Help! Dining Dilemma for Girls' Trip

Blueskyze

I need a little help! I have a trip planned for ToT weekend in October, along with 4 friends. They are all relative newbies and I want to show them an amazing weekend. At the 180-day mark, I booked dinner for our first night at 'Ohana. I was thinking it would be a fun, relaxing dinner (with yummy drinks) after a day at MK. However, now with the menu changes, I'm not sure I want to go there. We are already booked at Via Napoli for the following night, and I'm having trouble thinking of places for a really awesome first-night, "welcome to Disney" dinner. Any suggestions?

PrincessNelly_NJ

We are having the same dilemma for our Girls trip in October!
We had book 'Ohana for our first night, after reading the negative reviews, I cancelled it but then snagged another one for our MK day.

My sisters have never been so I really want them to enjoy it. I can't decide if 'Ohana is worth keeping either.

We normally always started with a signature meal in the MK area then go enjoy the parade and fireworks after.

If signature isn't what you want, I would say maybe... Boma, Sanaa, or anywhere in DTD (Bongos is amazing on Friday & Saturday nights: live music, outdoor seating, and great drinks. They switch to a DJ at Midnight and it turns into a "mini-nightclub."

Upvote 0

Tinkerfan4ever

If you plan on being at the Magic Kingdom that day... what about Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge? When my parents and inlaws went with us to Disney, they both came back saying that was their favorite meal of the entire trip. They really liked the food and had a lot of fun with the atmosphere there.

Upvote 0

tlev

I don't understand all of the Ohana negativity. I love that place regardless of if they have chicken skewers or not. I mean they still have wings after all as well as steak and the best shrimp I've ever had in my life!!! I took my mom for the first time in March and she loved it. It's now her favorite Disney restaurant. I'm taking a group of friends there on our first night of our trip in October. I know they are going to love it, too. I'm sure your friends will also enjoy it. It's a neat place, great atmosphere, and delicious food.

Upvote 0

Blueskyze

Original Poster
If signature isn't what you want, I would say maybe... Boma, Sanaa, or anywhere in DTD (Bongos is amazing on Friday & Saturday nights: live music, outdoor seating, and great drinks. They switch to a DJ at Midnight and it turns into a "mini-nightclub."

Downtown Disney could be fun! I've never tried Bongos, but sounds like a good time. We have one pretty picky eater, so I'm not sure she'd be up for Boma or Sanaa. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you plan on being at the Magic Kingdom that day... what about Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge? When my parents and inlaws went with us to Disney, they both came back saying that was their favorite meal of the entire trip. They really liked the food and had a lot of fun with the atmosphere there.
I hadn't thought of Whispering Canyon! I'll have to check out the menu. Thanks!

I don't understand all of the Ohana negativity. I love that place regardless of if they have chicken skewers or not. I mean they still have wings after all as well as steak and the best shrimp I've ever had in my life!!! I took my mom for the first time in March and she loved it. It's now her favorite Disney restaurant. I'm taking a group of friends there on our first night of our trip in October. I know they are going to love it, too. I'm sure your friends will also enjoy it. It's a neat place, great atmosphere, and delicious food.
I have eaten there once, and loved it. But the chicken was the only meat that I would eat - I'm not a big shrimp or beef fan. I LOVED the potstickers and dessert, though, and I was completely stuffed when we left. I haven't canceled my reservation yet, just trying to figure out if there is some place that might be better for a fun, relaxing long dinner for a group of girls catching up.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

'Ohana was always one of my favs, hands down. Will I miss the chicken? You betcha LOL, and as of right now, you have to ask for the salad. I came THISCLOSE to cancelling, but didn't. I can always fill up on the sides and dessert! :) One restaurant thats alot of fun, good food and awesome drinks is Raglan Road in DTD.

Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

Something that wasn't mentioned is the construction going on at the Poly - if that matters to you. It shouldn't affect a meal at 'Ohana, but the Poly lobby atmosphere would not be what it's known for during your trip dates, and you mentioned you would have some relative newbies with you. We have always enjoyed Kona Cafe but it would have even more view of the lobby construction walls. If you are interested in going to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner your first night, maybe Artist Point is worth checking out? we haven't eaten there but it seems to get good reviews & the WL atmosphere is wonderful (in my opinion).

Upvote 0

Blueskyze

Original Poster
Something that wasn't mentioned is the construction going on at the Poly - if that matters to you. It shouldn't affect a meal at 'Ohana, but the Poly lobby atmosphere would not be what it's known for during your trip dates, and you mentioned you would have some relative newbies with you. We have always enjoyed Kona Cafe but it would have even more view of the lobby construction walls. If you are interested in going to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner your first night, maybe Artist Point is worth checking out? we haven't eaten there but it seems to get good reviews & the WL atmosphere is wonderful (in my opinion).
Argh! I forgot about the construction at the Poly...thanks for the reminder! We had quite a long wait the last time I was there (even being early for our ADR), but I enjoyed hanging out in the lobby.

Why not do CRT???? What could be better on a first night and to instill the "magic" that is Disney than eating inside THE CASTLE!
Very true! I actually hadn't considered it, just b/c one of my friends isn't very "magical" and I could see her not being into the characters. But I think everyone else would really love it, and maybe some pixie dust would rub off on her. :) Doesn't look like it's available right now, but maybe I'll get lucky before October.

Where are ya'll staying? Did you want to keep the restaurant near MK since you are spending the day there?
Staying at POR. Probably don't want to eat at a resort that's TOO far away. I'm familiar with navigating the bus system, but I'd like to keep it fairly simple for this trip.

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

Staying at POR. Probably don't want to eat at a resort that's TOO far away. I'm familiar with navigating the bus system, but I'd like to keep it fairly simple for this trip.

Well it sounds to me that your best bet would be to either stay by the park or head to DTD and since you have a picky eatter may I suggest:

MK area - Artist Point (WL), Wave (CR)

DTD - Raglan Road, Rainforest Cafe via Lava Lounge

Other - BlueZoo (Dolphin), La Luce (Hilton Bonnet Creek), Maya Grill (CSR), Turf Club (SSR)

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Ahhh.. Flying Fish and their amazing bread... and yes Ohana, even without chicken (sob:cry:) the sides are amazing and I second the place has excellent grilled shrimp.
What is disney without character dining? At least one. Akershus or CRT for the princesses or 1900 Park Fare because the wicked stepmom and sisters are a riot. Or Chef Mickey for the fab 5. Personally Cape May is my favorite breakfast buffet with characters. Best gravy, best french toast....
Boma, Jiko or Sanaa at AKL is a must.
And lunch at BOG or else dinner. In the library, it's so relaxing in that room. The rose room is cool but the library is just great atmosphere and comfortable seating.
Chef de France for lunch, the burger is wonderful.
Love the create your salad for lunch at Fresh Mediterranean too. And they also have an awesome breakfast buffet over at the Dolphin.
Finally I love Mama Melrose....

Upvote 0

dazzle_em55

My vote is for 1900 Park Fare. My mom and I have been several times and get a kick out of the stepsisters. The food is pretty good too. You also get to explore the GF

Upvote 0

Ariel1986

'Ohana was always one of my favs, hands down. Will I miss the chicken? You betcha LOL, and as of right now, you have to ask for the salad. I came THISCLOSE to cancelling, but didn't. I can always fill up on the sides and dessert! :) One restaurant thats alot of fun, good food and awesome drinks is Raglan Road in DTD.

Is this a recent thing, the asking for the salad? We didn't have to at the end of May?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom