Universal For Thanksgiving?

lebeau

Original Poster
I have been planning to take the kids to Universal when they were a little older. But frankly, there is nothing happening at Disney that makes me want to go back this year. So I'm thinking about making the switch to Universal earlier than I originally planned.

One of the things that appeals to me is that Universal can be done in a matter of days as opposed to a week. That means we can squeeze in a Universal trip without having to go during the summer months and without missing school.

We have floated the idea of going during Thanksgiving break. I would never want to go to Disney at this time because I know the place will be packed. I am sure Universal will be packed too as kids will be out of school. But I am thinking that if we stay on site and have the front of line perk, the crowds won't impact us all that much.

Thoughts?

lebeau

Original Poster
It'll definitely be crowded, but if you're staying at one of the deluxe hotels you'll be fine. Potter won't have Express, so that's where you'll hit your big waits.

Thanks.

That's pretty much what I figured. The girls want to see the Harry Potter stuff. But they probably won't want to ride much of it. So my thought is to take advantage of early entry to scout out HP and give them all my money for wands and such. I'm hoping I can squeeze in a ride on each of the big ticket items in the HP lands. But if the lines are long and the kids don't want to ride or can't due to height requirements, that may have to wait for another day.

GLaDOS

Thanks.

That's pretty much what I figured. The girls want to see the Harry Potter stuff. But they probably won't want to ride much of it. So my thought is to take advantage of early entry to scout out HP and give them all my money for wands and such. I'm hoping I can squeeze in a ride on each of the big ticket items in the HP lands. But if the lines are long and the kids don't want to ride or can't due to height requirements, that may have to wait for another day.

The nice thing is there will be single ride for Forbidden Journey and Gringotts. And then Hogwarts Express won't have a height restriction.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I would love to do Universal over Thanksgiving weekend. I would try as hard as you can to stay on property as staying in one of their resorts garners you those extra privileges that makes visiting during a holiday do-able especially that early entry to visit the Harry Potter areas and the front of the line perks.

When we stay on property we would do 'water ride time,' at the warmest time of the day, get soaked and take the boat right back to the resort and change. It is so much fun, you don't really mind being wet since you can get back by boat so quickly to your resort, bring a beach towel with ya.

The resorts at Uni also allow pool hopping which we took great advantage of during the very busy hours of the parks. We always tried out one of the themed restaurants for an early dinner each day. So much fun.

lebeau

Original Poster
The nice thing is there will be single ride for Forbidden Journey and Gringotts. And then Hogwarts Express won't have a height restriction.

You anticipated my next question. My wife really wants to see and do everything in HP. For her, it's the main draw. Single rider would be perfect since the kids may not want to ride or may not be able.

Does Universal also do a rider swap like Disney?

I would love to do Universal over Thanksgiving weekend. I would try as hard as you can to stay on property as staying in one of their resorts garners you those extra privileges that makes visiting during a holiday do-able especially that early entry to visit the Harry Potter areas and the front of the line perks.

When we stay on property we would do 'water ride time,' at the warmest time of the day, get soaked and take the boat right back to the resort and change. It is so much fun, you don't really mind being wet since you can get back by boat so quickly to your resort, bring a beach towel with ya.

The resorts at Uni also allow pool hopping which we took great advantage of during the very busy hours of the parks. We always tried out one of the themed restaurants for an early dinner each day. So much fun.

I honestly don't think we would even consider going during the holidays without the on property perks. Especially with kids aged 9 and 5 (which is how old they will be at the time of the trip). But the perks are so good, I think we can enjoy ourselves even with crowds and height restrictions.

BubbaQuest

I'd recommend the whole group get in line for Forbidden Journey even if you all don't plan on riding. The queue is amazing and there are great photo ops for everyone. You can easily leave the queue right before getting on the ride -- just tell the ride attendant you don't want to ride when they ask "how many". I watched several people do that when I was there.

If you stay on property with early morning access, you should be able to get through the queue quickly. Usually the big decision for early morning is Forbidden Journey or Ollivanders Wand Shop. Since they are opening more Wand Shops and a whole lot more Harry Potter stuff, you might want to check back this summer to see how people recommend fighting the crowds in the morning -- running through Seuss Landing may not be the best way anymore.

71jason

Thanks. I figured they must have something. I'll read up on the details.

Edit: Sounds almost exactly like what Disney does. Perfect.

The FJ one is actually well-themed, and they show the movies in there (or they used to at least). MiB one is decent, as well, right by loading zone, tho a tall 5-year-old could probably ride MiB.

lebeau

Original Poster
The FJ one is actually well-themed, and they show the movies in there (or they used to at least). MiB one is decent, as well, right by loading zone, tho a tall 5-year-old could probably ride MiB.

My 5-year-old is, um, not tall. ;)

I showed the kids some ride videos this weekend. Pretty sure the 5-year-old won't ride Men In Black no matter what. She's easily scared. Ursula pretty much ruined the Little Mermaid ride for her and she loves Ariel. She still lectures me for "making" her ride it. But who knows. Given 9 months maybe she'll hit a growth spurt and find a little more courage.

I saw some pics of the child swap rooms and they were pretty cool. Cooler than what we have experienced at Disney to be sure.

lebeau

Original Poster
I'd recommend the whole group get in line for Forbidden Journey even if you all don't plan on riding. The queue is amazing and there are great photo ops for everyone. You can easily leave the queue right before getting on the ride -- just tell the ride attendant you don't want to ride when they ask "how many". I watched several people do that when I was there.

If you stay on property with early morning access, you should be able to get through the queue quickly. Usually the big decision for early morning is Forbidden Journey or Ollivanders Wand Shop. Since they are opening more Wand Shops and a whole lot more Harry Potter stuff, you might want to check back this summer to see how people recommend fighting the crowds in the morning -- running through Seuss Landing may not be the best way anymore.

Thanks. I will check back closer to the trip (if we end up going) to see how the new addition has changed things. My oldest loves gift shops more than rides and has already announced she wants a wand. So Olivanders will be a must.

willtravel

Would I be able to see all of UNI if I have either a 3 day park to park or a 3 day single park admission and stay off property the Friday after Thanksgiving thru Sunday?

71jason

Would I be able to see all of UNI if I have either a 3 day park to park or a 3 day single park admission and stay off property the Friday after Thanksgiving thru Sunday?

Should be, especially if you're willing to be there at opening. Crowds take a while to build in the morning.

DisneyDaver

You should be able to if you get there at opening each day. Also, if you want to ride HE, you will need park-to-park for that day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom