Ever Witness a CM Break Character?

nowsheflies

Original Poster
My family and I leave for the World on Saturday and we're super excited because we haven't been for several years. But some of us have recently began to worry just a bit . . . see the other day my sister was having trouble with her printer and yelled out "I'm gonna kill this printer," well, her two year old, for some reason, thought that was hilarious. And now he likes to say that, except instead of the printer he says it about pretty much anyone. So basically we're worried that he's going to threaten to murder a character! He has no idea what it means and thinks it's something funny!

But it got me thinking about how Cinderella or Mickey Mouse would react if, after a big hug, he shouted "I'm gonna kill Cinderella," (or Mickey Mouse). And then I wondered if anyone had ever seen a cast member break character, even though that's the biggest Disney work-place sin!

PigletIsMyCat

i have never seen a CM break character while on stage. handlers have had to assist, i've seen managers have to intervene, but i've never seen a CM in character costume do it.

DisneyPrincess5

Wow I'm literally laughing out loud. That's one of those moments that's hilarious but you can't laugh because it eggs them on! Well if he does bust out with that, which I doubt because he will probably be in such awe that his script will abandon him, but if he does, can't wait to hear their responses!

seahawk7

A couple of years back, my daughter starting joking around with one of the Cinderella's wicked stepsisters and that character broke character and said, "Excuse me?" while twisting her hair. It really embarrassed my daughter because that isn't how the stepsisters act. They usually joke around and are quite fun. My daughter is quite reserved but she felt comfortable at the MK so she tried to play around with the stepsister and it was just a bad experience. So that stepsister is wicked to us from now on for other reasons besides being cruel to Cinderella.

I never saw a cast member break character in front of guests, but while working at Disneyland Paris, I saw, backstage, Aladdin's Genie with his character's head off, smoking a cigarette and swearing like a sailor...!!! Weird experience!!!

Similar situation to me when I went on the backstage tour in Magic Kingdom. Aurora was sat at a break table eating something, I think it was a sandwich. HILARIOUS!! Our tour guide pointed it out and she just waved as we all giggled. Funny but very weird!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes and I have it on film. My daughter was going back and forth with the CM playing Gaston and he was definitely enjoying the interaction - the previous group of girls just giggled at him. My daughter said something particularly witty to something silly he said and he leaned over and responded, "Well, I'm from Wisconsin - we're all cheesy in that state" and winked at her. We all cracked up - me, my daughter, the CM (he was doing his best not to laugh since she was close to rolling on the floor) and the photo pass photographer. Thank god his handler didn't hear him break character or he might have been in trouble. But it was priceless for us.

WoodyNBuzz

My wife made Anastasia break character at 1900 Park Fare once. She came to the table to do her usual tidbit and my wife told her, "I like your sleeves" which is a quote from Napolean Dynomite. The expression in her face and the way she laughed and said "thank you", we all knew right away that she unintentionally had broken character. One of my best memories as it was my first trip to WDW.

HatboxGhost

My wife and I had a wonderful CM breaking character moment. We were "talking" to a costumed character in a restaurant and we happen to both be wearing the same shirt which was the logo of a friends band. The CM pointed to the shirts and we told him/her that it was our friends band from New Jersey. The CM pointed to him/herself, made a peace/ V sign, and then turned it upside down so it was an A. So we knew that the CM was originally from Virginia. It was a very cool experience.

Matt_Black

In the Tower of Terror library, before the Rod Serling part, the CM tells us to look around, playing up the grim bellhop routine. She notices me inspecting everything carefully, and comments on that.

"Oh, I'm trying to find the Burgess Meredith broken glasses."

At that point, she dropped the act a bit. "They took those out!"
"No way! That stinks."
"Yeah."

Hockey89

A couple of years back, my daughter starting joking around with one of the Cinderella's wicked stepsisters and that character broke character and said, "Excuse me?" while twisting her hair. It really embarrassed my daughter because that isn't how the stepsisters act. They usually joke around and are quite fun. My daughter is quite reserved but she felt comfortable at the MK so she tried to play around with the stepsister and it was just a bad experience. So that stepsister is wicked to us from now on for other reasons besides being cruel to Cinderella.
Wait you think the CM is to blame bc your daughter was twisting her hair? Really

C Turner

On our last trip, we ate at Chef Mickey's...Minnie's underwear fell down to her ankles. She tripped because she was unaware they had fallen down. The handler did a very good job of helping Minnie pull up her briefs, but they wouldn't stay up. I really felt bad for the CM because even through the costume, you could tell she was embarrassed. She tried to hide her face and not look at anyone....she bolted for the kitchen, with her handler trying to catch up to her, before she tripped again.

Matt and Kelly

While eating dinner at 50's a few years back we experienced a CM step out of character for a brief moment. This was our second time at 50's and on both occasions our "Uncle Tim" was serving us. The visits were a few years apart so I highly doubt he remembered serving us the first time. Though he was great at playing along as if he did.

This particular visit was our first with our 11 month old (at the time) daughter. Both my mom and my wife's mom were with us and spoke to Uncle Tim about how great it was being a grandparent. Tim sat down beside us for a brief moment, looked around quickly before grabbing his iPhone and showing us a few pictures of his granddaughter. You could tell he was so proud and it made for an even better experience.

He quickly got back into character and told me to get my elbows off the table or I'd be in the corner the rest of the meal. Can't wait to go back in September!

Last edited:

dadddio

Twice, I've thought that my kids were going to 'break' the characters.

When my daughter was 7 months old, we went on a Baltic cruise on the Magic. The princesses and other characters are on the ship. Many of them would give our daughter what seemed like extra attention likely because very few very young kids were aboard (and she is super cute). One time, Cinderella was holding Sarah for several minutes. Sarah was teething at the time and Cinderella put her finger way too close to her maw.I tried to warn her, but it was too late. Sarah bit her gloved finger with her newly acquired tooth. Cinderella said 'ow' in a way that communicated actual pain, not play pain. To her credit, she retained the character's voice and composure.

When my daughter was four and her brother was three, we went to the princess lunch at Akershus. Snow White stopped by the table to give her quick visit and emblazon the kids with lipstick. She and Sarah exchanged greetings and Sarah got her kiss. Snow White then went to the other side of the table to visit with Jacob. He was playing super shy and wouldn't even look at her. She bent down to talk to him when all of the sudden he spun around and planted a huge smoochie on her. She LOST it. She was laughing so hard that she could not speak, but she didn't technically break character. It took her a minute or two to pull herself back together. It was super cute and I'm glad that I was taking pics of the exchange.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom