Monorail Thoughts... Not sure where to post...

nace888

Original Poster
So I got to thinkin recently (bad I know) about the monorails, and stuff that happens to em. The more magical side, I suppose you could say... I remember a couple years ago when both Monorails Red and Gold came across some... forest friend issues on the beam. Gold practically exhausting a squirrel, and Red taunting an Egyptian Goose.. And it got me to thinking. With automation going into place, how do you think things will work out in the "beam lovers department" (yanno the animals XD) and the fact that something similar could happen in front of guests? I'm not sure I'd wanna see a goose get pancaked, let alone a squirrel... Just a thought. Same for anything that could cause slight issues... The ever elusive expansion joints, stuff like that.

How do you feel about this kinda thing?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Interesting. With today's instant reporting it will be interesting to see how this plays out on the internet and the media.

It is bound to happen eventually in front of guests and I'm sure the PR department has a release at the ready and I'll bet that it quotes SOMETHING from The Lion King.

Nextinline

Some automated systems (particularly systems at grade) have obstruction detection that can slow or stop a vehicle if there is interference on the track. I do not know the details of the train control system they are putting in, so I don't know if that will be included.

If there is a CM in the cab, I would assume they can manually override the ATC to avoid any obstructions. @marni1971 are CM's definitely remaining on board? What will their function be?

Nextinline

Does anyone know what company is doing the automation, or can anyone provide links to additional information about the crossover?

nace888

Original Poster
There will still be a CM in the cab.

Yes, but essentially, the only thing they're going to do IIRC is open and close the doors, and start the train.

Some automated systems (particularly systems at grade) have obstruction detection that can slow or stop a vehicle if there is interference on the track. I do not know the details of the train control system they are putting in, so I don't know if that will be included.

If there is a CM in the cab, I would assume they can manually override the ATC to avoid any obstructions.
@marni1971 are CM's definitely remaining on board? What will their function be?

That may be true, but in the event of a last minute occurrence, that may be hard. Least I would think so. It also makes me remember the time someone got on the beam at DL, and yeah, that happened... With the Mark VI's being so old, I'm not sure if they'll be able to have obstruction detection. The anticipated new trains sure, but with the Mark VI's, there's no telling...
CM's if I remember, would still be considered attendants, and would start the train, as well as open and close doors. Possibly they'll have a manual override, but it's hard to say.

Bairstow

Other than a birdstrike actually damaging the windshield, I would imagine it's a non-issue, considering how much of a bigger toll Disney's bus fleet must take on the local wildlife.

JIMINYCR

Has to be... Can you imagine if something occurred and there wasnt a CM inside monitoring? News Flash... Monorail riders left abandoned. Inside a broken monorail with no Disney personnel aboard, panicked guests were left clueless as to why the monorail they were riding in had stalled in the middle of the track. The new automated monorails carried no Disney pilots aboard to pass out information or assure guests that the breakdown was being resolved. Children were frantically crying as parents tried to assure them that help would arrive. Lawsuits to follow.

nace888

Original Poster
Has to be... Can you imagine if something occurred and there wasnt a CM inside monitoring? News Flash... Monorail riders left abandoned. Inside a broken monorail with no Disney personnel aboard, panicked guests were left clueless as to why the monorail they were riding in had stalled in the middle of the track. The new automated monorails carried no Disney pilots aboard to pass out information or assure guests that the breakdown was being resolved. Children were frantically crying as parents tried to assure them that help would arrive. Lawsuits to follow.
WOAH, Right?!

Nextinline

I can see how sensational media & the hysterical public would act, but driverless (ie no employee on board the vehicle) mass transit systems exist all over world with great success. Would you really know if a CM was on your train while you are in any of the cars other than the front & back cabins? In the instance of a delay communications would go between central control & the vehicles. Without a doubt, & particularly with a new vehicle fleet, WDW could have a completely unmanned monorail system.

lazyboy97o

Possibly a link please? I'm not sure which thread that is, LOL!!!
Here is the post.
I don't know if this have been posted...

Thales Project List - https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/default/files/asset/document/2013_Master_Project_List.pdf

Here is an overview of the upgrade technology they're installing...

A flyer for the system being specifically installed at WDW...
https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/default/files/asset/document/SelTracBrochure_CBTCSolutions_eng.pdf

And the thread: Automated monorail system update

ABQ

I can see how sensational media & the hysterical public would act, but driverless (ie no employee on board the vehicle) mass transit systems exist all over world with great success. Would you really know if a CM was on your train while you are in any of the cars other than the front & back cabins? In the instance of a delay communications would go between central control & the vehicles. Without a doubt, & particularly with a new vehicle fleet, WDW could have a completely unmanned monorail system.
Like famed Twitter user @nnaaatttalliiie said just a few weeks back
"Literally stuck on a monorail at Disney, lighting struck and we immediately stopped. I'm convinced that I'm going to die,"

Tom

Beta Return

The pilots will still be responsible for closing the doors and starting movement.

That's what I thought, ok. It makes sense. You don't want trains full of passengers to be traveling those distances without someone on payroll attending to things.

Also, someone still has to dispatch the train, just like every single ride. Even if the system is indicating it's safe to dispatch, you don't want the train just closing the doors and taking off.

In a situation like a big city subway, 90% of the commuters are well-versed in how to board and de-board the trains in a timely and safe manner, with the doors closing automatically. At WDW, I'm guessing fewer than 10% of the guests have had any interaction with a fully automated train system. It's still important to have human intervention to ensure everyone is on board safely.

I figured the trains would have sensors on their noses to detect beam obstructions as part of a complete system, but even then, it's good to have someone monitoring everything.

Nextinline

At WDW, I'm guessing fewer than 10% of the guests have had any interaction with a fully automated train system.

If they used Orlando International Airport to get to WDW then they have used a fully automated train system. Most large airports, including Orlando, have fully automated people movers.

I don't doubt that WDW would/should keep 2 CM's at the stations to assist people with questions or extra needs, but to have staff handling doors, starting trains, and monitoring the track is not necessary with today's technology; technology that has been well tested in systems across the world. You would, of course, need to staff a central control though...

Also, the obstruction detection would probably be on the track itself, not the vehicles. Sensors on the track would monitor obstructions & would communicate with central control which would communicate with the on board computers to slow or stop the trains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom