How does Ellen's Energy Adventure work?

Goofyernmost

As said all 100 tiles rotated.

They were actually triangular shaped with two white and one black sides. Projection enhanced the effect.
I stand corrected! I couldn't remember seeing them move, but, I went the first year it was there and I hated it so much* that I never went again until Ellen took over. That one I enjoyed and by then they were stationary screens. I did see a You-Tube showing that I am certain was a stationary screen with 3D effects.
A 45 minute Exxon commercial indicating how much we should be grateful for them and there environmental conscientiousness. Yea, right! Does the name Valdez mean anything to ya?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I did see a You-Tube showing that I am certain was a stationary screen with 3D effects.
Ellen was meant to open in early summer 1996. However, the production of the films slipped behind schedule and with Horizons seasonal and Motion being converted to Test Track (little did they know!) it was decided they had to being back the original UOE for park capacity. Imagine someone worrying about that today.

So anyway, the original 1982 films were brought back but amongst other things the Radok screens had been destroyed. So the original preshow was shown for almost a year on the newly installed five static screens.

The theatre two welcome narration was also re recorded to remove reference to the now trashed map displays and the finale had to play with no mirrored walls producing a lacklustre effect with no wrap around neon animations.

The already installed Ellen animatronic was hidden behind a plastic rock but the pond based elasmosaurus was already programmed to attack the new AA and so spent the rest of summer 96 attacking the false boulder instead.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
The one thing I hate about UoE is just how barren it is. The preshow room is....just a giant empty room with three movie screens and a handful of benches. Everything is done in black...black walls, black carpet.

Then you enter Theater 1 to the vehicles...and it's more of the same. The vehicles are sitting in the middle of this very large expanse of a room, with all black walls, black carpets, black curtains, etc. Same goes for Theater 2.

The only way to make it more bleak and depressing would be to axe Ellen and put in Winona Ryder.
tumblr_lay9nckGXL1qeuofxo1_500_large.gif

"Energy orange? Energy fruit? Energy....breakfast?"

They should liven things up a bit. Put some hands-on exhibits into the preshow. Bring back the kinetic mosaic show. Heck, even painting some murals on the walls would help it tremendously. They need to strip away the funeral and keep the fun.

I dunno, I kind of like it. Sometimes it's nice to get out of the Florida sunlight and cozy up on a pretty dark ride. Also, isn't the pre-show room so huge because of it's large capacity? I believe each group of 6 trains takes in 1,000 guests per show. (not saying that that's how many goes on now..)

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I'll agree that the décor and setting of the theaters doesn't really match the current show, but it did match the original show, which was much more serious and had a darker mood to it (which I prefer). It also gave the pavilion a sense of grandness, and combined with the more serious presentation of the original show, made for a very amazing experience.

No offense to the people who enjoyed the original Energy ride. Also it won't help that I haven't seen anything more than YouTube videos.. But.... It seemed pretty dang boring. :p

I did like the pre-show though. I thought that was neat.

Ginzuishou

The ride is insulting to its guests since it is so outdated. It's just them being lazy.
I always ride it when I go for geek factor, but it's just dumb overall.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I personally try to ride it at least once every time I go to Epcot, but mostly so I can experience the traveling theater ride system. I don't care for the actual show much.

wdwgreek

See I love Ellen and grew up with Bill Nye. The Original show had an awesome theme song, but was so dull it was painful. If you take off the nostalgia blinders the original UOE was just ok, the 94 referb mind you is by far perfect, the facts are outdated and often false, the films need to be restored, and that cell phone in the pre show- shudders- but its a lot of fun and for me a must do at least once each trip!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've said it before... The films are a waste of the pavilion.

The original had content issues but had the wow factor. The way the storm followed you from theatre one into the diorama. The reveals. The finale using the mirrored walls. The music.

This version doesn't even have a finale.

Let alone the Radok preshow, the anticipation, the lighting, the multiple effects that no longer work...

The Empress Lilly

The original had content issues but had the wow factor. The way the storm followed you from theatre one into the diorama. The reveals. The finale using the mirrored walls. The music.

Let alone the Radok preshow, the anticipation, the lighting, the multiple effects that no longer work...
:cry:

Goofyernmost

No offense to the people who enjoyed the original Energy ride. Also it won't help that I haven't seen anything more than YouTube videos.. But.... It seemed pretty dang boring. :p

I did like the pre-show though. I thought that was neat.
No truer words were ever spoken, not to mention it was a blatant effort to sell us on Exxon and their saintliness.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster

I personally just think people shouldn't compare the two. They basically apples and oranges.

The original was meant to be very educational and introduce a "wow" factor with some special affects. But if it was still open, it would be very, very boring. And I'm sure with many of today's attention spans, it wouldn't hold them for very long with that monotone narration.

The new one, while still having an education-like feeling to it was solely made to appeal to the modern audiences of the time. (lights 90s early 2000s?) Focusing a bit more on "I know that person/show!" and comedy rather than being serious.

If the original was open still today, it would be 3X more outdated even with it's catchy song, but it did match the rest of the park back in the day. Ellen's Energy Adventure is, too, pretty outdated. But the storyline would still be able to work and be humorous if they re-filmed and updated it.

As far as the affects not working as well, they could've happened to the original Energy as well. I'll bet if it was still open, the same effects that aren't working today, still wouldn't be working. That has nothing to do with the ride. It has to do with the upkeep.

EEA is a great attraction and it could've been ever BETTER if they just put some more details into the theming around it. But, like I said. I don't think either should be compared. They honestly are both too different to compare, appealing to two totally different audiences. That's like Living Seas VS. Nemo.

Cmdr_Crimson

I personally just think people shouldn't compare the two. They basically apples and oranges.

The original was meant to be very educational and introduce a "wow" factor with some special affects. But if it was still open, it would be very, very boring. And I'm sure with many of today's attention spans, it wouldn't hold them for very long with that monotone narration.

The new one, while still having an education-like feeling to it was solely made to appeal to the modern audiences of the time. (lights 90s early 2000s?) Focusing a bit more on "I know that person/show!" and comedy rather than being serious.

If the original was open still today, it would be 3X more outdated even with it's catchy song, but it did match the rest of the park back in the day. Ellen's Energy Adventure is, too, pretty outdated. But the storyline would still be able to work and be humorous if they re-filmed and updated it.

As far as the affects not working as well, they could've happened to the original Energy as well. I'll bet if it was still open, the same effects that aren't working today, still wouldn't be working. That has nothing to do with the ride. It has to do with the upkeep.

EEA is a great attraction and it could've been ever BETTER if they just put some more details into the theming around it. But, like I said. I don't think either should be compared. They honestly are both too different to compare, appealing to two totally different audiences. That's like Living Seas VS. Nemo.

I think the Statistics are the big problem..They are talking in mid 90's stats..I'm pretty sure it's much more different now..

jpittore1

This is my go to nap ride at Epcot and lately with no one really riding it, I can get an entire row so I can even lay down.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
This is my go to nap ride at Epcot and lately with no one really riding it, I can get an entire row so I can even lay down.

Last time I rode (couple years ago) you have to be sitting up. The said you were not allowed to lay down or move from one end to the other, otherwise they would stop the ride. They announced this before the ride started.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom