Dolphin or WL during October? Help!

BransonJ

Original Poster
I'm in a predicament. We wanted to stay in the Epcot resort area and with our budget could only choose the dolphin. Now that the fall deals are out we have come to find out we can stay at Wilderness Lodge for same price. Only thing is we really were looking forward to being able to walk to and from the food and wine festival. At first the whole not being a disney owned and operated resort didn't bother us because the proximity to Epcot. Now that we can get the same rate at WL I'm leaning twoards that. We are attending the MNSSHP and MK till midnight the following night for EMH. So we will be spending similar time in both parks.

I've made a list of pros and cons of both and just can't decide. Anything I'm possibly forgetting or not taking into consideration? I have stayed at WL before but I was only 13.

epcotisbest

With the upcoming WL pool rehab, I would pick Dolphin, but I may not be a good one to give you advice, as we really like Dolphin. We really like WL as well, but the walk to Epcot from Dolphin is wonderful. How important is pool time for you?

BransonJ

Original Poster
With the upcoming WL pool rehab, I would pick Dolphin, but I may not be a good one to give you advice, as we really like Dolphin. We really like WL as well, but the walk to Epcot from Dolphin is wonderful. How important is pool time for you?
It will be our honeymoon so we might like to swim maybe a half hour here and there. But the main pool wouldn't be a big deal since the other pools will be open. Any idea if it will be a eye sore?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
It will be our honeymoon so we might like to swim maybe a half hour here and there. But the main pool wouldn't be a big deal since the other pools will be open. Any idea if it will be a eye sore?
Just so you know, there is only one other pool, a smaller one at the WL Villas. However WL guests will be able to use both Contemporary pools during the WL main pool closure. The Contemporary is just a quick boat ride away.

Can't say whether it will be an eyesore or not. Only main pool courtyard views would be affected anyway. Other courtyard views face the WL Villas pool area; woods view and standard view would not be affected by any work on the pool.

And if you are willing to spring for club level, all those rooms have enclosed balconies (since they are under dormers) so no view either negative or positive.

We have two upcoming WL reservations, one for September and the other November, so we aren't concerned about the closure and construction ;)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I'm not even fond of the Dolphin (much prefer the Swan), but I would choose it over WL during the Food & Wine Festival. If you plan on attending the F&WF, being able to walk into Epcot is the way to go. IMO, of course. :)

epcotisbest

Hidden Springs pool at the villas is my favorite spot in all of WDW. This is mostly because it is a small, quiet area away from the noise of the main pool. My concern is it will be crowded with guests since the main pool will be closed. Disney usually does a good job of walling off construction and rehab, so I'm guessing the main pool rehab won't be a big eyesore.

epcotisbest

I'm not even fond of the Dolphin (much prefer the Swan), but I would choose it over WL during the Food & Wine Festival. If you plan on attending the F&WF, being able to walk into Epcot is the way to go. IMO, of course. :)
Well your opinion matters! Walking to Epcot during F&W can be a big plus. We have about quit going to F&W though, so I guess it really just comes down to personal preference. The ability for WL guests to use Contemporary pools is a plus during the rehab.
Oh, hi Tiggerish. I have not posted much in awhile, but still read along some.

epcotisbest

Just so you know, there is only one other pool, a smaller one at the WL Villas. However WL guests will be able to use both Contemporary pools during the WL main pool closure. The Contemporary is just a quick boat ride away.

Can't say whether it will be an eyesore or not. Only main pool courtyard views would be affected anyway. Other courtyard views face the WL Villas pool area; woods view and standard view would not be affected by any work on the pool.

And if you are willing to spring for club level, all those rooms have enclosed balconies (since they are under dormers) so no view either negative or positive.

We have two upcoming WL reservations, one for September and the other November, so we aren't concerned about the closure and construction ;)
You are right, there are still a lot of good views at WL that should not be affected by the pool rehab. We live in the mountains of north Georgia, not another house in view, so I guess I'm a little spoiled and accustomed to a wooded view.

BransonJ

Original Poster
I think it's going to have to come down to what the wife wants. Happy wife happy life right?

She has only stayed at boardwalk and is now spoiled by that area. But at the same time I'm hesitant on the dolphin cause in afraid I won't get that disney feel. Even though he boardwalk is right out the door. We currently have dinner at coral reef and san angel inn, as well as Kona and artists point. So that's a split.

Being able to use contemporay pool seems like a plus. Another plus of WL I hadn't thought of is the use of magical express.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Another plus of WL I hadn't thought of is the use of magical express.
Yes, it will cost you to use the Mears shuttle to the Dolphin. (Several years ago it was $36/person round trip.)

Also, you have room charging privileges at a Disney resort. Not sure if you can send your purchases back to the Dolphin or not.

DisneyPrincess5

I've stayed at both and really loved both of them. If I were you, I'd choose WL simply because we like the simplicity of being in a Disney resort, not that Dolphin is much different, but it's easier to use the bands or gift cards or whatever. Happy planning!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Well your opinion matters! Walking to Epcot during F&W can be a big plus. We have about quit going to F&W though, so I guess it really just comes down to personal preference. The ability for WL guests to use Contemporary pools is a plus during the rehab.
Oh, hi Tiggerish. I have not posted much in awhile, but still read along some.

I've noticed you sticking your toe back in ;) always a pleasure to "see"your contributions to the forum! :)

We are pretty close to quitting the F&W Fest, too. :( I wouldn't mind change for the better, but it's sad when things keep changing for the worse.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I think it's going to have to come down to what the wife wants. Happy wife happy life right?

She has only stayed at boardwalk and is now spoiled by that area. But at the same time I'm hesitant on the dolphin cause in afraid I won't get that disney feel. Even though he boardwalk is right out the door. We currently have dinner at coral reef and san angel inn, as well as Kona and artists point. So that's a split.

Being able to use contemporay pool seems like a plus. Another plus of WL I hadn't thought of is the use of magical express.

You are certainly right that you've split your time evenly between MK and EC areas! Really a toss up.

I've never stayed at the Dolphin, but I have stayed at the Swan, and it felt plenty Disney, so I would assume the Dolphin is similar. Only reason I don't care for it is it's size--it's huge!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Yes, it will cost you to use the Mears shuttle to the Dolphin. (Several years ago it was $36/person round trip.)

Also, you have room charging privileges at a Disney resort. Not sure if you can send your purchases back to the Dolphin or not.

See now, that might be a game changer. We're DVC members and we usually rent a car. I didn't realize that Swolphin guests didn't get DME. If you're not renting a car, I would definitely take free Disney transport over paying for Mears.

BransonJ

Original Poster
Well after a sit down discussion we decided to switch to Wilderness Lodge!

And a added plus we decided to fly in a day early. (Won't arrive until 10:35pm). That way we will have a full day instead of arriving at our hotel at 3:00pm.
However the Wilderness Lodge didn't have a availability for that extra night. So we booked a room at the MCO airport since we are getting in late. So since we are now able to use magical express are we still able to use it even though our flight will land the night before and just board it in the early morning? I'd assume our luggage will be taken to WL and wait in storage until we check in. Can anyone confirm this?

But now we have to shuffle a couple dinner reservations around so hopefully that goes smoothly as well!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Guests are responsible for getting their own luggage from baggage claim on any flight that lands after 10 p.m. This actually is good news for you, since you will not be without it when you spend the night at the airport hotel. When you board the ME bus, the driver will stow your luggage for you under the bus. And if your room is not ready when you arrive at the WL, bell services can stow your luggage while you go play in the parks. But they will not bring your luggage to your room until you call for it. (You can always stop by bell services when you room is ready and take it to your room yourself if you want to save tip $.)

Call Magical Express and explain your situation, to make sure you have a seat on the following morning's bus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom