Are you "spoiled" by WDW?

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
Before I visited WDW (actually only the MK as it was the only park, EPCOT was still under construction) as a child for the first time in 1982 I loved carnival rides, I went to all the fairs available in West Berlin over the year and loved all kinds of rides, especially the "Haunted House ride" called Geisterbahn in German, (translated "Ghost Train" but more meaning Ghost Ride"). I also loved to visit amusement parks in West Germany and could enjoy really corny and cheap rides. Then I went to the USA in 1982 and spent one, ONE day at the MK as a day guest during a bus round trip through Florida. When I came back to Germany I was bored beyond belief by the rides there, I never ever rode a Geisterbahn again, when my parents asked me "Why not", I answered "I have done the Haunted Mansion, I don't stand the cheap and unconvincing effects there any longer". And it stayed that way. When later as a teenager I went to fairs with friends I did a maximum of ONE ride per visit, I just said "Sorry, I have been to Disney World "(twice after 1984, third time after 1991), I am not interested in those primitive rides any longer and will not pay that much money for them (rides on German fairs have become ridicously expensive in the last 25 years). I wasn't even interested in visiting other amusement parks any more, I never went to the major parks in Germany like Europa Park (a huge park in European standards but IMHO only a cheap EPCOT ripp-off). Of course the increasing number of trips with increasingly longer stays (up to 20 days!) in the last 7 years, always as a resort guest, even worsened the situation. I am not even interested in visiting any other theme parks in the US (only exception Universal). I never went to Bush Gardens again after one visit in 1982, I never again went to Sea World Orlando after a visit in the same year. Although I had to recognize the increasing number of disappointments by TDOs park policy I still have the same attitude, even today I don't do a single ride in a German fair or visit a different park. Have you been "spoiled" by your visits to WDW as well or are you still able to enjoy more low-grade entertainment rides and parks?

Californian Elitist

Thank God I'm not like you, no offense.

I'm not spoiled by Disney, at all. I love it when a small and local carnival pops up in my neighborhood because of the classic amusement park rides I get to experience (Tilt-a-Whirl, anyone?!). I love the Santa Monica Pier and will continue to scream my head off on the Dragon Swing until I'm too old to ride. I'm going to try to get to the OC Fair before I have to return to school next month. I want to try fried Oreos.:D The pier/boardwalk up in San Jose, CA looks like a blast, and I hope to get there one day (gotta find someone who's willing to drive six hours from Los Angeles to San Jose). Speaking of carnival rides, Disney has carnival rides in their parks. Sure, they may look different, but they do the same things as the ones you see at piers and such.

I will visit and have a great time at any amusement/theme park, maybe with the exception of Sea World, given all that came out with Blackfish. I'd love to visit all the Six Flags parks in this country and visit theme parks/amusement parks around the globe.

This is just my opinion, but people need to stop with these ridiculous standards for having a good time and expand their horizons. You are missing out by staying faithful to one place and refusing to go elsewhere.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Larger theme parks like Disney and Universal may be top tier, but I still enjoy all kinds of amusement parks, carnivals, and fairs. Each has its own unique appeal. Sometimes, I think it's really fun to go on the old carny-style rides at a local fair.

Bottom line: I guess I like variety. Perhaps through the years, I've also learned to enjoy living "in the moment" and being happy with whatever options (carnivals, Disney, fairs) I had the opportunity to visit. :)

C&D

Spike, I like your candid opinion (and perspective); while never saying never, if I had to base my experience(s), in a nutshell, yeah, I'm pretty much 'spoiled' (but I think that as a good thing).

Last edited:

PigletIsMyCat

eh, kind of. i developed a fear of rides as i got older and stopped going to carnivals around age 21. i would get on rides and become terrified they'd break, and i'd often have full blown panic attacks. after going to disney world for the first time at age 24, i remember getting on some of the rides and still being nervous. i started thinking about it and realized disney is open and maintained 365 days a year - carnival rides are broken down and transported everywhere.

i no longer get scared all the time on disney and universal rides (i still do sometimes) but i won't go on any carnival rides any longer. we sometimes hit up street fairs, but i don't go on carnival rides any more and my husband never really liked them.

so yes, i guess you could say i've been 'spoiled' by disney... if spoiled means unafraid to ride rides and able to do so without having panic attacks ;) everyone has a different thing, and i don't think that it's ruined anything for me - i just prefer not to go to carnivals now.

Susan Savia

We had AP's to Kings Dominion in VA for many years while the kids were growing up but decided that our money was better spent making an annual trip to WDW.

belledream

every year people ask if we are going to the 07-04 fireworks in town and every year we say, nah we're good (too much traffic, etc) oh, and we say we've been too spoiled by the Disney fireworks that we'd be underwhelmed if we went. So ya, we are. for other reasons too
It seriously confused me that July 4th fireworks didn't come with a musical score!

To answer the main question, I certainly feel spoiled by Disney magic. One instance I can point to was a trip to Universal a few years ago. I went on Ripsaw Falls (?) and the inside of the ride was literally a dark log ride and you could see the metal/aluminum material of the inside of the mountain (or whatever it is) and it's like they didn't even care to make it look nice.

I still enjoy Six Flags/Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens for the super-thrilling rollercoasters, but that's about it. I shy away from carnival rides, more because they don't look 100% safe as opposed to fun...

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
When we visited Universal and Islands of Adventure 3 years ago, I did find myself comparing the food choices to Disney and, with the exception of the Three Broomsticks, found Uni to fall short. Found the same 3 choices of nasty greasy food that made me sick at most of the QS eateries. The line to buy our entrance ticket took about 40 minutes to get though, way longer than I've ever had to wait at Disney. No free fastpass. Had better experiences at Busch Gardens Williamsburg but still made comparisons.
Yes, it seems I am spoiled!

Gabriel Garcia

If I lived in Orlando then I would definitely say im spoiled but I've been to the county fair and Santa's Enchanted forest more then enough times that ive gotten bored of them, so I prefer going to Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, etc.. I wouldn't really take a road trip or flight to just any amusement park. In all fairness, going to a fair to eat is still a plus.

Jennifer66

I live in Ohio, so I love Cedar Point and King's Island. Totally different experience than WDW, but still amazingly fun. I think Uni comes closest to melding the theming of a park like MK with thrill rides, which is what makes it my teenagers' absolute favorite.

Obi

it has spoiled me within Disney itself. I'll admit that once I stayed at a deluxe villa that I didn't want to stay anywhere else but in a deluxe villa while at Disney. So much so that for the past couple of years I've been doing research, saving, and so on, into possibly becoming a dvc member. Lucky that my soon to be wife loves Disney too and is seriously interested in becoming a dvc member as well.

Obi

I live in Ohio, so I love Cedar Point and King's Island. Totally different experience than WDW, but still amazingly fun. I think Uni comes closest to melding the theming of a park like MK with thrill rides, which is what makes it my teenagers' absolute favorite.
use to get season passes for kings island back in the 80's. k.i. was a lot of fun.

BoarderPhreak

I'm very familiar with the fairs and carnivals in Germany, having attended many (my family's over there). But I can totally relate - once you go to WDW, you certainly are spoiled. While I still enjoy fairs and carnivals, even at more established parks like Six Flags, I do notice "the little things" (and some pretty glaring ones). They just don't compare to WDW, or really, any proper "theme park" as opposed to an "amusement park." Subtle distinction, but...

dadddio

We took the kids to a traveling carnival the other day. It was fun. I'm not spoiled, but it helps to be able to experience things through my kids.

JIMINYCR

Before Disney I took my DS & DW to every fair, carnival and park I could get to. We all loved the rides and amusements. Once we took the first Disney trip I couldnt get thrilled again by anything else. All rides, fireworks, parades, shows, get compared to Disney in my mind and cant compare. Oh I'll still go but I'm never as thrilled, excited, awestruck, entertained or satisfied until I pass through those Disney gates and get the real thing.

Allym146

Yes I am, but I'd never tell my friends I wouldn't go on rides with them or visit parks because I've been to Disney and nothing else can compare! Saying that to my friends would make me a pompous bragging butthead:).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom