Kong Skull Island rendering

mahnamahna101

If it did that would have helped JP.
Not a fan of Safari Jeep Rides though IMO.
Would have preferred Helicoptours, but I'm fine with the Kong ride since it's going to be an all-ages E ticket. A safari ride would be too much like JPRA and DINOSAUR. Plus Kong has giant insects, etc. which provides a fresh addition to the JP area. Kong, a family suspended coaster in place of PF (using some of TE plot), a Mr. DNA dark ride and a unique flat essentially transforms the north/northwest portion of IOA into a must-do section year round, rather than just summer.

IAmFloridaBorn

Would have preferred Helicoptours, but I'm fine with the Kong ride since it's going to be an all-ages E ticket. A safari ride would be too much like JPRA and DINOSAUR. Plus Kong has giant insects, etc. which provides a fresh addition to the JP area. Kong, a family suspended coaster in place of PF (using some of TE plot), a Mr. DNA dark ride and a unique flat essentially transforms the north/northwest portion of IOA into a must-do section year round, rather than just summer.
A Safari ride would not be like JP river adventure. People saying that have no creativity at all geez.
Theme parks clone rides or ride stories all the time, and get away with it.
Doesn't mean it was going to happen.

mahnamahna101

A Safari ride would not be like JP river adventure. People saying that have no creativity at all geez.
Both would start out with meandering through a dino habitat. Then, something goes horribly wrong. Not saying the safari would be a bad addition, but there's other options for JP than something that could potentially draw comparisons to JPRA. More of the same won't help Universal conquer the pixie dust :p

Plus Kong is pretty cool and will make a fine E-ticket next summer! Giant prehistoric insects gives IOA a fresh set of creatures to work with.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
What would it be then? Let's hear your plan for the ride.

neoshinok

Here's some old plans for a Jeep ride, scrapped before River Adventure moved forward:

J1.jpg

When Islands of Adventure opened twelve years ago some rides envisioned for the Jurassic Park Island were unfortunately cancelled. One of them was the Jeep Safari ride which would have been great as you will see on the renderings below from artist and former WDI Imagineer Scott Scherman.

The first artwork above shows a concept for the jeep vehicle of the ride. The next one below shows the jeeps entering a Jurassic Park camp before they move inside the land where the AA dinosaurs are.

J2.jpg

On the next artwork things are becoming serious as the jeeps would have gone right under a giant Brontosaur. These artworks are unfortunately in low-res but if you enlarge them you can see that others animals would have appear like a long Apatosaur neck, from the lagoon. Before moving under the Brontosaur the jeep would have enter the land through the famous Jurassic Park gates and moving under a kind of giant net where probably others effects or animals would have await the guests.

J3.jpg

On this last artwork - which was not the last part of the ride - you can see clearly a jeep being attacked by what seems to be Velociraptors. The arrows on the drawing indicate for sure other kind of effects and i wish i could tell which one, if i only knew... What i know is that others renderings exist and that in another scene a T-Rex would have "stepped on" the guests jeep and spun it in a way similar to the scene in the movie!

J4.jpg

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/10/islands-of-adventure-jurassic-park-jeep.html

Mike S

Here's some old plans for a Jeep ride, scrapped before River Adventure moved forward:

J1.jpg

When Islands of Adventure opened twelve years ago some rides envisioned for the Jurassic Park Island were unfortunately cancelled. One of them was the Jeep Safari ride which would have been great as you will see on the renderings below from artist and former WDI Imagineer Scott Scherman.

The first artwork above shows a concept for the jeep vehicle of the ride. The next one below shows the jeeps entering a Jurassic Park camp before they move inside the land where the AA dinosaurs are.

J2.jpg

On the next artwork things are becoming serious as the jeeps would have gone right under a giant Brontosaur. These artworks are unfortunately in low-res but if you enlarge them you can see that others animals would have appear like a long Apatosaur neck, from the lagoon. Before moving under the Brontosaur the jeep would have enter the land through the famous Jurassic Park gates and moving under a kind of giant net where probably others effects or animals would have await the guests.

J3.jpg

On this last artwork - which was not the last part of the ride - you can see clearly a jeep being attacked by what seems to be Velociraptors. The arrows on the drawing indicate for sure other kind of effects and i wish i could tell which one, if i only knew... What i know is that others renderings exist and that in another scene a T-Rex would have "stepped on" the guests jeep and spun it in a way similar to the scene in the movie!

J4.jpg

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/10/islands-of-adventure-jurassic-park-jeep.html
Great concept but there is just one thing. I know you probably just copied and pasted this but Brontosaurus doesn't exist. It was a mistake when they put the wrong skull on an Apatosaurus skeleton and thought it was a new Dinosaur :facepalm: It's most likely Brachiosaurus. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Last edited:

Anders Limpar

Nope still next year until one of the trusted insiders say otherwise. It's amazing though isn't it? Universal in a way can market this ride twice. Once when it opens because it's brand new then another time when the movie comes out basically saying "did you enjoy the movie? Come experience the ride we opened last year if you haven't already"!!! Obviously an ad wouldn't use those exact words but you get my point. Disney could potentially do the same with Pandora if the Avatar sequels are successful by continually advertising it as the movies come out.

If Disney had any foresight they could have done the same with Star Wars Land. Well, I guess with how slow the company moves nowadays if right after the sale they got moving on a land at DHS said land might be opening in time for next December. But they could at least use the opening of the subsequent films to re-promote the new land.

Anders Limpar

It seems very much like JPRA was an attempt to compete with Splash Mountain. The ride felt fake and lame because there was no river cruise tour in the first JP movie. A jeep ride would have resonated much more with me and I would have to think audiences as well because that is what actually happened in the movie.

Tony Perkis

It seems very much like JPRA was an attempt to compete with Splash Mountain. The ride felt fake and lame because there was no river cruise tour in the first JP movie. A jeep ride would have resonated much more with me and I would have to think audiences as well because that is what actually happened in the movie.
Wait, are we actually implying that JPRA isn't a resounding success at Universal?

Anders Limpar

Wait, are we actually implying that JPRA isn't a resounding success at Universal?

No, I'm saying I personally feel disappointed in the ride because it doesn't capture something from the movie. Also, I feel like a ride that actually replicated an experience directly from the movie would have been a much more resounding success. But of course, there is no way of knowing that.

Mike S

The river ride is based on a scene in the book. A river ride was also teased in the background of the first movie as an attraction "coming soon" after the Jeep tour that would open with the park.

Anders Limpar

The river ride is based on a scene in the book. A river ride was also teased in the background of the first movie as an attraction "coming soon" after the Jeep tour that would open with the park.

Right, but that's not exactly the same as having the scene where the T-rex attacks the jeeps being one of the most iconic scenes in the history of film.

Knothead

Great concept but there is just one thing. I know you probably just copied and pasted this but Brontosaurs doesn't exist. It was a mistake when they put the wrong skull on an Apatosaurus skeleton and thought it was a new Dinosaur :facepalm: It's most likely Brachiosaurus. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

While we're splitting hairs, the vehicles in the first JP movie were actually Ford Explorers. Pet peeve of mine. The rangers in the park used Jeep Wranglers, but the tour vehicles were first generation Explorers.

Timekeeper

Both would start out with meandering through a dino habitat. Then, something goes horribly wrong. Not saying the safari would be a bad addition, but there's other options for JP than something that could potentially draw comparisons to JPRA. More of the same won't help Universal conquer the pixie dust :p

"Then, something goes horribly wrong." That's the storyline for many, many attractions at UOR, WDW, and theme parks around the world. Just pick a random attraction, and see if it applies.

Everest? Something goes horribly wrong. Tower of Terror? Something goes horribly wrong. Escape from Gringotts? Jaws? Mummy? Stitch? Big Thunder? Forbidden Journey? Mission Space? Spiderman? Dinosaur? Trasnformers? Star Tours?

Something always goes horribly wrong.

Meg? Well, you get the idea.

mahnamahna101

"Then, something goes horribly wrong." That's the storyline for many, many attractions at UOR, WDW, and theme parks around the world. Just pick a random attraction, and see if it applies.

Everest? Something goes horribly wrong. Tower of Terror? Something goes horribly wrong. Escape from Gringotts? Jaws? Mummy? Stitch? Big Thunder? Forbidden Journey? Mission Space? Spiderman? Dinosaur? Trasnformers? Star Tours?

Something always goes horribly wrong.

Meg? Well, you get the idea.
The difference is that the thing that goes horribly wrong in all of those attractions isn't similar to one another. There's also plenty of attractions where nothing goes wrong (D and E tickets) -

1. Soarin'
  2. Test Track (high speed test isn't a malfunction)
  3. Spaceship Earth
  4. Haunted Mansion (you're just touring a haunted mansion you conveniently can't escape :p)
  5. It's a Small World
  6. Peter Pan's Flight
  7. E.T. Adventure
  8. Rock n' Roller Coaster
  9. RSR
  10. California Screamin'
  11. Grizzly River Run (pretty sure?)
  12. Disaster (technically since you're making a movie and the "stuff that goes horribly wrong" is part of an action sequence you're filming)
  13. Cat in the Hat
  14. Pooh's Hunny Hunt
  15. Sinbad's Storybook Voyage
  16. Jungle Cruise
  17. Dueling Dragons (you knew going in the dragons were going to duel so nothing unexpected or horribly wrong happens)
  18. Kilimanjaro Safari
  19. Kali River Rapids
  20. The Great Movie Ride
  21. Toy Story Midway Mania (as much as I hate to admit, it's a major attraction where nothing goes wrong)
  22. Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek
  23. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
  24. Space Mountain (unless travelling through space in a rocket=something horrible going wrong)
  25. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (seems like a fast-paced tour of the mine - nothing more or less)
  26. PeopleMover
  27. Hogwarts Express (seems like a primarily leisure trip between the two lands)
But I do agree that "something goes horribly wrong" is a pretty common plot device for most high-speed/E ticket theme park attractions. The difference is that the JP jeep safari and river adventure would be extremely similar - unless the two were interlocking and shared the same space, it wouldn't make sense to have both. They both tell a similar story of "tour of peaceful dino habitats, then attack by carnivorous dino". I don't mind the device, but there should be a different setting/characters, etc if you're going to use it more than once in a single area. Helicoptours would make sense because the aerial perspective of JP hasn't been truly shown in any of the JP attractions (PF is only accessible to kids for the most part)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom