New Haven CT to Orlando .... any epic places to eat while I drive?

KAAAAAHN

Leaving at 11 am to get through the Tappan Zee Bridge by 1 PM which Googles map traffic history says gets busy at 1:30. I should blow right through the Tappan Zee.

I will be going around Washington DC altogether by taking route 81.

It will be myself and my wife and two kids (ages 7 and 9)

Here's the trip plan:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New...063ca5bf9e!2m2!1d-81.3792365!2d28.5383355!3e0

So, I'm not worried about lunch right now but I figure that planning dinner could make for a more enjoyable trip.

Any good recommendations for dinner as we get to the Stratsburg, Virginia area? Somewhere near where 81 meets 66. I want somewhere that is fast service but if there are any unique places that we could try out, I'd love to try them. I'd be happy with a diner or a burger place. It can be adult oriented food so long as there are kids menus with chicken nuggets ;-) The only request is that they not be far off of route 81.

Any good diners for breakfast in Georgia or as we enter Florida?

Metilinos

Good luck guy.

I drove to Disney once from Nashua, NH. Literally on the border of MA. 23 hour drive. Initially had planned to do it over the course of one day (Let's just say that didn't happen) and left a few days early. We ended up in Orlando a day early, we did speed and didn't hit any real traffic (But we did get nailed somewhere in NY on the way back and ended up getting stuck for a few hours).

Fly now. It's so much easier. Way cheaper to drive it, but hell I'm all about the convenience of the flight.

Can't really help you too much with the dinner things; we mainly grabbed fast food for lunch and went to whatever restaurants were around whatever hotel we found vacancy at when we stopped for the night. I don't even believe we stopped in Virginia. I believe the first night we ended up stopping around Maryland, Took off the next day and ended in Savannah, GA. After Georgia we drove straight into Orlando and then Disney the next morning.

Upvote 0

KAAAAAHN

Original Poster
We're saving almost $1k versus flying. The downside is that it is thanks to a prius.

We've done the drive before . Its not bad, just boring.

I'll hit up TripAdvisor to find places to eat near stratsburg.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We've driven from RI several times before. Have you considered instead of doing the TappanZee, going up 91 to 84 to 81? I t might be a bit longer but it saves you a lot of headaches, and you'll probably make better time.

Upvote 0

KAAAAAHN

Original Poster
91 to 84 to 81 is faster than hitting the Tappanzee and then going to 81?

I don't mind congestion. 45 in a 65 is fine. 15 in a 65 is when I start getting mad. Just stop and go bothers me. I don't think I'll get stop and go if I do the tappan Zee and get to the Tappan Zee at a reasonable time.

I should get through Allentown, PA before the 3 PM rush hour start. Harrisburg also looks like it gets bad at rush hour but that is more of a 45 in a 65 type problem.

I mostly just don't want to go through NYC or anywhere near Washington, DC. That hsould result in smooth sailing.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We stopped doing the TappanZee many years ago when we waited at a complete stop for over a half hour before even getting to the bridge. Like I said, we come from RI, so we actually take 95 to 9 to Middletown, then 66 to 691 to 84. Works well for us so far, and we've done it several times. I'm just not a fan of driving 95 through CT anyway.;)

Upvote 0

Lexie

I have done the ct to wdw drive many times and although it is not a super quick stop love going to Cracker Barrel for dinner. Bathrooms are always clean and the food is good... They are scattered along 95 especially Virginia and south

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I can't really answer your question because I was an oblivious kid when we used to drive from Stratford CT (neighbors!) to Orlando but I do remember stopping at some quirky, fun and good barbecue places in Georgia and FL.
Safe travels and have a great Disney trip!

Upvote 0

hlmclem722

Leaving at 11 am to get through the Tappan Zee Bridge by 1 PM which Googles map traffic history says gets busy at 1:30. I should blow right through the Tappan Zee.

I will be going around Washington DC altogether by taking route 81.

It will be myself and my wife and two kids (ages 7 and 9)

Here's the trip plan:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New Haven, CT/Tappan Zee/Orlando, FL/@38.3490147,-77.1251209,5z/data=!4m25!4m24!1m5!1m1!1s0x89e7d8443a8070e5:0xf6a354c659b264ed!2m2!1d-72.9278835!2d41.308274!1m10!1m1!1s0x89c2ec7e787df035:0x6aa117f43475cfcb!2m2!1d-73.891336!2d41.013111!3m4!1m2!1d-78.2174106!2d39.0826214!3s0x89b5ea3a45999f55:0xe3fbe3dc2323466!1m5!1m1!1s0x88e773d8fecdbc77:0xac3b2063ca5bf9e!2m2!1d-81.3792365!2d28.5383355!3e0

So, I'm not worried about lunch right now but I figure that planning dinner could make for a more enjoyable trip.

Any good recommendations for dinner as we get to the Stratsburg, Virginia area? Somewhere near where 81 meets 66. I want somewhere that is fast service but if there are any unique places that we could try out, I'd love to try them. I'd be happy with a diner or a burger place. It can be adult oriented food so long as there are kids menus with chicken nuggets ;-) The only request is that they not e far off of route 81.

Any good diners for breakfast in Georgia or as we enter Florida?

We are in Jersey and drive. We frequent Boston and always take the Tappan Zee avoiding GWB at all costs. The Mount Kisco diner in Mount Kisco is very good. All lil more pricey then some of our local diners here but clean and have always been happy with our meals. It is a few miles off the exit but a very pretty drive from the exit to the diner. The other stop headed south is Steak and Shake...Total burger joint but we do not have them in Jersey so they are a fun stop for us. There is a brand new one in Savanna GA at the Hilton International Airport exit. Sorry I don't remember exit numbers. There are a few restaurants at the exit but the steak and shake is very good. During the weekday between 2-4 they have half price milkshakes. As for VA...we usually do Cracker Barrell. I can't give you help in that area. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

jiminy.cricket

The Savannah area and Tybee Island should have tons of fantastic breakfast and brunch places, especially if you like seafood. Most of them are sit-down, but I'm sure some are walk-in.

Upvote 0

ArielLover

Good luck guy.

I drove to Disney once from Nashua, NH. Literally on the border of MA. 23 hour drive. Initially had planned to do it over the course of one day (Let's just say that didn't happen) and left a few days early. We ended up in Orlando a day early, we did speed and didn't hit any real traffic (But we did get nailed somewhere in NY on the way back and ended up getting stuck for a few hours).

Fly now. It's so much easier. Way cheaper to drive it, but hell I'm all about the convenience of the flight.

Can't really help you too much with the dinner things; we mainly grabbed fast food for lunch and went to whatever restaurants were around whatever hotel we found vacancy at when we stopped for the night. I don't even believe we stopped in Virginia. I believe the first night we ended up stopping around Maryland, Took off the next day and ended in Savannah, GA. After Georgia we drove straight into Orlando and then Disney the next morning.

I drive at minimum every two years from Nashua. I actually enjoy the drive - we take 2 days to do it. I have taken the Tappanzee and the GW bridge, if its off hours on the weekend the GW is faster.

We also try to find new places to eat. My wife enjoyed a Steak N Shake. We have also tried Hardees and a few Golden Corrals (none of these places are in NH).

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

I used to drive from New Jersey to Florida twice a year, and I have to be honest, I tried to time it where we got thru the Washington DC/Va are as smoothly as possible. LOL We always ate a Cracker Barrel. Easy to get to, and both breakfast and dinner (there are many up and down I95) were very reasonable and good. Have a safe trip!!

Upvote 0

Metilinos

I drive at minimum every two years from Nashua. I actually enjoy the drive - we take 2 days to do it. I have taken the Tappanzee and the GW bridge, if its off hours on the weekend the GW is faster.

We also try to find new places to eat. My wife enjoyed a Steak N Shake. We have also tried Hardees and a few Golden Corrals (none of these places are in NH).

Driving is hands down cheaper (I think when we drove we took a Camry, so mileage wasn't terrible, maybe 29mpg, and we spent maybe $200-$400 total in gas? I could be wrong on that but we stopped maybe five times to fill up, and at times we weren't at empty). Instead of spending $1100 (cheapest flight yet..), you'll get a small fraction of it. On the other end of the spectrum, you don't get the vehicle wear'n'tear and the flight is only a fraction of the time (convenience is a pretty big up too..)

My honest opinion guy would be to just get off wherever you plan on hanging the night, maybe ask around for restaurants at whatever hotel you crash at for the night, as they should probably know of some. Yelp is a pretty good app for finding some low key diners. Can't say we really hit anything crazy outside of chain restaurants on the way down.

Upvote 0

ArielLover

Driving is hands down cheaper (I think when we drove we took a Camry, so mileage wasn't terrible, maybe 29mpg, and we spent maybe $200-$400 total in gas? I could be wrong on that but we stopped maybe five times to fill up, and at times we weren't at empty). Instead of spending $1100 (cheapest flight yet..), you'll get a small fraction of it. On the other end of the spectrum, you don't get the vehicle wear'n'tear and the flight is only a fraction of the time (convenience is a pretty big up too..)

My honest opinion guy would be to just get off wherever you plan on hanging the night, maybe ask around for restaurants at whatever hotel you crash at for the night, as they should probably know of some. Yelp is a pretty good app for finding some low key diners. Can't say we really hit anything crazy outside of chain restaurants on the way down.
For me it isn't even about the cost. A few factors on why we drive:

-My wife never had a vacation growing up and she loves to see the different areas/states
-I hate to fly, I actually need medication to control my nerves to fly
-I have a high stress job and the ride actually gives me time to de-stress and forget about work

Upvote 0

loriloughs

Have driven to Orlando many times from Jersey. Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but we stopped at a Cracker Barrel in North Carolina and the food was inedible! Gross! Also in North Carolina they by law have to cook burgers to the point where you could use them as soles for your shoes! Most chain restaurants should be ok and it's nice that you can use your gps to find a place. Have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

coachwnh

91 to 84 to 81 is faster than hitting the Tappanzee and then going to 81?

I don't mind congestion. 45 in a 65 is fine. 15 in a 65 is when I start getting mad. Just stop and go bothers me. I don't think I'll get stop and go if I do the tappan Zee and get to the Tappan Zee at a reasonable time.

I should get through Allentown, PA before the 3 PM rush hour start. Harrisburg also looks like it gets bad at rush hour but that is more of a 45 in a 65 type problem.

I mostly just don't want to go through NYC or anywhere near Washington, DC. That hsould result in smooth sailing.
Allentown on 22 in brutal between 3-5 pm. Im assuming you will go 278 to 78 to 81 however). When we drive to Florida from this area we take 95 straight down. Heading to Harrisburg and down 81 just seems out of the way to us (and we live right along those roads) Good luck

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom