The Spirited 8th Wonder (WDW's Future & You!)

sweetpee_1993

I didn't retreat very far. If WDW is going to heck in a hand cart as many of you seem to think and expertly point out, I think I feel sorry for the DVC owners. They have no control over the large chunk of their money they gave to Disney. Plus, they have to keep giving more every year or two to buy points and have to pay for maintainance each year for the next what,thirty years? If there is poor maintainance, poor management, lower value,nothing new or whatever else to complain about, they are stuck. Disney already has their money. If they have points and don't use them, they are paying for a vacation that never happened. If they eventually decide there are other places out there worth visiting, besides something Disney, they no longer want to or can go to Disney on a regular basis,or,for some reason they simply can't afford it, what then? Probably hope they can sell it at a loss.

At least, if you pay as you go and you decide things are worse than you want, you can vote with your wallet and do something else. It is not hard to see why some DVC owners can be especially passionate about what they perceive is wrong with Disney, because, unless money is no object, they do not have that luxury. They value their ownership and do not want to see it become less valuable to them.
Your post is EXACTLY why we didn't bite on DVC and why now we are beyond thrilled we didn't. I'd like to say I feel sorry for those folks that did bite but we all had the moment when the decision was made. I will say this: compared to other timeshares DVC owners don't have it so bad. They can rent out points to cover maintenance fees and/or resale for more than pennies on the dollar. Ya know?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think that's why the deluxe hotels have suffered. How many times have you read on these boards "all we need is a place to sleep and shower"? I have said it myself. We spend so much on park tickets that it seems silly to waste time doing other things like sitting at the pool or visiting the spa or plopping down another $50 to go play miniature golf when we have valid park ticket. In turn, it seems like a lot of amenities have been removed because people weren't using them or they weren't bringing in enough profit to justify their existence. That in turn, makes people look for lower priced options because, as you said "WDW is just theme parks + hotels" not a true resort experience. Instead of steering people back into focusing on WDW as a resort with more to offer than just theme parks, they "resorted" to raising prices to cover the ground they lost while continuing to take away things that add intrinsic value. It's kind of a vicious cycle.

Yup... I've mentioned this before but people get so defensive that they think they can't be influenced at all they refuse to acknowledge that Disney's messaging and product choices have altered how people experience the property. The messaging, the pricing models, the advertising, they all work to shape this idea of what is important and what you prioritize. The biggest chunk is as you said... "We spend so much on park tickets that it seems silly to waste time doing other things" - people feel they need to maximize their park time so they "can do it all"

It was much different when there was only 1 and 2 parks.

khale1970

Certainly that is a huge (I'd argue.. 75% or more) of the reason for staying there and justifying the prices. But doesn't change the hotel experience or how it stacks up

On my June trip, I stayed at both Beach Club (for around $340 for one night to take advantage of a PIN that include 8 day park hoppers for free) and Royal Pacific (for $300 plus $20 for parking to take advantage of unlimited express pass). If not for the unlimited express pass, I'd never stay at RP again based on the hotel experience and how it stacks up. I'd stay at BC again without the free park hopper based on the experience and how it stacks up. Maybe it was just the rave reviews by the sunshine pumping wand strokers, but RP didn't come close to my expectations.

Last edited:

cw1982

On my June trip, I stayed at both Beach Club (for around $340 for one night to take advantage of a PIN that include 8 day park hoppers for free) and Royal Pacific (for $300 plus $20 for parking to take advantage of unlimited express pass). If not for the unlimited express pass, I'd never stay at RP again based on the hotel experience and how it stacks up. I'd stay at BC again without the free park hopper based on the park hopper and how it stacks up. Maybe it was just the rave reviews by the sunshine pumping wand strikers, but RP didn't come close to my expectations.

I'm not doubting you at all, but I'm curious. Can you elaborate? What made Beach Club so much better than Royal Pacific?

cw1982

Is there a way to just get a rundown of the news from @WDW1974 without scrolling through 1700 replies? Why don't we make a locked thread only for him to post then another thread to discuss and to ask questions? @wdwmagic

So... you think he should have to post his updates twice? No offense, but I hardly think that's a fair thing to ask of him, seeing as how he does this for free and all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's not about money IMO - but the fact Disney let's guests walk all over them. Combine that with the direction society is heading ("everyone owes me!!") and you can see which way the slide points.

Stuffy, proper places stay that way because of expectations.. expectations that are usually re-affirmed through constraints and enforcement. Two things Disney has been eager to reduce or eliminate entirely over the last 15 years.

I wish you'd say something dumb or combative just for the sake of it because I am growing tired of agreeing with you. Maybe you could write a post defending CP and having BRAND advocates like The Mongello?

I say this because I so agree with the above. I'll add a caveat that Disney lets loudmouthed, rude and crude (and often times borderline criminal) guests walk all over its CMs. If you are quiet, polite and rational, then you'll largely be told that your concerns will be shared with the proper people and to have a MAGICal day/night.

I never thought I'd defend what you term ''stuffy, proper places'' but compared to what we have now, I love them. I'd rather have that, than the alternative.

I was at the Grand Floridian back in 1988. Back when Georgie K was the lowly head of food and beverage and Michael Eisner and Frank Wells had just commissioned an outside firm to study whether Disney should get into the timeshare business. I can assure you that even with that tacky mall food court brown and white tile that was down in the public areas, the Grand truly was that. No one was sleeping in the lobby or putting shoes up on the tables while chowing down on Gasparilla's crap serve in it.

No, DVC isn't entirely to blame for the Walmarting. Neither is Disney. Our society has gone to hell and it's been years (many would say decades) in the making.

But you can either fight that, fight for being classy and doing things right and demanding that your cast and guests do likewise or you can throw in the towel because it is easier and cheaper. Disney has moved in one direction steadily ... and the reason the 'snowflakes', as my pal @PhotoDave219 calls them, get offended is because people see themselves (rightly or wrongly as clearly I am speaking in general and not of anyone or even a group in particular) in that light and inside ... in those dark crevices of the brain where you just hate when people like me are right ... a part of you sees yourself spilling fruit punch all over carpeting at a WDW resort and ignoring it or letting your brats put their filthy shoes on sofas in a lobby or room/villa or yelling at a server because there isn't a burger on the menu at a fine dining locale ... and you don't like what you see.

Last edited:

DisneyDenis

Your post is EXACTLY why we didn't bite on DVC and why now we are beyond thrilled we didn't. I'd like to say I feel sorry for those folks that did bite but we all had the moment when the decision was made. I will say this: compared to other timeshares DVC owners don't have it so bad. They can rent out points to cover maintenance fees and/or resale for more than pennies on the dollar. Ya know?

I have saved a bundle just on one DVC trip. I went to Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House) during Spring breaktime in 2013. Because I had 4 adults and 1 child I stayed at 2 studios for 5 days each. The average rack rate (cash) cost per night for Savannah View was $531 per night + 12.5% tax X 2 rooms X 5 nights = $ 5974. Note: No discounts were available from Disney at the time for that room type at Jambo House.

2 DVC Studios cost with 2 years dues + 2 years depreciation + 13 extra points @ $15/pp = $ 1772.
In addition I used my DVC membership card to get $200 in discounts on merchandise purchased (Disney just loves me). This is at the resort that the OP classifies as 4 stars because it is unique, great themeing, (and has great restaurants).

My savings were 5974 - 1772 + 200 = $ 4402 on just one trip. My resale contract cost me $ 6450 with closing costs. On top of that I rented 154 points at $6 over my membership fee cost for a gross profit of $ 924.

To be frankly honest, DVC allows me to stay at Disney for what it REALLY should cost ($ 177.20 per night total) not their outrageous non-discounted rack rate !!!

I just love DVC !!! I am hoping this rumor really happens...I am so happy about it !!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's not true. When we went to a DVC sales pitch back in May. They did nothing but push the attitude that you could stay Deluxe for less than what you paid for Port Orleans Riverside. That because we always stay in moderates, wouldn't it be nice to have an opportunity to stay Deluxe, not once but everytime we came to Disney parks.
They were trying to sell me the "opportunity" to stay somewhere we had only "dreamed" of staying.

That's the whole DVC conundrum ... and why it is such a successful product. Folks who could barely afford rooms at Disney's value and moderate resorts (and this goes back to when they weren't so obscenely priced) wind up staying in 'deluxe villas' that are only 'affordable' by buying DVC. But that is just going around the circle that spirals deluxe resorts down the drain.

DVC may be deluxe accommodations (and that point is very debatable), but they don't attract deluxe guests largely and they wind up removing deluxe aspects from deluxe resorts as soon as they are added.

khale1970

I'm not doubting you at all, but I'm curious. Can you elaborate? What made Beach Club so much better than Royal Pacific?

Check in, room size, parking, pool and pool side restaurant service at BC were vastly better than at RP. RP was nice, but BC was better and well worth the extra $20 per night. But that unlimited express pass helped me forgive all the shortcomings at RP and would be the only reason why I'd stay there again. If WDW ever goes to something similar, they won't hear the outcry from off site, moderate, and value guests over the non-stop money printing presses that their deluxe resorts will become.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Now that we've seen the new area open...I'm not sure that TWDC is wrong to play it soft. Hogsmeade is incredible. The only domestic land I would compare to it is Radiator Springs in DCA, which is also stunning. And, while I have not seen it yet, it looks like Diagon is even better. But....Diagon does not yet seem to be pulling in the people in huge numbers in the way that Hogsmeade did. Yes, EFG has an insane line, but some of that seems to be due to poor operations/uptime, and the rest of the land is not over-run. Granted, some of that is due to more foresight in planning for guest flow, etc., but Diagon does not seem to be the complete game-changer that Hogsmeade was.

This is getting off-topic and, worse, into another UNI vs. Disney debate. But I'd say you are jumping to some awful large (and not accurate) conclusions based on an area that's been open two whole weeks.

I don't disagree with Diagon not being a game-changer, though. It wasn't supposed to be. Potter 1.0 was the game-changer ... everything that has happened at UNI since is simply building on that.

crispy

Yup... I've mentioned this before but people get so defensive that they think they can't be influenced at all they refuse to acknowledge that Disney's messaging and product choices have altered how people experience the property. The messaging, the pricing models, the advertising, they all work to shape this idea of what is important and what you prioritize. The biggest chunk is as you said... "We spend so much on park tickets that it seems silly to waste time doing other things" - people feel they need to maximize their park time so they "can do it all"

It was much different when there was only 1 and 2 parks.

Do you think that the "blessing" of size turned into a curse of sorts? I was pondering this today. I can stay at WDW for a week and not experience everything in the parks, but when you add things like Downtown Disney, water sports, golf, hard ticketed events, special events like F & W, two water parks, etc., etc., etc., it's absolutely overwhelming. It almost makes me wonder if things were overbuilt to a certain extent. I know that WDW wants to create a vacation product that appeals to all demographics, but is the addition of all the other stuff what has caused the erosion of the main attraction?

I am not actually sure of my own feelings about this. In some ways, all of the "stuff" is what has made me return again - there is no "one and done" at WDW because there is always something I have never done before (I admit that it took me until trip number 8 or 9 to actually visit Downtown Disney because I'm just not much of a shopper). On the other hand, it seems to have removed the focus from what we as fans see as important. TDO may see themselves in the hotel business or as a massive retailer, but that comes secondary because almost all visitors who want to see the parks and experience new attractions. Things like Downtown Disney and golf are nice, but I am not going to Orlando to visit Downtown Disney and golf. I may, however, golf and visit Downtown Disney if I am at WDW (okay, I will never golf, but my DH might).

I don't know, it just see that, at some point, the whole thing got twisted around. Maybe WDW is a victim of it's own success. They have to build all the peripherals to handle the crowds that see WDW as a rite of passage, and they have created a bit of a monster that they don't know how to run with both excellence and efficiency.

(I don't think this is off-topic, but I apologize if it is).

crispy

I have saved a bundle just on one DVC trip. I went to Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House) during Spring breaktime in 2013. Because I had 4 adults and 1 child I stayed at 2 studios for 5 days each. The average rack rate (cash) cost per night for Savannah View was $531 per night + 12.5% tax X 2 rooms X 5 nights = $ 5974. Note: No discounts were available from Disney at the time for that room type at Jambo House.

2 DVC Studios cost with 2 years dues + 2 years depreciation + 13 extra points @ $15/pp = $ 1772.
In addition I used my DVC membership card to get $200 in discounts on merchandise purchased (Disney just loves me). This is at the resort that the OP classifies as 4 stars because it is unique, great themeing, (and has great restaurants).

My savings were 5974 - 1772 + 200 = $ 4402 on just one trip. My resale contract cost me $ 6450 with closing costs. On top of that I rented 154 points at $6 over my membership fee cost for a gross profit of $ 924.

To be frankly honest, DVC allows me to stay at Disney for what it REALLY should cost ($ 177.20 per night total) not their outrageous non-discounted rack rate !!!

I just love DVC !!! I am hoping this rumor really happens...I am so happy about it !!!

You would have saved even more if you had stayed offsite.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I understand that you might not consider it a tragedy, but I find it thoroughly depressing to realize that between the Poly and apparently now the WL, corporate Disney effectively is signaling that WDW is 'done'. Yes, there will be updates from time-to-time but WDW's glory days are firmly in the past. :depressed:

I'd argue that WDW's glory days ended over 15 years ago ... back last century myself. ... I'm just hoping there is enough pixie dust left so that it remains a place I can still enjoy visiting for the foreseeable future.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Speaking of hotels... Disney and more has renderings of Shanghai's hotels. Thankfully, the flagship isn't another GrandFlo xerox.
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2014/07/shanghai-disneyland-update-first.html
sdlhotel1b.jpg~original

Nope. But not for lack of trying/pitching by WDI.

I'm wondering if Angie and I will be able to exchange DVC points for a room there for the opening ... or maybe a suite big enough to fit @Lee, his ego and his lovely wife ... and the rest of my entourage.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
And let me say, I have stayed at all different star-level hotels and motels around the real world (not just WDW), and the LBV Waldorf is one of the classiest I've experienced. It may be second to the Grand Bohemian in Downtown Orlando (until Four Seasons opens anyway) but there is an intangible difference to places run to this standard. Sounds snooty to say that, but it is true. And I notice a difference in guest behavior due to the intangibles. Grand Floridian used to be that way (so much so that I never really felt comfortable in the place). At $199 a night I'd really deeply consider a staycation.

Interesting. Never stayed there. Matter of fact, the only Waldorf I have stayed at is the original in NYC before Hilton decided to create a chain. But seeing how amazing the Hiltons are at both Bonnet Creek and the O-Town/O.C. Convention Centers, I can only imagine.

I've meant to get over to the WA for a meal or drinks since it opened and I haven't done so yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom