What's Up With These Boring Park Maps?

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
My mom was just in WDW for a few days and I asked her to bring us back some park maps for nostalgia sake. Wow I was really stunned at how boring and lifeless they are. No fun colors, pretty non descript (but maybe they always were?), and just plain boring looking in my opinion, compared to how they had been for a long time. We were just there less than a year ago and I don't remember them looking like this.

And the way the DHS one is positioned oddly and not true to the parks design. Instead of the parks entrance being depicted at the bottom of the map, it's off to the right which is confusing for any first timers I'd think.

What's the deal? I mean they're just maps, we will survive, Im just surprised at the lack of detail. Maybe it's just not in the budget....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
My mom was just in WDW for a few days and I asked her to bring us back some park maps for nostalgia sake. Wow I was really stunned at how boring and lifeless they are. No fun colors, pretty non descript (but maybe they always were?), and just plain boring looking in my opinion, compared to how they had been for a long time. We were just there less than a year ago and I don't remember them looking like this.

And the way the DHS one is positioned oddly and not true to the parks design. Instead of the parks entrance being depicted at the bottom of the map, it's off to the right which is confusing for any first timers I'd think.

What's the deal? I mean they're just maps, we will survive, Im just surprised at the lack of detail. Maybe it's just not in the budget....
I wish you would take a picture of them.

DrewmanS

The maps now match the mobile app. So they need to be simplified and use less color and clutter so they are easily viewed on a small screen.
Each park is orientated to true north insted of the entrance being at the bottom.
The "maps of old" were often way out of scale to highlight rides or form dramatic or visual effects. With satellite maps on their phones, people can see where they are in real time. The park maps need to better replicate real life as people use phones as a way fearing device.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The maps now match the mobile app. So they need to be simplified and use less color and clutter so they are easily viewed on a small screen.
Each park is orientated to true north insted of the entrance being at the bottom.
The "maps of old" were often way out of scale to highlight rides or form dramatic or visual effects. With satellite maps on their phones, people can see where they are in real time. The park maps need to better replicate real life as people use phones as a way fearing device.
This^^^

They ditched the cartoon maps for something more functional.

Cmdr_Crimson

I would have to see one.

They are shown as they would look on a real map since the park is an North West/South East park. Not like Epcot, MK & AK as they are North/South Parks
Maps_Full_20426.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

These came in during March 2013 to match with My Disney Experience.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/maps/...idemaps-and-times-guides-now-in-the-parks.htm

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. We haven't used the app yet and when we went in 10/2013 we must not have payed much attention to the maps nor were we testing bands. Good to know though im surprised theyre this bland all around.

JIMINYCR

I hate the new maps, so dull and lifeless whereas the old cartoony looking ones were much nicer and made great keepsakes. They also give he illusion the parks are bigger and full of stuff whereas the new ones show tons of empty space making the parks look empty.
I always come home with a current set of maps... I always thought... gee with the great animation staff you would think Disney could come up with a functional but better dressed up map. Maybe more people would keep them instead of throwing them on the ground, leave them on the benches, crumple them up and deposit them on the walkways and trash cans. I see so many of them thrown on the ground all over the parks.

Pocahontas

I don't think there's anything wrong with them. They're simple, easy to follow, and helpful.

They aren't completely boring, it's not like they are black and white with no decorations whatsoever.

Sure, they could be jazzed up, but why fix what isn't broken?

Pocahontas

Why not enhance something that can be positively enhanced?
Why the need to always make comments that seem like you're trying to start something? :cautious:

+ I know that tons of people would complain and say that the old version was better, as they do for almost anything Disney updates.

Californian Elitist

Why the need to always make comments that seem like you're trying to start something? :cautious:

+ I know that tons of people would complain and say that the old version was better, as they do for almost anything Disney updates.

I haven't a clue what you're talking about. I simply responded to your post with a question. What would I be trying to start, besides a conversation?

The key word I used was "positively". I'm not referring to negative "enhancements", changes that cause folks to yearn for the older versions.

Pocahontas

I haven't a clue what you're talking about. I simply responded to your post with a question. What would I be trying to start, besides a conversation?

The key word I used was "positively". I'm not referring to negative "enhancements", changes that cause folks to yearn for the older versions.
Well, "positive" is a very subjective term. I'm sure what you or Disney would consider "positive" may not be so for others, especially those with different needs.

dadddio

I always come home with a current set of maps... I always thought... gee with the great animation staff you would think Disney could come up with a functional but better dressed up map. Maybe more people would keep them instead of throwing them on the ground, leave them on the benches, crumple them up and deposit them on the walkways and trash cans. I see so many of them thrown on the ground all over the parks.
Of course, what they would do is instead of simply keeping their park map, they would get two: One to use in the park and destroy and the other to keep 'perfect' as a memento.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom