Too Casual attire at WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuzcotopia

Original Poster
I wear skirts and dresses with biking shorts underneath. they are comfortable, cool and with the shorts, no accidental over exposures during a breezy period.

I wear makeup as well, I like having nice photos and I like the way I look with makeup. Unlike your wife I don't call people names who choose not to wear makeup. If I were you I'd worry less about how other people would judge you and maybe advise your wife it isn't very nice to judge other people.

Also if she looks like a circus clown with makeup on, she's doing it wrong.

She's doing it wrong.

Reactions: Tom

KAAAAAHN

I wear what I want and I give to craps what people think. If people judge me, that's on them.

If you see a guy running around a deluxe hotel with running shorts on with latex paint drops all over them from painting one's house ... that's probably me. I know I look like a bum to some people.

Having said that ... I dress for comfort when it's typically 90 degrees and humid. I wear cargo shorts because quite frankly the extra pockets that button, velcro or zip closed are AWESOME for your wallet and smartphone when on rides. I will be wearing wicking T-shirts this year. Basically what I wear when running. I did buy an extra collared one that i could wear to work on hot days though.

I got some Tevas for the feet because flip flops do not strap and stay on your foot like Tevas strap on. And quite frankly, they are as comfortable as sneakers.

Toss on whatever hat I buy at DTD Disney the first day and I'm off.

And if you really care to know, I wear boxer-briefs underneath to prevent shafing between my legs.

KAAAAAHN

We are also like most everyone here. Shorts & T-Shirts with crocs in the parks, but dressier if we are going to a better restaurant. We do like to dress up for some dinners, so will always pack the extra clothes (dockers, button down shirts and dresses) for those occasions.

Ya, this is somewhat true for the fancier restaurants.

We did one once. Heck, our group had 4 kids ages 1 through 7 along with 6 adults. When we went so we were loud. I quite frankly could give two craps. We had fun and if people don't want kids to have fun at Disney, screw em. But ya. The fancier restaurants tend to have fewer kids. More of a honeymooner/anniversary type of clientele.

To quote my father though who is an ex-lawyer. You will never feel out of place if you over dress.

SyracuseDisneyFan

My family and I stayed at Bay Lake Tower for 5 nights back in May. I always wore a T-Shirt and jean shorts, like I do at home when I'm not at work.

WDWVolFan

I have experienced what I would consider negative treatment in the past, not due to my clothing, rather due to the fact that my leg is covered in tattoos. I felt this way most strongly when my sister, who also has tatttoos, and I dined at the Cape May Cafe. I didn't let it bother me though, so you shouldn't either. So, go ahead and wear whatever you are most comfortable wearing!

Really? People still discriminate against tattoos? I have tats too on my legs and I couldn't care less if people get bothered by them. Good for you for not letting that get to you.

psukardi

Really? People still discriminate against tattoos? I have tats too on my legs and I couldn't care less if people get bothered by them. Good for you for not letting that get to you.

I think it depends on where the tattoos are located. If you have a tattoo on your shoulder or leg or something like that - I could not care less. But once you get into the neck & face region - I start to question your judgement on certain things. I know it's "art" but man - eye drop tattoos and barbed wire on the neck doesn't scream out smart to me

WDWVolFan

I think it depends on where the tattoos are located. If you have a tattoo on your shoulder or leg or something like that - I could not care less. But once you get into the neck & face region - I start to question your judgement on certain things. I know it's "art" but man - eye drop tattoos and barbed wire on the neck doesn't scream out smart to me

Oh I see your point, that's why all of mine still allow me to wear short sleeve shirts to work and only show if I'm shirtless or wearing shorts.

Funny enough I know a guy who interviewed someone for a logistics position who had ROCKSTAR tattooed across his neck...he asked the prospective employee: how would a trucker rep take you seriously with that across your neck? And the dude's response: They will once they see I'm a true rockstar...

I still laugh about that one!

Chernaboggles

A lot of people feel slightly intimidated or judged in fancy or pricey surroundings - it's normal. The thing to remember is that truly classy people and places try to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome, no matter what they're wearing. Use common sense and remember that it's a family park, (read: leave the fishnet catsuit at home!) but unless there's a stated dress code, I would worry more about avoiding blisters and sunburn than meeting some kind of unspoken standard, even at the most expensive resorts.

SagamoreBeach

I love to see a nicely done tattoo. My issue with tattoos comes from where on the body they are located and then the trying to dress to show off the tattoo. Some folks who really should be covering up are now wearing less and less to show off the tatts. On most people...this is not very flattering.

GrammieBee

As long as you are neat and clean you are in fine shape in shorts and a Tshirt, If you are going in the summer take plenty of changes. Especially of shirts and underware as you wil SWEAT. If you are going in the late fall or winter months you will need slacks and sweaters or jackets as it can get downright cold in the evenings. If you are going to dinner in a better restaurant you might want to consider slacks and a polo. Or a skirt and blouse for the lady. But that is up to you because you like to look nice and want to be slightly better dressed in a more upscale place. Others won't care; most will be in shorts, and some will be slobs.

You obviously care about how you look, but there are people that should, and people that shouldn't wear certain types of clothing or lack there of. Some people walk by leaving others wondering "what were they thinking", or"don't they ever look in a mirror?" Unfortunately, those people haven't a clue. Or, maybe they don't care that they are a source of enterrtainment for others..

Last edited:

Chernaboggles

You are obviously not one of them, but there are people that should, and people that shouldn't wear certain types of clothing or lack there of. Some people walk by leaving others wondering "what were they thinking", or"don't they ever look in a mirror?" Unfortunately, those people haven't a clue. Or, maybe they don't care that they are a source of enterrtainment for others..

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! It's a very short step from "Some people shouldn't wear bikini tops" to "Nobody wants to see THAT!"...which is a problem, because "THAT" is a person. A human being with feelings and opinions and circumstances of which we, the observing stranger, are not aware.

I've said this before: we're all being judged, all the time, wherever we go. Young, old, pretty, ugly, short hair, long hair, no hair, tattoos, piercings, overweight, underweight, headscarf, cross, plain dress, designer label, clown nose...these things don't matter at all in the substance of a person's character. It's super tempting to look at people and make fun of anyone whose appearance doesn't match our personal idea of what they "should" look like, but honestly, it's wasted energy. As we say in the pre-k business: Be kind to everyone and worry about yourself.

I mean, come on, it's Disney World. Not a one of us has any room to throw stones here: no matter what we're wearing, we're all deliberately hanging out at a place that celebrates a mouse without a shirt and a duck who wears no pants.

:)

hull327

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! It's a very short step from "Some people shouldn't wear bikini tops" to "Nobody wants to see THAT!"...which is a problem, because "THAT" is a person. A human being with feelings and opinions and circumstances of which we, the observing stranger, are not aware.

I've said this before: we're all being judged, all the time, wherever we go. Young, old, pretty, ugly, short hair, long hair, no hair, tattoos, piercings, overweight, underweight, headscarf, cross, plain dress, designer label, clown nose...these things don't matter at all in the substance of a person's character. It's super tempting to look at people and make fun of anyone whose appearance doesn't match our personal idea of what they "should" look like, but honestly, it's wasted energy. As we say in the pre-k business: Be kind to everyone and worry about yourself.

I mean, come on, it's Disney World. Not a one of us has any room to throw stones here: no matter what we're wearing, we're all deliberately hanging out at a place that celebrates a mouse without a shirt and a duck who wears no pants.

:)
So nudity should be allowed because we don't know their circumstances? All I'm asking for is decency in the park and not a strict dress code.

Chernaboggles

So nudity should be allowed because we don't know their circumstances? All I'm asking for is decency in the park and not a strict dress code.

Pretty sure nudity is illegal in Florida, and I'm totally fine with WDW making rules to prohibit obscenities on shirts and things like that. I think it's common courtesy not to be naked or close-to-naked (see above about fishnet catsuit) in a family park, but when you get into simple aesthetics, that's the slippery slope.

Don't get me wrong - I can be as judgmental as the next person. But I try to be aware of it, and check it before anything comes out of my mouth. We see on here how uncomfortable people get and how much we all worry about what "people will say". My point is just that there's no way to please everybody, and the world is a nicer place when we try not to make a big deal about what other folks choose to wear.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have experienced what I would consider negative treatment in the past, not due to my clothing, rather due to the fact that my leg is covered in tattoos. I felt this way most strongly when my sister, who also has tatttoos, and I dined at the Cape May Cafe. I didn't let it bother me though, so you shouldn't either. So, go ahead and wear whatever you are most comfortable wearing!
That surprises me. My wife and I both have tattoos that show when we are in shorts and t-shirts, but we have not experienced any negative treatment. I've actually received compliments on a few of mine, even from CMs!

PigletIsMyCat

woah, woah, woah. it seems a fair amount of people here judge others based on what they wear, their makeup, and their tattoo choices. face and neck tattoos are 'too much'? bullcrap - i have my eyebrows tattooed and they look *amazing*. too much makeup makes me look like a clown? tough toenails - i don't wear makeup FOR YOU or for other people - i wear makeup because I want to. you don't want to see my fat a$$ in leggings and a tank? TURN AROUND. just because i'm a size 22 doesn't mean i can't wear a bikini - and i do. i'm brining it to disney with me. i wear WHAT I WANT because what i wear is about what I AM COMFORTABLE IN - not what you're comfortable with looking at me in.

places have rules - no nudity, no baggy pants, no bikini tops, no profanity - that's fine. disney is private property and a family place so i would be curious if they *did not* ban nudity and profanity. if my favorite pair of skinny jeans has paint on the leg but i love them, i'm going to wear them to the parks. if it's a million degrees outside and i'm going to be in the parks all day, i'm wearing a tank top - with or without a bra, that's my business NOT YOURS - and letting my fat arms rock out because it's what I AM COMFORTABLE IN.

stop policing people's bodies and worry about your own. if you're comfortable in your own skin and do what's right for you, you won't feel the need to judge others. maybe if this country didn't overly sexualize the female form people wouldn't be freaking out about breastfeeding in public, or old ladies choosing not to wear bras for whatever reason they want, or lose their mind when a woman wears shorts with a crop top or bikini top in public. my body is not here for you to objectify, and if you do that's your problem. /endrant.

zurgandfriend

Be comfortable and wear what suits you. I always wear a shirt with a collar as I don't feel good in a T-shirt. I also won't wear shorts on the plane but that's me.

Pocahontas

Just wear what you want! It'll be 90 degrees and everybody else will be wearing shorts and a t-shirt!

The level of your resort doesn't matter when it comes to dressing yourself. Just don't wear anything obscene, inappropriate, or too revealing. Nobody is judging you, because I assure all the other guests will be dressed identically.

The only time you would need to dress fancier is at a nice restaurant where you have made reservations. You might be treated differently if you wear a t-shirt to V&A's.

doctornick

IMHO, I don't see a reason to have you choice of hotel affect what you wear. One should dress based on one's activities for the day -- if you have a business meeting, you need to dress for that; if you are playing tennis or going to the pool, you would have an entirely different attire. I'm going to dress nicer going to an art museum or opera than I would going to a sporting event or *gasp* theme park.

Thus I agree with the general consensus: if you are going to the parks, wear what is comfortable. Be mindful of the weather. It is appropriate to get more dressed up for a sit down meal, especially the finer ones in the hotels. But the people who judge others because they are wearing a T-shirt while staying at the Grand Floridian are IMHO silly -- you are at a theme park/vacation resort and expecting folks to dress up for that doesn't make sense. I am all for the idea of "dressing for the occasion", but I don't think that a hotel you are staying at determines the appropriateness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom