Our strange resort habit

epcotisbest

Original Poster
It started quite by accident when staying at SSR. We had walked over to Downtown Disney and spent a good while there when it started raining. This was in September and it was not a typical afternoon pop up thunderstorm, but a gentle, steady, light rain that was clearly going to stick around for awhile. We made the best of it dodging in and out of shops and restaurants, but sooner or later we had to make the trek back to SSR and decided to walk back, same way we got there in the first place.
We said "What the heck" and started walking. It was warm and humid and we were soaked before we even made it out of DTD. Being too out of shape to run the whole way, (me, not my wife, as she is a runner) we slowed down and enjoyed the walk.
Hand-in-hand we laughed, wiped the rain out of our eyes and even sought out puddles to splash in like we were kids.
Thoroughly soaked, by the time we made it back to the room we were having so much fun we decided to stay out and play in the rain a bit more and just walked the grounds at SSR, taking in the early evening with hardly anyone around.
So much fun was had during that simple walk, we have repeated it when staying at Boardwalk and at Beach Club, though honestly the walk in the rain at Beach Club was later in the evening, it was raining much harder and it was slightly chilly, so that soaking stroll did not last as long and we probably should not have attempted it, but with no lightning we were not deterred.
Last September at BLT, we hoped for a slow, steady rain just to get out and walk in it, but alas, the weather was almost perfect the whole trip (certainly not complaining about perfect weather).
Anyway, that is my confession of our quirky behavior that bring us simple pleasure and fond memories.
Any resort specific memories or activities you would like to share?

mammaminnie

We are a Texas family and rain can be rare, so playing in the WDW rain storms regardless of how soft or strong are always on my kids list of things to do :)

We also try to take advantage of some of the recreational activities at the resorts like renting boats at Contemporary, or bikes from Boardwalk to enjoy some scenery outside of the parks. If we are staying at an EPCOT resort, we ALWAYS walk to DHS instead of taking the boat because the walk along the lake can be so peaceful.

mammaminnie

We don't try to dodge the rain either, whether at the resort or a park. We see everyone duck into a store or don a poncho, and we keep walking our merry way (unless it is a torrential downpour with lightning). It's only water people!!!!

Exactly!! We do carry the cheap disposable ponchos for torrential downpours, but that is the best time to ride rides so why run and hide.

cw1982

DH and I had a similar walk through a rain shower when we decided to go on a long walk on a trail in our area... we were four miles from the car when the downpour started, and no umbrellas. Good times!

Probably my funniest memory of similar caliber from our last trip (first week of June 2014) would be when we decided to hit the pool at the Pop about two hours before they closed for the evening. It had been hot (to us) in the parks all day, so we figured we'd hit the pool to cool off and relax.

"Cool off" we did indeed... but it was so cold in the water that we were shivering instead of relaxing! The lifeguard was even wearing a jacket that night... lol. So DH and I were huddled in a corner, shivering, staying right in front of a light in hopes of getting some warmth (which didn't help)... and we started laughing hysterically. The idea that we were getting our "cool dip in the pool" was just too funny, and we just kept looking at each other and laughing. It became one of those moments where we couldn't keep a straight face if we looked at each other, and every time we did, we'd laugh that much harder. I'm sure the lifeguard (and maybe other guests) thought we were drunk or worse... and that thought only made me laugh even more because we hadn't had a single drink that night.

Good times (that I don't plan to repeat again) ;)

epcotisbest

Original Poster
DH and I had a similar walk through a rain shower when we decided to go on a long walk on a trail in our area... we were four miles from the car when the downpour started, and no umbrellas. Good times!

Probably my funniest memory of similar caliber from our last trip (first week of June 2014) would be when we decided to hit the pool at the Pop about two hours before they closed for the evening. It had been hot (to us) in the parks all day, so we figured we'd hit the pool to cool off and relax.

"Cool off" we did indeed... but it was so cold in the water that we were shivering instead of relaxing! The lifeguard was even wearing a jacket that night... lol. So DH and I were huddled in a corner, shivering, staying right in front of a light in hopes of getting some warmth (which didn't help)... and we started laughing hysterically. The idea that we were getting our "cool dip in the pool" was just too funny, and we just kept looking at each other and laughing. It became one of those moments where we couldn't keep a straight face if we looked at each other, and every time we did, we'd laugh that much harder. I'm sure the lifeguard (and maybe other guests) thought we were drunk or worse... and that thought only made me laugh even more because we hadn't had a single drink that night.

Good times (that I don't plan to repeat again) ;)
Making memories like this always seem to mean more to us than a roller coaster ride. We too have been in a pool when it was much too cool. Yes, good times.

JIMINYCR

DW hates to get wet... being in a w/c she stays wet longer & cant dry off as well. So we avoid the rain & puddles as much as we can. Our resort habits lately at POFQ are to trade the first pin of the trip with the desk CM checking us in. Fill the first resort mug to the brim and toast the beginning of a wonderful trip along with a plate full of their wonderful beignets. Check out the resort gift shop for anything new. Then a relaxing boat ride down the Sassagoula river.

mammaminnie

DW hates to get wet... being in a w/c she stays wet longer & cant dry off as well. So we avoid the rain & puddles as much as we can. Our resort habits lately at POFQ are to trade the first pin of the trip with the desk CM checking us in. Fill the first resort mug to the brim and toast the beginning of a wonderful trip along with a plate full of their wonderful beignets. Check out the resort gift shop for anything new. Then a relaxing boat ride down the Sassagoula river.

I love that boat ride!!! So peaceful :)

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Understandable. I suppose I sometimes take for granted how truly blessed we are just to be able to splash in puddles. A simple pleasure I will appreciate even more. We too love the boat ride to DTD and POFQ and PORS.

BuddyThomas

It started quite by accident when staying at SSR. We had walked over to Downtown Disney and spent a good while there when it started raining. This was in September and it was not a typical afternoon pop up thunderstorm, but a gentle, steady, light rain that was clearly going to stick around for awhile. We made the best of it dodging in and out of shops and restaurants, but sooner or later we had to make the trek back to SSR and decided to walk back, same way we got there in the first place.
We said "What the heck" and started walking. It was warm and humid and we were soaked before we even made it out of DTD. Being too out of shape to run the whole way, (me, not my wife, as she is a runner) we slowed down and enjoyed the walk.
Hand-in-hand we laughed, wiped the rain out of our eyes and even sought out puddles to splash in like we were kids.
Thoroughly soaked, by the time we made it back to the room we were having so much fun we decided to stay out and play in the rain a bit more and just walked the grounds at SSR, taking in the early evening with hardly anyone around.
So much fun was had during that simple walk, we have repeated it when staying at Boardwalk and at Beach Club, though honestly the walk in the rain at Beach Club was later in the evening, it was raining much harder and it was slightly chilly, so that soaking stroll did not last as long and we probably should not have attempted it, but with no lightning we were not deterred.
Last September at BLT, we hoped for a slow, steady rain just to get out and walk in it, but alas, the weather was almost perfect the whole trip (certainly not complaining about perfect weather).
Anyway, that is my confession of our quirky behavior that bring us simple pleasure and fond memories.
Any resort specific memories or activities you would like to share?
I love this story. Good for you for making the best of a "bad" situation. In all honestly, I probably would have gotten pretty grouchy about this situation, but reading something like this makes you stop and think. You're at Disney. You're with your loved ones. It's just water.

Thanks for posting!

epcotisbest

Original Poster
I love this story. Good for you for making the best of a "bad" situation. In all honestly, I probably would have gotten pretty grouchy about this situation, but reading something like this makes you stop and think. You're at Disney. You're with your loved ones. It's just water.

Thanks for posting!
Thank you.

DisneyDaver

How about a walking story instead of a resort story ...

A couple years ago my parents took the whole family to WDW for a week. One night we left Teppan Edo very late and had the long walk back to the Monorail.

My 3 year old nephew was exhausted and half asleep so my brother carried him and the 2 other kids (ages 7 and 5 were clearly losing steam). I decided to try to inject a little life into our group and make the walk go by faster by singing the Scottish folk song Aiken Drum.

My 7 year old niece and 5 year old nephew got into it quickly and the 3 year old started to perk up in my brothers arms. A few minutes later he wanted to walk and join his siblings in singing. Next thing my whole family (all 9 of us) were walking through the park and singing.

Then a group of early 20 something girls who were walking behind us started to join in on the song.

We sang all the way to the gate ... about 1/2 hour walk. My Dad (the grandpa) says that walk was his favorite memory of the week-long WDW trip. Great memories!

epcotisbest

Original Poster
How about a walking story instead of a resort story ...

A couple years ago my parents took the whole family to WDW for a week. One night we left Teppan Edo very late and had the long walk back to the Monorail.

My 3 year old nephew was exhausted and half asleep so my brother carried him and the 2 other kids (ages 7 and 5 were clearly losing steam). I decided to try to inject a little life into our group and make the walk go by faster by singing the Scottish folk song Aiken Drum.

My 7 year old niece and 5 year old nephew got into it quickly and the 3 year old started to perk up in my brothers arms. A few minutes later he wanted to walk and join his siblings in singing. Next thing my whole family (all 9 of us) were walking through the park and singing.

Then a group of early 20 something girls who were walking behind us started to join in on the song.

We sang all the way to the gate ... about 1/2 hour walk. My Dad (the grandpa) says that walk was his favorite memory of the week-long WDW trip. Great memories!
Sounds (see what I did there) like fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom