Why Hat Hate?

The Empress Lilly

It's been spoken about before and maybe to death as well but I have to know:

Why do so many people hate the Sorcerer Hat in DHS?

I personally have no problem with it but maybe you know something I don't?

So explain to me why you hate it. Maybe you can open my eyes up to something I've never considered.

One stipulation: don't take the easy route and say "It just doesn't belong there."
I'll give you a serious reply.

In the pic below, do you think there is something terribly amiss? Well, it is for all the reasons that this picture is wrong that we hate the BAH:
hat2.jpg

G00fyDad

I thought A forum was to ask questions and hopefully receive valuable answers like some of the previous posters did.
7ce16.jpg

They are. At least most forums are. You can ask a question here and get a serious and valuable answer. However, asking an already asked question about a topic that has been beaten, stabbed, stomped, pulverized, and ground to death, and which has started arguments is likely only a troll move , or at least asking for trouble.

Kuzcotopia

I guess that's the problem with reading verse talking. You cannot get a sense of how someone is feeling. I was not irritated by your response, just simply pointing out that no more responses were needed. I did feel that you were jumping down my throat for asking a question on a forum. Your post did show irritation with the "YET AGAIN". Sorry I failed to use the search function. I thought A forum was to ask questions and hopefully receive valuable answers like some of the previous posters did. Simple as that. I mean come on, there is only so much that one can talk about that may have been spoken about in the past. If you were offended or irritated by my response, my apologies. With all sincerity, hope you have a magical day.

hC8584723

Disneyhead'71

I'll give you a serious reply.

In the pic below, do you think there is something terribly amiss? Well, it is for all the reasons that this picture is wrong that we hate the BAH:View attachment 59936
That is actually better than the BAH. A 19 story medieval European castle has no business at the end of Main Street USA. The beautiful Grauman's Chinese Theater replica is perfect to cap off an idealized Hollywood Blvd.

Last edited:

tare

I hate the hat. It's such a shame not to be able to see the Chinese theater. St least I have memories of the way it used to be!!

Polydweller

As I've said on other threads it is amazing to me how people want a non-Disney related theatre, Mann's, to be the main feature and are against one of the most important Disney Film icons, the Sorcerer's Hat. Fantasia was one of the most innovative and technologically important movies Walt made. It deserves it's place in the film themed park. And, it's era appropriate with the film being released in 1940.

And Mann's has no real importance. If it was the Carthay Circle where Snow White premiered then there might be an argument. But the inconsistency with people all over this board being unhappy about non-Disney things being introduced simply serves to show how misplaced this hat hate is. For me, I'll always prefer Disney icons being in the fore front.

lazyboy97o

As I've said on other threads it is amazing to me how people want a non-Disney related theatre, Mann's, to be the main feature and are against one of the most important Disney Film icons, the Sorcerer's Hat. Fantasia was one of the most innovative and technologically important movies Walt made. It deserves it's place in the film themed park. And, it's era appropriate with the film being released in 1940.

And Mann's has no real importance. If it was the Carthay Circle where Snow White premiered then there might be an argument. But the inconsistency with people all over this board being unhappy about non-Disney things being introduced simply serves to show how misplaced this hat hate is. For me, I'll always prefer Disney icons being in the fore front.
Hollywood Boulevard is "non-Disney related." There are very, very few who argue Hollywood Boulevard is inappropriate for a Disney theme park, where being "Disney" has only become important in recent years.

FettFan

That is actually better than the BAH. A 19 story medieval European castle has no business at the end of Main Street USA. The beautiful Grauman's Chinese Theater replica is perfect to cap off an idealized Hollywood Blvd.

You are aware of what the castle at the end of the Main Street symbolizes, right?

You start off on Main Street (based on Disney's hometown, Marceline, Missouri) and as you move deeper into the park, you leave the "real world" behind and enter a fantastic realm. That's the reason they put the train station up front, so that once you pass through the gates, you wouldn't see the castle until they were ready for you to see it.

Granted, the effect was much, MUCH greater when there were the nice trees obstructing the lower parts of the castle. Main Street would end in a public commons or park area, and the castle would be rising up past it.
Magic%20Kingdom%201990-13-M.jpg

5thGenTexan

Well, they should have picked a place for the hat from the beginning then.

Building a recognizable movie landmark and placing it in a prominent position in a new park that celebrated movies and the making of movies was appropriate. The decision to build anything and place it directly in front of and hiding an existing feature of the park was at best poor planning. I'd venture to say it was an outright stupid and disrespectful to the original vision of MGM Studios.

FettFan

By that token, we should totally demolish the Tower of Terror. It's not Disney.

And you do realize that Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like a Lady" is a song about having sexual relations with a transvestite, right?
Check the lyrics: "Turn the other cheek, dear. Do me, do me, do me all night."
Totally not Disney nor suitable for a family environment.

Oh and then there is Echo Lake, home to a pair of famous non-Disney properties Gertie the Dinosaur

and Min and Bill.

The entire point of DHS is "The Hollywood that Never Was....and Always Will Be". It's a romanticized micro-machines version of Hollywood, meaning that all of the buildings in the park are reproductions of famous Hollywood landmarks.
Carthay Circle is there, represented by the Once Upon a Time shop on Sunset Boulevard.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/shops/hollywood-studios/once-upon-a-time/

As for the Chinese Theater having "no importance"...well...
60966-6-star-wars-opening-day.jpg

BAZINGA

Last edited:

hull327

I don't mind the hat in and of itself. I just disagree with its placement. It should've never been put in the front of the Chinese Theater to completely obstruct it. Put the hat at the entrance and let me walk under it while I'm scanning my ticket or something.

Disneyhead'71

I don't mind the hat in and of itself. I just disagree with its placement. It should've never been put in the front of the Chinese Theater to completely obstruct it. Put the hat at the entrance and let me walk under it while I'm scanning my ticket or something.
Or put it, pins and all, in the Animation Courtyard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom