The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
We had an East Side Mario's near me years ago. I don't remember much about it really except that it had a Statue of Liberty holding a tomato on the sign. I think it turned into a Pizza Hut at least 10 or 15 years ago.

Pizza Hut bought them and didn't know what to do with them and I thought they were dead.

But, a fellow MAGICal member, has told me that there is one (maybe more?) in SoCal and apparently many in Canada where the founders were from (they now have the rights back from Yum Brands, Pizza Hut's parent company).

We had them in SoFla before anyone ... and I drove by my local one today, which has likely been closed for 15 years now. It became a few different things and has been an Argentinian place for at least a decade now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Does that place have aprking?

You park at the Hilton. Benihana will validate so the parking is free. Or you can park across the street at the mess that is Disney's Lifestyle center and walk and that parking is free.

The food isn't. But with express lunches staring under $10, it isn't exactly Disney pricing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Okay. Fine. I really dont care; DC & Marvel's track record since the start of the Iron Man films & the Nolan Batman trilogy speaks for themselves.

I'll take Nolan's films (even if the last one was a mess in places) over ANY Marvel film.

They were serious and dark and felt real (much like the Batman comics since Frank Miller's work). Marvel films largely have a sorta goofy (no pun intended) undertone and I can't really compare it to anything, but in some ways it feels like the Roger Moore 007/Bond pics. Probably will have a better analogy when I am awake.

WDW1974

Original Poster
wait...
there is benihanas on disney property?

Yes. DD Hilton. It has been there since the hotel opened in 1983. You expect Disney to advertise this? There are many (and used to be many other) great dining options at the DD hotels. TWDC does not want you dining there.

There's also a newer Benihana that opened maybe 3-4 years ago, on I-Drive not that far from the LBV Premium Outlets. My 'grandchildren' took me there when I was in O-Town recently.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There are more 'drone' journalists out than one would realize lol. Even ESPN is filled with agenda biased reporters and it's a sports channel.

Absolutely.

But I'll still take my chances with a real reporter who works for a legit news service, even ESPN, over paid BRAND advocates that shill for their free lunches like Disney's Lifestyler Brigade and Gary Buchanan's Bevy of Beautiful Mommy Bloggers.

PhotoDave219

I'll take Nolan's films (even if the last one was a mess in places) over ANY Marvel film.

They were serious and dark and felt real (much like the Batman comics since Frank Miller's work). Marvel films largely have a sorta goofy (no pun intended) undertone and I can't really compare it to anything, but in some ways it feels like the Roger Moore 007/Bond pics. Probably will have a better analogy when I am awake.

I think that's apples and oranges between the material. The no one phones were as close to how I feel Batman should be shown & portrayed. Phenomenal work and really set the stage for the resurgence and popularity of comic based material shown & taken seriously.

I agree… The Marvel films have a goofy feel to them. They are nowhere near as brooding. There's some lighthearted comedy within them but they are still infinitely better than the Superman films in the past 10 years. I generally view them more as popcorn films to be enjoyed by the masses.

How "the dark Knight" was not nominated for best picture, I still have no idea. Phenomenal cinematic masterpiece, in my opinion.

As for Frank Miller? The new Sin City comes out later this month… i'm just disappointed that Clive Owen will not be returning in his original role of Dwight.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seriously. Benihanas is overpriced compared with Kobe's. If you're in the Orlando area I highly suggest it.

I've done Kobe, but not in years.

I don't find Benihana pricey at all, although it can be. For lunch, it is downright cheap. You'll spend less for a meal there ... a real meal then you will for quick serve at the place that destroyed my once beloved Yakitori House.

Oh, and those Baby Blue Ocean drinks (fitting for me, doncha think?) ... those are just the thing to put the Spirit in a relaxed state of mind.

Nemo14

Have you ever been?

Yosemite is my favorite place on the planet. It is simply amazing and brings out a peace in me that very few places (and certainly not WDW!) do. Since I stopped living on the left coast part time, I don't get there nearly as much as I'd like. Just a wonderful, awe-inspiring place. GO!!!

I've been once - long before I even met DH and I loved it. I'm a big fan of the National Parks, especially in the Southwest, and we've always said that once we were both retired we'd take the time to explore more of them. Yosemite is high on our list, as is Denali and Glacier Bay, but Alaska might have to wait another year or two.

Now back to whatever the subject at hand was...

BrianLo

I don't know. I do know that I find most Marvel films to be dreadfully overrated with a self-serving smugness about them. Part of that is the whole ''we'll make 43 films that are all somehow connected and then, if we haven't totally oversaturated the market, we'll start all over again'' deal ...

That's very fair, but you've just described comic books in general. Marvel is just doing what they've always done. Just when it reaches the sheer point of convoluted madness they reboot the series. The formula, for better or worse, is now just being applied to movies. Despite what I would have thought years ago, the public (so far) seems to actually be embracing it.

They definitely also have a bit of a goofy self-awareness to them (clearly not for everyone). DC movies take themselves very seriously. In Batman's case it worked brilliantly, Superman on the other hand was a train wreck tonally because of that decision.

At least you can't be accused of loving the brand for brand sake!

I also don't see Pixar struggling with its identity at all. It's put out a few films that weren't as amazing as the ones they put out from 1995-2010 and suddenly they're struggling?

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoyed their recent offerings and have every faith still in the studio. Maybe "regrouping" is the more appropriate term.

Less to do with the past few releases and more to do with closing down the Vancouver studio (which I had the pleasure of visiting) and delaying The Good Dinosaur.

Last edited:

BrianLo

But, a fellow MAGICal member, has told me that there is one (maybe more?) in SoCal and apparently many in Canada where the founders were from (they now have the rights back from Yum Brands, Pizza Hut's parent company).

Yup, it's certainly one of the "staple" chain restaurants in Ontario. We have a few different Canadian Mega-companies with boxed restaurants. Generally speaking I find the Canadian brands a step or two above the equivalent American ones. East Side's though is on the lower end (it's an Olive Garden equivalent and we largely don't have many of those left). Kind of mediocre entrees but basically everyone just eats the unlimited bread and salad and takes their pasta home.

There's been lots of chains that have tried to break the border and retreated (in both directions). Sam's Club is out, Blockbuster was gutted completely in Canada to try and salvage their American market, Outback Steakhouse didn't really live up to our more upscale The Keg chain or mid-tier Montanna's. I also noticed we hardly have Burger King's left compared to how prominent it is in most other countries worldwide.

If anyone ever makes it North of the border and feels the need to try our chains, I'd recommend Jack Astors or Boston Pizza personally, with the Keg for expensive upscale occaisions.

Lots of great non-chains too... but this is a Spirited food thread!

Kuzcotopia

Marvel is Disney now.

When the Mouse owns you, the Mouse controls you.

The idea that Disney lets these divisions do what they want? Well, they thought that from Bristol to Emeryville and it just doesn't work that way. You become part of the machine ... so long as you keep an ever-growing line of profits, they'll give you some pseudo independence but not too much.

I agree. But so far, I was referring to creative control. I love The Dark Knight as well, and I think Nolan did something very special with that movie. Unfortunately, IMO, he's only stuck the landing that one time. His first film in that trilogy was simply dull, and the third one should have gone 60s camp to match its nonsensical plot. The dark, reality grounded Frank Miller tone, established in all comics by the early 90s is effective. . . but like professional wresting before it went dark and brooding, there was something special about 4 color heroes that kept their humor and sense of silliness.

The Marvel movies are doing something that's never been done before. I can't speak to their level of smugness exactly, but I appreciate the creative feat of juggling that many balls in the air, and consistently produce products that work critically and commercially. But that's personal preference, and not everyone is going to enjoy it the way I have. I thought Thor 2 was rather stupid, the second half of Incredible Hulk did not work, and Iron Man 2 was too busy and unfocused, but other than that, it's been an amazing run. Bringing in the whole Thanos plotline is a crazy, marvelous risk.

But back to the main point: it's all coming from a creative place, not from a board meeting filled with suits.

Now if we look at other future comic book franchises that ARE obviously being created and designed by committee, we have to look to future DC movies meant to lead to a Justice League movie, as well as a Sinister Six movie with the Spiderman franchise, a reboot of FF4 (not a typo - ask me what the first "F" stands for), and the X-Men tie ins with the 70s prequels and today. They are obviously trying to imitate the success, and cash in, on the Marvel movies. I am very skeptical going forward about all of them. I hope to be wrong.

ravenswood

Have you ever been?

Yosemite is my favorite place on the planet. It is simply amazing and brings out a peace in me that very few places (and certainly not WDW!) do. Since I stopped living on the left coast part time, I don't get there nearly as much as I'd like. Just a wonderful, awe-inspiring place. GO!!!
have you ever been to Yellowstone?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Absolutely.

But I'll still take my chances with a real reporter who works for a legit news service, even ESPN, over paid BRAND advocates that shill for their free lunches like Disney's Lifestyler Brigade and Gary Buchanan's Bevy of Beautiful Mommy Bloggers.

Agreed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom