

As promised, based on the link I provided above from over a week ago, here's the complete list of new attractions (not counting shops, restaurants, character meet-n-greets, etc.) at Epcot:

FUTURE WORLD (attractions arranged by pavilion):
  1. Spaceship Earth
  2. Innoventions (with a new One Man's Dream exhibit and possibly another on the earth)
  3. The Living Seas
  4. Living With the Land (at The Land)
  5. Cuisine Cabaret (at The Land)
  6. Soarin' Over Florida (at The Land)
  7. Journey Into Imagination: The Quest For Dreamfinder (at Imagination!)
  8. Image Works (at Imagination!)
  9. Magic Journeys (at Imagination!)
  10. The Art of Imagineering (at Imagination!)
  11. Test Track
  12. Mission: Space
  13. New Horizons
  14. Universe of Energy
WORLD SHOWCASE (again, attractions arranged by pavilion):
  1. Gran Fiesta Tour With the Three Caballeros (at Mexico)
  2. A Frozen overlay of Maelstrom likely coming (at Norway)
  3. Reflections of China (at China)
  4. Rhine River Cruise? (at Germany)
  5. Impressioni dell'Italia (at Italy)
  6. The American Adventure
  7. A new attraction with a kaiju monster (at Japan)
  8. Impressions de France (at France)
  9. O Canada (at Canada)
I put a question mark next to the Germany ride, because I'm still debating about how to do it. I want to include it, but I'm concerned that today's guests would think it boring. Also the attraction at the Japan with the new kaiju monster is currently nameless.

And one more thing, there will be a new logo for the park, one that is new yet also harkens back to the Epcot logo of old:
th

What do you think of it?

kjb101791

These things may have been said in the first 31 pages, but...

-Captain Eo has to go. It's not Disney and it's very dated. And people forget that MJ is a pedo. Why is it around still!?
- add more countries to the world showcase. There's room.
- more dining options at Hollywood Studios, particularly quick service.
- (dreaming- won't happen) dump cars land and expand the toy story section out into where cars land will go. That way it'll be unique from Disneyland.

I am happy parking is being improved at dtd. It was a mess.

Voxel

President of Progress City
As promised, based on the link I provided above from over a week ago, here's the complete list of new attractions (not counting shops, restaurants, character meet-n-greets, etc.) at Epcot:

1. Spaceship Earth
  2. Innoventions (with a new One Man's Dream exhibit and possibly another on the earth)
  3. The Living Seas
  11. Test Track
  13. New Horizons
  14. Universe of Energy
  9. O Canada (at Canada)
I put a question mark next to the Germany ride, because I'm still debating about how to do it. I want to include it, but I'm concerned that today's guests would think it boring. Also the attraction at the Japan with the new kaiju monster is currently nameless.

And one more thing, there will be a new logo for the park, one that is new yet also harkens back to the Epcot logo of old:
th

What do you think of it?
I really like this logo. Did you create it? Its really impressive.

tcool

1. Spaceship Earth
  3. The Living Seas
  11. Test Track
  13. New Horizons
  14. Universe of Energy
  9. O Canada (at Canada)

th

What do you think of it?
Sound really good & like the logo.

mharrington

After I was done with Epcot's Future World, the pavilions all have their own sponsors again:
  • Spaceship Earth, presented by Siemens
  • The Living Seas, presented by National Geographic?
  • The Land, presented by Dreyer's
  • Imagination!, presented by Nikon
  • Test Track, presented by Chevrolet
  • Mission: Space, presented by HP
  • New Horizons, presented by Google
  • Universe of Energy, presented by SolarCity
Nice arrangement, don't you think?

mahnamahna101

If I could completely improve WDW,

MK (Additions, not replacements, are in bold)

Adventureland
  1. The Great Jungle Expedition mentioned above (includes volcano and King Louie's Temple as a sizable rerouting/expansion of Jungle Cruise) - all ages E ticket
  2. Indiana Jones and the Race Through Fire Mountain (similar to the old Fire Mountain concept but themed to Indiana Jones - gives him a place if the Indy show closes) - E ticket immersive roller coaster/dark ride hybrid (48") 7-8 minutes long
  3. Agrabah mini-land added beyond berm, allowing the marketplace to open up once again. Aladdin show similar to the one at DCA is brought in alongside the Magic Carpets
  4. Swiss Family gets some love (maybe rethemed to Tarzan finally?)
Frontierland
  • Splash and Big Thunder get extensive upgrades
  • The Golden Horseshoe Revue is renovated and transformed into a brand new show (could possibly be Woody's Roundup, Lone Ranger, Pecos Bill, etc)
  • Tom Sawyer Island is completely gutted/torn down to open up a huge expansion pad (for Frontierland, Liberty Square and Fantasyland). While it is a landmark attraction, it looked desolate/empty when I walked past it on the way to Big Thunder back in June. Unless it's October or February, no reason for such a large attraction to be that empty year-round.
  1. In TSI's place, alongside the vast expansion pad beyond the railroad and some space by Liberty Square:
  • Western River Expedition (all-ages D ticket family dark ride inside a raft)
  • Geyser Mountain (E ticket drop tower/dark ride hybrid that surpasses ToT in show and quality)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Alien Encounter-esque show)
The big use for the opened-up expansion pad would be Discovery Bay (all new land inspired by the old Tony Baxter concept)
  • Professor Marvel's Gallery (first of its kind show that melds CircleVision, 4D effects, AAs, sets, and the five senses together seamlessly)
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (combines the classic Submarine Voyage with full scale sets, AAs and show scenes... along with a crazy finale involving a giant array of octopus. 800 people per ride vehicle, 4,000 riders per hour - a dispatch every 12 minutes)
  • The Time Machine (E ticket dark ride that takes guests on a journey through time to prevent a shift in the space-time continuum. Plenty of world locales and mayhem occurs - leading to a dystopian past/present/future in the end)
Fantasyland
  1. It's a Small World is relocated to World Showcase while the old Fantasyland show building is torn down
  2. A D-ticket Tangled family dark ride is put in IASW's place (entrance moved to side near Tangled bathrooms). Village Haus is relocated to Pleasure Island mini-land allowing old restaurant to be used for queue space for Tangled dark ride
  3. Old Peter Pan building/bathrooms are used for Jolly Holiday with Mary (family dark ride themed to Mary Poppins)
  4. Philharmagic is relocated to Town Square while the old building is used for a Sleeping Beauty/Maleficent attraction
  5. Next to Discovery Bay, Oogie Boogie's Fear Factory (walkthrough/show) and Bald Mountain (immersive thrill coaster that is timed to run at the exact length of Night on Bald Mountain - 54" height requirement) make up a new Shadowlands mini-land within Fantasyland
  6. Neverland gets a mini-land past Shadowlands that includes an E-ticket version of Peter Pan's Flight, a Pixie Hollow M&G, and a Jolly Roger water play area
  7. Past Neverland, you have Wonderland which includes Alice's Curious Labyrinth, a Caterpillar kiddie coaster, along with relocated Mad Tea Party and Cheshire Cafe.
  8. Arendale is the biggest addition, including Elsa's Ice Palace (trackless dark ride) and Olaf's Snowtime Rink (flat ride similar to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree), along with a relocated Princess Fairytale Hall
  9. Pleasure Island is represented by Pinocchio's Daring Journey (starts out like a typical family boat ride, but ends with a 35-40 ft drop out of Monstro's mouth... drop is concealed by mist and simulated rolling waves along the newly built lagoon)... tents are removed for this
  10. Casey Jr. Soak Station is removed, but a Casey Jr. Circus Train ride that expands upon the one at Disneyland is added (a couple show scenes and sets are included)... goes where Barnstormer used to be
  11. The old Tea Party/Cheshire Cafe area is transformed into 100 Acre Wood. Hunny Flyers (mini swings) and Rabbit's Garden take over
  12. The old Princess Fairytale Hall is used for a large Pooh expansion that brings the ride up to Hunny Hunt standards
  13. Tomorrowland Speedway is torn down for Sugar Rush Racers (E ticket similar to RSR - 34" for Sugar Rush side, 42" for Hero's Duty side)
Tomorrowland
  1. Space behind Speedway and Space Mountain is opened up to allow:
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy - Rise of Thanos (if Disney ever got the rights to use them GotG/Avengers in a theme park, this would be a likely E ticket for a Tomorrowland expansion. KUKA arm/EMV dark ride hybrid - 44")
  3. Flying Saucers (higher capacity, enclosed version of the Disneyland classic with strong SFX)
  4. Cosmic Rovers (family people-moving dark ride that shows the exploration of different planets for a peaceful perspective)
  5. Plectu's Intergalactic Revue (light-hearted show about a stranded alien entertainer)
  • Space Mountain gets a massive upgrade/renovation (both sides are used regularly, new SFX, on-board audio, smoother track, planets, asteroids, fog, lasers, a launch (one at the beginning and another as you "get sucked into a black hole" - 50 mph winds blowing on you just because!, maybe an asteroid causes an inversion or two?) - 48"
  • Laugh Floor and Buzz are used for Realm of the Mind (a scientific voyage into a human brain that shows the advances of the far future) - it's a show/family dark ride hybrid that uses shoot 'em up tech to shoot deadly disease cells
  • Stitch gets turned into Baymax Headquarters (a demonstration of the team's futuristic technology... ultimately botched by a surprise villain attack) - 40"
  • Carousel of Progress gets a sizable upgrade
  • The Incredibles show is removed for Stitchapalooza (small scale show)
That's just MK for now... would cost a fortune to put in place ($3-4 billion easily)

mharrington

Frontierland
  • Splash and Big Thunder get extensive upgrades
  • The Golden Horseshoe Revue is renovated and transformed into a brand new show (could possibly be Woody's Roundup, Lone Ranger, Pecos Bill, etc)
  • Tom Sawyer Island is completely gutted/torn down to open up a huge expansion pad (for Frontierland, Liberty Square and Fantasyland). While it is a landmark attraction, it looked desolate/empty when I walked past it on the way to Big Thunder back in June. Unless it's October or February, no reason for such a large attraction to be that empty year-round.
  1. In TSI's place, alongside the vast expansion pad beyond the railroad and some space by Liberty Square:
  • Western River Expedition (all-ages D ticket family dark ride inside a raft)
  • Geyser Mountain (E ticket drop tower/dark ride hybrid that surpasses ToT in show and quality)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Alien Encounter-esque show)
The big use for the opened-up expansion pad would be Discovery Bay (all new land inspired by the old Tony Baxter concept)
  • Professor Marvel's Gallery (first of its kind show that melds CircleVision, 4D effects, AAs, sets, and the five senses together seamlessly)
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (combines the classic Submarine Voyage with full scale sets, AAs and show scenes... along with a crazy finale involving a giant array of octopus. 800 people per ride vehicle, 4,000 riders per hour - a dispatch every 12 minutes)
  • The Time Machine (E ticket dark ride that takes guests on a journey through time to prevent a shift in the space-time continuum. Plenty of world locales and mayhem occurs - leading to a dystopian past/present/future in the end)

What about the Liberty Belle Riverboat? Is that going to be removed? Because your replacement of Tom Sawyer Island seems like it would entail a removal of the Rivers of America and, by extension, the Liberty Belle Riverboat.

mahnamahna101

What about the Liberty Belle Riverboat? Is that going to be removed? Because your replacement of Tom Sawyer Island seems like it would entail a removal of the Rivers of America and, by extension, the Liberty Belle Riverboat.
Considering no one ever seems to ride the Riverboat, probably yes. And Thunder Mesa (Geyser, WRE, Big Thunder) could potentially have some woodland streams that use a little of the old Rivers of America. It's a huge chunk of land that blocks out potential expansion beyond the been. Doesn't help that it's low traffic these days and has been allowed to go to waste.

mharrington

Considering no one ever seems to ride the Riverboat, probably yes. And Thunder Mesa (Geyser, WRE, Big Thunder) could potentially have some woodland streams that use a little of the old Rivers of America. It's a huge chunk of land that blocks out potential expansion beyond the been. Doesn't help that it's low traffic these days and has been allowed to go to waste.

Really? I didn't know that no one rode the Riverboat anymore. I'd keep that, because it's a good way to get off your feet and catch your breath in the hustle and bustle of the park.

I'm just curious, but why does every improvement of the Magic Kingdom seem to always be an expansion?

mahnamahna101

Really? I didn't know that no one rode the Riverboat anymore. I'd keep that, because it's a good way to get off your feet and catch your breath in the hustle and bustle of the park.

I'm just curious, but why does every improvement of the Magic Kingdom seem to always be an expansion?
For one, Disneyland takes up less space and nearly doubles the amount of attractions that MK has. Disneyland has 58 right now. MK has 47 if you include M&Gs, parades, mini-shows, etc. 34 if you don't. And there was an Ideal Buildout that managed to fit 70 attractions total (would require removing Submarine Voyage, Autopia, Innoventions, Toontown and the Monorail I believe). 55-60 true-blue attractions wouldn't be impossible to do (parades, Streetmosphere and M&Gs don't count). No reason MK can't eventually do the same.

The park's crowded enough as is. And you could always add a new version of the Riverboat after Thunder Mesa and Discovery Bay were finished. But it shouldn't stay when it's taking up 20-25 acres of land that also happens to be blocking another 5-10 acre expansion pad. And how is MK supposed to hold over 20 million comfortably without new E-tickets and D-tickets that aren't replacing current attractions? There's tons of open space beyond the berm that could be used for new additions if TDO bothered to invest in reworking backstage (likely $500 million-$1 billion)

There's also the Frontierland bottleneck (Splash and Big Thunder are backed into a corner. TSI/RoA blocks access to the expansion pad that would finally end the bottleneck and allow for sizable capacity expansion)

And Magic Kingdom lacks in the teen/adult department. Aside from the big 3 mountains, POTC and HM, I can't think of something that teens/adults desperately clamor to do. IASW, Buzz, SDMT and even Jungle Cruise would probably be secondary attractions on most people over the age of 8's to do list when visiting MK. A few more attractions that aren't aimed primarily at kiddies would be ideal. I'd even say a few rides on par with Universal in the thrills department wouldn't be bad, either (FJ, Gringotts, Spider-Man, Revenge of the Mummy... can't say I would mind something as thrilling as any of those coming to MK. Especially if the theming was top notch)

It's been 20 years since the last E ticket and if MK ever wants to comfortably get past 20 million guests, they have to add attractions rather than keep the same 34. or worse close down a few to save money.

mharrington

For one, Disneyland takes up less space and nearly doubles the amount of attractions that MK has. Disneyland has 58 right now. MK has 47 if you include M&Gs, parades, mini-shows, etc. 34 if you don't. And there was an Ideal Buildout that managed to fit 70 attractions total (would require removing Submarine Voyage, Autopia, Innoventions, Toontown and the Monorail I believe). 55-60 true-blue attractions wouldn't be impossible to do (parades, Streetmosphere and M&Gs don't count). No reason MK can't eventually do the same.

The park's crowded enough as is. And you could always add a new version of the Riverboat after Thunder Mesa and Discovery Bay were finished. But it shouldn't stay when it's taking up 20-25 acres of land that also happens to be blocking another 5-10 acre expansion pad. And how is MK supposed to hold over 20 million comfortably without new E-tickets and D-tickets that aren't replacing current attractions? There's tons of open space beyond the berm that could be used for new additions if TDO bothered to invest in reworking backstage (likely $500 million-$1 billion)

There's also the Frontierland bottleneck (Splash and Big Thunder are backed into a corner. TSI/RoA blocks access to the expansion pad that would finally end the bottleneck and allow for sizable capacity expansion)

And Magic Kingdom lacks in the teen/adult department. Aside from the big 3 mountains, POTC and HM, I can't think of something that teens/adults desperately clamor to do. IASW, Buzz, SDMT and even Jungle Cruise would probably be secondary attractions on most people over the age of 8's to do list when visiting MK. A few more attractions that aren't aimed primarily at kiddies would be ideal. I'd even say a few rides on par with Universal in the thrills department wouldn't be bad, either (FJ, Gringotts, Spider-Man, Revenge of the Mummy... can't say I would mind something as thrilling as any of those coming to MK. Especially if the theming was top notch)

It's been 20 years since the last E ticket and if MK ever wants to comfortably get past 20 million guests, they have to add attractions rather than keep the same 34. or worse close down a few to save money.

Well, first of all, when I do my own Imagineering threads like these, I don't take into account how much they'd cost, because I have absolutely no idea. Another thing is not every attraction at the parks have to be some kind of an E-ticket ride. I thought that the Magic Kingdom was created especially for families, or more to the point, for the young and the young-at-heart.

Finally, I know there's plenty of space in the back for additional attractions. Don't get me wrong, I would love to put more stuff back there as much as the next guy. However, it would be extremely difficult to get back there without having to contend with backstage areas. At least, this is true of Fantasyland. Here's a shot showing off a bit of the backstage area:
Fantasyland_Full_17123.jpg

In addition to roads (not shown here; I know, it's not the best image), I thought I read that the back end there has some stairs, so it's not all one level, but two. It's also the entrance to the utilidors. I just think it would create a great deal of headaches. Sure, you can build new rides back there, but how can the utilidors be folded into the proceedings?

I'm not trying to dismiss your ideas, just trying to figure out a way how they can physically work. My own ideas for improving the park, as this thread shows (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-a-brand-new-mk-and-epcot-for-you.864107/), tend to work within my "finding" mentality. I have lots of ideas, but if I can't find a way to get to and from them, I don't put them down.

I had also made another thread about that (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-finder-or-a-maker.885712/), on whether one is a "finder" (that is, someone who tries to find space for something), as I am, or a "maker" (or someone who tries to make space for something no matter what), as you seem to be.

mahnamahna101

Well, first of all, when I do my own Imagineering threads like these, I don't take into account how much they'd cost, because I have absolutely no idea. Another thing is not every attraction at the parks have to be some kind of an E-ticket ride. I thought that the Magic Kingdom was created especially for families, or more to the point, for the young and the young-at-heart.

Finally, I know there's plenty of space in the back for additional attractions. Don't get me wrong, I would love to put more stuff back there as much as the next guy. However, it would be extremely difficult to get back there without having to contend with backstage areas. At least, this is true of Fantasyland. Here's a shot showing off a bit of the backstage area:
Fantasyland_Full_17123.jpg

In addition to roads (not shown here; I know, it's not the best image), I thought I read that the back end there has some stairs, so it's not all one level, but two. It's also the entrance to the utilidors. I just think it would create a great deal of headaches. Sure, you can build new rides back there, but how can the utilidors be folded into the proceedings?

I'm not trying to dismiss your ideas, just trying to figure out a way how they can physically work. My own ideas for improving the park, as this thread shows (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-a-brand-new-mk-and-epcot-for-you.864107/), tend to work within my "finding" mentality. I have lots of ideas, but if I can't find a way to get to and from them, I don't put them down.

I had also made another thread about that (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-finder-or-a-maker.885712/), on whether one is a "finder" (that is, someone who tries to find space for something), as I am, or a "maker" (or someone who tries to make space for something no matter what), as you seem to be.
Magic Kingdom wasn't created just for preschoolers and elementary schoolers... just because a park is family-friendly doesn't mean there can't be a few thrilling attractions. Space Mountain is currently the only true-blue thrill ride in the park (Big Thunder and Splash have lots of little kids on them. You never see that many on Space.) while even Disneyland has 2 (Indy and Space). DCA has 3 (ToT, California Screamin' and Grizzly River Run). USF has 4-5 (Depending if Transformers and Simpsons could be considered thrill rides). Epcot has 2.

Do you sincerely think anything TDO has added to MK since 1994 has any appeal with the majority of people over the age of 8? Most every addition has been geared towards little kids. Pooh replaces Mr. Toad. Buzz replaces If You Had Wings. Stitch replaces Alien Encounter. Monsters Inc replaces Timekeeper. All of which were explicitly kiddie, except Mr. Toad (even that featured a trip to Hell... Pooh it's not!) which is too unknown of a Disney movie to be kiddie.

Magic Kingdom hasn't gotten an E-ticket or even a non-kiddie attraction in 22 and 20 years respectively (Splash Mountain and ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter). It's due for one or two at this point - maybe even 3.

A D-ticket in Frontierland wouldn't hurt either. Again, with $1 billion, you could definitely rework backstage to the point where it can become expansion space. Could have gotten that and $500-$1 billion more in attractions for what MM+ cost. Fantasyland needs an E-ticket. Frontierland needs some expansion to clear up the congested bottleneck, which could eventually connect to a Fantasyland expansion. Adventureland could use some sort of thrill ride/weenie to draw some crowds there in the morning (Fire Mountain, JttCotE, Indy... something that will get people into this section of the park). MK doesn't have to be all kiddie rides in order to appeal to the young at heart. More importantly, adding a couple more thrill rides would benefit the park with teens/adults and give little kids something to look forward to on their next visit (they could ride more and more the older they get - builds some excitement... as long as you know how tall they are at the beginning of the visit)

With creativity, the utilidors could be concealed/hidden/themed pretty easily. TDO just has to be willing to go through with a major expansion. It might come across as insane to stockholders... but reworking backstage could work if they were willing to invest gobs of money. I get that you would want to know if it's feasible. But really, it's up to whether the Imagineers are given the tools to properly expand into former backstage areas. Walt didn't buy up all that land to see MK be limited in terms of additions. Plus, how is MK going to sustain 20 million+ comfortably if they don't add some more people-eating attractions and E-tickets? Or fix bottlenecks? Hypothetically, you could go behind all of the park's lands, expand each of them, and connect the said expansions to prevent any bottlenecks. The park might be huge/impossible to navigate, but that's what a 5-7 day visit is for right? You could do half the park one day, half the next or another day.

If Disneyland could potentially fit 70 attractions (not including M&Gs, mini-shows, etc), MK should be able to get to 50-60 with all of the excessive space. The only question is will TDO invest in drastically expanding the guest footprint and add 15-20 more attractions in the process (that's how many you could fit in the huge expansion areas behind each of the lands. Probably 7 for Fantasyland (Peter Pan and Mad Tea Party's relocation being 2 of them), 3 for Adventureland, 2 for Frontierland, 1 for Liberty Square, 4 for Tomorrowland, 3 for an all new land... Discovery Bay? Something different?)

I understand your point, but a sizable amount of cash would get rid of the backstage issue ($500 million+, likely closer to $1 billion) if they budget properly.

mharrington

Okay, all of the following are not at all meant to be an offense to you or to anyone, but...

Magic Kingdom wasn't created just for preschoolers and elementary schoolers... just because a park is family-friendly doesn't mean there can't be a few thrilling attractions. Space Mountain is currently the only true-blue thrill ride in the park (Big Thunder and Splash have lots of little kids on them. You never see that many on Space.) while even Disneyland has 2 (Indy and Space). DCA has 3 (ToT, California Screamin' and Grizzly River Run). USF has 4-5 (Depending if Transformers and Simpsons could be considered thrill rides). Epcot has 2.

Magic Kingdom hasn't gotten an E-ticket or even a non-kiddie attraction in 22 and 20 years respectively (Splash Mountain and ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter). It's due for one or two at this point - maybe even 3/

Well, the park was created mainly for families. It just happened that many families had younger kids. And it so happens that the Magic Kingdom is one of the more kid-friendly parts of the resort. If you were to take the resort as a whole, as a lot of people here like to do, there's plenty of things for non-kiddies to do. It's really not fair to compare the Magic Kingdom to other Disney parks or even to Universal. Maybe the people in charge know something we don't.

With creativity, the utilidors could be concealed/hidden/themed pretty easily. TDO just has to be willing to go through with a major expansion. It might come across as insane to stockholders... but reworking backstage could work if they were willing to invest gobs of money. I get that you would want to know if it's feasible. But really, it's up to whether the Imagineers are given the tools to properly expand into former backstage areas. Walt didn't buy up all that land to see MK be limited in terms of additions. Plus, how is MK going to sustain 20 million+ comfortably if they don't add some more people-eating attractions and E-tickets? Or fix bottlenecks? Hypothetically, you could go behind all of the park's lands, expand each of them, and connect the said expansions to prevent any bottlenecks. The park might be huge/impossible to navigate, but that's what a 5-7 day visit is for right? You could do half the park one day, half the next or another day.

As I said before, I'm not the most creative person in the world. I'm very literal-minded, which is a symptom of Asperger's Syndrome, which I have. Now, I don't know about Frontierland or Adventureland, but how can one possibly go to that backstage area of Fantasyland? Because unlike you, I like to keep Small World there. No offense, but it doesn't really fit in World Showcase, and it's an unrealistic idea to relocate it, too. And it would take away from the castle parks' continuous attractions from one park to the next. For instance, in Florida, Star Tours and Fantasmic are located not at the Magic Kingdom but at the Studios. Also, Epcot is home to the 3D movie typically found in a castle park in other resorts. And it goes both ways, too: DCA is home to the Little Mermaid ride and a Goofy-themed roller coaster, but in Florida, both are located at the Magic Kingdom.

My point is, I would much rather try to use the relocation of preexisting castle park attractions in non-castle parks sparingly. Small World is just too "castle park"-like (for a lack of better words) to not be in a castle park.

If Disneyland could potentially fit 70 attractions (not including M&Gs, mini-shows, etc), MK should be able to get to 50-60 with all of the excessive space. The only question is will TDO invest in drastically expanding the guest footprint and add 15-20 more attractions in the process (that's how many you could fit in the huge expansion areas behind each of the lands. Probably 7 for Fantasyland (Peter Pan and Mad Tea Party's relocation being 2 of them), 3 for Adventureland, 2 for Frontierland, 1 for Liberty Square, 4 for Tomorrowland, 3 for an all new land... Discovery Bay? Something different?)

I understand your point, but a sizable amount of cash would get rid of the backstage issue ($500 million+, likely closer to $1 billion) if they budget properly.

Like I said, I don't know how much anything would realistically cost, and so I don't bother trying to guess. That usually comes later. Also, once again, it's not fair to compare the Magic Kingdom to Disneyland in terms of what one has over the other or how much one or the other has.

Getting back to the proposed Rivers of America/Riverboat/Tom Sawyer Island removal idea of yours, there are several concerns of mine. For one thing, with the Riverboat in particular gone, how can one just take time for a few minutes to relax? With the Riverboat gone, you would only be adding to the rush-here, do-that frenzy of trying to get as much done in one trip, if not one day, as possible. Also, there's the issue of that one U-turn that the Splash Mountain logs go through after the big drop. It extends, appropriately enough, into the river. It was rather ingenious, what they did, and intricate. But if the Rivers of America is gone, how can the turnaround still be intricate?

Not everything in the Magic Kingdom has to be some fancy E-ticket thrill-a-minute attraction that outlaws small children.

I should also mention that when I create new things for the parks, any park, I like to try and remove as little as possible. I'm sentimental that way. I also try and fit within preexisting boundaries, because, as I said before, I really don't know about how realistic it would be to build back there. In short, I always feel the need to compromise. This is has nothing to do with funding (like I said, that's just a side effect) and everything to do with location and sentimental value. As I said before, for example, Small World just fits better in a castle park. Also, I just can't see them reshuffling practically all of the old Fantasyland attractions (i.e., Peter Pan and the teacups) around just to accommodate new things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom