Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

Tony Perkis

In the case of Planes, I think people are sick of Disney's quick and cheap sequels that in the past were straight to video ripoffs of their popular animated movies. Now they put them out like they are a major release. I know this is Pixar and they have had some success with sequels but remember when Disney had a policy of no sequels to any of their animated movies?
Pixar has little-to-nothing to do with the Planes films.

Tony Perkis

No way! I absolutely will go through with it. I have to have an avatar that says "twebber55 is god" as my avatar for one week.

Remember though, it's box office PLUS home video through the end of the year (but yeah, looks like you've won - easily).

Disney movies like Planes and Muppets have way underperformed. The only thing I can figure is that they're oversaturating the Disney Channel to the point people are sick of them (they didn't hype Frozen or Maleficent on the channel nearly as much) and people are waiting for home video.
You're vastly overestimating the Disney Channel's influence on domestic and worldwide box office grosses.

flyerjab

Nothing to add on the animation front. However, getting back to the OP, have been in WDW for about 12 days now. I have asked multiple CMs in several of the WDW parks about crowds. I have received the same response each time: the crowd levels for the middle of the summer have been appreciably lower since DA opened. The last one I asked worked at the Lafoes Brew Tavern, who also whispered that he likes Butter Beer better. :)

Mike S

Nothing to add on the animation front. However, getting back to the OP, have been in WDW for about 12 days now. I have asked multiple CMs in several of the WDW parks about crowds. I have received the same response each time: the crowd levels for the middle of the summer have been appreciably lower since DA opened. The last one I asked worked at the Lafoes Brew Tavern, who also whispered that he likes Butter Beer better. :)
If this continues one could only hope it forces TDO's hand.

asianway

Right, and you'll noticed that they haven't touched anything in the WDAS library since Lasseter took over. They could have easily churned out a Robin Hood midquel or Aristocats 2: Marie's Adventure (and I should really stop giving them ideas), but they haven't.
More Rescuers or Great Mouse Detective would be welcome. Those are the only two I ever thought it made sense on

xstech25

I went to Diagon Alley today for the first time and thought that while it was good and looked just like the movie, I wouldn't say its any better themed than what Disney has been doing (Cars Land, to me, was more impressive). Someone texted me back when it first opened saying it was the best themed area of any park he had been to, which is why I found it a little disappointing. Actually a lot of the theming at DAK in the Asia and Africa sections I think are better: especially Everest, the Maharajah Jungle Trek, and the Safari. You can definitely tell "the Disney difference": In Diagon Alley I was really put off by the big unthemed queue blocks for the train (both ends) and Gringotts where you wait in a MASSIVE queue house with nothing to look at but unthemed backstage buildings.

The Simpsons area I thought was quick and half a**ed. Its one of those things I would expect from the Dino-Rama/original DCA time period, not 2014 where we have things like Cars Land/Avatar/Hogsmeade. If it were built in 1995 it probably would have been great. The Lard Lad Donut was really good though. Also the Spiderman upgrades were a huge improvement, the digital projections look great.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

I went to Diagon Alley today for the first time and thought that while it was good and looked just like the movie, I wouldn't say its any better themed than what Disney has been doing (Cars Land, to me, was more impressive). Someone texted me back when it first opened saying it was the best themed area of any park he had been to, which is why I found it a little disappointing. Actually a lot of the theming at DAK in the Asia and Africa sections I think are better: especially Everest, the Maharajah Jungle Trek, and the Safari. You can definitely tell "the Disney difference": In Diagon Alley I was really put off by the big unthemed queue blocks for the train (both ends) and Gringotts where you wait in a MASSIVE queue house with nothing to look at but unthemed backstage buildings.

The Simpsons area I thought was quick and half a**ed. Its one of those things I would expect from the Dino-Rama/original DCA time period, not 2014 where we have things like Cars Land/Avatar/Hogsmeade. If it were built in 1995 it probably would have been great. The Lard Lad Donut was really good though. Also the Spiderman upgrades were a huge improvement, the digital projections look great.
I, personally, don't have a problem with the minimal theming that is in Gringott's extended queue. After the initial hoopla dies down it will almost never be used. Just like the extended queues for MiB or Spider-man. Last time I was in MiB's extended queue I was waiting to get into Diagon Alley. It's really no different than the backstage views of ToT that you get during Star Wars Weekends or using the backstage behind Main Street to exit the MK during Christmas week.

Oh, and Everest? Really? The little queue building has some OK themeing, but the ride itself is god awful. Some of the worst rock work I have ever seen.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In Diagon Alley I was really put off by the big unthemed queue blocks for the train (both ends) and Gringotts where you wait in a MASSIVE queue house with nothing to look at but unthemed backstage buildings

Those are extended queues intended only for extreme cases. Kind of like Disney walking you out of F! or Mainstreet in unthemed areas.

Mike S

Dinoland USA is easily my least favorite part of any WDW park. I've said this on other threads, but that area makes me feel like I've fallen out of WDW and into a carnival. The whole dinosaur thing could be so much better done!
Yes, yes it could.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

MDactor1980

Dinoland USA is easily my least favorite part of any WDW park. I've said this on other threads, but that area makes me feel like I've fallen out of WDW and into a carnival. The whole dinosaur thing could be so much better done!
I totally agree. Meanwhile I thought Primevil Whirl was a lot of fun, and I giggled like a little kid through our whole ride. I think I'm just bitter because an 8 year old girl beat me at one of the midway games.

ctxak98

Yeah it really could! I have a huge passion for dinosaurs, and I have since I was a little kid! The problem with Dinoland to me is just a unified idea! I actually really like the Dino institute and and probably one of the few who do like the actual ride "Dinosaur". Yes the ride would be ten times better with all working effects and AA dinosaurs, but it's still a cool concept!

I for one think Dinoland could be completely turned around by making the area more about dinosaurs and less about the carnival! I would like to see atleast 1 show about dinosaurs! Not nemo! The excavator and a refurb on Dinosaur! The land would then be complete with attractions and maybe add a restaurant!

Mike S

Yeah it really could! I have a huge passion for dinosaurs, and I have since I was a little kid! The problem with Dinoland to me is just a unified idea! I actually really like the Dino institute and and probably one of the few who do like the actual ride "Dinosaur". Yes the ride would be ten times better with all working effects and AA dinosaurs, but it's still a cool concept!

I for one think Dinoland could be completely turned around by making the area more about dinosaurs and less about the carnival! I would like to see atleast 1 show about dinosaurs! Not nemo! The excavator and a refurb on Dinosaur! The land would then be complete with attractions and maybe add a restaurant!
Maybe for a show Disney could sign a deal with the people who did the Walking with Dinosaurs arena show. That was amazing when I saw it.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Out of place carnival aside, Dino-Rama doesn't even get roadside attractions right in a park that's all about priding itself on authenticity of these different places. The dinosaurs they got scattered around that area are really clean, high quality and looking like they were designed by Disney professionals. Real roadside dinosaur sculptures are much tackier and in a lot of ways, more endearing.

18lr3rq8xql5bjpg.jpg

smiling_dinosaur.jpg

mad_dino.jpg

colorado-triceratops.jpg

weirddino.jpg

If you want to celebrate America's appreciation of dinosaurs in both the dignified and the tacky ways (and honestly, I feel like that's the perfect description of America in general), you gotta do better (or worse) then what you got in Dinoland now. The only really genuine feeling roadside dinosaur of that whole half of Dinoland is that weird one made out of recycled materials.
din394543LARGE.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom