Castaway Cay 5K

216bruce

I ran it a few months back and I second the motion that it's really a tough run. I only did it for the (plastic) bling you get when you finish and the bib. Second slowest 5k I've ever run. HOT, HUMID and the tree loop is indeed neverending. Save the effort- buy a t-shirt and pin from it- available near the finish line and just lie. Tell folks you ran it and show em the shirt and pin. Get a beer or umbrella drink and soak up sun. This is coming from someone running the Dopey in January.

Ariel484

Wow, I didn't expect so many replies!
Wow, that sounds absolutely awful. Thanks for the heads up. Where I live, we've been having a mostly mild and dry summer, too. I am going in just a little over 2 weeks, so I will probably pass. I think I will just go to the Yoga at Serenity Bay. I want to enjoy my CC day without feeling like death warmed over.
Luckily neither of us felt like it had a negative impact on our day. It was definitely a concern we had during the race, but we ended up okay.

We did go back on the ship for showers and breakfast at Cabanas, so by the time we were back on the island it was about 11:30. We could have brought beach stuff with us and left it at the race start/finish but I didn't want to keep the sweaty clothes with us all day. We hated losing that time.

I mean...if you really want to do it I certainly am not trying to say, "It was super tough for me, everyone skip it!" I think anyone that's REALLY interested should try it at least once so that they know for sure next time, especially as long as it's free. *shrug*
That's such a great review, lol.
Says the chick who will run only if chased with scissors. :D If you needed another excuse (and you don't!), now you have it!
EXACTLY! :D
@Ariel484, now you will REALLY MEAN IT when you say "never again". ;)
Yep! Twice was enough for me!
@Ariel484, yep. Here in Houston our weather in the summer is pretty much like Central Florida. Sometimes hotter. We've also been having a "mild" summer (read: less hellish). The summer Brian and I 'trained' for the CC5k we had over a month solid of 100+ degree days. That's when we learned the absolute necessity of running before the sun is up. I remember during that heat wave even pre-sun we were in the upper 70s to low 80s. And heavy humidity always. Even now, if I'm not out the door for my run by 6:15 at the latest I don't bother. Right now temps are more low to mid 70s for that time of day. Heavy humidity. Sunshine would be the killer. I'm not making myself sick to run, tho.

I'm thinking I'll do my cruise running on deck and watch the sun cone up from here on out. That's the --name of ship-- 5k. No bibs or medals but a great view, fantastic breezes, and you get to enjoy the rest of the day!

The CC5k starts too late for me. Nooooo thanks!
That's part of what was making me so mad in regards to things starting late. I felt like every minute we were sitting in Evolution it was getting hotter and hotter out!
@Ariel484 That is a shame that you didn't enjoy yourself. I've run the 5k in March and also in August. As you can tell by my avatar, I'm not a runner, but I enjoyed the run on CC. You review was honest but I hope that doesn't discourage others from making the attempt.
Hence the "truthful review" warning. Again, I'd hate for anyone who really wanted to try it to suddenly decide not to just because I didn't like it. I've done it twice as well now and it's just not for me. I'll stick to a treadmill in Senses or laps on Deck 4 like @sweetpee_1993.

I debated posting it but sort of felt I wanted to give a follow-up since I posted in this thread earlier. I have other thoughts on it but I think I'll keep them to myself for now. :)
I jog in short bursts when it's necessary. :)
What if we had Mickey Premium bars waiting for you at the finish?! :)
This just solidifies my reasons for not running the CC5K in January.

You know...this...plus my hatred for running/being super hot/not being completely and utterly lazy on CC day.
Yep.
Just make it through November and then you can retire forever! :D
Thanks for the review! It confirms that I was right in chickening out of it on my first cruise. I think I have no desire to try it after reading your review. I rather have a lovely day on the island and run 5k on another day - without a medal.
Again, I'd hate to discourage anyone that REALLY wants to do it. But I have heard that some people are totally wrecked afterward. I'm thankful that didn't happen in our case.
But your avatar looks like you are a serious athlete! :) I think the thing I took out of @Ariel484's review is that you need to know what you are in for. It is not going to be a pleasant jog through the countryside, but a challenge.
Very much agree with the bolded portion. I'm glad I knew going into it that my pace would be significantly slower than usual. :)
I ran it a few months back and I second the motion that it's really a tough run. I only did it for the (plastic) bling you get when you finish and the bib. Second slowest 5k I've ever run. HOT, HUMID and the tree loop is indeed neverending. Save the effort- buy a t-shirt and pin from it- available near the finish line and just lie. Tell folks you ran it and show em the shirt and pin. Get a beer or umbrella drink and soak up sun. This is coming from someone running the Dopey in January.
I have some races coming up and needed to get a run in that morning anyway...that was the motivation for me. I regularly run 15-20 miles per week and it was definitely tough.

And I DID grab a t-shirt and pin at the finish (husband got a shirt as well). We definitely felt like we earned them! :)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I'm thinking I'll do my cruise running on deck and watch the sun cone up from here on out. That's the --name of ship-- 5k. No bibs or medals but a great view, fantastic breezes, and you get to enjoy the rest of the day!

The CC5k starts too late for me. Nooooo thanks!

This. I got up early every morning of both my cruises and did at least 2 miles in Deck 4 before breakfast. All of those jaunts were enjoyable. :)

(Yes, really, every morning--had to work off all that fine food & drinky-drinkin'!) ;)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
This just solidifies my reasons for not running the CC5K in January.

You know...this...plus my hatred for running/being super hot/not being completely and utterly lazy on CC day.

Yep.

I think you have the right idea. How late was I getting to the cabana, and how much fun did I miss? ;) :D

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

LOL, I did buy the tshirt after my second CC5K (because they finally got a ladies' cut). I would never buy the shirt if I hadn't done the work!! ;)

Tiggerfanatic

This. I got up early every morning of both my cruises and did at least 2 miles in Deck 4 before breakfast. All of those jaunts were enjoyable. :)

(Yes, really, every morning--had to work off all that fine food & drinky-drinkin'!) ;)
I'm with you - I'd rather get up early and do a couple miles on deck and have the rest of the day free. And I think that was my biggest gripe about the 5K - missing all that time in the cabana.

LuvsTheMouse

[QUO. ="Tiggerish, post: 62better member: 4054"]This. I got up early every morning of both my cruises and did at least 2 miles in Deck 4 before breakfast. All of those jaunts were enjoyable. :)

(Yes, really, every morning--had to work off all that fine food & drinky-drinkin'!) ;)[/QUOTE]
Walking on Deck early morning so much better than the CC5K. Been there, done it..Once is enough:eek:. It was too humid, hot and took away cabana time:D.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom