What Was Your Upgrade?

mpeters

Original Poster
Forgive me if this isn't in the right forum. I had replied to another thread and it got me thinking of this topic. Have you ever received an upgrade and what was it? How did you receive it? Was it due to an issue you were having or was it just because you had a great experience with a cast member? Here is what happened to us one time:

We were staying at POLY and had asked prior to us arriving to stay in Samoa facing the pool on the 2nd floor. The year before we stayed in there with our twins (15mos at the time) and they loved being on the balcony watching the pool. Well when we got to the reservation desk and we had inquired about our request, the person at the desk said our request couldn't be fulfilled and was very apologetic about it. We told her why we requested it and it was really no big deal at all. We understood it was just simply a request. A look of relief came over her and she started asking us about our kids (how cute they were, names, etc) as well as how many times we have come to wdw etc. We were happily talking to her. At the end she said that we were all set and she that she enjoyed talking to us so much and laughing at my sons in the stroller (they were hams for pretty girls) that she gave us something better than our request. She actually upgraded us to concierge level. It was an awesome thing and wasn't even a remote thought on our part. Every day after that we would go through the lobby to go on our daily adventure and if we saw her we would make it a point to stop by and have the kids blow her kisses which this cast member absolutely loved.

DizneyPryncess

That's a great story! I love to hear about things like this.

We were upgraded once, and at first we didn't even realize it. Our first anniversary was our first stay at the Boardwalk Villas. We had booked a studio because it was the cheapest room, but I never actually looked up what the rooms looked like. We checked in, we had no requests made. The CM was really nice, he gave us anniversary buttons and sent us on our way. When we opened our room, it was a 1 bedroom villa instead of a studio. At first, we just thought the room was much bigger than we'd expected. But then we pulled up our computer, and looked up the rooms and realized we'd been upgraded! It was such a nice surprise. I didn't even realize that this was done at the time.:)

Gullywhumper

That's a great story! I love to hear about things like this.

We were upgraded once, and at first we didn't even realize it. Our first anniversary was our first stay at the Boardwalk Villas. We had booked a studio because it was the cheapest room, but I never actually looked up what the rooms looked like. We checked in, we had no requests made. The CM was really nice, he gave us anniversary buttons and sent us on our way. When we opened our room, it was a 1 bedroom villa instead of a studio. At first, we just thought the room was much bigger than we'd expected. But then we pulled up our computer, and looked up the rooms and realized we'd been upgraded! It was such a nice surprise. I didn't even realize that this was done at the time.:)
I think it's really nice that CM's would do this for people, even if they don't know them.

belledream

We were staying at Beach Club in 2004 when Hurricane Charley hit. They closed some parks early, AK didn't open at all one day if I remember correctly. Flights were cancelled, characters did M&Gs in the lobby, in short - it was very exciting for a kid. We had to stay an extra 3 nights, which my brother and I were like :D and our parents were like :greedy:. Anyways, we had paid for a standard room, but they gave us a room on the concierge level for the same price! I ate a lot of Smartfood popcorn...

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Our last trip to POR we went with the wife's family so we had 2 rooms they all got held up in ques so we went and checked in on finding our room it was ground floor over looking the bayou and luck would have it a smoking spot practically at the front door.

We didn't think much of it until the mother in law rang, we told her where we were and she came for a look round and started complaining how much better our room was (she was on the first floor/second floor for America's) and we must of paid for a upgrade she still thinks to this day we paid for a upgrade and thinks we are not fair for giving her the room instead lol.

zurgandfriend

Many moons ago as my ancestors’ say, DW and I went to WDW for our “Disney moon” the manager greets us in the lobby, asks where we’re from, why we are visiting etc. says something to the cast member checking us in and low and behold we get upgraded from the south garden wing to the tower. When we go back to our room later that night there was a gift basket with flowers, fruit, chocolate and 2 “nips” of Bailey’s for a toast.

Dafid Duck

For our 20th anniversary trip money was tight. We were a few days away from leaving and my wife made one last check on our reservations on the phone. It turned out there was some sort of confusion and our park tickets for the eight day stay were no longer listed. To top it off, there was a notation saying our bank account was credited for the amount but it would take several days for the transfer to go through. After several conversations with supervisors and many tears later, they put the park tickets back on the account FOR FREE! We got the bank transfer the day we left and suddenly we had spending money for trip! Not only that, when we checked into Port Orleans Riverside standard room, we told the CM it was our 20th anniversary. (Our 15 year old daughter was with us as well.) She asked us if we would want an upgrade to the princess room. Definately! The room had just enough theming and the fireworks lights built into the headboards were incredible. We had so much fun that trip!

ninjaprincesst

the last three times we have gone to the Wilderness Lodge we have been upgrade to courtyard view rooms,we were booked for Wilderness Lodge this year I sent an email complaining about not being told about the pool closure when we booked, the other day Disney called and they upgraded us to the Contemporary for the same amount we were paying for the wilderness lodge.

Laura Stackle

We went to Contemporary Resort for a conference with my husband's work. We were checking in and I could see several people come up and stand right behind us with balloons. We were selected as one of the "Families of the Day" and we were upgraded from a garden wing room to a tower room to a Magic Kingdom view. We had a great view of the fireworks everynight as well as the water parade. It was pretty cool!

slappy magoo

This past June, we had 3 Little Mermaid rooms booked at AoA for the night before our cruise. They upgraded all 3 rooms to Cars suites! Loved the two bathrooms and the master bedroom!
My suspicion is that lots of people want to stay at AoA, but the suites are still too pricey for most folk, and those that can afford the suites would still prefer adjoining rooms at a moderate at least. So the Little Mermaid rooms keep getting overbooked, and as a result, they keep upgrading some people to the suites.
Which is great for folks like you, please don't think I'm begrudging your luck.

disney4life2008

My suspicion is that lots of people want to stay at AoA, but the suites are still too pricey for most folk, and those that can afford the suites would still prefer adjoining rooms at a moderate at least. So the Little Mermaid rooms keep getting overbooked, and as a result, they keep upgrading some people to the suites.
Which is great for folks like you, please don't think I'm begrudging your luck.

I am confused how AoA is considered value (or is it not)? Every room there seems to be very expensive

slappy magoo

I am confused how AoA is considered value (or is it not)? Every room there seems to be very expensive

First of all there's "value," and there's "Value," meaning Disney's classification of a "Value" room or resort.

AoA is classified Value rooms and Value suites. 3 of the 4 sections are suites only - Cars, Lion King and Finding Nemo. Only the Little Mermaid section has standard rooms. As a result the suites are of course way more expensive than a standard Value room and most Moderate rooms and probably even some Deluxe rooms, but they sleep 6 (versus 4 or 5) have 2 bathrooms and a kitchenette. If you're married and have more than 2 kids and want to keep the family together, that's a big deal. Being able to make at least some basic meals. Having 2 bathrooms to get people to the parks faster in the morning, etc. But even the Little Mermaid rooms are currently more expensive than other rooms at the "Value" level because they're new and in high demand; after a few years, the novelty might wear off and they will be more in line with prices of other regular standard Value rooms, and suites might also be closer in price to say the All Star Music suites. Supply and demand and all that - I was looking for a one-night stay in a Value or a moderate the night before my official checkin at BLT. The room prices are varying at each classification based on availability - Port Orleans French Quarter was like 40 bucks more than Riverside, which was about 8 bucks more than Coronado which was about 10 bucks more than Caribbean. Likewise, in Values, Little Mermaid AoA rooms are about 130/nt, All Star Movies about $110, Pop about $102 and All Star Sports or Music were under $100, I think $92.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom