Peter Pan Live on NBC

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Yeah they just cast Christopher Walken as Captain Hook. The producers tried to get a few different big names for Peter Pan (including Kristen Bell) but all the ladies couldn't fit it into their schedules with the other projects they have. The rehearsals are Aug 15 - Dec 15 - when most of the regular TV shows are filming.

I'm interested in how they do this. There is some pretty politically incorrect Native stuff in the musical unless they cut that song.

BuddyThomas

Yes this is very, very old news. It was announced long ago. There are ten mile long threads on broadwayworld.com with everyone fighting over who should play Peter. And they fight with their gloves off over there because it is a very, very lightly monitored board. If you ever think people aren't nice on this board, just take a stroll over to broadwayworld and you will see some pretty toxic arguments that our anything on here to shame.

Anyway, I personally think Pink should play Peter, but that will probably never happen. Miley's name has also been bandied about, as has Chris Colfer from Glee when they were talking about casting a boy as Peter. And for those of you longing to see a menopausal woman as Peter, Kristen Chenowith also has fans pushing for her. And hey, why not? I think Mary Martin and Cathy Rigby were both playing this into their 40's and 50's.

On a related note, a live Grease is also being planned.

Allym146

Original Poster
@BuddyThomas haha I know, I belong to another board that is a free for all. About 90% of the people here would be clutching their pearls. It's hard to transition sometimes.

If Miley plays Peter, I may not watch. Kristen would make a good tink! Otherwise, I find her borderline insufferable.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I think they will have a hard time casting Miley as she is currently on tour. So I doubt we will get her. Most network shows are currently filming so all those actresses are out of the running too. You need someone who has off Aug - Dec. There have said there will be no one cast as Tinkerbell they will do the traditional light and bell sound effects.

BuddyThomas

I think they will have a hard time casting Miley as she is currently on tour. So I doubt we will get her. Most network shows are currently filming so all those actresses are out of the running too. You need someone who has off Aug - Dec. There have said there will be no one cast as Tinkerbell they will do the traditional light and bell sound effects.
You are right. Miley will not be happening. Classy to the bitter end, Ms. Cyrus tweeted that she would rather "choke on her tongue" than be in this...............and I wish her luck with that.
;)

Magenta Panther

My god, not Miley. She was always minimally talented, and now she's using that talent to be completely gross. Not much of a stretch I guess.

Anyway, I think Peter should be played by a male channeling Bobby Driscoll.

BuddyThomas

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...s-star-nbc-peter-675942?mobile_redirect=false

Looks like it will be Allison Williams for Peter Pan. I'm not too familiar with her as I don't watch girls. Not sure what else she's been in?

Very unexpected choice and not sure how they plan on marketing this. After all, the audience for Girls is not necessarily foaming at the mouth to watch a family musical.

Also, she is newscaster Brian Williams' daughter, for whatever that is worth.

Magenta Panther

Why does it have to be a girl? I know that the stage tradition of Peter Pan is that Peter's played by a girl...and that's okay on stage, I guess, and 1950's TV (Mary Martin). But why now? Seems kind of silly for the 21st century. And besides, while "Pan" author J.M. Barrie agreed to let the part be played by a girl when his play was first produced...he nevertheless always wanted the role to be played by a boy:

According to Birkin, Barrie always wished to see a boy play Peter on stage, though he never lived to see it occur. (In 1921, he tried to convince Charlie Chaplin to direct and star in a screen version. Chaplin considered it, but the film never came to fruition.) If NBC does wind up casting a male in the part, it will join those other exceptions as a fulfillment of the author’s wishes.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...tory_of_casting_the_j_m_barrie_character.html

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
First image of Peter Pan

enhanced-21644-1409755797-3.jpg

Monkee Girl

Why does it have to be a girl? I know that the stage tradition of Peter Pan is that Peter's played by a girl...and that's okay on stage, I guess, and 1950's TV (Mary Martin). But why now? Seems kind of silly for the 21st century. And besides, while "Pan" author J.M. Barrie agreed to let the part be played by a girl when his play was first produced...he nevertheless always wanted the role to be played by a boy:

According to Birkin, Barrie always wished to see a boy play Peter on stage, though he never lived to see it occur. (In 1921, he tried to convince Charlie Chaplin to direct and star in a screen version. Chaplin considered it, but the film never came to fruition.) If NBC does wind up casting a male in the part, it will join those other exceptions as a fulfillment of the author’s wishes.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...tory_of_casting_the_j_m_barrie_character.html

I have no issue with a female Peter Pan. It's been the stage tradition forever just like Captain Hook plays Mr. Darling, and a man always plays Edna Turnblad. It's just the thing. And not to sound feminist, which I am usually not, but with all the awesome roles men have, why take a female's normal roll away? Stage Peter Pan is 'our thing', So I am fine if they keep it that way.

Now as for this show, I just watched the NBC interview with Williams and she seems really nice...but is she the right choice for the role or was she picked because her dad works at the studio? She seems way to feminine and 'scrawny.' Are they using ropes for the flying? Will she be able to do the stunts? I think my favorite Peter is Kathy Rigby I guess because she looks like a boy and had the skills from gymastics to do the stunts. So she came off much more convincing than Mary Martin (who is awesome, of course, but the Rigby version is amazing). I wish they had done something similar to that and chose someone with a little more experience. Not saying she can't be good. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

I am looking forward to this show. I love the old fashioned idea of a live one time only special that people have to schedule to tune in to. Reminds me of when I was a kid waiting for Martin's Peter to come on. Sound of Music was cool, I didn't like Carrie Underwood in the role at all but the over all production was great. I hope Peter Pan is good, it's successful and they continue to do it with man other productions. It's a great idea.

Magenta Panther

I have no issue with a female Peter Pan. It's been the stage tradition forever just like Captain Hook plays Mr. Darling, and a man always plays Edna Turnblad. It's just the thing. And not to sound feminist, which I am usually not, but with all the awesome roles men have, why take a female's normal roll away? Stage Peter Pan is 'our thing', So I am fine if they keep it that way.

It is a stage tradition, but it's not one James Barrie favored. I think it'd be cool of the current Pan production to break tradition and present the play as Barrie would have preferred it. Besides, a female does play a major role in "Peter Pan"...she goes by the name of "Wendy"... ;)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Christopher Walken in costume

Peter-Pan-Live.jpg

Christopher Walken—hook and all—is set to battle Allison Williams in this first look at his take on Captain Hook from NBC’s upcoming live production of Peter Pan. Walken’s lavishly outfitted Hook has a villainous look in his eyes as he towers over Williams’ Pan—a taste of what’s to come when they tackle the musical that opened on Broadway in 1954.

While Walken is a stage veteran, he told EW‘s Clark Collis that singing isn’t his forte. “I’m not a good singer,” he said, but he’s taking cues from another Broadway and film legend. “The songs are done almost like patter. Think Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady.”

As for his co-star Williams, Walken said she’s “wonderful,” telling Collis, “I suspect she really can sing.”

Taylor-Louderman_612x380.jpg

Taylor Louderman, known for her lead role on Broadway’s Bring It On: The Musical, has been cast as Wendy Darling in Peter Pan Live!,

a99ddb_18a865865e7d4653a89da30ee279e76d.jpg_srz_296_195_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Alanna Saunders has joined the cast as Tiger Lily, the Native American who rules her “islanders” on Neverland before being captured by Captain Hook (and later rescued by Peter Pan). Tiger Lily then becomes an ally of Peter, Wendy, and company in their efforts to take down Hook, her stage credits include Gypsy and A Chorus Line.

Livialovesdisney

I don't know, I like that it's a girl but I don't like it at the same time. Only because I'll know it's a girl the entire time and Peter Pan is a boy...But either way, I am still really looking forward to this! I would love to see it live, Peter pan is a favorite of mine.. Only a few months away now.

And may I just say, thank goodness Miley is not playing Peter pan! I am just imagining her twang,"Here we goooo!"

No, no, no! Haha

Monkee Girl

wow, you know, if the actor plays it well, I always get lost in the part and never questioned the whole 'girl' thing. Mary Martin, sure because she played it like a girl. but watch Kathy Rigby, you totally forget that she is a 50 year old woman. besides, if the pictures are any indication, I think she looks great. As does Walkin. I look forward to seeing his Hook.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Lots of Newsies cast members will be in Peter Pan. I hope this means amazing dancing.

Full casting has been announced for NBC's upcoming live broadcast of the classic Moose Charlap, Jule Styne, Carolyn Leigh, Betty Comden, and Adolph Green musical Peter Pan.

The Lost Boys will be played by Newsiesalums Jacob Guzman, David Guzman, Ryan Steele, Daniel Quadrino, and Garrett Hawe, alongside Bring It On's Jason Gotay, Holler If Ya Hear Me cast members F. Michael Haynie and Dillon Burnside, and Chris McCarrell and Michael Hartung.

The company of Pirates includes Bryce Ryness, Michael Park, Chris Sullivan, Austin Lesch, T. Oliver Reid, Gary Milner, Matt Wall, Ryan Andes, and John Arthur Greene.

Islanders, Pirates, Litter Bearers, and Mermen will be played by Dominique Kelley, Marty Lawson, Charlie Williams, Michael Munday, CJ Tyson, Alex Wong (also of Newsies), Andrew Pirozzi, James Brown III, and Keenan Washington.

Taking on the roles of the Darling children are Newsies alum Jake Lucas (John), John Allyn (Michael), and Caitlin Houlahan (Jane).

They join an ensemble led by Allison Williams as Peter Pan and Christopher Walken as Captain Hook, with Kelli O'Hara as Mrs. Darling, Christian Borle as Mr. Darling and Smee, Taylor Louderman as Wendy, and Alanna Saunders as Tiger Lily.

Peter Pan Live! will air December 4 on NBC.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Minnie Driver will play adult Wendy/narrator

Also NBC will air a behind-the-scenes special, The Making of Peter Pan Live, on Wednesday, Nov. 26 at 8 p.m.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom