I've never flown southwest before what should i know?

Weather_Lady

We fly Southwest to save money, and adding Early Bird (for my family of four, on a longish flight - $25 per person, per leg, minimum) vitiates the savings we get by flying Southwest in the first place, so we don't do it. (Not only that, but Early Bird slots are assigned based on when you purchase it, so if you don't purchase Early Bird until shortly before you travel, you could find yourself standing in line well into the B group, only a few people ahead of the non-Early Bird crowd and behind not only the A-group but all of the rewards members, families with small children, disabled guests and their families, etc. -- not much of a benefit.)

When we've flown SW, I simply "hover" at a computer exactly 24 hours out and check in immediately. This usually gets us in the late A/early B boarding group, which as long as the flight is an originating one (and not a connecting flight, which will already have people onboard), is early enough that all four of us can sit together easily. If I can't be at the computer 24 hours before we fly home (e.g., if we're at a hotel with no public computer terminals or reliable wifi), then I book the legs of our trip separately and purchase Early Bird for the return trip only.

It's a matter of personal choice, however, depending on the cost of Early Bird for your flights, the stress that SW's boarding procedures causes you, and the importance of having everyone in your party sit together and/or sit in a particular part of the aircraft.

Also, if you've only flown JetBlue in the past (my favorite!), you should know that SW does not have seat-back TVs or other in-flight entertainment. Other amenities, however, (such as the aircraft layout, seat space, and in-flight snack and beverage service) are fairly comparable, and I enjoy the purposeful, sarcastic wit of the Southwest flight attendants. If you want to find the best seats (or know which ones to avoid when you get onboard), check the "seatguru" website.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I have a 19 year old and a 15 year old. When we check in at the 24 hour marker, we always have different boarding numbers. For instance my son will be in the A group while my daughter and I have the B group. My son then just saves two seats in the first empty row of three he finds. We have never had a problem doing this.
We love flying Southwest and since we get two free bags checked in, we always take an empty one or one filled with food then use it for our souvenirs.
And you can check in on your phone for the flight back home while in the parks. No need to print boarding pass then, at the airport they will print it out for you.
Southwest now has digital boarding passes. When you check in for your flight you will have an option to have them email or text you a link. You click on the link and you get a barcode thing that TSA and gate attendant scans from your phone.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Southwest now has digital boarding passes. When you check in for your flight you will have an option to have them email or text you a link. You click on the link and you get a barcode thing that TSA and gate attendant scans from your phone.
You SHOULD also NEVER tweet about their GATE attendants. :cautious:

PolynesianPrincess

We ALWAYS fly SW. WE actually just used points for the flight to Florida in November for our cruise. I find their points are super easy to redeem. Basically you search for flights, then change the rates from dollars to points and book. No gimmicks, no limitations. If it's available to book with cash, you can book it with points. And it doesn't take a ton of points either. I feel like with Delta I was always trying to jump through hoops and they only limit each flight to a certain number of seats to be booked with points and you needed a LOT of points to book. SW is just SO much easier!

We usually don't do early bird check in on the outbound because I'm always available to check us in at the 24hour mark, but on the way home, we usuaally do it just so we don't have to worry about stopping in the middle of a park day to check in. when we went to DLR in April, we forgot to book early bird AND we forgot to check in at 24 hours out. We ended up with a C boarding group number and I was BEYOND mad about this. I knew it was my own fault though. Luckily, they were offering an upgrade to business select at the airport for $40 a person and we jumped on it. Ended up boarding within the first 15 spots of A group and got an exit row. So it was worth it to us, but I will NEVER make the mistake of not get EB check in on the return going forward.

Also love SW two free checked bags policy. We bring LOTS of stuff with us, especially when we're crusing. So we like to each check 2 bags so we have room for souvenirs on the way home.

The only thing I don't like is people who board early and then save seats for the rest of their party who is boarding after them. Sorry but if you all wanted to sit together, you should have all booked together. That really annoys me when you see what you think is an open row when you're boarding in group A or B, only to see the jacket and carry on of the woman in the row behind it guarding it for her friends boarding in group C. Saving seats is not "allowed" but I do see it frequently.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

The only thing I don't like is people who board early and then save seats for the rest of their party who is boarding after them. Sorry but if you all wanted to sit together, you should have all booked together. That really annoys me when you see what you think is an open row when you're boarding in group A or B, only to see the jacket and carry on of the woman in the row behind it guarding it for her friends boarding in group C. Saving seats is not "allowed" but I do see it frequently.

Good point - thanks for mentioning this! Such seat-saving IS both ubiquitous and annoying -- against the rules, but the flight attendants generally won't enforce it, so if you want a seat that is "saved," your only options are to relinquish your claim and move along, or else plop your tush down on the "saved" seat (the flight attendants won't ask you to move, any more than they'll tell the other person not to save seats) and endure the silent wrath of your neighbor for the rest of the flight.

*UPDATE*: When I said it was "against the rules," I was wrong! Southwest apparently allows people to seat-save with impunity, and takes a neutral stance on the issue. Buyer beware. http://gatherroundchildren.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/southwest-airlines-seat-saving-non-policy-2/

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It all depends on the flight attendant. I have seen them definitely kick preboarders out of exit rows as it's a federal rule. I think if you had someone from the A group saving a row and it's later C group you would have more luck. If there are plenty of open seats I don't think they would be as inclined to force someone to give up the saved seat.

PolynesianPrincess

It all depends on the flight attendant. I have seen them definitely kick preboarders out of exit rows as it's a federal rule. I think if you had someone from the A group saving a row and it's later C group you would have more luck. If there are plenty of open seats I don't think they would be as inclined to force someone to give up the saved seat.

Yes, I have seen them kick preboarders out of exit row seats as well. But the whole group A saving seats for group B or C is ridiculous. I checked in at 24 hours so I could have the option to have plenty of seats to choose from. I shouldn't have to skip over a good seat because it's "saved" by a group A person for a group C person. I have zero problem sitting down in a seat that's saved. Only problem is, most people now place something in the seat like a carryon or laptop so you can't actually sit down without moving their stuff. I don't want someone throwing me a right hook cause I moved their laptop! lol :rolleyes:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yes, I have seen them kick preboarders out of exit row seats as well. But the whole group A saving seats for group B or C is ridiculous. I checked in at 24 hours so I could have the option to have plenty of seats to choose from. I shouldn't have to skip over a good seat because it's "saved" by a group A person for a group C person. I have zero problem sitting down in a seat that's saved. Only problem is, most people now place something in the seat like a carryon or laptop so you can't actually sit down without moving their stuff. I don't want someone throwing me a right hook cause I moved their laptop! lol :rolleyes:
I guess thats a situation you just have to evaluate at the time. :joyfull:

Sometimes granny has a mean right hook.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom