Trouble With a Trip Plan

pizzawanabe

Background- I am a first time poster. (Kinda Nervous)My family is going to Orlando from Dec. 22 to Dec. 30. This is our first time going to Disneyworld/Universal Orlando and we are staying offsite at a house 5 minutes away. We live next to Disneyland in California and have an annual pass to Disneyland and Universal Studios. I am the youngest kid in my family (only 13) and I am basically the planner of the trip. Being the so called "Too Obsessive Disney Fan", I am left to coordinate the things we do at Disneyworld.

Question- With that being said, I need a way to work out this hectic Christmas week. Our family wants to Universal and IOA while we are their. Is their any way to fully experience both theme parks in 2 days or less? We also want to do all of The four Disney theme parks but don't know where to start. We are pretty set on getting 9 day park tickets so we can do disney everyday. On the days when we go to IOA and Universal, we want to finish the parks and go to Disney right after to get the fullest time their. We arrive at 5:30 and depart at 6:30 so we have half days on those days. Please help us coordinate this trip so we can build some structure to our trip. Thank you so much for helping my family out.~ pizzawanabe

WDWLover#1

You can definitely experience each park in one day but with christmas crowds it could be hectic. I recommend getting there an hour before park opens for all of the parks. For universal parks as soon as you get there go to the ticket place and get the express pass. It's costly but acts like disneys fastpass getting you to the front of the line on every ride apart from rip ride rocket and the harry potter rides. I'd also recommend booking dinner and fastpass + reservations now or as soon as the 180 day window pops up. There are some great threads on this forum giving suggestions about dining suggestions. Also I'd think you'd better pick up a copy of the unnoficial guide to disney world 2014. It gives touring plans and detailed information about disney and uni. The plans cut 4 hours of waiting and are brilliant-they work to perfection. Other than that look up topics on these forums, search the internet and basically do as much planning as possible, from anywhere. The more planning, the easier it will be to cope with the crowds. Have a magical time!

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

You can buy Universal Express Pass before you even go. Sometimes it's cheaper online than when you arrive (the last time we went, the price had doubled day-of compared to what was offered online).

I'm not entirely sure you need the extra days of WDW tickets for the days you are going to Universal. It's worth staying at those parks into the evening, especially with the Harry Potter lands (where you will wait in line for both Forbidden Journey and Gringotts even with the Express Pass, so get there first!). And there are a lot of rides in those two parks to cram into a day each.

You are already past the 180-day mark, so you'll have to take what you can get if interested in dining. As for WDW, use FP+ to your advantage. I'd plan for at least 2 full days at MK, 2 at Epcot, 1/each at DAK and DHS.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You can buy Universal Express Pass before you even go. Sometimes it's cheaper online than when you arrive (the last time we went, the price had doubled day-of compared to what was offered online).

I'm not entirely sure you need the extra days of WDW tickets for the days you are going to Universal. It's worth staying at those parks into the evening, especially with the Harry Potter lands (where you will wait in line for both Forbidden Journey and Gringotts even with the Express Pass, so get there first!). And there are a lot of rides in those two parks to cram into a day each.

You are already past the 180-day mark, so you'll have to take what you can get if interested in dining. As for WDW, use FP+ to your advantage. I'd plan for at least 2 full days at MK, 2 at Epcot, 1/each at DAK and DHS.

However, note that the Uni Express Pass is not good for any of the Harry Potter rides.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

My only concern about you hitting Disney Parks after Universal is sometimes they hit capacity and close, so you may not always get in. Crowds are predicted to be 10/10 that entire time you are there. So expect long lines.
Also, because of those lines, I think you may spend all day at Universal trying to ride everything.
I think you will be exhausted but if this is a once in a lifetime trip go for it.
Definitely book reservations if you plan on eating in the parks. Reservations have already opened up for December so I'm not sure what will be left. Also start planning your fast passes.

Definitely grab express pass for Universal if you are set on doing disney later in the day, but it will cost about $90 - $100 per ticket to add. Very Expensive.

Upvote 0

CheshireCat12

If you have 9 days, spend 7 of them at WDW parks- 2 for MK, 2 Epcot, and 1 each for AK/DHS, with one day for returning to a favorite park or do a water park if it's warm out. Spend two days at Universal- if you can fork out the money for the very expensive Express Pass I would get it, as it will be beneficial but don't plan on doing EVERYTHING because the crowds will be unbelievable. Focus on your must-do list.
Don't get 9 day tickets for WDW because you will not have time to do what you want at UNI and return to WDW in the same day- it's not worthwhile and you have to remember that transit between parks takes time (estimate 1 hr).

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We learned to open the parks during Christmas staying away from the park that has Morning EMHs. When doing Epcot and the MK we hit these up early morning or late night and fill in the DHS with FPs. FP+ or Special dining package recommended for Fantasmic. We hit AK when the MK gets crowded going around 230 or 3pm and staying to close and then double back to Epcot or MK. You can pretty well walk onto many AK attractions late in the day. Late late hours at the MK tend to good times to pick up a great deal of rides.

I'd get park hopper tickets for 7 days over 9 and Express Pass at the Uni parks. There is plenty to do morning till night if you are only spending 2 days at their parks.

Upvote 0

mweier

you can definitely do Universal in 1 park per day; however if you're really into Harry Potter, you'll need a 2-park pass for that day if you want to do the Hogwart's Express. 1 day for all HP stuff, and the other for the rest of Universal seems about right, but as others have said, I think you'll find it difficult to hit Disney parks after Universal on those days, from both a "can we even get in" point of view as well as a "do we have the energy?". Without EMH, you can still stay fairly late but it's going to be exhausting.

Make sure you leave some gaps for resting in the afternoons during peak crowds.

I'd also recommend signing up for a touringplans.com account to see what gaps you can find in the crazy lines to take advantage of. It's going to be about the busiest it gets all year while you're there.

Upvote 0

Wikkler

Well, it's probably a good idea to get accustomed to the hotel on the first day, and pack on the last day, so you won't be doing anything on those days. That leaves 7 full days. You should probably take a break day. The 24th or the 25th will probably be good, for obvious reasons.
2414002070_18fd84ea3d_o.jpg

You might want to reschedule a week earlier/later.

That leaves 6 park days. There are 6 parks you want to go to. Done. You might want to buy park hopper tickets for Disney. If you don't find enough to do at Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, or Epcot, you don't have to spend all of the day there. You can do a half day at your undesired park and then spend the rest of the day at another at Disney.

Upvote 0

hanwill

Having been to both parks, I would recommend wearing comfortable shoes and plan on walking about twice as much as you do at Disneyland... Everything at WDW is VERY spread out compared to Disneyland... its just built for larger crowds. Have fun! It will be very very crowded (think shoulder to shoulder people everywhere you go)... but plan your dining and your fast passes ahead of time, and reserve those as soon as possible, and you will be fine...

Upvote 0

pizzawanabe

Original Poster

For the day that we go to Universal Studios, we plan to ride the attractions that are not in Universal Studios California to save some time. If we finish the park early we can go to MK or Epcot for the evening.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I agree with those that suggested you not plan on visiting WDW on your Universal days - there's too much to do at US and IoA. I agree with buying the Uni Express pass for that time of year (I'd recommend a 2 day, 2 park pass so you can do the Hogwarts Express if that interests you - perhaps consider staying on site at Uni for 1 night to get the express pass for free for the day you check in and the next day). I also recommend that you get to the parks before rope drop every day to get the most attractions done before the parks hit full crowd level. Make sure you don't miss the Osborne Lights at DHS. And try to check out the Chocolate Carousel at Beach Club and the lifesize gingerbread house at Grand Floridian (perhaps plan meals at those resorts to maximize your time).

Upvote 0

pizzawanabe

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your replies! This really helps my family and I to do everything we want! I agree with your replies and I will consider to just go to Universal/IOA those days and rest instead of going to Disney.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Well, it's probably a good idea to get accustomed to the hotel on the first day, and pack on the last day, so you won't be doing anything on those days. That leaves 7 full days. You should probably take a break day. The 24th or the 25th will probably be good, for obvious reasons.
2414002070_18fd84ea3d_o.jpg

You might want to reschedule a week earlier/later.

That leaves 6 park days. There are 6 parks you want to go to. Done. You might want to buy park hopper tickets for Disney. If you don't find enough to do at Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, or Epcot, you don't have to spend all of the day there. You can do a half day at your undesired park and then spend the rest of the day at another at Disney.

I've been taking my kids to WDW for 26 years now. We always go into the parks when we arrive. I would not waste a day getting to know a resort they are not that complicated. In their case they are renting a house, can get the lay of the land in a few minutes. We pack late at night the night before we check out, take our luggage down to Bell Services first thing in the morning along with our carry ons. They check us into our flight, give us our boarding passes and a receipt for our carry ons, I give them a nice tip and we have at least 8 hours in the park. It may be just me but I would not forfiet two days to get to know a hotel or to pack up a room, that would be depressing.

Upvote 0

pizzawanabe

Original Poster
For Christmas Day, which Disney park would fit in for the least crowded out of the four. I was thinking Animal Kingdom would be a good fit for this day but I am not totally positive with this desicion

Upvote 0

pizzawanabe

Original Poster
Crowd recommendations say:

Monday, 12/22: AK or Epcot
Tuesday: HS or MK
Wed: AK or HS
Thursday: AK or HS
Friday: Epcot, HS, or MK
Saturday: Epcot or MK
Sunday: Epcot, HS, or MK
Monday: Epcot, HS, or MK
Tuesday: Epcot, HS

So - Monday you're travelling. Are you arriving at 5:30 pm? I think that is what you said. If you doing your nine day pass - go to Epcot.
Tuesday: Magic Kingdom
Wednesday: Animal Kingdom
Thursday: I'm betting this is a good Universal day - Christmas day is likely a bit lighter there. Your other option would be AK.
Friday: Other Universal park. The 26th is very heavy on disney as well.
Saturday: Epcot
Sunday: MK
Monday: HS
Tuesday: Epcot, travel.
Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0

Dafid Duck

I've never used tripadvisor.com, but it seems to me like a redicuous idea to go to the Magic Kingdom the weekend after Christmas! The crowd levels tend to close the park from Christmas day through to New Year's Day.

For Christmas day we enjoy going to EPCOT for all of the Christmas around the world story tellers. I would not get anywhere near the Magic Kingdom on Christmas day if you can plan around it. If you feel you need to, get there early and leave early.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Can anyone help me with choosing which park should I go to on each day from Dec22-30

If there is a park that has late Extra Magic Hours on the day you arrive, you may want to consider it to maximize your park time. Same goes for early EMH on the day you leave. Others disagree, but we always go to whatever park has early EMH because if you arrive before rope drop, you can get so much done in the first 2-3 hours, and then you can hop to another less corwded park.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom