The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

SJN1279

Look, we can differ over opinion and that's fine. But UNI has gone ahead of WDW in so many ways, from value for the $$$ to building the best cutting edge attractions in O-Town, to having MUCH higher quality resorts to having Team Members who don't look like they'd like to put a gun in their mouth when their shift ends to having unique themed merchandise to having parks that don't feel stuck in the 90s and neglected etc.

UNI HAS SURPASSED DISNEY in the above and countless little things. Again, if I can walk up and get a filet mignon at Mythos for $17.99 for lunch BEFORE discount, why do I have to book Le Cellier six months ahead for the privilege of eating a $45 a la carte steak?

WDW ultimately has contempt for its workers and contempt for its guests. You either see this or you don't.

UNI will never FEEL like WDW. NEVER. Because it isn't WDW. That doesn't mean that UNI can't or doesn't objectively offer a better quality product. It just doesn't have that Pixie Dust that BRAND addicts have been hooked on. I get that because I was one once too.

You'd be surprised at what action posting on a forum can cause ... and some of us, some of us are working to improve things through other channels as well.

Disney is better than Universal in regards to:

-Serving guests with food allergies

-having a much more organized baby swap policy

-having attractions the whole family can enjoy together

-Parades

-Having a Fastpass option without guests spending more money

-Night time shows

DonaldDoleWhip

Look, we can differ over opinion and that's fine. But UNI has gone ahead of WDW in so many ways, from value for the $$$ to building the best cutting edge attractions in O-Town, to having MUCH higher quality resorts to having Team Members who don't look like they'd like to put a gun in their mouth when their shift ends to having unique themed merchandise to having parks that don't feel stuck in the 90s and neglected etc.

UNI HAS SURPASSED DISNEY in the above and countless little things. Again, if I can walk up and get a filet mignon at Mythos for $17.99 for lunch BEFORE discount, why do I have to book Le Cellier six months ahead for the privilege of eating a $45 a la carte steak?

WDW ultimately has contempt for its workers and contempt for its guests. You either see this or you don't.

UNI will never FEEL like WDW. NEVER. Because it isn't WDW. That doesn't mean that UNI can't or doesn't objectively offer a better quality product. It just doesn't have that Pixie Dust that BRAND addicts have been hooked on. I get that because I was one once too.

You'd be surprised at what action posting on a forum can cause ... and some of us, some of us are working to improve things through other channels as well.
I won't argue at all that Uni offers a better value right now compared to WDW. My Uni annual pass was the same price as buying a 3 or 4-day park hopper at Disney (I haven't renewed my WDW ticket, btw), and many of Uni's rides are great. The quick service didn't blow me away - I would say WDW wins in that department (and offers more reasonable prices), but Vivo in CityWalk impressed me. I actually had a $17 squid ink pasta dish that was probably better than the $20 microwaved spaghetti at Tony's (I wouldn't know - I've never bothered with Tony's). And of course, the Wizarding World is a clear success with thematically relevant food and beverages that people feel compelled to buy (I also found myself under Harry's spell!).

Unfortunately, all of that will grow stale for me eventually because Uni doesn't have the immersion and escapism of WDW. The only way for Uni to challenge WDW is to keep building: new rides, a third gate, a water park, etc. Disney, on the other hand, is still what most people think of when they envision a trip to Orlando. Until Uni comes close to matching Disney on that front, I think TDO will refuse to budge.

And I hope your last sentence is correct...

SJN1279

Universal is better than Disney in regards to:

-Resort pricing even though they are much less affordable than they used to be

-Resort perks(express beats Extra Magic Hours and early fastpass booking)

-Portofino is the best hotel Disney/Universal hotel in Orlando

-Building attractions at a faster pace

seascape

Universal is better than Disney in regards to:

-Resort pricing even though they are much less affordable than they used to be

-Resort perks(express beats Extra Magic Hours and early fastpass booking)

-Portofino is the best hotel Disney/Universal hotel in Orlando

-Building attractions at a faster pace
Your two posts were extremely fair and accurate.

The Empress Lilly

Is it just a love for the Empress Lilly or all Sternwheelers? I have a Sternwheeler named the Valley Gem that travels up and down the river in what we call the front yard of our cabin.
I love all WDW watercraft, I guess. All those boats everywhere! That so caught my imagination when I was young. The Empress Lilly, despite being precisely the one that can't sail, is the prettiest one of all, the one I like best. She also holds many personal memories. And is a symbol of how I view WDW: with great regret how they took a place that was once elegant and sophisticated, and then turned it into a loud abrasive joint for the great unwashed.

I'd love to have my own sternwheeler! That is just terrific! I adore sternwheelers in general. They are so lovely American. I'm instantly transported not just to the past, but also to the Mississippi or exotic (yes!) Ohio. Do you perchance own the Miss Lily landing barge? Is that yours? That one would be so awesome to have at WDW. Would love that for cruises and weddings on the Seven Seas.

Last edited:

SJN1279

Alright let's clear a few things up here,

First off I never started the one ride per day rumor, I merely took a picture and tweeted the reride wait time sign in front of Hogwarts Express at the south station confirming it's been thrown around by operations. I said many other things about the HE months before anyone else but this "rumor" wasn't mine.

Second of all to say this land has been anything but a success shows a lack of looking deeper into the situation. We all know that Diagon holds a lot more people than Hogsmeade but what most people are not paying attention to is the difference between IOA in 2010 and USF in 2014. When Hogsmeade opened in 2010 people came for Potter and stayed for Potter. While wait times were outrageous in Hogsmeade other parts of IOA were practically empty and the Studios was a ghost town. In addition IOA was never built to handle the crowds people saw during the Summer of 2010. It was very unorganized and led to wait times that were much longer than were really calked for.

Fast forward to July 8th 2014 and it's a much different story. Again let's mention Diagons capacity which is more than double that of Hogsmeade. Then let's focus on what no one can argue. Wait times for other attractions in the Studios are longer. Simpsons, Transformers, DM, and the lot are doing exactly what there supposed to do by spreading crowds out. In addition the Studios is able to handle crowds much larger than that of IOA with ease. With the opening of Diagon many things were learned from 2010 and very much improved upon. No celebrities, parking garages opened at 5am, queues set up park wide for overflow of any attraction possible. Every manager, team lead, janitor, and every other type of team member was working crowd control and operations. Hell even park and resort executives, people from creative, and so on were there with name tags on making it as smooth as possible. They did such a good job that many people have this feeling it's been an unsuccessful addition to the park. Which couldn't be further from the truth in fact it's been so good that new doors have opened up. Finally what if I told you that on opening day of Diagon Alley double the number of guests entered USF then what did on June 18 2010 for phase 1...

So let's recap shall we, Diagon is a success plain and simple. If any trolls try to say otherwise just refer back to this post. Thanks!

PS: Fun Fact, Ollivanders in Diagon has 10 times more hourly capacity than Hogsmeade Ollivanders did when it opened in 2010. ;)

Universal did such a great job with crowd control in 2014 when they opened an attraction that wasn't ready and routinely offers guests 3-5 hour waits due to low capacity and breakdowns.

Hogwarts Express is a virtual walk on and Universal's plan to make all guests get park hoppers seems to be falling flat.

I hear it is a nice land, and it is drawing guests, but not as strongly as many predicted beforehand. Universal will not be passing Animal Kingdom this year in attendance, and with Frozen Summer Fun, DHS is more than safe.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
You wouldn't want Lasseter to be CCO of the whole company. I will give him credit for his successes, but he's not the creative dreamboat so many fans make him out to be. Thus far his influence at Imagineering has created Cars Land, which he happily takes credit for - but where was his influence on FLE? (Hint: it wasn't there, probably because the project didn't involve Woody, Buzz, Sully or Lightning McQueen) Why has he let WDW remain untouched during his tenure? Perhaps he'd like to claim responsibility for the Rapunzel potties?

He is a champion of his studio's IP and little else. Many of the people who still get it in Disney (an admittedly small number) have stories about the guy that would curdle milk. Suffice to say, his creative compass doesn't always point due north, and that's been evident at Pixar in the past three years.

I agree with Spirit's reply to your post for the most part but I'd like to just for the record state that while I believe there should be a company wide creative executive, I don't necessarily think that Lasseter is the only man who could fill it. He'd be an excellent choice if he had ample time to devote to it but there might be external options that could really do wonders given the same role.

HTF

Universal did such a great job with crowd control in 2014 when they opened an attraction that wasn't ready and routinely offers guests 3-5 hour waits due to low capacity and breakdowns.

Hogwarts Express is a virtual walk on and Universal's plan to make all guests get park hoppers seems to be falling flat.

I hear it is a nice land, and it is drawing guests, but not as strongly as many predicted beforehand. Universal will not be passing Animal Kingdom this year in attendance, and with Frozen Summer Fun, DHS is more than safe.

Ahhhh I see now, no matter what anyone says it's Disney or die right... Well I'll let it go cause your response above is so far off track I can't argue with you about it. Enjoy your Olaf on a stick, your tolerance for subpar performance is the real reason TDO does what it does and gets away with it. People like you would rather wait 6 hours in line to take a picture with an actor cause it's magical than visit the most immersive and advanced theme park land ever created cause it's Universal. I need to call Mr Woodbury and let him know one of the trolls escaped Gringotts.

Blocking feature enabled!

Mike C

Source?

Hogwarts Express was over an hour wait time most of the day today on both ends, it does slow down late in the evening. Gringott's has been more much more up than not, it just is very popular.

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

I love all WDW watercraft, I guess. All those boats everywhere! That so caught my imagination when I was young. The Empress Lilly, despite being precisely the one that can't sail, is the prettiest one of all, the one I like best. She also holds many personal memories. And is a symbol of how I view WDW: with great regret how they took a place that was once elegant and sophisticated, and then turned it into a loud abrasive joint for the great unwashed.

I'd love to have my own sternwheeler! That is just terrific! I adore sternwheelers in general. They are so lovely American. I'm instantly transported not just to the past, but also to the Mississippi or exotic (yes!) Ohio. Do you perchance own the Miss Lily landing barge? Is that yours? That one would be so awesome to have at WDW. Would love that for cruises and weddings on the Seven Seas.

I would have never guessed you like boats! ;)

I must admit, it brings a wonderful dynamic to WDW. It would be very much missed if they were docked.

the.dreamfinder

I agree with Spirit's reply to your post for the most part but I'd like to just for the record state that while I believe there should be a company wide creative executive, I don't necessarily think that Lasseter is the only man who could fill it. He'd be an excellent choice if he had ample time to devote to it but there might be external options that could really do wonders given the same role.
Thomas Tull?

sweetpee_1993

BTW, where the hell is @sweetpee_1993 ? I thought she wanted to discuss this here? :)

I've been mulling and practicing my one-liners to prepare for my triumphant contribution to a Spirited thread.

One does not simply *post* in the Spirit's thread.
(I don't know how to create those memes with the picture and all. Man, I could had a hum-dinger there!)

Admittedly, I feel like my opinions or thoughts can easily fall into non-validity on the topic as a whole because when we were at DL in May most of the NOS facades were behind tarps. So who am I to criticize or compare when I've never actually seen any of it? Additionally, I'm concerned that I may come off as that sour grapes person since obviously I'm not throwing the big bucks around even if the opportunity was presented to me to be part of the club. I don't wanna be that kinda b-witch. Ultimately, what my current not-biased by personal history feeling is does have a twinge of pea-green-ness. That's the habit of the fangurl in me + that competitive side. But, mostly, I find the club in it's current existence....rude. I'll get to that, tho. I may be opinionated and perhaps abrasive when I let myself go but I pride myself in being polite and kind as a human being. I do have a heart. Remember that when I get to the rude part.

We lived in the New Orleans area (Louisiana, the actual place) for roughly 10 years. If anyone is curious, we lived in Kenner, LaPlace, Abita Springs, and Covington. Some of our dearest friends are visiting us this weekend from Des Allemands. We spent many a day/evening in the actual French Quarter. The pictures I had seen of NOS before the tarps went up were so amazing to me. I really did itch to see all of it for myself. I was thoroughly unhappy about the CoA being taken before I got out west. Best I could tell, NOS was well-done. It captured that charm found in the actual New Orleans French Quarter (sans the undesirable elements, of course). The tarps we saw while we were there hinted at something familiar and comforting to us. Honest. Being in that side queue area of Haunted Mansion was pretty awesome even when it was so unGodly hot. Why? Because the visuals were comforting in a familiarity with the style. I love touring the old homes along River Road. I used to make my man drive me up & down St. Charles just so I could gaze at the grand old homes. So, yeah, I know what New Orleans is like. I know that style, even the eclectic-ness of it well.

So then the tarps came down and I see the pics of the facades start appearing and I'm astounded at how chopped up things are. I asked in another thread if that structure that goes across between the buildings where you walk underneath has always been there but didn't get an answer. I'm not positive. If it has always been there, it doesn't look it. If it's new, it shows. Either way, it looks like crap. You know the movement towards utilizing repurposed storage containers for inhabitable structures? That's what I thought of when I saw that bridged area. It looks like there was beautiful, well-done facades complete with the characteristic ornate wrought iron railings lining 2nd level balconies along a winding back street in the French Quarter.....then BAM! A kid with building blocks came along and plopped a stucco-covered storage container down across the buildings. Let's build a fort, boys! LOL! I'm down with building blocks, fort-building, and storage container construction. I love that stuff. That structure in that setting sticks out like a sore thumb. Very disruptive to the story that I was almost charmed into. The off-center window that faces The RoA. While, yes, you do see quirkiness like that in the French Quarter, there's some authentic details that might not be the best fit for the audience to fully grasp. Also, you're talking about a visual that will be seen from areas not in NoS proper. Too much in the wrong place. Personally, I think a better option would have been to let the window be offset from center on the interior then use drapes or other decorative elements to play it off visually. Easier to do from the inside than the outside.

The big windows look weird. I get they wanted to offer club guests views but, eh, no. Better option? Faux French doors. Floor to ceiling windows. That's what you find in the French Quarter. Why? Because historically, they would open the doors and windows to get cross breezes off the river. The windows/doors are characteristically floor to ceiling. Tall. Not simply oversized. Typically tall and narrow.

Then there's the food. I saw Monkey bread? That's funny. For the price to play I personally would expect more. I'm sure they have better stuff on the menu, tho. Hopefully. Don't get me wrong, my Gramma passed her heavenly Monkey bread recipe to all of us who asked over the years. That's some kinda comfort food for me. I just thought it was an odd, cheap? choice for the setting. Yes, slap-ya-momma good Monkey bread is very easy and inexpensive to make.

I think the club as it was had a mystique and deep historical significance to the park. So much of what was there were Walt's choices. I thought the old door was perfect because if you wanted to find it you could but it wasn't something that you couldn't help but spot. So for the members it truly held the charm of being low-key as a good ol' speak-easy might've been. Trust me, a speak-easy didn't draw attention to themselves. With the new entrance I can honestly say I'm surprised there's not a sign that says something along the lines of "Members only. For information on becoming a member call (xxx)xxx-xxx."

I agree whole heartedly with your opinions of the interior design. It's nice...even beautiful...but it could be anywhere. You wouldn't look at a pic and know exactly where that is. It lacks the historic soul and distinguishing hints at what the place is. It's just a nice lounge and a nice restaurant. Well, like you said, there's nice lounges and restaurants at DL and elsewhere. So, how is it special?

I love when people say, "It's the only place in DL you can have a cocktail which is part of the exclusivity." I have to laugh. Were none of these people any shade of teenage hooligan in their time? Trust me, if I want a cocktail in DL park proper I'll have one or several and I won't be paying crazy membership fees, kissing up to members for a hall pass, or spending money on overpriced libations. ;)

I think the club and it's members have been put on display to the average guest now. Look at THIS. But most guests will never get to go there or experience that. That's counterproductive to the purpose of referring to your paying customers as "guests", don't you think? Flaunting unobtainable exclusivity is tacky. Classy people don't do that. I certainly wouldn't treat any guest in my home that way. And THAT is where I find what has been done with the club as RUDE. I was taught to welcome guests in my home with far more eloquence than that. Really. It's very fundamental stuff.

But, you know, this is the Disney of today. They've tapped into the tiered magic money stream. Come to us for magical memories.....but you could have more magic if you spend $$$ for this....and the better magical memories are here if you spend $$$$$... It's what Disney does now. It irks those of us who know that things like magic and memories aren't tiered, bought, or sold as Mickey would have us think. They didn't used to be and things were great then. But it's the nature of things now. Club 33? It's the top tier of magical things to have. If it's worth it to some, more power to 'em. I'd rather go more places, do more things, keep my money, and still have more magic then Disney produces nowadays. That's just me.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did get access to 1901 when we were there in May. If Club 33 had been open we would've dined there as we were guests of members. I have zero ties to any company or wealthy people in California. LOL! I'm no lifestyler. I don't have a blog (yet, I'm considering it as a place to store our travel stories for my husband to enjoy at his leisure when he's not at home. Apparently re-re-re-reading my trip reports is his happy thing when he gets breaks at work or when he's out of town on business). No person, company, entity, etc. stands to gain a single thing from my reflections. I posted on a random thread on another forum that I found it easier to not get my feelings hurt about all the things I can't do at DL like go into the clubs or ride in the Lilly Belle by pretending they don't even exist. 2 club members separately, privately reached out to me. These were complete strangers. I had nothing to offer them in return. (I'm not that kinda girl! LOL!) I did find a bit of humanity redemption in the random generosity of both these members who both expressed that part of the value in their membership experience came in sharing it. Maybe it's fun to show it off. I'm choosing to think better and recall the fun in taking first timers to WDW and on DCL. Don't burst that bubble for me! LOL! The member that took us to 1901 and offered us all the other perks he could get for the day was a very nice gentleman and his wife. These were not the show-offy types at all. Plain old folks like us. Family their raising. Disney fans. Their income to cost of living (they live up near San Francisco) probably isn't grossly different from ours, really. We have a boat and all the expenses associated with that because it's what we (read: the hard-working bread-winner husband) enjoys. Really, annual membership dues aren't a whole lot more than that. Disney is a hobby, one they make happen because it's what they value not much different from us (husband) and the boat. Whether or not this was ever intended to be the type of person who held the club membership, I don't know. But I can tell you that the member I had the pleasure of meeting was a regular guy, friendly and not so different from us. Pretty down to earth couple. Definitely enjoyed their company far more than any venue. THAT is what I took from our experience. It was the human experience, not the geography.

There's my novel! Bet you regret ever tagging me, Spirit! Hahaha!

But seriously, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Mike S

Source?

Hogwarts Express was over an hour wait time most of the day today on both ends, it does slow down late in the evening. Gringott's has been more much more up than not, it just is very popular.
Woah, are you serious? I never saw it go above 20 when I was there. I guess most people did put off their Uni trips until a little after Diagon Alley opened.

WDWFigment

Clearly he didn't like your photography enough to pick up the tab! How gauche. :D

They removed the history. They removed Walt. They made it a showcase for exclusivity and paying more than the peons. It was actually the opposite of what the Club was originally built as. They destroyed much of the charm of NoS to achieve this and made sure any/every one would know about its existence. BTW, has the DPB put up posts or video or pics yet? Again, that is the tacky money-grubbing Disney Way.

I don't know. I had a great meal with 'Angie' at the Napa Rose last month. It was under $200 for the two of us with alcohol and desserts. I've never had a bad meal there or even just a 'good' one and there is no pretentiousness about dining there.

That 'tude is also prevalent at Trader Joe's, which I like and the fanbois seem to love, which is expanding to Florida now.

I don't think so. I don't know of one Lifestyler who hasn't been to Club 33, and I just don't buy they all have friends. Look at videos online and they come from Lifestylers, folks who would likely never be admitted to a local country club. I truly believe the new elevator was added to allow for those ECVers to get in.

I would guess that many of the oldtimers didn't want to see change, yet alone like this.

It isn't something I think of greatly because unless someone is taking me, I'm not going. I'll gladly hang out at a food court at the Beverly Center with a true Disney Legend chowing down on fast food versus going to 'Walt's club' to feel special and self-important.

BTW, where the hell is @sweetpee_1993 ? I thought she wanted to discuss this here? :)

To clarify, I think Napa Rose is the best restaurant at Disneyland Resort by a wide margin. Seems like there might have been a misunderstanding of my post based on what you wrote about your meal there...

As for Club 33 and Lifestylers, I know a large number have been there. However, at its highest, that large number (as I know it) is ~200. Most who are not members only seem to visit once. Based on timestamps of things shared, these visits are occurring over the course of multiple years. For the sake of argument, though, let's say one party of Lifestylers visits per day (I think this is a high number, but I'll concede it for the sake of discussion). That's still a very small minority of all visitors. Even if 5 parties of Lifestylers are there per day, it's still a small number in the grand scheme of things.

Also, just so I'm not lumped into the 'would likely never be admitted to a local country club' crowd, here's a photo of us last time we visited Club 33. We respect its history and always dressed accordingly. So your implication that all Lifestylers are unkempt slobs isn't totally true...

sarah-tom-bricker-club-33copy.jpg

Based on what I've read, many of the old-timer Club 33 members are irate about some of the changes. The question is whether this group is the majority or the vocal minority? If the majority of Club 33 members are corporate accounts or simply affluent members of SoCal society with no strong connection to Disneyland, chances are very high that they aren't chiming in on social media or Disney fan sites one way or the other. They simply don't care enough to express an opinion about the refurbishment, other than to their party members while they are there.

I'm not saying it's definitely the case that the majority of Club 33 members didn't care about the history, just floating it as a possibility. To be abundantly clear, even if that possibility is the actuality, it doesn't make what was done with Club 33 justifiable. Disney could have pleased both those looking for a refreshed, elegant design, and those who are passionate about Disney history.

sweetpee_1993

To clarify, I think Napa Rose is the best restaurant at Disneyland Resort by a wide margin. Seems like there might have been a misunderstanding of my post based on what you wrote about your meal there...

As for Club 33 and Lifestylers, I know a large number have been there. However, at its highest, that large number (as I know it) is ~200. Most who are not members only seem to visit once. Based on timestamps of things shared, these visits are occurring over the course of multiple years. For the sake of argument, though, let's say one party of Lifestylers visits per day (I think this is a high number, but I'll concede it for the sake of discussion). That's still a very small minority of all visitors. Even if 5 parties of Lifestylers are there per day, it's still a small number in the grand scheme of things.

Also, just so I'm not lumped into the 'would likely never be admitted to a local country club' crowd, here's a photo of us last time we visited Club 33. We respect its history and always dressed accordingly. So your implication that all Lifestylers are unkempt slobs isn't totally true...

sarah-tom-bricker-club-33copy.jpg

Based on what I've read, many of the old-timer Club 33 members are irate about some of the changes. The question is whether this group is the majority or the vocal minority? If the majority of Club 33 members are corporate accounts or simply affluent members of SoCal society with no strong connection to Disneyland, chances are very high that they aren't chiming in on social media or Disney fan sites one way or the other. They simply don't care enough to express an opinion about the refurbishment, other than to their party members while they are there.

I'm not saying it's definitely the case that the majority of Club 33 members didn't care about the history, just floating it as a possibility. To be abundantly clear, even if that possibility is the actuality, it doesn't make what was done with Club 33 justifiable. Disney could have pleased both those looking for a refreshed, elegant design, and those who are passionate about Disney history.
Tom, I think you and Sarah don't typically get lumped in with the lifestylers term in it's general sense. Even @WDW1974 spelled that out in the past few days. I don't lump you in that way. You bring more legitimacy to the game than all that.

Have very much enjoyed what you've had to say and look forward to reading a full-blown review after you get back to 33 for another visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom