Renting DVC Points

MotherofaPrincessLover

Original Poster
I'm thinking about renting some DVC points in the future and have a few questions. For ADRs, do you still get to book at 180 from the day you check in? For FP+, do you get the 60 day window? Do you get EMH? Any other info would also be appreciated!

StarWarsGirl

I would think so. You're still staying at a Disney resort, and those are privileges associated with staying at a Disney resort.

Rob562

You have all benefits of a Disney resort Guest. You'll have a reservation number that can be linked to your MDE profile.

The only benefits you *don't* have access to are those specifically for DVC Owners. Things like Top of the World in BLT, pool hopping, discounts, etc.

-Rob

tjkraz

You also need to go through the owner for any changes to the reservation. A non-owner cannot change the names on the reservation, add a view request, buy the dining plan, book DME, modify dates, etc.

Rentals also tend to be VERY restrictive in ability to cancel or make changes. That's a big part of the trade-off for the savings involved in a rental. Members renting their points are just people looking to cover their cost while getting someone else a great deal. They don't have the resources of Disney Reservations which allows cancellations up to a week before arrival (or whatever that policy may be.)

I was recently reading comments from someone who had rented points for a visit that was still 7-8 months away, and then found out she was pregnant with a due date just before the trip. She was angry / dumbfounded that the owner wouldn't make any accommodations.

To be painfully blunt, that's the deal you make when renting points. Part of the reason you're getting that room for 50-60% off Disney prices is because of the irrevocable commitment. If you have any concerns about being able to make the trip due to injury, illness, etc., BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE IMMEDIATELY...or don't rent in the first place.

Good luck.

squidward

^^ That's the ONLY reason I'm not renting points for next year. It breaks my heart as my wife loves having the jacuzzi, it's so convenient having the washer/dryer, and we love the extra space. However, things have been a bit unstable at work and I don't feel confident spending all that money with the limited possibility of getting it back.

If you have travel insurance, that would protect you even if you rent points from an owner? Who would you purchase it from?

Weather_Lady

^
If you have travel insurance, that would protect you even if you rent points from an owner? Who would you purchase it from?

Yes, travel insurance can protect you when you rent DVC points. When we rented DVC points for our May 2014 trip, we purchased a policy from TravelGuard (the company our travel agent friends recommended) that had a "cancel your vacation for any reason and get a full refund" provision. For about $200, it protected our nearly $4,000 non-refundable vacation investment -- our DVC rental and dining plan payment. (In order to be able to "cancel for any reason" -- and not just things like a medical emergency or catastrophic weather conditions -- you have to buy the insurance within 15 or 20 days or so of your payment for the vacation expenses. You can still buy insurance later, but if it's past the 15 days or whatever, then you can't get the "cancel for any reason" coverage.) You can get a free quote and compare their plans here: http://www.travelguard.com/travelinsurance/vacation/

FWIW, we loved renting! We got a 2-bedroom villa for about 55% of what the "rack rate" would have been. You get all the usual perks that come with staying onsite -- the DDP if you wish to purchase it (you have to go through the member from whom you are renting -- you pay them and they make the arrangements and pay Disney), EMH, Magical Express transportation, etc.. The only real differences are that you can't take advantage of any room discounts or free dining specials that are offered (because DVC members can't use them), and you won't get regular housekeeping (you get trash-and-towel service on day 4 of a week-long stay -- not daily room cleaning or bed-making, although you can pay extra if you want those services).

tjkraz

Can you get extra towels and soaps and things from the front desk?

Technically there are posted fees for requesting such items but they are not charged consistently.

It helps to realize that Disney Vacation Club is a timeshare, and it's run in a similar manner to most other timeshares. Owners collectively pay the operating costs of the timeshare, so services are limited in certain regards. Timeshares typically do not have daily housekeeping. They do not replace towels, coffee and other consumables every day. Instead they have limited services and charge extra to the owners who want more.

Hotels have a different philosophy. They charge much higher rates and in return then tend to pamper guests more.

It comes down to getting what you pay for. A Disney Deluxe hotel room may cost $400 per night with daily housekeeping and all the bells and whistles.

Renting points will probably run you more like $150-200 for comparable accommodations. Then you can choose to pay $25 per day for full cleaning if desired, $6 for replacement towels...and so on. The timeshare rental is still going to cost much less.

EOD K9

The two times I have needed extra towels I have left a note and a few bucks for mousekeeping on the table. Upon my return, there were extra towels.

dreamfinder

Can you get extra towels and soaps and things from the front desk?

As @tjkraz said, anything beyond what is in the room technically has a charge associated with it. However, asking for an extra towel or two is typically fine. But all the DVC properties should have towels at the pool, and provide enough in room for each guest booked to have their own for showers and such. But if you call and ask for more you may find the corresponding charge on your bill when you check out. At the same time, once when we got our towel & trash service they took the old toiletries and didn't leave any new ones. When we called housekeeping they sent someone up with a bag full of stuff and just handed it to us. Like 30+ soaps, lotions, etc. So they usually don't seem to care, but it depends on who helps you out and what you are asking for.

(Note: The front desk will just call housekeeping which you can do from your own room phone. They typically don't stock any of that there.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom