kap91

So, once it uses all it's available space, it will be out of space? That's some dizzying logic. At this point, DAK literally have a ton of cleared but undeveloped land. It has a massive amount of expansion space.

And even once they use the stuff already earmarked for future development, they still have space that can be redeveloped for guest use (e.g. the land on the west side of the park or behind Asia/Dinoland). Saying that other parks which are more closed in have space for development but DAK does not seems absurd to me. There's literally no need to even consider the parking area in DAK considering other options should land be needed (which wouldn't be needed for a long time).

yeah that's pretty backwards logic. Heck people were saying Disneyland had no space 30 years ago and it's still managed to wrestle in new things without destroying old ones and still has 1-2 easily useable plots.

PorterRedkey

Properly designed garages are a better experience in the hot Florida sun than trekking across acres of blacktop. They can be clad and decorated, even with green growing things so the argument that they are some concrete monolith doesn't have to be the case.

I think the point of the flat,open (read barren) parking lot is to contrast with the rich fertile land that makes up the Animal Kingdom. After crossing the "barren" land of the lot, where do we arrive? The Oasis, which is the name of the first area you encounter in the park.

However, I do agree that all parking garages are not the same. If AK needed space because of all the new themed bathrooms and MnG's had used it up the in-park land. I would hope they would do something like in the pictures below. Being as tight with the $ as TDO is, I have my doubt they would go to this level of detail though.

jaja-architects-parking-garage.jpg

CLOSE UP - DAY
ParkPlay-Car-Park-Jaja-Architects-6.jpg

CLOSE UP - NIGHT
ParkPlay-Car-Park-Jaja-Architects-13.jpg

Disney could do some cool design like this, but with animals. I doubt they would spend the money, but it could be done well.
At the current rate Disney is building things, I will be long dead before Disney will need to use AK parking lot as an expansion pad. So for me, I guess this point is moot.

PorterRedkey

Hooray! Something Fantastic will finally have a presence in the parks!

While I love the Disney movie Something Fantastic and the too good to go Straight-to-DVD sequel, Something Fantastic 2: It's More Fantastic Now, I really wish Disney would create more rides with new characters and stories. ;)

twebber55

I think the point of the flat,open (read barren) parking lot is to contrast with the rich fertile land that makes up the Animal Kingdom. After crossing the "barren" land of the lot, where do we arrive? The Oasis, which is the name of the first area you encounter in the park.

However, I do agree that all parking garages are not the same. If AK needed space because of all the new themed bathrooms and MnG's had used it up the in-park land. I would hope they would do something like in the pictures below. Being as tight with the $ as TDO is, I have my doubt they would go to this level of detail though.

jaja-architects-parking-garage.jpg

CLOSE UP - DAY
ParkPlay-Car-Park-Jaja-Architects-6.jpg

CLOSE UP - NIGHT
ParkPlay-Car-Park-Jaja-Architects-13.jpg

Disney could do some cool design like this, but with animals. I doubt they would spend the money, but it could be done well.
At the current rate Disney is building things, I will be long dead before Disney will need to use AK parking lot as an expansion pad. So for me, I guess this point is moot.
I agree this looks nice but I d rather Disney spend money on rides and themeing in the park than on a parking lot

dstrawn9889

asthetics be darned! it is a parking deck, not the attraction. as long as it holds mass amount of parked cars, is easy to get into and out of, what else do you think it needs? a 4 sided regular polygon is the most efficient structure to build, and most certainly the biggest reason, very little wasted space on the deck floors. a round would have tons of waste, other polygons the same

Last edited:

doctornick

So, I remember hearing that Blue Sky Cellar at DCA is reopening soon with a new exhibit (feel free to correct if wrong). DLR doesn't have any announced plans on the horizon (maybe Monstropolis), so is it possible that they could put Avatar plans there?

dstrawn9889

here how about this: 'sources claim that there is tons of mud all around, with sheet pilings being driven and footers being poured for the next 3 months'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom