New Nearby Disneyland Dining Option - Anaheim Packing House

TP2000

Original Poster
This week I went to the Anaheim Packing House and was truly impressed by the options there. And while it's primarily aimed at locals in OC, it could obviously be a dining option for adventurous Disneyland visitors looking for something off-property or outside of the tourist bubble.

What is the Anaheim Packing House, you ask? It's a 21st century hipster haven that is modeled after the famous 19th and 20th century food halls in the big cities of Europe and South America. It's in downtown Anaheim, about a mile north of the Disneyland Resort District just off Harbor Blvd. The Packing House is the old restored citrus packing house that farmers and local citrus growers used to visit weekly to sell their produce and oranges to the railroads to be shipped in refrigerated cars back east. It was this produce that made Orange County famous in the early 20th century.

The Anaheim Packing House - Reborn for the 21st century
anaheim-packing-house-grand-opening.jpg

But now the Packing House is in the middle of the emerging hipster neighborhood of downtown Anaheim, near the Center Street bistros and cafes and across from the Anaheim Brewery and Umami Burger restaurant. Inside the Packing House there are about a dozen restaurants or dining counters, with lots of tables and chair inside and outside for dining. Think of it as a big multi-level food court at a mall, except without the corporate chains serving steam table slop and questionable burgers.

Packing House Interior Dining - So Hip It Hurts
inside-packing-district-anaheim.jpg

You park in one of the adjacent surface lots, or side street parking, or the parking structure about a block and a half north. Then you wander in and find this funky two-level space with over a dozen restaurants and bars and food stands around the perimeter. There are also a few grocery-type shops; an incredibly high end butcher (that sold me the best ribeye steak I've ever had outside of a Ruth's Chris), a spice shop, a seafood merchant, etc. But mostly it's about grabbing food and eating it there.

There's a small stage where live bands play. And lots of little indoor/outdoor nooks to sit with a coffee or gourmet popsicle and just chill out and watch the hipsters go by.
IMG_5518.JPG

anaheim-packing-house-orange-county8.jpg

The outdoor dining is found on the south and east sides of the building, on either converted flatbed rail cars with jazz playing...
14311351054_f37ccd2935.jpg

Or in several outdoor garden spaces for dining and socializing...
02-anaheim-california-landscape-farmers-park-kensmith-archpaper.jpg

The restaurants inside range from Indian to French to Georgia Soul to Japanese to Fish n' Chips to Hot Pot to Organic Vegan to Italian to Ice Cream. The nice thing is that large groups or families can go different directions and then all meet back with their various finds and personal tastes for a big group dinner.

Be advised however that the longest lines are to be found at Popbar, the gourmet custom popsicle stand on the upper level. Gourmet cupcakes for dessert? That is so 2009! Anyone cool is now seen with a custom made popsicle from Popbar.

After you've waited in line, you choose your base bar from the case...
mpujgl-b781141589z.120130712161055000ga21eser8.1.jpg

And then choose what you want it dipped or coated with. There's a thousand combinations...
l.jpg

Speaking of bars, for those with more adult tastes (hic!), there's also a few bars in the Packing House.

A couple bars are just out in the open amongst the other restaurants and food stands...
GypsyDenAnaheim.jpg

But there's also a hidden speakeasy in the basement called The Blind Rabbit. I'm not making this up!

The Blind Rabbit is entered via a hidden door behind these fake packing crates on hinges, and then you have to get past the doorman by not looking or acting like a tax agent and knowing the password. The password to get in changes daily and is posted on their Instagram page. http://instagram.com/theblindrabbit
blind-rabbit-speakeasy.jpg

But once you get in to The Blind Rabbit you are rewarded with some truly fantastic Prohibition-era cocktails (think Bourbon and Rye and Gin instead of tasteless Vodka) using only the freshest ingredients and artisanal liquors often made in California. They also have fantastic gourmet bar food; I had the Duck Confit Mac n' Cheese which was just as good as the Truffled Mac n' Cheese at Napa Rose.

The Blind Rabbit - A Speakeasy worth the hassle!
brabbit.jpg

The Anaheim Packing House is open 7 days a week until at least 10:00PM, later on weekends. It's a short drive north of Disneyland up Harbor Blvd. and then over to Anaheim Blvd. at Santa Ana Street. https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...e!3m1!1s0x80dcd6300af25233:0xf65e69ebf52e0682

new-parking-map-sm21.jpg

It's a liberating dining option for foodies visiting Disneyland or locals alike!

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, TP! This looks so cool, I need to check this out.

It can be very busy on weekends, but it's worth a look for pre or post Disneyland visits.

On Sundays they have a Farmers Market in the park next door until mid afternoon.
77713cc3969bbc3dd851686d5ab61dd7.jpg

But after the market clears out things calm down a bit on Sunday late afternoons and evenings.

Californian Elitist

It can be very busy on weekends, but it's worth a look for pre or post Disneyland visits.

On Sundays they have a Farmers Market in the park next door until mid afternoon.
77713cc3969bbc3dd851686d5ab61dd7.jpg

But after the market clears out things calm down a bit on Sunday late afternoons and evenings.

I was going to say this kind of looks like an indoor Farmers Market.

TP2000

Original Poster
Umami Burger next door is amazing as well - I've only had their "original", but it's fabulous!

Umami Burger is the best "upscale" burger in SoCal! In-N-Out wins for traditional burger stand, in my opinion.

I love their Welsh Rarebit Burger, covered in smoked aged cheddar and delicious artisan pickles. Fantastic!

Umami Burger is across the small park from the Packing House, in Anaheim's old Packard dealership sharing a dining patio with the Anaheim Brewery.
DSC_0022_BN.jpg

These are all some great dining options for locals after a visit to Disneyland. Or, a very diverse option for a walk-about dinner or night out for tourists visiting the Disneyland Resort who want to get away from the predictable corporate food offerings in and around their hotel/motel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom