The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

John

See, my history with Monte Cristo's (Sp?) also began with Disney. Just not at DL.

There was a time (let's call it WDW's first 15 years) when they were a specialty at the long-gone Town Square Cafe on MSUSA (yes, what Tony's now is). That's where I had my first artery clogging taste of one.

But like much of WDW's culinary history (what I wouldn't give for their homemade Italian salad dressing that was available all over property in the 70s and 80s and served at the last location, Trail's End at FW, until the mid-late 90s), it simply was wiped away like it never happened.

To expand on this just a bit.....it wasn't just at Town Square...it was all over the resort you could literally eat lie a king. Even at the most modest QS location there was great pride in what they served. I literally gained 5-8 lbs in seven days. I am in excellent physical condition so it was easily lost. For me it was one of the top three reasons I visited WDW.....was to eat. You wanted 5 star....it was there. You wanted a cooked to order burger they could do that also. Now it is a grey inedible piece of crap!

asianway

To expand on this just a bit.....it wasn't just at Town Square...it was all over the resort you could literally eat lie a king. Even at the most modest QS location there was great pride in what they served. I literally gained 5-8 lbs in seven days. I am in excellent physical condition so it was easily lost. For me it was one of the top three reasons I visited WDW.....was to eat. You wanted 5 star....it was there. You wanted a cooked to order burger they could do that also. Now it is a grey inedible piece of crap!
Anyone ever go to the Disney Inn when they were grilling burgers out by the pool?

RSoxNo1

See, my history with Monte Cristo's (Sp?) also began with Disney. Just not at DL.

There was a time (let's call it WDW's first 15 years) when they were a specialty at the long-gone Town Square Cafe on MSUSA (yes, what Tony's now is). That's where I had my first artery clogging taste of one.

But like much of WDW's culinary history (what I wouldn't give for their homemade Italian salad dressing that was available all over property in the 70s and 80s and served at the last location, Trail's End at FW, until the mid-late 90s), it simply was wiped away like it never happened.
The fact that Monte Cristo's aren't available in WDW is a crime against humanity. I ordered one from a catering place near my office last week and it was awful. It was essentially a ham, turkey and cheese grilled cheese with horseradish sauce. I would argue that it was the worst sandwich I've ever had, while the 4 cheese Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans is the best sandwich I've ever had.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Yes, I hear you. Dining was a HUGE part of my WDW trips, at least those in the late 80s and on.

I still love food (like that fried cheesecake I had with lunch yesterday), but WDW dining just isn't a big deal to me because they have largely either priced me out (not because I can't afford it, but because I'm not stupid enough to spend it) of favorite locations or made it near impossible to get in. Screw them. I'll eat at DD and non Disney owned and operated locales ... go to lunch at places like Sanaa with 40% off CM discounts (making the food cost what it is worth) and spend more time dining at UNI, its resorts and City Walk.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone ever go to the Disney Inn when they were grilling burgers out by the pool?

Nope. Believe it or not, but I never dined at the Golf Resort/Disney Inn before it became SoG.

I always heard that the food at the Trophy Room was very good and recall trying to convince the folks to head over there in the 80s for some prime rib and it didn't work out.

asianway

Nope. Believe it or not, but I never dined at the Golf Resort/Disney Inn before it became SoG.

I always heard that the food at the Trophy Room was very good and recall trying to convince the folks to head over there in the 80s for some prime rib and it didn't work out.
It's a good thing they got rid of that nasty prime rib off the menus to satisfy the WalMart crowd

Goofyernmost

Disney won't 'grab' anyone. They have a strictly hands off policy. And if a CM doesn't actually see an item or items being lifted, then they absolutely will not even attempt to call security. ... To be blunt, they would be having multiple ugly physical altercations every day in every park if they decided to go after them. Of course, one has to ask when did things get so bad and why?
Simple answer... just as soon as the internet allowed them to know that Disney wouldn't stop anyone for shoplifting. Not taking action created the atmosphere that if you have even a minor bit of larceny in your soul, this is the place to satisfy it. It has been documented over and over that nothing will happen. So in the words of Nike ( a world leader in morality and compassion)... why not Just Do It!

Nubs70

When it first opened, was very reasonably priced (even by real world standards) and had some unusual combinations you couldn't get at Subway. And that fresh baked bread taste gave the sandwiches an X factor. Friendly service, too, like Chik-Fil-A good.

Since then they've upped the prices, dumbed down the menu, and let customer service go down the tubes. Still a couple decent sandwiches tho, and still almost on a par price-wise with the also good but overpriced Quiznos.
But in relation to a WDW, Earl's feeds my family a decent (good not great) meal for about $35. A WDW qs meal runs me $60 - $65 for something that is mediocre at best. The delta of ($*quality) = perceived value.

I just had a lobster roll at Harbor House which was more like a vegetarian mayo salad sandwich.

Last edited:

Phil12

Disney was never concerned about soda thievery. Nutjob fans were. ... and eventually, some middle manager (who likely read fan forums like this) started observing folks bringing back old mugs and the result was ... RapidFill.

I don't think the shoplifting deal will change because they don't want a scene where some teen (or like the poor guy who was murdered by cops in NYC for selling cigarettes) is on the ground cursing and bleeding in a chokehold because he walked out of the Emporium with $150 worth of pins that cost Disney about $2 to make. And while there will always be those who steal, I can't help but think that Disney has brought their current problem (which is a whole lot bigger than they'd admit) on themselves by gouging guests. People who feel a company is doing them dirty (rightly or wrongly) are more likely to act out against the company.
Wal-Mart has a similar loss prevention policy: http://www.wlox.com/story/5147534/w...rtcom-concerned-workers-question-policy-shift

71jason

But in relation to a WDW, Earl's feeds my family a decent (good not great) meal for about $35. A WDW qs meal runs me $60 - $65 for something that is mediocre at best. The delta of ($*quality) = perceived value.

I just had a lobster roll at Harbor House which was more like a vegetarian mayo salad sandwich.

No argument on quality of most in-park quick-serve, but when was the last time you were at Earl? The $5.50 sandwiches are now like $6.50--throw in the similarly upcharged chips and a drink, close to $12 meal. Still better than the parks--and as I said, on a par with Quiznos in terms of price--but not the bargain it was when it opened. It doesn't help the service has gone downhill, as well; again, when it opened, it was better than most places on property.

Nubs70

No argument on quality of most in-park quick-serve, but when was the last time you were at Earl? The $5.50 sandwiches are now like $6.50--throw in the similarly upcharged chips and a drink, close to $12 meal. Still better than the parks--and as I said, on a par with Quiznos in terms of price--but not the bargain it was when it opened. It doesn't help the service has gone downhill, as well; again, when it opened, it was better than most places on property.
Last Monday. I got out of there for around $35 IIRC, probably a little more. I do know it was far less than any qs during my entire stay and of much better quality.

StageFrenzy

The sandwiches are tiny as well, I feel like they need to offer a larger version.

jlsHouston

10171030_1484222765159172_4110779843401896247_n (1).jpg

I don't deep fry mine...I make them like a french toast sandwich, they are probably just as artery clogging though

AEfx

Heck, everybody's got to die of something. Might as well be that as grunting to hard while on the toilet and having a cardiac arrest. Known that to happen and frankly I'd rather go out earlier from a less embarrassing situation. :in pain::hungover:

Very true - though you'd go out in good company - both Elvis and Judy Garland died while sittin' on the throne.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom