West Side Parking Garage construction

halltd

But how do you cover a six-story, 4000 spot parking monolith, and not have it look like a giant facade covering a giant parking garage?

Almost everything at Disney is a facade. That's what theme parks ARE - fake fronts covering giant warehouse buildings with rides inside. Main Street USA in itself is a facade.

The building I live in has a 15 story parking garage and they outlined the garage with apartments so you don't even see the garage at all...it's completely inside the middle of the building (like a doughnut - where the doughnut hole is the parking). Just think of the downtown parking lots of Celebration surrounded by buildings. Make that a parking deck, and you'd seriously never see it!

Here are some parking garages that don't necessarily look like parking garages. They could have made these in the style of Disney Springs. That's what I was inferring earlier.

designing-a-better-parking-garage-slide-04.jpg Feature0107_02x.jpg Feature0107_03x.jpg Feature0107_04x.jpg

CDavid

I'm a bit surprised some of you are saying "who cares what it looks like, it's a parking garage!" That's definitely not the attitude Disney was built on and it should ever be the attitude at Disney when it comes to building anything. If a guest can EVER see something, it should be properly themed.

You make a legitimate point. These parking garages will certainly be visible from Buena Vista Drive, and you don't want an eyesore in public view in a resort district. It matters very much what these look like, but between the landscaping and elements applied to the garages themselves they presumably will look alright.

Yeah, everything visible should be themed, like this :facepalm:

soarin_2_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Yeah, if only Disney were capable of constructing fake rockwork or something, they could hide this and the power lines above Cars land out in California.

Oh, wait... :confused:

71jason

You make a legitimate point. These parking garages will certainly be visible from Buena Vista Drive, and you don't want an eyesore in public view in a resort district.

Yeah, they'll totally clash with that early 1990s-themed Hess Station and ScumTrust office building across the street. :rolleyes:

It's just a parking garage. You can't see it from DTD. It was just a parking lot before. I'm far more concerned with potential new tenants (or the lack thereof).

CDavid

Yeah, they'll totally clash with that early 1990s-themed Hess Station and ScumTrust office building across the street. :rolleyes:

It's just a parking garage. You can't see it from DTD. It was just a parking lot before. I'm far more concerned with potential new tenants (or the lack thereof).

While there is nothing inherently special about parking areas, since it is part of the resort and in public view, the appearance and setting of the garages should at least be considered in the design (as seems to be the case, per the concept artwork). Obviously it would not be elaborately themed, but elsewhere within the Walt Disney World resort backstage areas and necessary facilities are generally either hidden from view or else the appearance has been considered in the design (fire stations, etc.). Certainly, then, aesthetics should also matter for a parking garage which will be the main entrance to the resort's primary shopping district.

As for tenants, you literally took the words right out of my mouth - I actually started to say the same thing, but deleted it as somewhat off-topic (thinking of all the off-topic notices in Spirit's thread, I guess). Some new additions may not be ready to make an announcement, but it is highly unusual for a major shopping development not to be naming some major tenants to stir interest among both future guests and additional prospective tenants. The lesson of Flamingo Crossings is much too fresh to just trust that Disney has prospects for all the new shop spaces to be added (construction for many of which has yet to begin, or just getting started).

But that Hess Station is in a rather bad location and needs to go. Its not like there aren't gas stations just outside Hotel Plaza blvd anyway.

RayTheFirefly

But that Hess Station is in a rather bad location and needs to go. Its not like there aren't gas stations just outside Hotel Plaza blvd anyway.

Funny story about that Hess Station. I was staying at the DTD Hilton on my most recent trip, and the bus driver we had coming back to the hotel was hilarious and really fun. But she told us that apparently that Hess has the best pizza you'll ever find and it's amazing for when you're drunk/hungover. We didn't get to try it but I kind of want to ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In a word, no.

The three HESS stations on property have some of the least expensive gas anywhere around WDW. The only gas station directly between the HESS at DTD and the on ramp to I-4 is the Chevron on Vineland and they are currently charging $5.19 for regular. Sure you can back track to a cheaper station, but those 3 Hess Stations on property are a godsend to cast members and guests that drive to WDW alike.

If anything, they need to open a fourth one.

G00fyDad

Maybe this is way off base here, but the tenant list that we have previously seen showed some rather fancy high-end stores. It would be nice if the tenants were not coming from Rodeo Drive or something. I'd like to be able to go into a store and feel like A) I don't have the entire staff there staring at me like I "don't belong", and B) that I could actually find something that I would want to buy and use instead of a $500 shirt, or a $200 pair of socks.

CDavid

Maybe this is way off base here, but the tenant list that we have previously seen showed some rather fancy high-end stores. It would be nice if the tenants were not coming from Rodeo Drive or something. I'd like to be able to go into a store and feel like A) I don't have the entire staff there staring at me like I "don't belong", and B) that I could actually find something that I would want to buy and use instead of a $500 shirt, or a $200 pair of socks.

What tenant list that we've previously seen??? The whole point we're making is the almost complete lack of announced (or even rumored) tenants. Other than shops already open, I've heard about The Boathouse and the aviation themed restaurant next door, and rumors of a rail oriented eatery and an upscale shop from Britain, but that's about it.

G00fyDad

What tenant list that we've previously seen??? The whole point we're making is the almost complete lack of announced (or even rumored) tenants. Other than shops already open, I've heard about The Boathouse and the aviation themed restaurant next door, and rumors of a rail oriented eatery and an upscale shop from Britain, but that's about it.

When this Disney Springs announcement broke, someone here posted a photo of "proposed" tenants from what looked like a sign in Downtown Disney. It was a bunch of high end retailers. Nothing many of us would ever even set foot in.

Restaurants

• Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar
  • Disney Character Dining (TBD)
  • Disney Burger (TBD)
  • Wine Bar (TBD)
  • The Edison
  • Disney Bakery (TBD)
  • Food Truck
  • Powell’s Sweet Shoppe
  • Italian Restaurant (TBD)
  • Argo Tea
  • Shake Shack
  • Food Network Restaurant
  • Temecula Olive Oil Company
  • Yogorino
  • Walt’s Place
  • The Boathouse
  • Morimoto
  • Newt
Retailers

• Topshop/Topman - clothing retailer from London
  • Superdry - clothing retailer from Japan
  • Uniqlo - clothing retailer from Japan
  • Bershka - clothing retailer from Spain
  • Marvel
  • American Girl Place
  • World of Coca Cola
  • Apple
  • Beautifully Disney
  • Kiehl's - beauty products
  • Dior - luxury Makeup, skincare & fragrance
  • D-Tech (Already there)
  • Jane and Jack - children's clothing
  • Paul Frank
  • Lululemon - apparel
  • Coach - handbags
  • Tourneau - watches
  • ONA - camera bags and accessories
  • Free People - apparel, accessories and shoes
  • Brooks Brothers - clothing
  • U.linx - jewelry
  • New Balance - shoes
  • Alex and Ani - jewelry
  • Marbles: The Brain Store
  • and more

shake-shack-food-trucks-disney.jpg

Last edited:

CDavid

When this Disney Springs announcement broke, someone here posted a photo of "proposed" tenants from what looked like a sign in Downtown Disney. It was a bunch of high end retailers. Nothing many of us would ever even set foot in.

Restaurants

• Disney Character Dining (TBD)
  • Disney Burger (TBD)
  • Wine Bar (TBD)
  • The Edison
  • Disney Bakery (TBD)
  • Food Truck
  • Powell’s Sweet Shoppe
  • Italian Restaurant (TBD)
  • Argo Tea
  • Shake Shack
  • Food Network Restaurant
  • Temecula Olive Oil Company
  • Yogorino
  • Walt’s Place
  • The Boathouse
  • Morimoto
  • Newt
Retailers

• Topshop/Topman - clothing retailer from London
  • Superdry - clothing retailer from Japan
  • Uniqlo - clothing retailer from Japan
  • Bershka - clothing retailer from Spain
  • Marvel
  • American Girl Place
  • World of Coca Cola
  • Apple
  • Beautifully Disney
  • Kiehl's - beauty products
  • Dior - luxury Makeup, skincare & fragrance
  • D-Tech (Already there)
  • Jane and Jack - children's clothing
  • Paul Frank
  • Lululemon - apparel
  • Coach - handbags
  • Tourneau - watches
  • ONA - camera bags and accessories
  • Free People - apparel, accessories and shoes
  • Brooks Brothers - clothing
  • U.linx - jewelry
  • New Balance - shoes
  • Alex and Ani - jewelry
  • Marbles: The Brain Store
  • and more

Yes, I've seen that, but those aren't announced tenants, just ideas of the sorts of places they are apparently hoping to attract. I misunderstood - thought you were referring to something confirmed.

G00fyDad

Yes, I've seen that, but those aren't announced tenants, just ideas of the sorts of places they are apparently hoping to attract. I misunderstood - thought you were referring to something confirmed.

No. Sorry. I should have said "proposed" list in that earlier post. But again, if that is the type of stores that we'll see in DS then I'll be skipping that place every trip.

maxairmike

No. Sorry. I should have said "proposed" list in that earlier post. But again, if that is the type of stores that we'll see in DS then I'll be skipping that place every trip.

You may skip it, but this expansion is aimed squarely at taking some business away from the outlets that have comparable brands/stores. Even with a slightly higher mark up, the South Americans and other foreign visitors will still see it as "cheap" compared to prices back home given exchange rate and such.

G00fyDad

You may skip it, but this expansion is aimed squarely at taking some business away from the outlets that have comparable brands/stores. Even with a slightly higher mark up, the South Americans and other foreign visitors will still see it as "cheap" compared to prices back home given exchange rate and such.

Fair point, but all that means is Disney is shifting their focus from one target to another. It still means the same thing for me. If all that ends up there is high-end retailers I will skip it. And no, I don't see that as being damaging to Disney whatsoever. It just happens to be my personal preference. My guess is that the damage may come from the retailers losing money because there might be more people going to Disney and holding back on their spending than people from foreign countries coming there to spend a bunch of money.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fair point, but all that means is Disney is shifting their focus from one target to another. It still means the same thing for me. If all that ends up there is high-end retailers I will skip it. And no, I don't see that as being damaging to Disney whatsoever. It just happens to be my personal preference. My guess is that the damage may come from the retailers losing money because there might be more people going to Disney and holding back on their spending than people from foreign countries coming there to spend a bunch of money.
None of the stuff that's there now is being replaced with high end retail shops. They are adding additional stores and refurbing the existing theme. Marketplace will actually look pretty much the same except for that bridge thingy. They will still have all the same stuff currently offered in addition to whatever new stuff they add. If you liked DTD and went there and spent money then there would be no reason to "skip" Disney Springs. Just like any mall or shopping center not all stores will appeal to everyone.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here is a close up picture of the "monolith" from the recent Theme Park Insider update. I can't quite figure out what this is. It sort of looks like they are going to build a second one to the left of the current one, appears to be a foundation there for it. Also of note in that photo update, the tower crane has been removed from the first garage section.

View attachment 59505

Here is a closeup picture of the "monolith" structure from Orlando Theme Parks News. The workers give a good reference to the size, so now I am pretty sure this is going to be an elevator shaft.

33VJej0.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom