Chicken - 'oh no 'Ohana

TheMouseFan

Mousesteps had reported that they no longer give out salad, you have to ask for it... :confused:
I looked at the menu on the Disney site last week and it had the lettuce wraps instead of the mixed greens. But I just looked again tonight and the mixed greens are back on the menu. So who knows what they are doing! I also noticed they say the noodles are tossed in teriyaki sauce with fresh vegetables when they used to be tossed in peanut sauce with pineapple. I am very curious what our meal is going to be like in October!! My husband wanted to go specifically for the noodles and the bread pudding. He is going to be very disappointed if the noodles are different too!

Lexie

The only reason I have kept it was because I needed a meal around MK and Be Our Guest wasn't available at 180+8 and I'm not a big fan of other restaurants in MK. Our picky eater nixed Kona. I may switch to Grand Floridian Cafe or Whispering Canyon if the negative reviews keep coming in.

We are in the same boat and getting nervous about keeping my reservation... Like the idea of whispering canyon though! May try for that...

lostpro9het

You know they may just be trying a new menu just to see how the public reacts to the changes!
Wouldn't be the first time. Two Christmas's ago they were experimenting with "healthy" breakfast items but at that time they brought the new items out in addition to the regular fare, not as a replacement for something. They asked us our feedback about them at the end of our meal. Needless to say we didn't see the new items on the menu this Christmas.

lunchbox1175

Here you go! I make them every weekend during college football....brings back great memories of my bachelor party as we went to 'Ohana for dinner one night, and everyone absolutely loved it. I wasn't able to attach it, so I just cut and pasted it.

'Ohana Honey Coriander Chicken Wings
5 pounds chicken wings and drumettes 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil

For the wing seasoning
: 1 tablespoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon ground paprika 1 tablespoon sugar 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1/4 teaspoon turmeric 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the coriander wing sauce: 1/2 cup honey 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1/2 tablespoon chili powder 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Mix wing seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and using a whisk.
Put the chicken and 2 tablespoons of wing seasoning in a large bowl. Add enough oil to coat the chicken evenly and mix well.
Spread the seasoned chicken in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Place all wing sauce ingredients in a large saute pan, and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Cook and stir until thickened.
Transfer the cooked wings into the sauce and serve.

cw1982

Here you go! I make them every weekend during college football....brings back great memories of my bachelor party as we went to 'Ohana for dinner one night, and everyone absolutely loved it. I wasn't able to attach it, so I just cut and pasted it.

'Ohana Honey Coriander Chicken Wings
5 pounds chicken wings and drumettes 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the wing seasoning: 1 tablespoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon ground paprika 1 tablespoon sugar 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1/4 teaspoon turmeric 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the coriander wing sauce: 1/2 cup honey 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1/2 tablespoon chili powder 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Mix wing seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and using a whisk.
Put the chicken and 2 tablespoons of wing seasoning in a large bowl. Add enough oil to coat the chicken evenly and mix well.
Spread the seasoned chicken in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Place all wing sauce ingredients in a large saute pan, and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Cook and stir until thickened.
Transfer the cooked wings into the sauce and serve.

Thanks! :)

kverdon

Whoa? If they took Chicken AND Turkey off the menu then they have seen the last of us :-(. This used to be a favorite place but since my wife does not eat Pork or Beef and not a huge fan of chicken wings sounds like it is now kaput! It was ok before as she could have the chicken/turkey to go with the shrimp. Now with those gone, it is not worth it for her. Too bad another WDW Restaurant off the list :-(

Kevin and Mona

erasure fan1

Oh ok. Nvm then :)

It was mentioned on one of their podcast. Apparently something about most people not wanting the salad, so they no longer just give it out. I have never been but have a ressie for October. Really might just give it up.
I can believe that because the dressing is horrid in my opinion. No one on either side of my family loves it either.

Did you have to ask for salad? Or did they bring it out automatically?
You have to ask for it. My wife wanted a salad even though she isn't a huge fan of it, and she had to ask the server for it.

We have always had good luck with Ohana but I will say this last visit on the 26th was the weakest so far. The service just wasn't up to standards. It was a major wait between the different items. I'll chalk it up to a bad day but we will see next year if it is following the same trend as all the other restaurants in Disney.

Weather_Lady

They took the chicken SKEWERS off of the menu -- not the chicken wings. (Check Tiki Man again -- the only announcement he made that I can find relates to the removal of the chicken SKEWERS, which was first published back in April 2014.)

We were there in May, after the change took effect, and were served the chicken wings on a big platter with the lo mein and veggies as the "second course," with first course being bread/dumplings/lettuce wraps, the third course being steak/pork/shrimp skewers and the final course being the banana bread pudding.

...and for the record, the wings were AWESOME!

quirkle

Original Poster
We cancelled our reservations and are going to Marrakesh. Looking forward to something different.

todd23

We ate at 'Ohana Aug. 2 and were surprised at how empty it was. I know all the construction is going on at the Polynesian, but there were tables sitting empty our entire time there. In the past, there have been lines of people waiting in the lobby area.

I liked the lettuce wraps just as much as the salad, so that change was not a big deal to me. However, I did notice the wait staff was not bringing the meat skewers around as regularly as we have experienced in the past. They only came to our table twice with each one our entire meal. We used to have to shoo them away they would come so often. Perhaps another cost-saving move? Offer meat less often and people will eat less of it?

All of that being said, we are still big fans of 'Ohana and don't plan on cutting it off our must-do list. The dessert alone likely keeps it on my must-do list.

Weather_Lady

Well we dropped O'Hanna for our trip in Dec. :-( with just the Chicken Wings and shrimp for the proteins, there is just not the appeal for my wife. Going to Calif Grill instead.

Kevin and Mona

I'm sure you'll love California Grill, and the construction at the Poly is hideous and wisely avoided! (But just to set the record straight, there are still beef and pork skewers at 'Ohana in addition to the chicken and shrimp.)

*Correction: I just saw your post above saying your wife doesn't eat pork or beef. I'm sure the Cali Grill fish and seafood options will offer far more for her than the proteins available to her at 'Ohana.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom