The downfall of Hollywood studios

psukardi

So many things they could do - but they all will cost a lot of money which is hard to justify to shareholders when your margins are good. Ugh, I'd bulldoze the hat. I'd rip down the backlot tour. The Lights, Camera, Action driving stunt show thing would also get 86'd.

Expand Star Wars Land and give me an E-Speeder ride or some kind of 3D Coaster like you got at Harry Potter land.

Oh and get some good talent for the main strip. Some street performers would go a long way

wdwfan4ver

I first went to DHS in 1991 when it was Disney MGM-Studios at a time that the Backlot Tour was much bigger. It is the park that spend that least time in. I agree that DHS did start to go down hill the Hat.

I enjoy One Man's Dream, The Great Movie Ride, Muppet Vision 3-D, Toy Story Midway Mania, and Star Tours: The Adventure Continues. I also look at shops in DHS and eat a cupcake at Starring Rolls.

My belief of DHS is you really can't really make a theme park a working studios theme realistically without a part of it being a working studios. DHS can't have the Backlot Tour the size it was without having less attractions and a working Studio for that matter.

The first priority for fixing DHS actually is replace the World Drive Entrance to DHS with a Victory Way entrance for Vehicles entering DHS and add parking structures. A theme park can add great stuff into the park wanting more people to going in, but it is no good if parking is a problem for guests.

I am saying this based on how popular the villains event at DHS was last year and the park had problems getting guests into the park thanks to parking issues.

Last edited:
TOT, RNRC, TSMM, Star Wars : 4 rides for a whole day? We go to parks now for rides (kids getting older). The boys are getting tired of the shows!

I agree that the older kids are getting bored with WDW and that is why they need to at least make one park exciting to them so we can just turn the older kids lose and then take the younger ones to the kiddie parks. Heck, a Six Flags park on average has around 10 to 12 thrill rides and what does WDW have for thrill rides in all 4 parks, 12!! This is why my eldest is wanting to go to Universal the next time we visit.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Dragons are lizards too aren't they? I'm not sure.

Are there any Herpatologists here?

According to that bastion of knowledge, Wikipedia, the word dragon is comes from the Greek word for serpent of huge size, water snake. But have morphed into a reptile like creature.

MDactor1980

I'm in the minority of making whatever park we pick for the day an all-day park. Our last trip, DHS was because we have to be there early for the FP for TSMM, then stay till the end for Fantasmic. We still missed on things too (B&B & IJSS - no good times, Idol & LMA - no interest). I'll probably include DHS in our potential 2015 trip since we'll be there around Christmas, and the Osborne lights are worth a look (right?).

But I totally agree with a lot of the ideas for development. Replace LM with a Frozen show. Replace B&B with a Princess revue spotlighting princesses without a "better" attraction (Tiana, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, etc). Update TGMR with some more recent movies.

Then go all in on some improved areas. Star Wars Land - obviously! Extend Pixar Place with something for Incredibles and/or Wreck-It Ralph AND re-theme the HISTK play area to Wall-E. (I'm specifically leaving out Monsters Inc since there is already a ride in DL and the MILF at MK. My best option would be to move MILF to DHS and put in something else new at MK, but I digress.) And a Villains/Halloween "land" would be my ultimate wish for DHS. Something along the lines of PhilharMagic, but utilizing all the Villains. Maybe a Nightmare Before Christmas Ride?

I have no issues with the rumored closings (save for IJ... could it be moved?), but hope that it could mean something new comes in the empty space instead of just empty real estate (EC). DHS is full of possibility and it's unfortunate the lack of love it gets. Maybe the Frozen Summer can increase the funds and recognition of park needs?

BoarderPhreak

I stopped going to HS a long time ago, and only if I had a 'Hopper (which admittedly, is normally the case). And that's only to hit ToT for the most part. Sadly, I don't see returning beyond that ANY time soon. I view HS as a strip mall and food court with a few attractions mixed in. This park is dead to me.

portorleans13

If any park is having a downfall, it would have to be Epcot. We were there in May and it was very strange to see how the main hub of the park felt outdated and bland. World showcase was the only thing we really enjoyed.

RayTheFirefly

My boyfriend (who works in the film industry) says that HS is his favorite park. He's over the moon for it. And I agree, I love going there. I think it has some great attractions (ToT is so, so awesome to me). However, I agree with most of the posters that some (*a ton) of changes/improvements would be very welcome and are very overdue. I agree that this should be WDW's thrill park. Build another coaster, build another simulator ride, whatever. But it needs some love, either way. And ignoring the BAH, that hideous stage HAS to go. When I was there recently, I realized what a huge eyesore it is.

psukardi

If any park is having a downfall, it would have to be Epcot. We were there in May and it was very strange to see how the main hub of the park felt outdated and bland. World showcase was the only thing we really enjoyed.

I can't recall the last time I had any desire to go anywhere else besides the World Showcase. Ellen's Energy Adventure? Well maybe if it's hot out & I need a nap. But the line for Test Track sans the FP+ is crazy. DW doesn't like Mission Space so that ride is out. Soarin'? Eh it was cool the first few times but now it's just a long queue and a film that should be res-shot and displayed in 4K

Disneyhead'71

'We are proud that on the 25th Anniversary of this park, we can say that through our commitment to our guests, we have over the past quarter century embarked on an aggressive expansion plan that has double the number of rides in the park. We now have 6 rides!'- Bob Iger

Goofnut1980

I agree with everyone else. I am totally over HS. The only reason we will go in December for a quick 5 day trip is on Friday night. We land at MCO at 400... then will head over to HS, ride 2 rides and head to AKV. That will be the only time we will pass through the turnstiles, uh I mean, Mickey-peoplestillcantuse-entrance-takeslonger-walkthrough-stiles (people have a hard time putting a finger on a sensor and touching the Mickeys together. lol

TP2000

I'll continue to visit the Studios for the Art of Animation area, for Fantasmic, for The Brown Derby, and for the Tower of Terror. But yeah, the place needs, not a refurb, but a major DCA-style redo STAT!

Great points. I'm also struck by the fact that the DCA Extreme Makeover Circa 2009-12 (Cost: 1.2 Billion American Dollars) has not only remade one of the weakest Disney parks into one of the strongest second gates in the Disney Empire but it has also raised the expectations of what a secondary Disney theme park gate should be.

The only thing that throws that off is EPCOT Center circa 1982-1989. But in 2014, in Epcot's current state, it's a valid reason.

Disney California Adventure of today, sitting about 100 yards south of Disneyland's main entrance, is a very strong second gate to an already stellar theme park designed and built by a man named Walt. Funny what a Billion bucks and change can buy.

BoarderPhreak

Epcot still has a lot of draw for me, regardless of how dated it is... Simply because EPCOT Center was always my favorite park (or at least tied with MK back in the day). On the bright side (depending on how you look at it) World Showcase hasn't changed much since those days. Future World, yeah, um. I mostly just go there to take pictures (photography is my "thing" in the parks). Honestly, I skip a lot of the attractions these days, aside from SSE or LwtL. I only hit MS, EEA and TT if I can sneak on there quickly or FP 'em. "I wait for nothing" is my M.O. in the parks. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom