MagicBands in the UK

WDWLover#1

Original Poster
Can you get MB in the UK? I know they don't post them to you here and you'd have to pick them up from hotel, but do we get them at all or just get a plastic card with an rfid chip in? Any help would be grately appreciated :)

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Yea we went to POR last October, we picked colours out on the website and they were ready for us at check in. We where there when they were still on roll out so got cards too as aback up.

Hope this helps

Tom

Beta Return
Thank you! If anyone else has other experiences please share

I don't have the experience, but SEVERAL UK members from this site have experienced this exactly the same way. Everything is the same - it's just that they won't mail them to you. They'll be waiting at your resort at check-in.

Mouse_Trap

I don't have the experience, but SEVERAL UK members from this site have experienced this exactly the same way. Everything is the same - it's just that they won't mail them to you. They'll be waiting at your resort at check-in.

I wonder how long they stop mailing them to everyone?

It seems to me that they must be spending a huge amount of money on shipping and packaging.
Not to mention, it can hardly help the Disney environmental image.

I'm not even sure I get why they have them waiting at check-in, surely adding them to the account should be very quick and easy? Just like issuing a card under the old system.

Rob562

It seems to me that they must be spending a huge amount of money on shipping and packaging.

I'm not even sure I get why they have them waiting at check-in, surely adding them to the account should be very quick and easy? Just like issuing a card under the old system.

It's the customization process that requires them to be mailed. The front desk can only issue blanks without names inside, just like the ones sold in the shops. In order to have them printed with a name, the off-site vendor must do that and send them out, either to a US resident or to the hotel front desk for anyone else.

-Rob

Mouse_Trap

It's the customization process that requires them to be mailed. The front desk can only issue blanks without names inside, just like the ones sold in the shops. In order to have them printed with a name, the off-site vendor must do that and send them out, either to a US resident or to the hotel front desk for anyone else.

-Rob

Ah yes, I completely forgot the put peoples names on them.

Still, give it a year or two and I can see that being cut to save money. Then they will just have some white space with a removable plastic cover to write your own name.

Longers

We were there in November last year and managed to personalise them on the Disney app before going.
They were there waiting for us at check in, they are the same bands that everyone else gets they just don't post to the UK

Tom

Beta Return

Ah yes, I completely forgot the put peoples names on them.

Still, give it a year or two and I can see that being cut to save money. Then they will just have some white space with a removable plastic cover to write your own name.

Well, except that they've gone to the expense of integrating the system with DME. You now use your Magic Band to gain access to the Magical Express bus queues at the airport. I assume those without Magic Bands still get a booklet though.

Disney has struck great deals with their distribution channels, so that it costs next to nothing to print and ship them. The cost is rolled into every reservation, so no reason for them to stop doing it, especially since they would prefer to be 100% Magic Band over anything else. If restrictions on shipping RFID transmitters internationally are lifted, guests outside the US will quickly begin to receive Magic Bands in advance....I predict.

Rob562

Disney has struck great deals with their distribution channels, so that it costs next to nothing to print and ship them. The cost is rolled into every reservation, so no reason for them to stop doing it, especially since they would prefer to be 100% Magic Band over anything else. If restrictions on shipping RFID transmitters internationally are lifted, guests outside the US will quickly begin to receive Magic Bands in advance....I predict.

You hit the nail on the head with the last point. There's a lot of legal and regulatory issues that Disney would have to get through before they can ship these radio-broadcasting devices internationally. They may get permission at some point, or they may have done a cost/benefit analysis and decided that the current setup for International guests is worth it to them, especially since the only downside to those Guests is not having them at the airport for DME...

-Rob

Rob562

Ain't it strange that we can take them back to the UK though, we have all our bands in fact I think mine was still on my wrist going on the plane home

I presume what a consumer does with a piece of electronics they "bought" is entirely up to them. It's different for the manufacturer/"seller" of those electronics.

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
I presume what a consumer does with a piece of electronics they "bought" is entirely up to them. It's different for the manufacturer/"seller" of those electronics.

-Rob

And perhaps it's just that you can't ship/mail active transmitting RFID devices, but you can take them on planes.

Mickey1984

Another question from UK, how does it work if you buy your park tickets from a non Disney organisation? in the past we used to just get the tickets separately so in card format, will this still happen? or do card/paper tickets not exist anymore? or do they simply add the tickets once you get to the desk at the hotel?

Rob562

Another question from UK, how does it work if you buy your park tickets from a non Disney organisation? in the past we used to just get the tickets separately so in card format, will this still happen? or do card/paper tickets not exist anymore? or do they simply add the tickets once you get to the desk at the hotel?

You'll get "paper" tickets if you purchase them from a non-Disney source. Once you have them in-hand, you can log onto the MDE website and link them to your profiles using the serial numbers on the back. That'll open up the ability to make your FP+ reservations.

If you're staying at a Disney resort and it's also linked to your MDE profiles, the Bands you get will access the tickets automatically. If you're not at a Disney hotel, you just tap the ticket to the park entrance and FP+ posts to use. All tickets are now RFID-capable.

-Rob

Mickey1984

You'll get "paper" tickets if you purchase them from a non-Disney source. Once you have them in-hand, you can log onto the MDE website and link them to your profiles using the serial numbers on the back. That'll open up the ability to make your FP+ reservations.

If you're staying at a Disney resort and it's also linked to your MDE profiles, the Bands you get will access the tickets automatically. If you're not at a Disney hotel, you just tap the ticket to the park entrance and FP+ posts to use. All tickets are now RFID-capable.

-Rob
Great thanks :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
And perhaps it's just that you can't ship/mail active transmitting RFID devices, but you can take them on planes.
given there are RFID on pallets and freight crates, id hazard a guess its all about the folding stuff nothing else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom