Polynesian, Contemporary, or Wilderness Lodge?

lincolnryan

Original Poster
My wife and I are taking our 3 young kids (ages 6, 4.5, 3.5) to disney for the first time. My wife and I have gone in the past and stayed at Polynesian and we loved it; primarily because of the ability to hop on/off the monorail and the overall theme of the hotel. Just knowing how long it can take when you're toting around a few little kids and the duration of our trip (only 4 nights), we are wanting to be closest to where we'll spend the most amount of time.

We are going in late Jan because I've heard that the crowds are the least during those times. It sounds like the pool at Polynesian MIGHT be closed (either just finished or almost done) and doesn't look like any construction at Wilderness or Contemporary. I know Jan is not necessarily pool weather, but it is kinda nice to have the option open as long as you're there.

Between the 3 that I've priced out, WL is the cheapest, Contemp is $200 more for the entire stay, and Poly is $200 more than contemp, so overall not a huge difference.

Given all of that, what would you all recommend? I think I'm leaning towards Polynesian just because, although WL looks beautiful and I'm sure the boat ride is really quick, there is something that seems faster about a monorail (maybe it's the set schedule and no waiting for someone to run to the boat...correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, are dining plans pretty much a must-have? I have 3 picky little eaters so I'd be paying for the dining plan for 5 people. Seems expensive, but I heard that the prices are so pricey that you kind of need to. Thoughts?

slappy magoo

The Polynesian is undergoing extensive rehab right now so you may want to find out where they will be in the process before booking. It may not be a pleasant stay.
Right. Poly could be close to finished. But if not, it won't be nearly as nice a stay.

The Wilderness Lodge would probably be more impressive to your kids; Contemporary has some nice little Disney flourishes but the theme of Wilderness is truly more immersive. But, what Contemporary has going for it, big time, is proximity. You don't even need to monorail to MK, it's a 10-minute walk. Monorail to TTC to transfer to Epcot. Monorail to Poly and GF for character or other meals; whereas a stay at Wilderness would require a boat or bus to MK or Contemporary first and a transfer, and if you have meal reservations the less you have to travel the better. Plus, there is also a boat from Contemporary to WL and Fort Wilderness so you can do meals or resort hop there as well (without having to transfer). If the littler ones need to crash early, one parent can still take the 6 year old back to the MK at night, or just to one of the outside areas in the resort where you can see fireworks or the Electric Water Pageant. If you're choosing between those 2, I think the Contemporary has enough going for it to justify the extra money.

MaryJaneP

We have stayed at Poly, and stayed at Contemporary, as well as visited Wilderness numerous times in the past. First choice would be Poly except during construction. With the two remaining, agree with above characterizations that Wilderness is way more detailed, cheaper, and more fun. Contemporary is more convenient, blander, and more expensive. Given the time (January), walking/boating may be somewhat colder than planned, especially early in AM and late at night. Your choice will be best for you. Enjoy

Scott10

Taking 3 kids along at those ages I'm assuming = having a stroller......one big bonus with being at the Contemporary would be using the monorail and not having to collapse the stroller going to and from the parks. My family stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and loved it, but I have always wanted a stay at the Contemporary...I know many people say that it isn't Disney themed, but to me, when I think of a Disney resort, I immediately see the Contemporary with the monorail running through it.

lincolnryan

Original Poster
Right. Poly could be close to finished. But if not, it won't be nearly as nice a stay.

The Wilderness Lodge would probably be more impressive to your kids; Contemporary has some nice little Disney flourishes but the theme of Wilderness is truly more immersive. But, what Contemporary has going for it, big time, is proximity. You don't even need to monorail to MK, it's a 10-minute walk. Monorail to TTC to transfer to Epcot. Monorail to Poly and GF for character or other meals; whereas a stay at Wilderness would require a boat or bus to MK or Contemporary first and a transfer, and if you have meal reservations the less you have to travel the better. Plus, there is also a boat from Contemporary to WL and Fort Wilderness so you can do meals or resort hop there as well (without having to transfer). If the littler ones need to crash early, one parent can still take the 6 year old back to the MK at night, or just to one of the outside areas in the resort where you can see fireworks or the Electric Water Pageant. If you're choosing between those 2, I think the Contemporary has enough going for it to justify the extra money.

That's very interesting. I guess I didn't realize that you can walk from to MK from the contemporary. I stayed in the Contemporary as a kid and loved it, but back in 2008 I walked through it and it wasn't as impressive as I remembered, but the ability to walk is something that would be nice. I've talked to other people that say that WL is a quick boat ride and really no big deal, but I feel like the closer the better.

While I'm just throwing these hotels out, does anyone think that the Grand Floridian would be something to consider? I didn't include it originally because I assumed it just looked too fancy for kids that small.

MaryJaneP

Other than Monorail to MK, we fail to see any advantage that would argue in favor of a family with young kids staying at Grand Floridian. We wouldn't consider it in the mix at all.

Tinkerbell397

Taking 3 kids along at those ages I'm assuming = having a stroller......one big bonus with being at the Contemporary would be using the monorail and not having to collapse the stroller going to and from the parks. My family stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and loved it, but I have always wanted a stay at the Contemporary...I know many people say that it isn't Disney themed, but to me, when I think of a Disney resort, I immediately see the Contemporary with the monorail running through it.
I agree 1000% @Scott10. When I think of Disney, I think of the monorail going though the CR. I have stayed at The Poly, The WL and The CR.....my favorite since our first trip with our kids when they were 3 and 5. The monorail and access to other resorts and dining at those resorts is priceless. If you stay at the WL (lovely in it's own right), you will need to close your stroller to ride the busses and boats. You do not need to close your stroller for the monorail so if your little one falls asleep at the park, you can hop the monorail and the only transfer will be to his/her bed. (of course AK and DHS is a bus ride).
I cannot advise you on the dining plan. We have only used it when it was free so I have not done the math to see if it is worth paying for...maybe someone else can advise.
Have a Magical Trip and you have come to the right place for advise. :cat:

tigger1968

I would vote for CR. I have stayed at all of them in the past, and love the Poly, but the construction there sounds nightmarish. WL is a beautiful resort and I do agree that it may be more appealing to kids, but the boat ride could be an issue. It's a great trip, but the waits can vary, and weather can be an issue that time of year, and the stroller issue has been mentioned. I vote CR. Easy ride on the monorail, and an easy walk as well. If you are staying in the tower (not mentioned), the MK view is amazing (and now a hefty upcharge....but worth it IMHO), but even without it, I would say do the CR. I love being able to walk out of my room in the tower, zip down an elevator, and be on my way to MK in just a couple of minutes. :D

I cannot speak to the Dining Plan, as we have never done it.

zurgandfriend

I have to agree with the others. the CR is a great resort close to the Magic Kingdom and on the monorail and with 3 small children it would be your best bet. That said I also agree the kids would love the WL, I recommend staying at the CR but book a meal at Whispering Canyon to have some fun and check out the lodge.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I've talked to other people that say that WL is a quick boat ride and really no big deal, but I feel like the closer the better.
There is also a direct bus option from WL to MK. It takes less than 5 minutes and we find it to be quicker and more convenient (though less picturesque) than the boat ride.

I would say the wilderness lodge has better theming however there isn't a monorail but there is a bus to MK as well as a boats to CR and MK. But I would probably stay at CR because that would be easier with younger children because of the monorail but I would go to the whispering canyon for a meal on a night at the WL. But all are good resorts.

sgtmgd

IMO while you have 3 kids and will be using a stroller the monorail runs to the MK..yes you can go to the TTC to transfer to another monorail and get to Epcot. I have stayed at both the POLY and Contemp..here is where it gets tricky and I apologize. I wouldnt look at either of those choices including Wilderness Lodge (only due to the pool be under construction).

Look at the Boardwalk, Beach club, or Yacht Club particularly the Yacht or beach club for access to Storm along bay easily the best pool complex on the Disney's properties. All 3 of these resorts are kid friendly and all sit next to each other..there are TONS of fantastic restaurants in those 3 resorts and TONS of things for Kids to do. Epcot is a 5-10 minute walk...DHS is a 15-20 walk..OR you can catch a boat ride to either place..Pricing will be less than Poly and Contemp..all 3 of those resorts have plenty of dedicated buses to MK and AK. You wont be disappointed at either of these resorts..(note beach and Yacht only have access to Storm along bay)

Dining plan..this is always a Republican V Democrat argument..

Im an advocate as I prefer having everything paid for upfront and not worrying about what the kids order or adults for that matter. Depending on the plan you have a great amount of flexibility.. REGARDLESS if you get a plan or not MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW! have an idea of what days you are going to be in what parts taking into account Magic Hours..

When using the dining plan gratuities are not included in your sit down meals so be aware.. also for us..we like to do a sit down dinner and eat a good meal in the afternoon to recharge and relax before the nighttime excursion in to the park we are at..If we do a signature restaurant its nice to not worry about pricing..Disney food is not cheap by any standpoint and there are Tons of great places to eat..

orky8

CR, absolutely. And the person who said the CR is not kid friendly is dead wrong. There are kids everywhere, not to mention, Chef Mickey's is there, and the monorail + walking to MK makes it the MOST kid friendly hotel there is.

Poly construction makes that a no-go to me, and while Wilderness has themeing, your younger kids aren't likely to be impressed and/or would be equally impressed with the monorail running through the hotel. There is a reason almost every WDW commercial shows the CR. And yet, people say it doesn't feel like Disney :rolleyes:

jlsHouston

Wl pool might still be closed in Jan for the refurb. WL is a great place with kids, but I think of your 3 choices I would take the CR for and end of January visit.

totaldisneygirl

I've been staying at the CR since I was a kid and it is still my favorite resort. So many childhood memories there with Chef Mickeys, the arcade, the monorail, the little shops, and everything. I would 100% recommend it. If not, the WL is equally as amazing and I have memories of staying there as a child as well. The problem with the Poly is, of course, the refurb. If you'd like to go check it out maybe to get a feel for it and see how your kids enjoy it, take them to a character breakfast at Ohana!

HouCuseChickie

If memory serves correctly, the rooms at WL only sleep 4. We stayed there back when our girls were 2 and 4 and we were miserably cramped. The rooms at WL are noticeably smaller than the other options you've noted + the other options sleep 5. The Poly has a lot of construction going on, but I'm a Contemporary fan and would push for that regardless. It's such an easy walk back and forth to MK, it's also easy to take the monorail to the TTC to grab the one to Epcot, and you can take the boat from the Contemporary to WL if you want to show them the pretty lobby there.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If memory serves correctly, the rooms at WL only sleep 4. We stayed there back when our girls were 2 and 4 and we were miserably cramped. The rooms at WL are noticeably smaller than the other options you've noted + the other options sleep 5. The Poly has a lot of construction going on, but I'm a Contemporary fan and would push for that regardless. It's such an easy walk back and forth to MK, it's also easy to take the monorail to the TTC to grab the one to Epcot, and you can take the boat from the Contemporary to WL if you want to show them the pretty lobby there.
You are right, WL rooms only sleep 4. @lincolnryan would need to book a suite at WL to accommodate his family of 5, since his youngest is 3.5 (and would not be in a crib.)

Tinkerbell397

I agree with @2HouCuseChickie..... I found the rooms at the WL small. The last time we sent, I requested a room overlooking the lobby with a king bed and pool view. Well....we got the pool view and lobby location but my husband and I got a bunk bed room. I know it was the same size at the other rooms with 2 queens or a king, but the bunks closed the room off....you walked in the door, bathroom on your left, closet on your right and "boom".....the rails of the bunk beds. My husband and I did not need bunks so I called the front desk and they were unable to move us. The WiFi was also spotty at best. We were unable to get a connection in our room at all, and a spotty connection on our balcony. The lobby was the only place we were able to connect without trouble. Even if the rooms at the CR were not bigger, and they are, they give the feeling of space due to the furnishings.....contemporary and low profile. The WL beds, dresser and desk are all heavy, dark and make to simulate logs as in a lodge or log cabin. All in all....The CR has been and always be my choice. Now...maybe you should consider The BC, YC or BW for it's proximity to Epcot....a walk or boat ride. Enjoy the Planning! :cat:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom