What's Up With These Boring Park Maps?

Pocahontas

Right, but the same can be said for what isn't broken.
Yes, but the main complaint for the current maps is simply that it isn't festive enough, which is better than not being practical enough. I haven't heard anyone say that they have had difficulty maneuvering around the parks with it.

Cmdr_Crimson

They aren't completely boring, it's not like they are black and white with no decorations whatsoever.

Then you should have seen the map for the studios when it first opened..
mgm1991map.jpg

JIMINYCR

Of course, what they would do is instead of simply keeping their park map, they would get two: One to use in the park and destroy and the other to keep 'perfect' as a memento.
hmmmm...you're right, probably, but I'd still like a less boring map in my Disney room.:bookworm:.

Pocahontas

When you mentioned that they had no decoration I was just explaining how they use to look..That's all..:)
Sorry, I didn't understand.

I, personally, don't think that they're all that boring, I was just saying that the decoration was the main issue with the maps for most people - and not the information in it.

Yert3

Does anyone else find that the maps being upside down (especially with the case of Epcot's map) Annoying?
Yes! They've decided to go the route of traditional maps and have the top of the map face north instead of the way that you enter the park. I don't need the maps for any of the parks since I'm there so much, but I can't imagine how frustrating that might be for first timers. Luckily MK was built facing north so it appears correctly on the map.

anchorman314

Maybe it's just me, but how does having a "true north" orientation really affect the maps? I would think having all maps with the same directional orientation would make things easier. Once you're in the middle of the park, it doesn't really matter which part of the map the entrance is on. You'll probably have to turn the map (or your body) regardless of the picture.

RMichael21

Disneyland still uses the old style so it was really neat to see the older park maps while we were there. However, I think these simplified maps will make it easier for guests to understand where they are and how to get to a certain place.

Mike S

MK%20Park%20Map%202012%20SM.png

Untitled.png

Whilst the new one is technically more accurate, the old one is just so much appealing to look at and gives that Disney vibe whereas the new is just bland. I have a set of the old ones in frames on my bedroom wall because I'm weird but would never frame the new ones.
Sadly you could say that about much more than maps when it comes to WDW.

Rob562

I just recent found a park map from 2003 and was amazed at quality. Thick paper, LOTS of color, big print, very detailed. Now they just suck.

Probably not printed on recycled paper, and since a very, very large chunk of them ended up in the trash one way or another, they're taking up more trash space than the new ones...

And while the old ones were bigger, that also means they were bigger when folder over and put in a pocket. The new ones aren't as bulky when you do that.

I'd also be interested to see the durability of the two versions when wet. I vaguely remember the old ones getting "crumbly" when they got wet and then dried. I get the impression the new ones might just curl.

-Rob

Yert3

The map I found from '03. I love that it shows where pay phones and photo developing stations are. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom