How does Ellen's Energy Adventure work?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Okay, so I find the way EEA works kind of complicated to understand..

1). How does it use the solar panels on the outside of the building as energy for the ride? Like, how does it connect with it?

2). Random thinking. But how are the groups of ride vehicles organized for each time a new crowd comes in? Is the pre-show just as long as the ride so that each time the ride is done, all the "boats" are back at the beginning? Or is there like a second group of "boats" that are specifically timed so that they don't merge with each other in a scene?

I've always loved this ride. Outdated or not. I think it's amusing and fun. It may be old, but it's still great to ride. They should upgrade the video with the current Ellen, Bill Nye and Jeapordy host. Like.. You know, just re-film the whole thing and re-vamp those dino AAs. I think it would be a great ride. Considering it also takes a WHOLE BUNCH of people in at once, why not make it good again?

Tom

Beta Return
The solar panel system generates electricity and feeds into the internal power system via a transformer and other electrical distribution equipment. All it does is supplement the power fed to the building from the property-wide grid.

I believe there are two "sets" of ride vehicles in EEA. So one is unloading/loading while another is traveling.

horizons82

As a fan of the original UoE and as one who still enjoys EEA (to a lesser extent), I'll take a stab at this...

1. One of two things:
The energy from the photovoltaic cells on the roof are connected to the "tracks" that the ride vehicles move on. I believe the cars have connectors through which they receive this energy and/or it is stored in some kind of battery that is onboard each vehicle.
Or, the cars are simply recharged in one sitting--possibly when they are in the main theater where the second and final films are shown, and this charge is enough to get through the rest of the attraction.

2. The pre-show (even with a wait between when the pre-show plays), seems far too short to last while the ride vehicles go through an entire show and ride cycle. I could be wrong, but I'd think there are at least 2 if not 3 sets of vehicles running at any one time. For example, once you leave the main theater (2nd film) into the dinosaur area, I'd think another set of cars is moving into the main theater for the ending and exit, which is happening while another set of vehicles is moving into the 3rd film area and so on and so forth.

Hope this helps and maybe we'll get some definitive answers to confirm or correct what I've said :)

Bairstow

There's only one set of vehicles.
That's why there's often a long wait time between boarding and the next preshow.

horizons82

The show runs about 45 minutes, and I don't ever recall having to wait 45 minutes between shows, which is what would have to happen if there were only one set of vehicles.

I checked out the attraction on Wiki, and it says there are 3 shows running concurrently, with a new show starting every 17 minutes. This would mean there would have to be at least 2 if not 3 separate ride systems from what I can tell.

roj2323

That's why there's often a long wait time between boarding and the next preshow.
This is incorrect. I Have ridden Ellen's Energy nap many many times and you can actually see the second set of cars enter the main room as you are exiting it. Just turn around next time or better yet ride front row and look in front of you when you are leaving the small turntable to return to the large one. (jeopardy scene)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay, so I find the way EEA works kind of complicated to understand..

1). How does it use the solar panels on the outside of the building as energy for the ride? Like, how does it connect with it?

2). Random thinking. But how are the groups of ride vehicles organized for each time a new crowd comes in? Is the pre-show just as long as the ride so that each time the ride is done, all the "boats" are back at the beginning? Or is there like a second group of "boats" that are specifically timed so that they don't merge with each other in a scene?

If you hadn't seen it - Head directly to @marni1971 's excellent video on the topic - http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=263

The solar system is in concept similar to a house - you can store energy and convert to AC. The trains charge through inductive charging in the floor if I recall correctly.

The show has two sets of theater vehicles in the show at the same time. The building has 3 main show areas, the first being used for act I and the finale. Martin's video does an excellent job showing this in animations and highlighting the technical achievement of it.

Nope! Then you'd be waiting 45+mins between shows!

flynnibus

Premium Member
For a teaser on why you should watch Martin's excellent videos.. here's a screengrab of his animation showing the show vehicle sets

martin.jpg

Rob562

This is incorrect. I Have ridden Ellen's Energy nap many many times and you can actually see the second set of cars enter the main room as you are exiting it. Just turn around next time or better yet ride front row and look in front of you when you are leaving the small turntable to return to the large one. (jeopardy scene)

The way the attraction is timed, neither set of vehicles should ever be able to see each other, whether it's looking back from the set of vehicles entering the diorama or looking ahead from the set re-entering Theater 1 from Theater 2.

Turning around while at the hold point at the start of the diorama you can see the door rising up from the floor, perhaps the empty turntable moving into position or a CM using a flashlight to visually check the floor for dropped articles, but not the other set of cars (which would mean you'd also be seeing the Jeopardy scenes on the screen, as they're already playing the moment the Theater 2 cars start rolling).

In the original incarnation of UoE, the Theater 1 curtains had all raised up to reveal the mirrored walls before the cars moved from Theater 2 to Theater 1.

That being said, there *was* a stretch of time a few years ago where the door between Theater 1 and the diorama was broken and stuck in the "down" position and the only barrier between the diorama and Theater 1 was the curtain. So perhaps your memory is from this period of time, but under normal operation you wouldn't see the other set.

Or it's possible your memory is combining UoE with Great Movie Ride, where you *can* see the vehicles behind you coming from the finale theater if you're in the last car leaving the dock and you turn around, or the vehicles departing the dock if you're in the front car coming from the finale...

-Rob

roj2323

The way the attraction is timed, neither set of vehicles should ever be able to see each other, whether it's looking back from the set of vehicles entering the diorama or looking ahead from the set re-entering Theater 1 from Theater 2.

Turning around while at the hold point at the start of the diorama you can see the door rising up from the floor, perhaps the empty turntable moving into position or a CM using a flashlight to visually check the floor for dropped articles, but not the other set of cars (which would mean you'd also be seeing the Jeopardy scenes on the screen, as they're already playing the moment the Theater 2 cars start rolling).

In the original incarnation of UoE, the Theater 1 curtains had all raised up to reveal the mirrored walls before the cars moved from Theater 2 to Theater 1.

That being said, there *was* a stretch of time a few years ago where the door between Theater 1 and the diorama was broken and stuck in the "down" position and the only barrier between the diorama and Theater 1 was the curtain. So perhaps your memory is from this period of time, but under normal operation you wouldn't see the other set.

Or it's possible your memory is combining UoE with Great Movie Ride, where you *can* see the vehicles behind you coming from the finale theater if you're in the last car leaving the dock and you turn around, or the vehicles departing the dock if you're in the front car coming from the finale...

-Rob
Nope, this was from about a 2 months ago. I was in car 6 (the last one to enter the dinosaur scene) and I could clearly see the other cars behind me starting their approach into theater 1 from theater 2. It is possible that I just happened to see the cars in that short timeframe that both doors were down together but I did see it.

FettFan

The one thing I hate about UoE is just how barren it is. The preshow room is....just a giant empty room with three movie screens and a handful of benches. Everything is done in black...black walls, black carpet.

Then you enter Theater 1 to the vehicles...and it's more of the same. The vehicles are sitting in the middle of this very large expanse of a room, with all black walls, black carpets, black curtains, etc. Same goes for Theater 2.

The only way to make it more bleak and depressing would be to axe Ellen and put in Winona Ryder.
tumblr_lay9nckGXL1qeuofxo1_500_large.gif

"Energy orange? Energy fruit? Energy....breakfast?"

They should liven things up a bit. Put some hands-on exhibits into the preshow. Bring back the kinetic mosaic show. Heck, even painting some murals on the walls would help it tremendously. They need to strip away the funeral and keep the fun.

horizons82

The one thing I hate about UoE is just how barren it is. The preshow room is....just a giant empty room with three movie screens and a handful of benches. Everything is done in black...black walls, black carpet.

I'll agree that the décor and setting of the theaters doesn't really match the current show, but it did match the original show, which was much more serious and had a darker mood to it (which I prefer). It also gave the pavilion a sense of grandness, and combined with the more serious presentation of the original show, made for a very amazing experience.

That said, I'll agree that the more "fun" Ellen show and the darker theater designed for the old show don't really mix well together.

P.S.
I really miss the moving tiles from the original pre-show.

graphite1326

I think you are right. If there were more than one show going at the same time you would here the big bang blast from the next show while you were moving on.

graphite1326

OR I could be wrong.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think you are right. If there were more than one show going at the same time you would here the big bang blast from the next show while you were moving on.
There are two sets of vehicles.

There were actually 13 cars made. Two packs of 6 and a spare.

The spare has been cannibalised for parts and often another goes out of action resulting in a 5 pack that gives the infamous turnable squeak.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nope, this was from about a 2 months ago. I was in car 6 (the last one to enter the dinosaur scene) and I could clearly see the other cars behind me starting their approach into theater 1 from theater 2. It is possible that I just happened to see the cars in that short timeframe that both doors were down together but I did see it.
If you saw hat, it has to be a timing fault. As you leave theatre one show door 1 should close before door 3 opens along with the powered curtains. If you had just left theatre one the T1 turntable would need to reset before door 3 opened.

If the six pack behind yours did enter theatre one at that time it would have to hold for the table to properly line up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom