Polynesian during pool refurb. - is it worth the $?

JBravo1977

We make an annual trip to WDW and have stayed at the values, CBR, and AKL. I've always wanted to stay at a "monorail" resort and we will have the opportunity in October, and have booked a room at the Poly. To stay at Poly is pretty expensive and the big pool will be closed. We could not get a view room as they were all booked. I didn't want to stay at Contemporary because it just seems so devoid of theme, GF is way too expensive, and everybody raves about Poly.

Other than the monorail (and pool and view), what's the big deal about staying here?

odmichael

Tough to say. I've never stayed there. But I've went to the Spirit of Aloha dinner show. That is spectacular but pricey. I mean if I were going to a Luxury Resort I wouldn't want to hear construction going on in the background. That would be a huge factor. I'd probably want to use the pool too.

Overall, for the price you pay to go there, I would probably want to use the resort. If you're just going to go to the parks and stuff, I wouldn't even stay in a delux resort because you'll never even be enjoying the resort. If you are trying to use the resort, I would probably choose a different one - simply because it wouldn't be the same. But that's just me. You can still take the monorail over to the hotel anytime you want and use all of their available ammenities.

A great alternative is the coronado springs resort. But then you'd have to drive/take buses to the parks. It's really a preferance thing.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

I love this resort. I'm sure I will love it after the refurb, which it certainly needed and I'm sure I will wax nostalgic about the Old POLY and miss certain features that are being eliminated.
The resort has nice size rooms, easy to walk to all the amenities, it's on the monorail, the feature pool was nice though small and the food options fantastic. Fantastic 70's island vibe...
Hopefully the refurb will enhance and update that vibe without losing it totally.
As much as I love this resort, I would not stay here until the construction is completed.
But that's me. I get annoyed easily at inconvenience.

Upvote 0

BrianV

I second what everyone else seems to be saying. For the price, you want the cool pool (from which you can see nightly wishes fireworks) and the great theming and the quiet and the location. All you get now is the location. The location is great, best in disney. But not worth it during construction in my mind. I'd choose contemporary over poly at least for now.

I'd recommend the wilderness lodge, but they are doing pool rehab this fall too.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Yah, if you are returning to WDW and it's before the refurb/dvc buildout is completed at the POLY I wouldn't recommend booking here. Do I think the POLY is an awesome deluxe resort unique and special and beautiful even when it was a bit tattered and worn around the edges? Absolutely a resort worth visiting and staying.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom